Author Topic: Link between ultrasounds and Autism?  (Read 6939 times)

JoyInHim

Link between ultrasounds and Autism?
« on: January 17, 2007, 10:05:32 AM »
Has anyone heard of this?

earthymomof2

Re: Link between ultrasounds and Autism?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »
read a pretty compelling article on this a few days ago.  Here's the link:

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundrodgers.asp

Sarah

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
That was a pretty good article although I have to disagree with some of it.  After reading the article it didn't seem as likely to me that ultrasounds would contribute to autism - their reasoning for that didn't have much basis but the evidence of ultrasounds not being completely safe was quite strong.  I think maybe ultrasounds might be a little bit like drinking a small amount of alcohol during pregnancy - doctors say that no amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy because it MAY have an effect on the baby.  And yet throughout history and currently there are people who drink during their pregnancies with no side-effects to the baby.  And there are people who have only a small amount and it has an effect.
There are thousands of women who have mulitple ultrasounds and there are no side-effects for the child but I can't believe that the combination of sound, vibration and heat can never be harmful - I'm sure it is for some babies.

As for the quote in the article about what do all those countries have in common -

What do countries and regions with climates, diets and exposure to known toxins as disparate as the US, Japan, Scandinavia, Australia, India and the UK have in common? No common factor in the water, air, local pesticides, diet or even building materials and clothing can explain the emergence and relentless increase in this serious, life-long neurodevelopmental disorder.

There are plenty of things that these countries have more in common than ultrasounds.  Plastics, medicines, McDs, computers, Coke, etc etc ...
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

JoyInHim

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
Good points Erin.  I did see one Autism site that called the article bogus..

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 09:26:12 AM »
I personally won't have an ultrasound anymore because for 50 years they told women it was okay to get x-rays...how do I know this isn't the same type of thing? You know "It is ok to get an ultrasound" and then in 20 years "It was hurting babies"

I won't take the chance. There is no point for me anyhow. What if they did find something wrong???? I am not going to abort it or do anything different BESIDES worry and fret till the baby is born!
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 10:57:18 AM »
Of all the things that COULD cause autism (and there is much research available on that), THIS just isn't one of them IMO. I'll reserve my comments about people who try to make mothers of at risk children feel like it's all their fault that the child is suffering.  :-X

Makes me wonder which industry is trying to get out from under the guilt they DO deserve. (shaking head, muttering to self) >:(
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

freshisbest

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 11:20:30 AM »
One comment about ultrasounds....don't know about dangerous, but if one ultrasound alerted you to a potential situation that you could then pray about and seek Gods counsel about....so when the child was born he was received with a loving, completely accepting attitude instead of fear, shock and trepidation, then thats a good thing. I remember being torn about the safety issue, but seeing that little face...and after too many miscarriages I sat in an office waiting for them to tell me the bad news...but saw a little one actually swimming in circles!! Encouraging to say the least!! Used properly and wisely they were a good thing for me.

Offline flyncat

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 08:20:24 PM »
a few years ago I read an interesting article linking epidurals and autism (possibly)... I don't have the link though, I'm sorry, but it was very thought provoking to say the least...
Sarah Mama to Will 8/05 and little brother or sister 3/07

Offline joyinautism

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 11:20:19 AM »
My experience is anecdotal but I think it reflects that the article is false in is assumptions. I have 6 children three of them Autistic. My youngest is ASD the other 2 lean at the present toward the Asperger's Syndrome. With those pregnacies I had 1 or two ultrasounds each. With the other three I had two to eight per pregnancy. Those children are not autistic but had intestinal or esophageal problems that needed to be diagnosed before birth for appropiate treatment. So all had ultrasounds to rule out difficulties similar to our first child. Again my experience is anecdotal but I do not see the link.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:08:34 AM »
This probably belongs in 7Xsunday, but...

My son was born with congenital muscular torticollis, the causes of which are speculative.  They range from birth trauma to being stuck in utero to many others. 

No one in my family has any type of anomalies.  Ultrasounds had not predicted anything abnormal.  At birth we were sent home with what seemed to be a perfectly normal and healthy baby.  So when I first found out 4 weeks later I was so upset because (being human) I wanted to DO something about it and I couldn't. 

