Author Topic: Homemade Ketchup  (Read 14095 times)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Homemade Ketchup
« on: January 13, 2007, 11:31:09 AM »
 We used to use lots of ketchup, a whole big bottle of Heinz in a month ::), but we have hardly used any in the last two years and I miss it :'( I really only liked Heinz brand anyway, so I guess I am very picky. I've been trying out recipes and haven't found any that were keepers. I have a batch simmering now that seems decent (can't taste it during this cleanse/fast I am on  :(). The recipes I've tried turn out either too spicy, lumpy, or watery  :P :-X
I have tried the one in Nourishing Traditions and it was ok for using as a base in recipes like barbeque sauce, but not good enough to use for dipping.
At this point I would even take a recipe with lots of sweetner as long as it is not cornsyrup.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Re: Homemade Ketchup
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 12:05:58 PM »
Not homemade, but we really like "Tree of Life" ketchup. It has good ingredients. You can get it at a HFS, not cheap, but if you don't use it often, it might be worth the investment. I've never found a recipe for homemade that I've liked. Hope that helps.
Jessica

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »
My family is really picky on ketchup. We have been using Annies. They are pretty well know and you can find it any health food store. It is really good and I think it tastes like Heinz. I pay about $2.50 a bottle.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »
Here's the recipe I was trying this afternoon. Dh says more garlic flavor or something than Heinz, but good. In a week or so I'll do a taste test myself. In the meantime do any of y'all want to try it out since I can't have you all over in my kitchen?  ;) :D

12 oz. can tomato paste
1 sm-med onion and 2 sm. cloves garlic chopped and simmered until soft
       (I didn't have any juice left on the onions by the time the were soft)
        ? use less garlic ?
1 cup evap. sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/16 tsp. paprika
1/16 tsp. red pepper
1/16 tsp. dried lemon zest
1/8 tsp bl. pepper
I brought this to a simmer and left for several minutes and then put in to the blender and added:
1 tbsp. whey
Blended for several minutes until completely smooth and added:
1 cup water
Blended again for several minutes.
...pretty pleased w/ the texture and consistency. We'll see how it ages. I have a feeling it is going to thicken slightly and need more water which would probably help out the stronger-than-Heinz flavor also...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 05:03:31 AM »

Ketchup

4 pounds well ripened medium or large tomatoes
2 medium onions
2 medium bell peppers
2 jalapeno peppers (hot) 
How much ketchup does this yield?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:38:04 PM »
Well, now that I have tasted that recipe I can tell it needs changing >:( too much vinegar...
So I am going to try again with 1/2 the vinegar, a bit less sugar and maybe less garlic. Sure doesn't need more water either...

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 01:43:21 PM »
Here is a delicious and easy ketchup recipe and has the benefit of being fermented!
(from Nourishing Traditions)

3C canned tomato paste
1/4 C whey
1 T sea salt
1/2 C maple syrup
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 cloves garlic (finely crushed)
1/2 C fish sauce

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Place in a quart-sized, wide mouth mason jar. The top of the ketchup should be at least 1 in. below the top of the jar. Leave at room temperature for about 2 days before transferring to refrigerator.

*I always add some water because it is very thick.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »
Do you like :o the NT recipe, lotsaboys? I guess I am picky about ketchup :'( ;D

Nickole

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
Do you like :o the NT recipe, lotsaboys? I guess I am picky about ketchup :'( ;D

I know you didn't ask MOI  ;D but I love the NT recipe.  That's the only ketchup we eat  :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:49:52 PM »
Good for you!!! ;)  8) My loss ::)

Offline andante

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
    Ketchup Recipe

4 qts. tomato juice
    1/4 c. salt (I did NOT use that much)
    3 c. white sugar (I did not use that much)
    1 c. brown sugar
    2 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. cloves
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 c. vinegar
    2 tsp. black pepper
    1 large onion (blended)

Boil for 30 minutes.  Mix 3/4 c. to 1 c. corn starch with water.  Mix
well and add to tomato mixture.  Stir like crazy or you will have noodles!!!
 Pour into jars and put in water bath canner.  Process for 10 minutes.

It isn't just like Heinz but it is my favourite recipe and I like to use it in place of the regular ketchup. Some of my family isn't crazy about it so we get Heinz too.  ::)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »
:P :P :P
We tried it and the fish sauce was *blech*. But, I do use it as a basic jumping off point for our ketchup.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »
We love it since I finally got some fish sauce we can handle!! ;)
The first stuff we bought was AWFUL! I couldn't stand to get my nose within a foot of it, but I finally found some that is much more mild. :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 04:58:09 AM »
Hmmm... my fish sauce IS very strong. I use only a fraction of the amount called for in recipes that are good w/ that flavor...so what brand of fish sauce do you buy?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 04:58:55 AM »
The first stuff we bought was AWFUL! I couldn't stand to get my nose within a foot of it, but I finally found some that is much more mild. :)
Now you can make kimchee ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 05:00:10 AM »
1/2 cup seems like a lot if it's the same stuff I buy - liquid, brown, looks like soy sauce and tastes and smells awful.  For a gallon of Kimchee, I only use about 1 T.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 06:56:51 AM »
Hmmm... my fish sauce IS very strong. I use only a fraction of the amount called for in recipes that are good w/ that flavor...so what brand of fish sauce do you buy?

