Author Topic: Oil-pulling, Anyone?  (Read 77050 times)

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
Oil-pulling, Anyone?
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:19:04 AM »
I saw this subject mentioned in another thread, and I went to www.oilpulling.com to read more about it.  There is a huge thread on curezone about this, too, with various amounts of success.  Many people talk about improvements with dental health issues; the incidence of success for problems such as psoriasis, eczema, and many other issues isn't as consistent, but there are testimonials there.  Anyone have any experience/knowledgeable guesses with this?  Like someone said, it sounds too good (and too cheap!) to be true, but it would be great if it worked at all!

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
Re: Oil-pulling, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:06:54 AM »
It sounds very interesting. I almost want to try it!
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 04:28:15 AM »
Dh and I were al set to do this a while back and then for some reason, didn't.  I did do it one day with Olive oil.  Wasn't too bad.  But of course there were no health benefits LOL cuz I only did it once.

But it's back on the table and we are talking about trying it once again.

Sounds like its worth a try to me  :)
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:56:45 AM »
I came across this on curezone a week or so ago...it sounds too fantastic to carry any weight :-\ but hey  :-X it is so simple. I'll probably try it just to see ;) if it changes anything.  ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 05:05:09 AM »
I came across this on curezone a week or so ago...it sounds too fantastic to carry any weight :-\ but hey  :-X it is so simple. I'll probably try it just to see ;) if it changes anything.  ::)
simple?   :P  You've probably never put a tablespoon of olive oil in your mouth.   :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 05:19:48 AM »
What does it do to your bowel movements?!  :o
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »
simple?   :P  You've probably never put a tablespoon of olive oil in your mouth.   :-X
So I had to go try it right away even though it is after breakfast ;D ::) Should it be hard or something? It is a challenge to swish for that long without swallowing, but am I missing something :-\

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:37:45 AM »
What does it do to your bowel movements?!  :o
Hopefully nothing since you aren't swallowing it ???

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 05:49:35 AM »
Well a friend of ours is a dentist and he said that toothpaste is a total waste of money.  He said to brush your teeth AND GUMS with a plain toothbrush.  He said that the most important step of all is rinsing with warm water for at least a minute.  (All of this stemmed from me asking what people did before floss was invented.)  He said that swishing robustly and vigorously with water is imperative. 

And cold press sunflower oil or sesame oil I've never seen on the shelves, only cold press olive oil (which the site says isn't as good).

But is this a viable way of pulling toxins out?  It sounds sketchy to say that not swallowing will protect you because holding something under your tongue is the fastest way to get it into your bloodstream.  So if you're swishing all those toxins for that long, you've got to be re-absorbing them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:54:16 AM by ShabbyChic »
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 05:04:46 PM »
I don't know about the toxins being released or anything, but here's what I've noticed. It DOES help remove debris and/or bacteria that may be lurking in your mouth. The vigorous extended swishing (which you have to do to move the olive oil around) really does knock stuff loose that may have been missed by flossing. Added to this is the benefit of the soothing/healing oil. I had a sore spot that had been slow to heal. Two days of this took care of it.

Also, I brush with baking soda and rinse with oral hydrogen peroxide. However, since starting the oil pulling, it just feels like there is less bacterial activity AND my teeth do seem to be whitening. This is after just a few days.  :-\ ???
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »
The vigorous extended swishing (which you have to do to move the olive oil around) really does knock stuff loose that may have been missed by flossing.
  :-\ ???

The site talked about not using anything besides sesame and the other oil...uhhh..something with a c. Anyhow, I am wondering what is the scientific, health difference? If you are noticing the the difference in just a few days with olive oil what would happen if you use the right oil? Hmmm...

I am going to try this to. I actually have some sesame oil. I took a picture of my teeth this morning. I am going to do this for a while and then take another picture to compare them. I am my own guinea pig! ;D

Seriously though, does anyone know what the difference is in oil?
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 02:50:28 AM »
I just had my first experience at oil pulling.  It was not bad at all.  It seemed like I ended up with alot of liquid in my mouth after 20 minutes.  But boy oh boy do my teeth feel clean. I used sunflower oil.  I will keep trying this twice a day and see what happens!
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
Anyone have any guesses as why this has to be on an empty stomach.  I am continually forgetting to do this in the morning before I eat, and I just wondered if this is a strict guideline, or just an "it works best this way."  Thanks!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 03:54:32 AM »
Anyone have any guesses as why this has to be on an empty stomach.  I am continually forgetting to do this in the morning before I eat, and I just wondered if this is a strict guideline, or just an "it works best this way."  Thanks!

According to what I've read on curezone, I don't think toxins are actually being drawn into the olive oil, although they may be. Putting oil in your mouth causes a salivary response that starts your liver squirting bile. Squirting this excess bile frees your liver up to handle more toxins and I think extra toxins are in the bile. Doing it on an empty stomach is so the bile can go immediately through your intestines rather than be caught up in the digestion process & stay in your body.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 05:19:50 AM »
According to what I've read on curezone, I don't think toxins are actually being drawn into the olive oil, although they may be. Putting oil in your mouth causes a salivary response that starts your liver squirting bile. Squirting this excess bile frees your liver up to handle more toxins and I think extra toxins are in the bile. Doing it on an empty stomach is so the bile can go immediately through your intestines rather than be caught up in the digestion process & stay in your body.

That answers my question.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:00:19 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 06:59:56 AM »

That actually sounds reasonable.  Thanks for posting.  Drawing toxins out through the mouth, just sounded "off" to me.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
It's also called oil sucking or oil swishing. You might find more if you look up that.

PS - IMO it works with many different oils. It worked with my son with virgin coconut oil (on accident  :o) I actually think it caused something to become disloged from his bile ducts! I would think they are just encouraging you to use a healthy oil such as olive oil instead of an unhealthy one.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 09:07:28 AM by likemanywaters »
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 03:09:17 PM »
That makes sense. It was an ah ha moment for me!
Visit my-

Gabriel

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »
On another link I have been reading (earth mother I think it is called) they use all kinds of different oils. Coconut oil helps with antiviral, olive oil helps with something else. One of the ladies on one of the curezone links has tried all kinds of oils from hemp to apricot.  She said that each one helps in its own way and she likes to switch from time to time.  I know the man that came up with this wanted only sunflower and sesame oils but people have experimented and found lots of  things work.  After reading several sites, I decided to go to town and get some coconut oil and olive oil as well as ACV and baking soda (something else I read on the earth mother site).  I will try to remember to update my progress, if any.  It would be nice. I have been horrible with my health and my skin and teeth have suffered for it, not to mention the brain fog and in general feeling lousy. 

In Christian love,
Gabriel

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 04:17:23 PM »
That makes sense. It was an ah ha moment for me!

I've been having HUNDREDS of those this week.  ;D

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
There truely has to be more to this salivary response thing than meets the eye. The first time when I gave him a spoonful of coconut oil (& then Kombucha), he was in serious pain in his stomach, crying, then turned yellow, nearly threw up, and then had diahrrea.

Tonight, I decided the reason he was feeling so lethargic and slow was all the toxins his liver was releasing was moving too slowly through his system, so I decided to feed him a bran porridge to speed up bowel transit time. He placed one bite in his mouth, started crying and desperately tried to scrape all of it out of his mouth. I thought he was just being picky, so later I tried to feed it to him again by sneaking some blueberries in it. After he swallowed a few bites, he started crying, spitting it out, and said his tummy hurt. He cried several minutes.

My theory: His mouth told his liver to squirt some of the excess toxins. But it must have hurt him for some reason. Could something be lodged in the bile ducts? Or is the release of toxic bile just painful in general? Maybe it was because he had a full stomach?