But the pediatrician said for me to go home and come back in a few months and we'd take another look.  I went home and became an overnight expert thanks to the many wonderful articles on the internet, mostly from Hong Kong.  And we treated the issues my son faced (which on the spectrum were classified as severe) with prayer and aggressive physical therapy.  No pain medication, no muscle relaxers, no surgery. 

And Gd showed us just how small our faith was and just how BIG He is.  I believe that torticollis, like Autism, is multifaceted. 

I have no doubt that some babies are stuck in utero (I believe my son was because of my small stature and how large he was and the fact that he didn't move much in the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy). 

I also believe some doctors are aggressive in delivery and some babies have birth trauma issues that develop into contorted necks. 

Other babies I believe have more genetic tendencies toward cerebral palsy and spasmodic torticollis.

Autism, too, is IMO so multifaceted we cannot say it is ultrasounds, or vaccines, or diet because I have given my children vaccines we had 2-3 ultrasounds and I have a decent diet and my kids are healthy as a horse.

I truly believe some people are more sensitive to certain triggers, be they environmental toxins such as fertilizers, cleaners, or other pollutants.  I also believe some people are genetically predisposed to be sensitive to metals, certain foods, fabrics, pets, and so on. 

All of this to say, the bigger picture IMO is that we seem to be approaching so many health issues backward.  We are not using the scientific method I learned in school (the scientific method is completely Gd-given and designed to be used in conjunction with herbs to diagnose and treat most of our ailments).  We choose a problem-causing agent (an ultrasound, trans fats, vaccines) and then try to find data that supports our theory rather than looking at the Autism and trying to find a common link.  Looking at the Lupus and trying to see similarities. 

Autism is a mysterious scape goat of a disease.  And for parents who are searching for answers it is heart-wrenching to just not know something.  I have felt that way with my own son, having people come to me and say that if I will just change my diet, if I hadn't delivered at a hospital, if I hadn't whatever.  I know those scenarios.  I've thought of them all and they haunt me. 

Now I, and the parents of children with disabilities, have to struggle with getting pregnant again.  Do I "get fixed"?  Do I get the ultrasounds this time, what if I don't and they could have found something fixable?  Do I get the vaccines this time, what if I don't and they die of something that there is a simple vaccine for?  We begin to guess and second guess and feel that somehow we are sovereign.

What I need is for someone to hug me and earnestly tell me that they have no idea what I am going through and for them to pray for me.  I hope I haven't offended anyone.  I just think that when we form conclusions we should practice prayerful discernment in dispensing those convictions with others.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline MillitaryMomof4

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 10:08:08 AM »
I don't know if there is really any conclusive evidence out there that ultrasounds are linked to Autism.  Just like ShabbyChic said, so many of those illnesses are multifaceted and probably are not triggered by one thing.  We were stationed in Germany for my first two children and I delived within the German health system.  I had an ultrasound at every appointment, 8-9.  It is considered routine care.  I don't know if there are higher autism rates there vs here in the states with our 1-2 ultrasounds.   I haven't heard that there was.

Just some more opinions to mull over...

Kristel

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
Dredging up an old topic...thinking about ultrasounds now that they have the 12-14 week u/s to see if there are any abnormalities. That would mean a total of 3 ultrasound now barring any emergencies. I opted out of the 12 week on with my last one (first time I was told about it). I did do the others with my other 2 but am hesitant about it now for this one. I think I would be content with just hearing a heartbeat and only doing an ultrasound if the need/concern arises. My only thought is what IF there is something that could be caught in the ultrasound that would need to be taken care of inutero or would need experts at the time of birth in order to help the baby?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »
Kitty, I think you might want to consider the vitamin D theory of autism (www.vitaminDcouncil.org).  Vitamin D offers many protective benefits to baby and mother; high vit D may be the best determinant of infant and maternal health, more than any other single factor.  Low vitamin D levels create all kinds of risk for mother and baby, and raising vit D levels is highly protective.

Personally, I would avoid US completely or use very sparingly.  Generally speaking, technology is accepted because of the perceived benefits, but it can take years before risks are acknowledged.  Have you talked to an experienced midwife about US?