Author Topic: My dad needs help!!  (Read 8276 times)

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
My dad needs help!!
« on: January 21, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
Hi everyone,
    I wanted to get some advise and knowledge from all of you out there for my mom and I as we're working on helping my dad get healthy. Heart disease runs in his family - both of his parents had heart attacks at early ages - even his younger brother has had a heart attack. His blood pressure is high. He has had a huge amount of stress this past year.... He's always been a bad sleeper, but now he takes a medication to be able to sleep, and even then, it sometimes isn't effective. He struggles with anxiety and depression at times. He is overweight.
   Dad takes several prescription meds - Sonata (zaleplon), Alpazolam, Vytorin, Toprol, and Lisinopril. He also takes fish oil, CoQ10, and asprin. I think those are the ones he's taking - there may be others, I'll have to check. He's taken some of the statin drugs in the past.
   Anyone have any advice? We need to deal with the weight problem, the cholesterol problem, the anxiety/sleep issue, blood pressure.... I hate to see him on all these drugs!! I think we'd be open to trying him on some herbal products, but in a VERY low cost way (ie: we can't start him on more than one or two reasonably priced products - can't afford it!)
   Looking forward to hearing from you all.... I did a search but this topic didn't seem to bring up any info....

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Re: My dad needs help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Oatmeal is cheap and lowers cholesterol.  Starting with a bowl of it every morning is good.  Don't sweeten it with sugar, stick to fruit (bananas and raisins are cheap) or honey.

And taking a nice 30-45 minute walk every day is the best exercise you can get.  It isn't too hard on the joints, you don't have to buy any "stuff", and you can start slow and work your way up. 

Set reasonable short term and long term goals.  Okay, today I'd like to just walk for 10 minutes.  By the end of February I'd like to be walking for 25 minutes.  By the end of March I'd like to be walking for 40 minutes.  I'm entering the Tri-county 3K Buddy walk in August.  And son on.

My dad bought a pedometer for $8 and it has helped him tremendously.

Be his buddy!  Encourage him!  Walk with him! Remind him how much you need him!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:03:52 PM »
I would read Eat Fat:  Lose Fat before making a decision on cholesterol.  According to this book high cholesterol is not a bad thing and in fact is less likely to cause a heart attack than low cholesterol.  The medication he is taking to lower his cholesterol is probably doing way more harm than good, because these drugs are very toxic to the liver.

Judging by his symptoms, his liver is toxic and he may have candida as well.  If he's ever taken antibiotics in his life, I'd said it's almost a surity.  This also adds to the toxicity of the liver.  It contributes to all the other symptoms you've listed as well except the cholesterol.

I would research candida, leaky gut and detoxing the liver and go from there.

Here are some links to get you started.

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 06:05:09 PM »
Thanks - -
    I thought of one more thing - - his liver is a big concern because of using the statin drugs - would a liver cleanse be safe? Would he need to do something like the Master Cleanse first, and would he be able to take his medications while on the MC?
Thanks again...

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 06:07:49 PM »
I would read Eat Fat:  Lose Fat before making a decision on cholesterol.  According to this book high cholesterol is not a bad thing and in fact is less likely to cause a heart attack than low cholesterol.  The medication he is taking to lower his cholesterol is probably doing way more harm than good, because these drugs are very toxic to the liver.

Judging by his symptoms, his liver is toxic and he may have candida as well.  If he's ever taken antibiotics in his life, I'd said it's almost a surity.  This also adds to the toxicity of the liver.  It contributes to all the other symptoms you've listed as well except the cholesterol.

I would research candida, leaky gut and detoxing the liver and go from there.

Here are some links to get you started.

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?

Thanks so much, HB - but I am curious - why do you suspect candida? I know that I personally have had MANY candida issues, but I never thought about that for dad's symptoms....
I have the book Eat Fat, Lose Weight out from the library right now - cool!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:11:43 PM »
Thanks so much, HB - but I am curious - why do you suspect candida? I know that I personally have had MANY candida issues, but I never thought about that for dad's symptoms....
I have the book Eat Fat, Lose Weight out from the library right now - cool!

