Author Topic: Homemade Biscuits: Recipes, Tips, Variations, and Shortcuts  (Read 29197 times)

Offline FindingMe

• Adept
Re: Homemade Biscuits: Recipes, Tips, Variations, and Shortcuts
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 01:43:40 PM »
I couldn't resist posting my recipe for biscuits!!! These are so good!!  The best I've ever tried.  The recipe is similar to the others posted, except for one ingredient!!  ::)

Cream Biscuits

I just wanted to update and say that I did try making these with half whole wheat flour and half white, as suggested. They were pretty good... not quite THE biscuit I've been looking for, but maybe that was because of the WW flour? Anyway, nobody raved about them, but they were generally well-received, and my hubby did say that they were tender and not chewy, which seemed to be a good thing.  :)

I baked them on a baking stone, which I did not preheat (and almost never do!). I've never had any problems whether I preheat or not.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »
i found a very simple recipe on here for using sour raw milk, but for the life of me i can't find it!  someone just said, i make biscuits with mine and listed it.  very short, can't find it, can anyone help me???  thanks! ::)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:13 AM »
i found a very simple biscuit recipe on here for using sour raw milk, but for the life of me i can't find it!  someone just said, i make biscuits with mine and listed it.  it's very short, can't find it, can anyone help me???  thanks! ::)

anyone?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
Is this it?
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,7253.msg76314.html#msg76314

thanks Gwen, i don't think that was it, it was listed alone, had the persons avatar on it.  a tiny little post.  funny how we remember things isn't it!   ::)

Offline BettaGurl3

• I used to be BettaGurl3
  • Master
  • I LOVE HORSES!
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2009, 01:01:43 PM »
i found a very simple recipe on here for using sour raw milk, but for the life of me i can't find it!  someone just said, i make biscuits with mine and listed it.  very short, can't find it, can anyone help me???  thanks! ::)

4myhoonie,is this what you are looking for??
Biscuits made with kefir or raw milk that has gone sour are a staple around here. A quick tip for cutting them: pat biscuit dough into a round circle about an inch thick right on the baking sheet. Then cut into pie-shaped wedges with a knife and bake. Now you have "scones." Super fast and easy.
HTH!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 05:29:17 PM by BettaGurl3 »

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Okay Ladies, here is mine. I have adapted a Betty Crocker recipe and it makes wonderful biscuits. I tired the Nourishing Traditons recipe but did not prefer it over this one.

2 C. Freshly Ground Flour (Spelt is best)
3/4 C. Keifr

1/4 C. butter or coconut oil
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Grind flour  (1 1/2 C. seems to make 2 C flour using my Vita Mix) and add kefir. Set aside over night or make it right away in the morning to let sit for at least an hour. Knead int he butter or CCO. soda and salt.
Roll out (using white flour to keep from sticking) and cut. Place on baking sheet.
Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.

Now I usually double this recipe for our family of 6, so keep that in mind when cooking. My husband, I think, prefers these over the old white biscuits now. Even goes great for biscuits and gravy. Truly delicious.

Enjoy.
Tennille

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
are they soft and not crumbly?  i have given up on making biscuits for these reasons and now just use homemade buns, made from bread dough.  just wondering........

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 11:40:21 AM »
Real, southern style biscuits should be made with soft flour, and will be soft, flakey and tender...and come apart in layers.  My Great-Grandmother taught me how to make bisciuts.  I'll give you my recipe, but just keep in mind that my Nanny was the turncoat generation that flocked to Crisco, Balogna, Dr. Pepper, and Sweet-N-Low. :)  You can 'healthy' this up anyway you choose. 

Nanny's Biscuits
When I was a toddler, my Nanny would let me sit on her counter and help her make biscuits.  It looked so simple…scooping flour out of the flour drawer, mixing, patting and cutting.  They were heavenly.  I can still remember nibbling on bits of pillowy dough, which was as soft as the back of Nanny’s well endowed arms. 
After years of creating homemade brickettes, I have finally figured out a recipe that is almost as good as Nanny’s.

