Author Topic: zyrtec for allergies???  (Read 10866 times)

Offline mrsnoah

• Adept
zyrtec for allergies???
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:51 PM »
HI! Does anyone know anything about zyrtec cough syrup? I thought zyrtec was a depression med? Our pediatric Dr just put our daughter on it for (winter allergies) his term. not mine. She has had loads of ear infections and i have read the threads on that but she went from double ear infection with puss in both ears and  deafness (of course she was full of puss) ANYWAY- to now just deafness with clear drainage and white mucus in her sinus/ nostril area. She breathes through her mouth and can't blow out of her nose at 4 years old. It is just too plugged. The lack of hearing is very frustrating, especially in public because I have to call her name 3 times , each one a little louder, to get her attention and it  looks like she is being disobedient, but she is not. Also I have to repeat everything i say at home 2-3 times and I'm tired of hearing myself talk. Has anyone tried mucinex or something decongestant for something like this? I was giving her robitussin decongestant. until they gave us zyrtec , but i"m pretty sure I don't want her on zyrtec. The other decongestant, wasn't working yet anyway. It had been about 3 days. I think it may be affecting her speech already (it has been at least 5 weeks) but it could just be me being paranoid. I would appreciate any suggestions for unplugging her. DR said it wasn't food allergy because she didn't show any other signs like rosy cheeks and stuff. HELP!
~m

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: zyrtec for allergies???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:10:57 PM »

I am very familiar with zyrtec.  It does work but I have some thoughts for you first.  My son has severe mold allergies.  Living in a wet climate is horrible for him so we struggle with this a lot during the winter.  I finally asked my naturapath if there was anything natural I could give him and she said that Allergiplex is a great homeopathic allergy treatment and works very well.  It's made by Unda.  It is only taken once a week during allergy season but can be taken daily if symptoms are really strong.  My son is currently taking Claritin daily because it's the only thing that works for him and it is about $20 for 10 tablets.  The allergiplex is $20 for 10 tabs but is only taken once a week.  I'm picking it up on Tuesday.  You can probably do a web search and find it.  If I HAD to pick between zyrtec and claritin, go for the claritin.  It's a 24hr tab and costs way stinking less then zyrtec. 

About your daughter's ears/stuffiness/hearing.... have you had her checked by an ENT to see if she needs tubes?  If a child is having hearing loss as a result of fluid in the ears they really need to get that drained and sometimes the shape of the tubes just doesn't allow the ears to drain.  That is what happened to my son.  He had one massive ear infection for the first 9 months of his life because he does not drain out his nose.  I mean NEVER.  Not even when he has a cold.  It all goes down his throat and into his ears.  Now his ears aren't a problem but as a baby it was awful.  He had tubes put in at 9 months and never had another ear infection.  I have a friend that waited until her daughter was just over 5 before the doctor agreed to tubes and now her daughter has permanent hearing loss because they waited so long.  It's  not desireable to have to do things like that, but if I have to choose between hearing loss or my child being under for 10 minutes to get tubes, I go for the tubes.   I couldn't tell from your post if this has been a long term issue. It's something to consider.

HTH

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »
Patti,
How did the Allergiplex work for your son?  Let's see ... it has been a year since you mentioned it.  Are you still recommending it?

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:27:18 AM »
Hi, I just wanted to clarify that Zyrtec is for allerfies and Zolof is for depression. I know you had stated that you thought it was for depression, but similar names get confusing.   ;)

I used Zyrtek for my allergies and it helped me SOME. It was my last restort before shots and I cannot bring myself to do shots. I have year around allergies (winter is included in this) and am allergic to almost everything in MN! I am even allergic to Poplar trees, and guess what almost our entire 5 acres is made up of? You betcha! Poplar Trees! (Poplar trees are realted to the regweed family.)

I keep one or 2 tablets of Zyrtek on hand just in case I have a BAD allergic reaction. Some nights I wake up itching inside SO bad....they say it is hives but on the inside. My chest feels tight (I do not have asthma, but it feels kida like waht is described) and I wheeze. If my reg things don't work I will take a Zyrtek. Now that it is over the counter, maybe I can afford to get a whole bottle to last me years.

Now I take drops of the things I am allergic to. They are made by a company called Dynamic Nutritional A (can't remember what the A stands for! Associates maybe?) or DNA. For the last 2 summers I have used them and not the Zyrtek (Zyrtec only 3 times in the last 2 years) and they have worked really well. The only time they did not wark was when I went to CA for 10 days in May. I am allergic to stuff there but don;t know what, so my drops did not help at all. I was wishing I had my Zyrtec when I was there.

My personal opinion, on what I would do if it was my daughter, would be to give her the Zyrtec until the drainage happened and she was all dried up and then try to find some natural thing to help her. Sinus infections are not fun, and with winter colds and such, winter allergies can compound sinus issues. But this is just what I would do, and I am not quite broken in as a WellTeller.  ;D CJ
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:16:58 AM by Siege »

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
Our allergist has recommended using children's Zyrtec for my one year old ds. I'm curious to get some feedback on other more natural options. Anyone?!