You said he has high blood pressure, insomnia, anxiety, depression and he's overweight.  These are all symptoms of candida overgrowth and probably leaky gut syndrome...and he takes enough meds to almost kill his liver.  A toxic liver will contribute to candida and leaky gut along with taking antibiotics, eating too many carbs (I'd lay money he's a sugar addict) and taking anti-inflammatories.

Also, check this thread for more info on Depression and Anxiety.

Depression, Anxiety and other Neurological/Mental Disorders
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
Thanks - -
    I thought of one more thing - - his liver is a big concern because of using the statin drugs - would a liver cleanse be safe? Would he need to do something like the Master Cleanse first, and would he be able to take his medications while on the MC?
Thanks again...

I don't know.

Read the book on the Master Cleanse.  You can download it for free here.  It's attached to a post in the thread.

The Master Cleanse in PDF

Also, check curezone.com for more info on the liver cleanse.  Our thread on it is here and I believe Beka's first post will link you to curezone.

Liver Flush/Gallbladder Cleanse

There are other pointers for flushing the liver more slowly in the last link on Leaky Gut in my previous post.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:16 PM »
Heart disease also runs in my family and my cholesterol was 299.  I'm 36.  The body needs cholesterol but it is important to just the right amount.  Everything is a balance.  My doctor wanted me on statins and I told him to drop dead.  I lowered my cholesterol by eating fat.  Yep, fat.  2 tbls of cod liver oil daily.  Nuts, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, etc.  As much healthy fat as I could stand and I didn't shy away from lean red meats.  I ate more of them and added more fish to our diet.  I dropped my cholesterol 100 points in 12 weeks.  My triglycerides (which is really a better marker of heart health then total cholesterol) went from 212 to 67.  That is not a typo.  67.  Even with the test results in his hot little hands my doctor can't believe it.  I didn't exercise at all.  I think starting with eat fat/lose fat is a great way to go at this point.  After that, cod liver oil is a good bet.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 01:11:19 AM »
CNM2B,
Did you know that Vytorin is a combination statin drug? It's a newer drug, I wasn't sure if you were aware that is was a statin.

patti,
Thanks! My mom has high BP/high cholesterol & my dad has high cholesterol--I didn't know that Cod Liver Oil helped lower cholesterol. I'll have to get them a bottle. :)

Has anyone seen results from taking Hawthorne Berry and Cayenne for high BP?

Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 09:11:34 AM »
  He also takes fish oil, CoQ10, and asprin.

Is he taking vitamin E too? Your body can't use the CO Q 10 properly without it.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 10:06:52 AM »
I've heard of this product being very successful at helping the issues you talked about.  I do not have any personal experience with it.  I know it relies on omega 3s from fish oil.  You might check it out.  It's called ResQ 1250.  Here's the website.  http://www.n3inc.com/index2.html  I don't know how different it is from what you have already tried.  You can also get it other places from the official website, however if you call the company's number they will try to help you with your particular problems.  Great customer service!

Asthedeer1

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 10:24:09 AM »
I recommend reading the book "natural cures "they" don't want you to know about".  This is where I first learned about changing my families health, if their are other books that address many health issues please share.  You can also go to www.naturalcures.com.  Sounds like your dad really needs a lifestyle change, I don't think one thing here and there will change much.  If you let your body get that bad and are taking all those drugs you really need a body makeover.  I would start him on a candida cleanse and then a colon cleanse.  Is he really up for this or are you and your mom pushing it on him?  Not to sound negative, it's just that the person really needs to want to change. 

Rebecca :)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 10:47:14 AM »
I would recommend the book Left For Dead by Dick Quinn for $10.50

Left for dead by his doctors after a 1978 heart attack and failed bypass surgery, Dick Quinn discovered an herb that saved his life.

Left for Dead tells his remarkable story and shows how he controls blood pressure and cholesterol, cleans arteries, prevents heart attacks and enjoys a wonderful quality of life without drugs or special diets.

Heart Attack – "An overwhelming presence took charge of my spirit, my life force, my soul. I was floating in the air, watching my body down below…That was the day I died for the first time."

Open Heart Surgery – "Truly a remarkable performance by remarkably skilled people working together like a precision drill team, in an extraordinarily equipped operating theatre at a cost of many dollars and much pain. Too bad it doesn’t work."

