Author Topic: Cutting Electric Bills  (Read 2839 times)

freshisbest

Cutting Electric Bills
« on: January 23, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »
Our cost of electric has gone up 30% in the last year so I'm trying to conserve where I can. I run a laptop computer....try not to spend TOO much time on it!
My questions is, should I leave it running all the time; does it use MORE energy to turn it on and off, say 3 times a day ? Should I turn it ON in the a.m. and OFF at dinnertime? Does the microwave use more energy than the electric stove if you just want to heat something up? Or boil water?

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
Re: Cutting Electric Bills
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:38:04 PM »
I do not know much about computer electrical use, but I asked my husband, the computer king (we have a 1 to 5 person to computer ratio in our house  ;D).  He said that if you are only turning it on 3 times a day it would be more cost effective to power it down and power it up each time.  However, the stand by setting that lap tops put themselves in after a little while, that if you find that you are powering up 6+ times a day it would be faster to just keep the computer up.

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
Our electric bill has been high due to our usage as well as the rate.  ::)

I have found a few things that are money savers:

Clothesline
Lower wattage Light Bulbs
Using one light per room
Turning down the water heater
Taking shorter showers
Washing clothes in cold water only (except the cloth diapers)
Not using the dry cycle on the dishwasher

Hope that helps!  :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:57:01 AM by mommyofeight »
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 12:26:34 PM »
Lots of great tips mommyof8, sounds like us  ;D
One other thing I do
I Don't use my oven frequently, normally once a week.  On that day I bake bread, muffins, sometimes something sweet and our dinner for that evening. As soon as the baked things are cool they get popped in the freezer for later use. 

We lived in a house with a "power stat". It had a digital read out of the amount in dollar/cent that was being used and we learned a lot about what items took the most energy :o. It was also cool because you would use a prepay card that you swipe through this power stat and then it would count down and you could see what you used today, last week, last month....  Anyway........good luck!  ;D

Offline Pink Lady

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:40:22 PM »
In the summer I try to use the oven once a week and then augment with leftovers, fresh things, and the BBQ. I also boil water for kombucha or potatoes on the BBQ (it has a side burner) and I let them cool off outside too so the heat doesn't dissipate into the house.

I have the children take baths one right after the other so that the tub and air doesn't cool off and take more heat to warm up. I turn the furnace off at 7:30 and by bedtime (9:00) we are all ready to climb into bed! I get up before everyone else so I turn it back on.

I made extra window covers out of fleece to hang over our pathetic single pane windows (used the 40% off coupon at Jo-Anns and it cost about twenty-five dollars). I had my handyman put up an extra curtain rod under the valances on the windows and I hang the fleece drapes on that on really cold days or just at night.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amanda

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
Oh, I forgot about the BBQ grill... that is a GREAT way to save on $ in the summer time. You don't heat up your house any more than it already is. In Texas that is important. ;)
And we usually bathe 2 kids at a time to save on hot water. We also don't bathe them everyday.
Now a question about the "Power Stat"... Where can you find this?
We have heard that putting in a digital thermostat will save money too. We have not done this as we live in a rental. But with the electric bills going as high as they are, we may do it anyway.  :o
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

freshisbest

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 03:05:51 AM »
Yes would like that " Power Stat" thing...we have digital, programmable thermostats and they help a lot....

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:10:24 AM »
Concerning the "Power Stat" you would have to ask your local electric company.  Ours discontinued selling them.  Those who have them may continue using but we can't get one for our new place  :(. They are wonderful!!! IMO

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:45:40 AM »
My hubby is a stickler about this stuff! Don't forget the little things like turning out the lights when your not in a room (and training children to do the same). Turning off the oven promptly when you are done cooking so it doesn't stay on. We turn our computer off every evening....but it is used frequently during the day. We only have one heater, so we close doors of rooms we are not in. The clothes dryer is a major user of electricity, I guess you could hang dry in front of a heater or something? I still use my dryer though. Oh, I just use warm or cold in my washer to cut on the use of the water heater. One way to see how much electricity an appliance uses it to turn it on and then go look to see how fast the dial is spinning...the faster the more electricity it takes.

my two cents.