The allergist recommended it not for seasonal allergies but for something called dermagraphia.

This is something that causes my child's skin to have welts/hives whenever something touches him. It's not that he's actually allergic to whatever touches him. It's the actual scratch that causes a reaction. This condition is typically treated by antihistamines.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »
Our allergist has recommended using children's Zyrtec for my one year old ds. I'm curious to get some feedback on other more natural options. Anyone?!

The allergist recommended it not for seasonal allergies but for something called dermagraphia.

This is something that causes my child's skin to have welts/hives whenever something touches him. It's not that he's actually allergic to whatever touches him. It's the actual scratch that causes a reaction. This condition is typically treated by antihistamines.
I can't really offer anything in the way of natural healing but if you come up with something I'd be interested to know.  I have dermographism and have been suffering it's effects for about 1 year.  Do you have any idea how your child got this condition?  Has he always had it?  I currently take zyrtec and have no obvious complaints but it's a drug none-the-less and I'm sure it's taking it's toll whether I see the effects or not.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »
I've read about osha root being a natural antihistamine, but I've not tried it.  It may be worth looking into.  MSM is also supposed to inhibit allergy response, and would be okay for a toddler in proper amounts.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »

I can't really offer anything in the way of natural healing but if you come up with something I'd be interested to know.  I have dermographism and have been suffering it's effects for about 1 year.  Do you have any idea how your child got this condition?  Has he always had it?  I currently take zyrtec and have no obvious complaints but it's a drug none-the-less and I'm sure it's taking it's toll whether I see the effects or not.

The allergist told me the condition is extremely hereditary. He asked me if I randomly broke out in hives. I said "no". I was in the office w/ my dd also and he asked if he could test both of us for it too. He tested us and we both came back positive!! So, his explanation is that sometimes the condition is dormant and sometimes it's active. It can be dormant for 30 years and then flare up. For some unknown reason our ds is active while mine is dormant. By the way out of curiosity I plan on testing my hubby tonight too :)

HB, do you feel like the Zyrtec really helps?? Do you take it all the time or as needed? What other physical symptoms to you have besides hives, if any?

I'm just trying to figure out how this is effecting my son. It's hard as he can't communicate.

I'm going to read more about the effects of lots of vitamin C. I'm wondering if this would help him.
Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »
I have to take it daily or I break out just from the irritation of my clothing or an occaissional itch.  My allergist told me I was the worst case he'd seen in 45 years of medicine, but he doesn't think it was inherited.  He instead thinks I damaged my histamine receptors in my skin due to perscription narcotic use for a disc problem in my neck.  He had no prognosis as to whether it would ever correct itself or not and I've attempted to wean from the meds, but still find that I need them daily.

I do find that my sleep cycles are affected by the Zyrtec but I'm not sure of anything else.  I have some other female issues going on, but I don't really know if they are related or not.  I'm sure they take their toll on my liver, but so far I've found nothing else that I'm able to do for the symptoms and when I break out, I'm fairly dysfunctional.  You can see pics on this thread if you're interested.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5345.msg89287.html#msg89287

We can talk more about the actual condition on that thread if need be to keep this thread on topic.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline denisew

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

My 10 yo DS has the EXACT same thing though I never knew it had a name.  His allergy/asthma dr. gave him Zyrtec too.  The dr. called his nurse in to show her how sensitive his skin is by taking his ballpoint pen and just running it down his arm (without the ink thingy sticking out) and sure enough, a few minutes later and a HUGE  welp all the way down his arm.  I just asked him if they itch and he said not usually.  I'm curious to know which of us parents he got it from.  My DS is also allergic to everything outside that grows and soy and corn.  I have also been told he has leaky gut.  I don't give him the Zyrtec.  He just lives with the welps!  I'm very interested if anyone has any additional  help!

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:29:29 PM »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 03:17:17 AM »
I have been taking Zyrtec for a year and a half to control my condition (dermographism).  If I had an alternative that didn't cause worse side effects, I would definately use it.

I thought I'd give you a brief summary of the side effects I am feeling to help you decide whether you want to seek this treatment or if you're already using it maybe it will give some insight to any side effects you might be suffering.

Before I started taking this, I previously cleansed for yeast, healed my leaky gut and was generally healthy and full of energy.  After being treated for a problem with my neck and taking pain medication, I developed dermographism and had to take the zyrtec to control the hives, swelling & uncontrollable itching.

Since, I have developed chronic fatigue, my yeast/leaky gut symptoms are returning one by one and I just feel generally yucky.  I can't lose weight, probably do to the intestinal problems and/or liver congestion.

No matter what the doctor says about it's so-called safety, using this drug does not come without it's physical ramifications.

I would think twice before giving this to my children.  It would only be a last resort choice.

For what it's worth, this has been my experience.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 03:44:16 AM »
I didn't read all the replies. Zyrtec works great for my allergies, BUT it makes me so sleepy I can hardly function.