Cholesterol – "I have lowered blood pressure and cholesterol, prevented heart attack, felt terrific and enjoyed a wonderful quality of life for years because of a common kitchen spice."

I would also read up on iodine and its role in health. The book Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It by David Brownsteain, M.D. would be worth the $15 purchase price. The book is written by a doctor in such a way that another physician would be able to quickly understand what tests are being done and how to monitor progress. This may be of comfort to him as you mention he is already under a doctor's care. There is a thread on WTM where this is discussed and weight is affected by the level of iodine in the body.

I will add this little bit of personal advice. It's just my own personal take. When you are dealing with people who have decided to place their trust in a doctor -- especially people who are your elders -- you won't accomplish much good by taking a look at their medicine cabinet and gasping in dismay. If you really want to help him, you'll have to start with him where he is now. Find out what issues HE wants to address. If someone else is running the show and telling him what to do, he may likely rebel and undermine all efforts. Don't blame him. I might too.

You'll accomplish so much more by being willing to build his trust by starting with just one simple thing that is of concern to him and then slowly moving forward as he gives you the green light.

That's why I recommended those two books. The first is by a guy who has 'been there, done that.' I think your dad will easily relate. The second one is well researched, reasoned and by a physician who believes in holistic care of patients. I think that may win over both him and his doctor. Just my take. HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline BJ

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 03:31:37 AM »
Has anyone here heard of the Hallelujah Diet?  If so, any comments would be appreciated.  How is Beeyoutiful's products complimentary to this particular diet and should using Hallelujah's plan be used along with additional products from Bee and how so? Dad has advanced prostate cancer and friend has just found out husband has colon cancer!
  Thanks so much!
  Also a Chronically ill elder person,"BJ"

Offline sevenfold

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 07:13:55 PM »
Wow,
We have a friend whose mom had a major heart attack, and was told to get her affairs in order. They gave her 6 weeks or less to live. They used the information in the Heart book by Dr. Rath and she has now lived at this point roughly six years and is growing new heart tissue. She is also off nearly all the meds.  You can find his book for free here
http://www4.dr-rath-foundation.org/pdf-files/heart_book.pdf
Good luck. Dr Rath worked side by side with Linus Pauling, the vitamin C guy.

jim
http://www.tea-tree-info.com

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. It is a huge issue and just getting the proper sleep equipment (CPAP-mask that pumps air to keep airways open) can improve overall health. I wake up refreshed. When you get plenty of the proper sleep you feel better, and that makes you want to do other things, say exercise, and eat right. I know someone who lost weight and lowered cholesterol by just oatmeal every morning for breakfast, no exercise. Of course there were some other mild dietary changes. Losing the weight can improve most of the conditions. But is there is a family history, sometimes only meds can help, like that one chlolesterol commercial, the guy looks really fit, but his cholesterol is high. Fish oil is good. Spirulina is good. You can research the benefits online. My husband has been doing meds and fish oil and his cholesterol is the lowest it has been in years with the addition of fish oil.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:51 PM »
Has anyone here heard of the Hallelujah Diet?  If so, any comments would be appreciated.  How is Beeyoutiful's products complimentary to this particular diet and should using Hallelujah's plan be used along with additional products from Bee and how so? Dad has advanced prostate cancer and friend has just found out husband has colon cancer!
  Thanks so much!
  Also a Chronically ill elder person,"BJ"

I did the Hallelujah diet and it cured my cervical cancer. I felt better than I ever did in my whole life. Some people are against that diet for a few reasons.

1. Salt intake (not a big deal...add some sea salt)
2. Vitamin B 12 (you can supplement, use nutritional yeast, or add an egg or glass of raw milk every few days, some people say you can get it from mushrooms)
3. Protein (most people don't realize that spinach and green leafy veggies and alfalfa are loaded with protien- so much that there have been people that had to cut back on the alfalfa sprouts to heal from cancer)

IT WOULD FIX THE CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline merryheart

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 02:31:49 PM »
Another resource similar to Hallelujah Acres is Serene Allison's book and dvd, from Above Rubies.  www.aboverubies.org  She teaches the benefits of eating raw foods.  Very motivational, and a good start for those new to the world of eating raw.