Author Topic: PostPartum Shedding  (Read 5260 times)

Offline Danswifey

• Learning
PostPartum Shedding
« on: January 17, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »
I've been shedding like crazy for about 3 months and I don't see any end in sight.  And my scalp has white flaky stuff all over.  It used to just be near the base of my head near the neck but it's all over.  Anyone know what's going on?  I shampoo every 5 days and use a shampoo bar.  No hairspray or chemicals.   ???

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: PostPartum Shedding
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 04:00:37 AM »
Sounds like yeast in the scalp. Search (from the home page!) for the yeast threads and the for the hair loss threads. There may also be a few threads on dandruff that will help.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 04:50:35 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline called2Bhelp

• mommy of 2 beautiful children, wife to the most wonderful man I know.
  • Learning
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:35:55 PM »
After my first pregg, I shed for about 6 months, I lost a lot of hair, I kinda looked bald in the front. Then new hair started growing like crazy, and now I have a fuller head of hair than before. I did not have the problem of the white flakes. Maybe you lack vit. E.?

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 06:04:54 PM »
I used to lose alot of hair. I started  SuperMom and my hair grew back thick. I take SuperNutrition prenatal blend now, but my hair is thicker than it used to be.

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »
With my last 3 I have taken oral progesterone, no hair falls out. Also, i didn't have the postpartum emotional drop I had with the others. It's progest-E from Kenogenics,Inc. I have to get it thru my chiro.
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline bethj82

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:28:54 AM »
I was logging on today just to ask this question.  With my first two I shed for a few weeks after birth, but this time the baby is 4 months old and I'm still pulling out handfuls of hair whenever I shampoo or brush.  It's pretty gross as my hair is all over the house

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:15 AM »
Allrighty... I am having this issue now.
I'm post-partum.....

The hair is just now falling out (a lot seems to be coming...but I don't see any change in appearance).
AND I had a seriously AWESOME emotional shift back to normal over the weekend. My brain seems to be working better, I see things clearer and I'm happier.

I'm wondering if I had some sort of post-partum hormonal shift that is gone now (hair falling out and emotions back to normal).

Any ideas?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 04:35:10 AM »
A couple mths after each Baby I loose tons of hair but like you said no change in appearance. Wish I could stop it. If you come up with any ideas let me know!

Emily

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:36:46 AM »
I'm not trying to stop it really..... I just noticed an OBVIOUS hormonal/mood shift when the hair started falling out. I"m wondering if was/is the shedding of some hormone......

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:40:01 AM »
What I was told (and I am not sure how true it is or anything) was that when you are pregnant you do not lose ANY of your hair (unless yanked out). After you have the baby and your body realizes that the baby is gone the hair you would have normally lost comes out. A Dr told me this when I was pregnant with my first child. CJ

Offline rainydayz

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:10:50 AM »
I have had this at about three months postpartum with each child, and I also think it is hormone related.  It seems to stop around 5 months..  and normalize.  I am curious if taking a better balance of fatty acids or something would help even out the hormone changes and make this less dramatic...   :P

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 04:58:37 PM »
I always lose hair after having a baby too.      I have noticed this time though, just because I was curious , that when my baby was losing her hair I was too.   Now my hair is growing and getting thicker and baby's hair is coming in nice too.    Anyone else notice this?   
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »
My mom had a friend who was nursing her twins and had serious hair loss. My mom read somewhere that it was a lack of enough protein in the nursing mom's diet. Her friend added more protien back to her diet and noticed a huge difference. This made sense to me. I had this problem last time, but was eating a lot of salads and not cooking much because dh was working from home a lot. When I added more protein into my diet on purpose I noticed a difference in my hair loss.

Recently had my second baby and am purposely eating eggs in the morning and other protiens throughout the day. Haven't had the problem I did last time so far.

Hope this helps,
~Blue Rose

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 02:57:02 AM »
I have this happen after the birth of all of my children.  When you are pg, your head doesn't shed hair like it normally would and hangs on to all the hair.  Then, a couple of months or so after birth, everything you would have lost during pg falls out.  It is not because you are lacking some vitamin or anything, just a normal process.  It will last for a month or two.