Ingredients
2 cups ‘soft wheat’ flour, sifted. White Lily is a soft wheat flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 T butter
2/3-3/4 cup milk (buttermilk or Kefir can be substituted here)

Directions
Fluff flour before measuring out 2 cups.  Mix flour with baking powder and salt.
Cut your ½ stick of butter into 8 butter pats.  Toss with flour mixture, and work in with your fingers until the butter pieces are about the size of peas.  Make a well in the center.
Add 2/3 c.milk all at once and mix with wooden spoon or your hands just enough to make a loose, soft dough.  It’s OK if the dough doesn’t hold together yet…only add more milk if it’s just too dry, and won’t come together at all.  Turn out on lightly floured counter or tea towel.

Pat dough out to about 1” thick (it still won’t hold together…hang in there).  Fold half of the dough up over the other half and pat down again to about ¾ of an inch.  Do this 4-6 times until the dough mostly holds together.  This very gentle ‘kneading’ is what gives the biscuits fluffy layers.
Roll or pat dough ¾ to 1 inch thick.
Flour rim of glass or biscuit cutter and cut out biscuits.  If you want a high rise, cut all the edges of each biscuit.  Once you’ve cut all you can, place leftover dough shapes close together, and fold together a couple more times (like you did before).  Then cut out the rest.  Place them onto your un-greased pan.  For a higher rise and soft sides, the biscuits should be touching one another.  If you like crispy sides, leave room between the biscuits.
Bake at 450° for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.

Split and hide a pat of butter in each one. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:57:00 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 12:42:41 PM »
Maybe someone already said this, but, I read that one should never twist the biscuit cutter.  Only lift it.  Twisting breaks the seal on the edge and could inhibit the rising of the dough.

I have always been a "twister."   I guess I need to change my ways! ;)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2009, 09:19:51 AM »
are they soft and not crumbly?  i have given up on making biscuits for these reasons and now just use homemade buns, made from bread dough.  just wondering........

All I can say ithey are really really good and I would say soft. If you make them and they are too crumbly, try adding a bit more kefir to the flour.

I really think you will like them.

Tennille

Offline montanamama

• Learning
Looking for Good GF Biscuits!!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 04:30:23 AM »
Well Ladies here's a challenge....looking for a really good gluten-free biscuit!  Most I have tried have been awful!!! Starchy, dry, crumbly...there's gotta be a good gf recipe out there somewhere!!!  Please help!!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:28 AM »
Here's a couple of gluten-free biscuit recipes:

Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Biscuits
http://www.glutenfreecookingschool.com/archives/light-and-fluffy-gluten-free-biscuits/
(Yield: 16 large biscuits)

1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
2 c. corn starch*
1/2 c. soy flour or sorghum flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 stick of butter* (chilled in the freezer)
1 1/4 c. soy milk*
1 1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar*
1 egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of your favorite egg replacement)

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.

3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.

4. Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.

5. Using a large spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Cook’s Notes:

1. If you’re not vegan or dairy free, feel free to use 1 c. buttermilk in place of the soy milk and vinegar. If you’re allergic to soy, try using your usual milk substitute and keep the vinegar in the recipe.

2. You may substitute potato starch or tapioca flour for the cornstarch.

And here's another:

SERVINGS
8 biscuits
http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/blogs/gluten-free/gluten-free-buttermilk-biscuits
INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 tablespoons butter
1 egg white
3/4 cup buttermilk (give or take a bit)

PREPARATIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Combine all the flours, the baking powder, and the salt. Stir them up well so they are one. Sift them into a large bowl.

2. Cut the butter into small pieces and drop them into the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender (also known as a pastry cutter), or two forks if you don't own the fancier tool, cut the butter into the flours. You should have a good blend, with the butter the size of small peas, by the end.

3. Froth up the egg white with a fork or small whisk. You are not looking to make meringue here. Simply whip some air and volume into the egg white. Pour the egg white and the buttermilk into the dry mixture. Stir them in slowly with a rubber spatula, taking care to not overwork the dough. When the liquids are incorporated into the flours, stop stirring. Bring it all together with your hands.

4. Drop small balls of the biscuit dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. (I prefer these biscuits small, about the size of a plum, to help the middles bake through.) Slide the tray into the oven.

5. Bake the biscuits for about 20 to 25 minutes. Test for your own version of doneness.

"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline montanamama

• Learning
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
Thanks a bunch Jade!!  :)

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2012, 06:04:17 AM »
Ty for these recipes Ya'll. I Have not baked can biscuits for 3 months now.