Author Topic: Can I use this apple juice?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline bighornbound

• Learning
Can I use this apple juice?
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:33:29 PM »
We just bought a very large bottle of Apple Juice from Costco today. We got it home and it has a small hole in the side. As we live over 90 miles away from costco we will not be taking it back.  I know that "when in doubt, throw it out."  But could i boil it, or use it in recipes?  What do you think?

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
Re: Can I use this apple juice?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:51:10 PM »
Beings that Im a bit of a germophobe I would not want to use it incase some nasty germs were accidently or purposly put in that hole on the side of the bottle.

Im sure its probably ok but what if..............................?

I know I sound paranoid, lol.   :D

Offline bighornbound

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:23:36 AM »
That is what i was thinking! it is just so sad to waste something and not to know if the hole is from you or was their since you bought it!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 04:32:51 AM »
If I were you, I would keep the receipt and take it with you the next time you go.  Even if it is a month later.  If  you are concerned, call them and tell them the situation and they will mark it ahead of time for you.  This way you can exchange for a different one or use an in-store credit.  One time my store charged me a dollar more for some cheese that was on sale and I took it back over a week later just to get my dollar.  I am like that!  :D

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 04:55:17 AM »
If the hole were pretty small, I'd probably umm <blushing> boil it and use it anyway....  At least if it didn't smell bad.  We like hot apple juice.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 06:49:47 AM »
We just bought a very large bottle of Apple Juice from Costco today. We got it home and it has a small hole in the side. As we live over 90 miles away from costco we will not be taking it back.  I know that "when in doubt, throw it out."  But could i boil it, or use it in recipes?  What do you think?
Costco is reputed to be a good company with excellent customer service.  Personally, I would call them and tell them your situation (90 miles of travel, etc.) and see if they don't reimburse you.   That's what I would do.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline bighornbound

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 08:32:27 AM »
thanks for all your input, i think i will call them! 

freshisbest

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 01:11:10 AM »
(Better late than never) If you use a credit card, sometimes they will just pull up the reciept and credit your card for the amount if you call them. Might not work after the day of purchase, but for future reference!

Offline bighornbound

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »
thank you!   :)