I know he doesn't chew his food well enough, so his body may not have enough time to tell his pancreas to release the proper enzymes to digest it? The mouth preps the body for what is coming. I bet THAT is why he does not like the milk thistle powder we sprinkle on his food. Not because of the taste, but because of the response his liver is having to it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 07:03:18 AM by likemanywaters »

YoopreMama

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:15 AM »
You nuts! ;D  (I say that with much affection...)  :-*

What else am I going to try b/c of WTM?!  LOL.

I am sitting here, on minute 5 of my 1st sesame oil pull.  Read about it last night in likemanywaters' post...my son is wondering why I am making weird noises and not talking...I'm probably foaming at the mouth, too... ::)  ROFL.  Guess I can resort to sign language and notes w/ my reader....

It feels thin and watery...not a bad taste...I feel some trickling down my throat, though.  I doubt I'll make 20 minutes.  Baby steps, I guess! Man, my cheeks are getting sore!!!!   :o

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 04:36:25 AM »
OK, this is day 3 of the oil pulling.  I am going to the bathroom alto!  Yesterday I was very sleepy all day.  I guess this is detoxing?????

Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »
OK, this is day 3 of the oil pulling.  I am going to the bathroom alto!  Yesterday I was very sleepy all day.  I guess this is detoxing?????

Yep, sounds like it to me!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 08:25:01 AM »
I did this yesterday with roasted sesame oil and it actually tasted good!  I don't want to eat plain oil, but it was not the nauseous taste I was expecting.  I put it in and started swishing........ like Yoppermama said, I didn't think I would ever make it the full 15 minutes!  I decided to get in the shower since it was dribbling.  :-X  Sorry for the mental pics!  ::)  I managed to do it the WHOLE 15 MINUTES!  The oil was a rich dark brown when I started, well it was NOT when I was done!  I actually felt my liver doing something twice during the time.  i just didn't have the will power this morn, but I want to do it before supper this evening.  On a side note, my teeth felt awesome afterwards!
Have fun oil pulling everyone!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

YoopreMama

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:45 AM »
You all make me laugh!   :D

I did make it 20 minutes...and I'm so sleepy now!  Whatever does that mean?  Detox, I guess.  I, too, kind of enjoyed the taste of the sesame oil, but I was a-droolin', too!   :P  Shower was a good idea, as to where to do it.

3x a day, huh?  I guess I missed the lunch dose.  ::)  What do you think my small group at church would think tonight if I did my oil pull before our potluck supper?   ::) :P ;D

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 08:36:54 AM »
 ;) :D  I say GO FOR IT!!   :o :P
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Gabriel

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 08:39:19 AM »
I did the pulling this morning with solid coconut oil. I only used a teaspoon since it was solid form.  I started with 5 minutes and then spit, then put in another teaspoon for 10 minutes.  Both times it was milky white and it surprised me how fast it became really thin like water.  I hope that does not mean I am overloading the oil with toxins quickly.  I did not find the oil that bad either.  It is not pleasant by any means having oil in your mouth but I figure if I can put McD's french fries in my mouth, I can put something really good for me in there too:)  Afterwards my tongue looked really clean. I normally have a film on there that is hard to remove, even with brushing and mouthwash.  I figure the oil did some good there. Shortly after doing the pull I started getting a headache. I don't know if it is directly related though. I am trying to give up caffeine or at least soda and tea at this point.  I also notice my liver (I believe it is) has been kind of achy today.  It has hurt in the past but not the achy feeling I feel right now.  I imagine the oil is doing good stuff to me, even after one time of doing it.  I plan to do it again tomorrow, and doing it 3 times a day. 

Offline lavendergirl

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
so can you do this while taking YA, Supermom, and Cod liver oil? That's probably a dumb question but i'm not always sure what can be combined ::) Also how long do you wait before each meal as you have to do it on an empty stomach, right?  This sounds intriguing but unusal ;) I have had some gallbladder pains from time to time so it would be interesting to see if my liver did something.

Becky

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 10:41:42 AM »
I have been told you wait 5 hours after food, and one hour after a drink.