"Thai Kitchen" is the brand of the mild tasting sauce.
"Tiparos" was the horrible stuff. :P

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 07:01:54 AM »
1/2 cup seems like a lot if it's the same stuff I buy - liquid, brown, looks like soy sauce and tastes and smells awful.  For a gallon of Kimchee, I only use about 1 T.

You know, I tried using less, but one slight sniff and I could not eat it!  And I wasn't even pregnant! ;D When I first got it, I took it to dh for a sniff and I accidentally bumped the rim of the bottle on his top lip. :o I had to run for my life- he was chasing me all over the house trying to kiss me with his awful smelling lips. Poor guy, I deserved his revenge. ;D

BTW, what would we use kimchee for?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 07:03:42 AM by lotsaboys »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »
You eat it silly.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
You eat it silly.  ;D

O-o-o-h-h-h!! ;) That helps. Now, HOW do you eat it?  ???

Seriously, Korean foods are not our normal thing, so in what ways, or on what foods would we put kimchee? Its a dish made of veggies and hot chilis, right?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 05:35:16 AM »
You eat it silly.  ;D

O-o-o-h-h-h!! ;) That helps. Now, HOW do you eat it?  ???

Seriously, Korean foods are not our normal thing, so in what ways, or on what foods would we put kimchee? Its a dish made of veggies and hot chilis, right?
With a fork?

LOL.  It's a condiment, used with rice dishes.  You pick up a little bit of kimchee and mix it with a bite of whatever else is on your plate; however, if you're anything like my neighbor, you just come over and get a jar and fork and go to town.  HAHAHAHAHA! 

It's really weird, I went 24 years of my life without knowing what Kimchee was.  I had eaten many different ethnic dishes.  I lived in the big city and was exposed to alot of different cultures.  Then I moved to the boon docks and married a Korean.  I figured that his mother's cooking would be frowned upon by my guests.  I moved into this town and all 3 of my neighbors (all white) found out I know how to make kimchee and they beg for it.  HAHAHAHA.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »
I got this recipe out of "Breaking the Viscious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, but have modified it make it thicker.

2 cups tomato juice
1-3 Tbsp white vinegar (I use 2)
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Bay Leaf
garlic salt to taste (could also use garlic powder)
1 6 oz can organic tomato paste

Mix all ingredients except tomato paste.  Simmer for approximately 3 hours.  Remove bay leaf.  Stir in tomato paste.   (Can add honey if you want it sweetened, but you may want to cook a little longer to thicken the sauce more since the honey will thin the sauce).  Ladle into sterilized jars and seal or place in small containers and freeze.   I actually freeze some, but ladle into an old squeezable ketchup bottle.   Also, I usually add salt, pepper or garlic to get the taste my family prefers.   

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »
I have a lot of tomatoes and my NP Dr. wants me to make my ketchup to avoid Splenda. He says all the ketchup he has tested has splenda in it. So, which recipe is the most like store bought ketchup. We use one from the health food store or Heinz. Kids like Heinz the best. I really hate to do a lot of testing with my precious tomatoes.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »
. He says all the ketchup he has tested has splenda in it.

is this true, anyone have evidence to back this up. 

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 06:29:24 PM »
My Dr. just said that the many ones they tested in his office had splenda in it. They use fruits or sugar to sweeten the ketchup, but in order to add the last sweetness they add splenda. I can testify that I feel so much better when I don't eat anything with splenda in it. Splenda  is so hard to find in foods. Manufactures do not have tell if they put in splenda because it is such a sm. amt. of the formula. I'm sorry to sidetract people on splenda. I'm just super sensitive to it.

Back to my original questions. Does anyone know which ketchup recipe taste like store bought versions?

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
We have been using Heinz organic ketchup for the last 6 months to year.  We really like it.  It does not have corn syrup in it and is $1.64 for 15oz.  Our Walmart carries it, as do a few other grocery stores. 
These are the ing. listed on back: organic tomato concentrate made from red ripe organic tomatoes, organic distilled vinegar, organic sugar, salt, organic onion powder, organic spice, natural flavoring.
We LOVE it and can barely stand the taste of other ketchups now.  :)
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2007, 03:30:56 AM »
I have a lot of tomatoes and my NP Dr. wants me to make my ketchup to avoid Splenda. He says all the ketchup he has tested has splenda in it.

How does your doctor test the ketchup to check for splenda?  Just curious.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2007, 04:45:41 AM »
I have a lot of tomatoes and my NP Dr. wants me to make my ketchup to avoid Splenda. He says all the ketchup he has tested has splenda in it.

How does your doctor test the ketchup to check for splenda?  Just curious.

This topic has been brought up more than once, so I started a thread.  Please hop over there to continue this conversation so we can stay on topic.  Thanks.

Sucralose [Splenda]
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 06:13:50 AM »
I know this is an old thread, but we make the NT ketchup all the time.  Everyone (even guests) love it.  My friend says that it tastes like Whataburger ketchup to him...lol.  It is very thick and we just use a spoon to  put it on the fries, etc. 

Bonus:  It's super easy to make.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 06:13:18 AM »

I know you didn't ask MOI  ;D but I love the NT recipe.  That's the only ketchup we eat  :)

Nickole, I recently made the NT ketchup and haven't tried it yet BUT there is some white stuff growing on top of the ketchup  ??? it has been out in my cold room pantry what would you do?  Scrap it off, eat it??  I really want to like the NT ketchup.  Thanks
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage