Author Topic: Thai Cooking  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Julia

• Master
Thai Cooking
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:45:28 AM »
Does anyone have good recipes for Thai food? We went out for it on my husband's birthday and it was SO DELICIOUS!! I didn't even want anything sweet afterwards for fear of losing the memory of that delicious meal. I actually have one sort-of recipe that I'll post but I'd like to know more.

My sort-of recipe: an Austrailian woman that I used to know told me she did this for quick dinners. I figure it's like Americans making tacos or burritos for quick dinners. She would stir-fry bite size pieces of meat, then add a can of coconut milk, some green beans, and some green curry paste which you find in a little jar at the grocery store. How much green curry paste is up to you - it is HOT- I usually leave it out completely for my husband and kids and then put a teaspoon or so in my own food. Then you serve it over rice. I also like to add a little brown sugar (maybe a little molasses would be healthier ???) and chicken broth to the sauce. If you like exotic flavor and a lot of spice, it is YUMMY!

All of the coconut milk I have found has a preservative in it, even the stuff at the health food store. If you know of any brands that don't, let me know! Maybe someone on here has access to coconut trees and can ship them to us..... 8)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Thai Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
I have a WONDERFUL recipe for Chicken Curry (I believe you can use other meats in this basic recipe, we have used turkey with GREAT success.)

Here is the recipe we use (actually made this two nights ago...yummy!)

Simple Chicken Curry (mild)
3 TB Coconut Oil
3 TB Curry Powder
1 med onion chopped
3 apples, chopped (I use whatever type I have on
hand)
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp liquid hot sauce (optional)
1 15 oz can coconut milk
cooked rice to serve with
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
4 chicken breasts (cooked, cut into strips)

Heat oil in a large fry pan or 5 qt dutch oven. 

Add Curry, onion, apples, and garlic.  Stir in ginger, salt, hot pepper, broth, and coconut milk when onions are limp.

Cover and simmer 30 min till apples are tender. 

Thicken with cornstarch if needed.

Add cooked chicken; cover and simmer until heated through.

Serve over rice if desired and pass the toppings...sliced onions, coconut or sliced bananas.

ENJOY!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:08:27 AM »
I went to Central Market yesterday (my big visit to the city) and they gave out a sample of Lemon Grass Chicken. It was soooo good. Here is the recipe:

2 whole lemon grass marinated chicken breasts
1/4 c. lemon grass stalks, sliced
1/3 c. half and half
1/3 c. chicken broth
2 Tbs. olive oil
salt an pepper to taste

Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast evenly with salt and  pepper. Coat a large nonstick skillet with oil and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add the breasts to the skillet, and cook 3 to 4 mins. on each side or until browned. Remove the breasts, and keep warm. Add broth to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add lemon grass and half-and-half to skillet. Reduce heat, and simmer for 7 mins. or until the sauce is thickened slightly, remove lemon grass, season and serve over chicken.

Does anyone know how to marinate the chicken breasts with lemon grass? The catch was that they wanted you to buy the marinated chicken breast. It did have such a good clean fresh taste. Has anyone cooked with lemon grass at all? It was a new spice to me.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:17:30 AM »
I'm not sure if I have a recipe or not but my favorite Thai Dish is called Pad Thai.  It's a Peanut chicken dish with flat noddles. 

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 10:18:42 AM »
bump

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 10:50:20 AM »
I've wondered how to cook lemongrass. It was easy to grow in my front yard a couple of years ago but it was so tough and stringy I couldn't really put it in food. It looks like your recipe just gets the flavor out and then gets rid of the grass.

I have a great marinating recipe - you just use 1/2 cup oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice or soy sauce, and whatever herbs you please. This is my grandma's recipe and she is a very good cook! So, maybe for the lemon grass marinade you could use lemon juice instead of soy sauce (so it doesn't taste Chinese instead of Thai) or even rice vinegar for an Asian flavor. Then use some sesame oil with the oil for more Asian flavor and then throw in a bunch of lemon grass and marinate. Let me know what you figure out. I think I will plant some more this year so I can try it!

Those recipes look great! How do you think they make the sauce peanutty? I wonder if a little peanut butter thrown in would work..... I'm making my simple recipe for a guest tonight so maybe I'll experiment a little with peanut flavor.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »
Basic Peanut sauces  usually include:
Pnut butter
Soy sauce
Chili Sauce
Oil of some sort
Lime Juice
Vinegar
Salt
There are lots of variations but that is a good base to start with.

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »
I have a WONDERFUL recipe for Chicken Curry (I believe you can use other meats in this basic recipe, we have used turkey with GREAT success.)

3 TB Coconut Oil
3 TB Curry Powder
1 med onion chopped
hand)
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1 15 oz can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Add Curry, onion, apples, and garlic.  Stir in ginger, salt, hot pepper, broth, and coconut milk when onions are limp.

Serve over rice if desired and pass the toppings...sliced onions, coconut or sliced bananas.

ENJOY!

I made this for supper tonight.  It was very yummy!  Thanks for the recipe.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:19:43 PM »
I'm not really an expert at Thai cooking, but I did spend some time over there on a missions trip and lived with a thai girl who was an EXCELLENT cook!  ohh it was soooo yummy.  Anyway some things she told me that differentiate american thai (which is actually mostly laotian cooking) and real thai.  EVERYTHING has fish sauce in it, they use coconut milk NOT cow or goat milk, lots of lemon grass and dried thai peppers that are filtered out before serving the dish. 

-Heather

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:26:25 AM »
I'm not really an expert at Thai cooking, but I did spend some time over there on a missions trip and lived with a thai girl who was an EXCELLENT cook!  ohh it was soooo yummy.  Anyway some things she told me that differentiate american thai (which is actually mostly laotian cooking) and real thai.  EVERYTHING has fish sauce in it, they use coconut milk NOT cow or goat milk, lots of lemon grass and dried thai peppers that are filtered out before serving the dish. 

-Heather

The church that I grew up in was also a mission work for the Laotians in WA.  They made the BEST spring rolls.  Boy would I LOVE that recipe!
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 06:57:31 AM »

3 TB Coconut Oil
3 TB Curry Powder
1 med onion chopped
hand)
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp salt
1 15 oz can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

ENJOY!

I made this for supper tonight.  It was very yummy!  Thanks for the recipe.

I am so glad you liked it....it is one of our favorites!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
My family loves Thai food but I'm just now venturing out cooking it myself.  I tried this really yummy Thai fried rice recipe and wanted to share.  This is a little video with a lovely Thai woman cooking the recipe. I used fried (crispy) hamburger instead of chicken.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Thai-Foodcast-Thai-Fried-Rice-93319845

I'm going to try this Coconut Chicken soup tonight and it's hubby favorite so I'm hoping it turns out great.  I'm serving over basmati brown rice and just using lemon grass and ginger instead of the packet of spices.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-make-Coconut-Chicken-Soup---Thai-Foodcast-86103082

Got any other recipes for us to try?!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:30:29 AM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai! It's my favorite type of food!

I make different curries all the time yum yum!

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 03:35:08 AM »
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai! It's my favorite type of food!

I make different curries all the time yum yum!

Sounds yummy!  We're not huge yellow curry fans, but we really like red and green curry.  Hubby likes a soup my gf first made us after a baby and he begged me to get her recipe.  It's basically broth, coconut milk, and canned salmon with curry paste, ginger and other spices and veggies.  Honestly, it is one of our all time favorites.  So, so amazing.

Offline denisew

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 10:51:30 AM »
Ooooo...... I would love this recipe!  I need some new ideas for canned salmon!  Please share!!  My husband is also not a big fan of yellow curry.  I didn't know there were different types!  I love curry.

Denise in AL

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
Ooooo...... I would love this recipe!  I need some new ideas for canned salmon!  Please share!!  My husband is also not a big fan of yellow curry.  I didn't know there were different types!  I love curry.

Denise in AL

Hi Denise!  I will look for my friends recipe for you.  She (and I) are not real measurers(?) so it's pretty much just a list of ingredients.  She put it on beautiful stationary and wrote it out beautifully too and I've been wanting to frame it and put it in my kitchen so I'll be glad to find it and finally do that!  I have seen red and green curry paste in little 4 oz jars or so from Thai Kitchen.  I bought the red but later discovered my friend prefers the green (and used it in her dish she made us) so would like to try it when we run out.  It has lasted us a long, long time and a little goes a long way.  The ingredients are: red chili, lemongrass, galangal (thai ginger), salt, onion, kaffir lime, corriander, and pepper.  Dh uses it on eggs and lots of other dishes where one might use tabasco sauce for example.  It is a paste though, he mixes it with a bit of water to thin it out.

I made the chicken coconut soup and it was delicious.  I used what I had and what I could find.  I had cilantro (fresh), lime, fish sauce (use instead of salt), and the red curry paste (for a little more kick for the adults) on the table as condiments.

Btw, for you northwesterners, Bimart has a really great stainless steel wok (hard to find) and its very well priced.  It's also the place where I find the best price for canned salmon (wild caught) and it's even better priced than Azure food co-op.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:54:20 PM by mommyjen »

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:36 PM »
My favorite curry is made with the red paste and has potatoes in it. I use green curry the most. Curries are really easy to make, I don't even follow a recipe anymore.

warm up a couple tbs of your favorite cooking oil, I use expeller pressed coconut. Add to that a couple Tb of your favorite curry paste, stir together and cook until curry becomes aromatic. Add in cream from 1 can of coconut milk, when boiling add in your meat and cook until done. When your meat is done cooking, add in the rest of the can of coconut milk, add in a couple tb fish sauce, a tsp of sugar (or more if the curry is too spicy for you) lemon juice, fresh or dried basil, and any veggies you want. Finish cooking and serve over warm rice.

Veggies we like in curries:
peas
corn
taters
bamboo shoots
mushrooms

I like the idea of salmon, I haven't ever tried that before. I will have to now!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 06:48:59 AM »
we were given a meal of coconut chicken after baby came, it was really good:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Cheesecake-Factory-Bang-Bang-Chicken-and-Shrimp-206347

she left out the shrimp
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."