Author Topic: Drinking water....  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
Drinking water....
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:25:16 PM »
OK...I know that drinking lots of water is vital to your health....but I really don't like water  :-\.  It probably has something to do with drinking nothing but soda for most of my life :o :-[.  I have for the most part cut that out, and I decided, among many other goals this year, to start drinking lots more water, but no matter how hard I try, it's just really hard for me to drink a lot of it.  I have found though, that if I add a slice of lemon and a few drops of stevia, I can chug a ton of it.  Is that just as good, or would it be better to omit the lemon and stevia?
Laura
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: Drinking water....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:29:18 PM »
I've heard (I think either on this site or in NT) that lemon water is actually better than water.  And adding stevia probably isn't the best, but it's better than drinking no water at all.  How about tea?  I just got some AMAZING bilberry cut leaf tea from bulk herb store and it's phenomenal.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
I've heard (I think either on this site or in NT) that lemon water is actually better than water.  And adding stevia probably isn't the best, but it's better than drinking no water at all.  How about tea?  I just got some AMAZING bilberry cut leaf tea from bulk herb store and it's phenomenal.
What does it taste like?  Is it fruity or herb-y?

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 04:59:31 PM »
It's probably ok, but I've heard you should drink lemon water with a straw to protect your teeth enamel!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 05:45:38 PM »
I always drink from a straw so my teeth don't get as stained.  Teeth are translucent so often stains show trough from the backside.  Caramel coloring (found mostly in sodas) is the worst!  Thankfully I kicked the soda and coffee habit a few years back!  I've heard that lemons are tough on enamel, too, which is sad because my sons and I love to eat lemons. 

The bilberry tea is more fruity than herby to me, but not as fruity as commercial teas.  It is just the cut leaves with no extra flavoring (like the commercial teas).  I'll have to admit, the lighter flavor is very good.  I did not use any milk or honey with it.  But there are lots of teas to choose from!  I also love the cut lef mother's milk tea.  It has a horehound/licorice taste.  SO GOOD! 

I also like to drink kefir and waterd down orange juice together.  Tastes like an orange julius!

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
I also have a hard time drinking a lot of water.  I find that if I fill up a water bottle to take to work, like a nalginde, the water tastes bad after a little while.  I don't know if it is because of the plastic or if the water has a lot of impurities that I don't taste when it is colder.  Does anyone know if there is a "good" way of transporting water if you have to away from home for a while.

Offline Pitty-Pat

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:57 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I do drink it with a straw.  Not because I knew that about tooth enamel though....I just like straws.....lol.  That's good to know, though, I will keep using a straw.  It's encouraging to know that the lemon makes it even better for me.  I can't imagine that a few drops of stevia can be too bad, can it?
"...it [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:32 AM »
No.  It's not.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 05:18:40 AM »
I saw that someone recommended tea as a replacement for water.  I drink about 48 oz. of tea daily (all different types, none with caffeine) and the rest is either water, seltzer or OJ.  I always make sure I get 64 oz. but I've been feeling badly that I don't drink much water.  Is tea just as good and the water thing is just a way of saying we should avoid sweetened drinks?  ~L

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:35 AM »
Bump

Nickole

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:26 AM »
I saw that someone recommended tea as a replacement for water.  I drink about 48 oz. of tea daily (all different types, none with caffeine) and the rest is either water, seltzer or OJ.  I always make sure I get 64 oz. but I've been feeling badly that I don't drink much water.  Is tea just as good and the water thing is just a way of saying we should avoid sweetened drinks?  ~L

I think caffeine dehydrates you, so if you drink caffeinated tea, you will need more water.  I notice that if I am drinking black tea all day, I get dry mouth.  If you are drinking herbal tea, I don't think you necessarily need extra water.

Someone mentioned the taste of bottled water being different.  I notice the longer I keep the water in the bottle, the more it does taste plasticy (I make up words - sorry), which has got to tell me something!  :P  I think on www.mercola.com he recently did an article on plastic leaching into water in water bottles.  Still, we bring water bottles in the car (can't think of an alternative), but now I don't keep them if they haven't been emptied.  If the water isn't gone, I dump it.  Maybe you can bring the bottled water to work, and keep a glass at your desk to empty the water in when you get there.  That's what I would do.  So your water isn't in the plastic bottle too long.