Author Topic: Rhubarb  (Read 35235 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Rhubarb
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »
I saw a show once that talked about using cooking rhubarb with Pork, probably would be good with Chicken too.  I haven't tried it but thought about it a bunch of times... I'm sure a quick google for rhubarb and pork could find a recipe.  Anyone tried it before?

SarahV
Probably not a bad idea.  It's very sour and grassy tasting like celery.  I'm not sure who thought up rhubarb as a "sweet" treat, because it's anything but...
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2008, 04:53:27 AM »
Anyone have a strawberry rhubarb quick bread recipe?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 05:38:15 AM »
Considering the consistancy of rhubarb, I would guess that if you diced it very finely you might be able to sub rhubarb for zuchinni in a zuchinni bread recipe.  You might want to sub brown sugar for white to help sweeten it a bit, but i'd bet it would work.  I might have to try it sometime - got tons of rhubarb that need eaten.  ;D

Let me know if you find something that works.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2008, 05:41:18 AM »
I found a sour cream rhubarb coffee cake type thing that I'm trying instead.  It's in the oven now.  I put strawberries in it too though, subbed coconut oil for the shortening and used demerera cane sugar instead of the white... ;D  we'll see how it turns out!
Here's the link:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream-Rhubarb-Squares/Detail.aspx

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
OR what if you did a regular coffee cake and then used rhubarb sauce over the top?

Here's a recipe from Joy With Honey by Doris Mech:

Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Sauce

Ingredients:
4 c finely diced rhubarb
1 c honey

Directions:
Wash the rhubarb stalks and split any large stalks in half lengthwise.  Slice thinly into a large bowl.  Add the honey and let stand for several hours or overnight.  DO NOT add any water at all!  The honey will draw the natural juices out of the rhubarb.  Use more or less honey according to your personal taste.  For a tarter sauce, use only 3/4 c honey.  For a sweeter sauce, you may use 1-1/2 cups of honey, if desired.  (We think 1 cup is just right.)  The next morning, put the rhubarb and all its "juice" in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Then turn the heat down and simmer gently until the rhubarb is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.  Do not overcook.  Remove teh sauce from the stove.  Cover tightly and cool.  It will be ready to eat within half an hour.  Yield: abut 8 servings.  NOTE: If you are buying rhubarb, remember that for every pound of fruit you will get 3-3/4 cups of finely diced rhubarb.

If you try this, let me know!  We have rhubarb out the wazoo coming up in our garden, and although I've never been a fan, I'd like to try it made 'tasty.'  :D

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »

My mother used a basic biscuit recipe or Bisquick to make our family favorite:
1/2" pieces rhubarb 1 or 2 cups rhubarb 1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar let sit 20 min to get juicy. (she varied amount to what she had)
Make biscut roll to 1/2" thick dump rhubarb sugar on top spread to edges roll like jelly roll, slice into 1/2" thick pieces set in pie dish or baking pan bake until light brown and bubbly at biscuit temp.
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »
Does anyone know if Rhubarb leaves are useful for anything?

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2008, 02:17:04 PM »
I definitely know you don't want to EAT them - they're full of oxalic acid, and therefore toxic.   :o

But if someone comes up with some uses, I can ship some to ALL of you, because we've got tons!   :D

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2008, 02:37:31 PM »
I definitely know you don't want to EAT them - they're full of oxalic acid, and therefore toxic.   :o

But if someone comes up with some uses, I can ship some to ALL of you, because we've got tons!   :D

Good to know! ;D  I guess they are going in the compost pile, they are huge and beautiful and my kids are having fun with them. 

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2008, 04:00:36 PM »

Didn't someone say on a cleaning thread that oxalic acid removes rust stains from things?   Could you use rhubarb leaves????    I might have to try this in my shower.   :o
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 03:59:30 AM »

Good to know! ;D  I guess they are going in the compost pile, they are huge and beautiful and my kids are having fun with them. 
The child eating the stalk should be wearing the leaf as a hat. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2008, 04:04:51 AM »

The child eating the stalk should be wearing the leaf as a hat. 

I have a few pictures of just that.

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2008, 07:58:09 AM »

Just in case you were thinking of putting diapers in the compost with the rhubarb leaves!  ;D

6.7 - Can I compost my rhubarb leaves
Many folks have been concerned about adding rhubarb leaves to their compost piles. If the leaves are poisonous, they must be bad for compost as well, since rhubarb stalks contain a high concentration of oxalic acid which slightly toxic. What actually occurs when rhubarb is added to a compost pile is that the oxalic acid is decomposed and pH balanced rather quickly. People do not eat compost piles as a rule anyway, and even if a child were to eat compost dirt, there would be problems other than residuals from the decomposing rhubarb stalks. Experience has also shown that the level of acid does not inhibit the microbial action of composting. Compost piles which were nearly all rhubarb leaves and stalks have decomposed very nicely and the compost has behaved like ordinary compost and no inhibition of plant growth was noticed from the compost. Note that some items are a problem for composting including: eucalyptus leaves and bark, omnivore (cat and dog) pet feces, diapers, meat scraps, and treated lumber. 29

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html

This site has a lot on rhubarb
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Tidbit:

Rhubarb is highly acidic--in fact, some people swear the best way to clean a stained pot is to cook rhubarb in it. To avoid a chemical reaction, use a stainless steel, glass, enameled or nonstick pan. Aluminum or uncoated iron pans will turn the mixture gray.
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Rhubarb-The-Pie-Plant/detail.aspx

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 03:08:02 AM »
I lay  the rhubarb leaves along the paths in our garden to keep the weeds down. 

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:51 AM »
I lay  the rhubarb leaves along the paths in our garden to keep the weeds down. 

How cool!  And look what I found, too:

If aphids are pest in your garden, rhubarb can help. In her book, "Slug Bread & Beheaded Thistles," author Ellen Sandbeck describes a unique use for rhubarb leaves--as an aphid spray. Here's the recipe:
1) Chop 3 to 5 rhubarb leaves and add to a quart of water. 2) Boil for 30 minutes.
3) Strain and add a dash of liquid, non-detergent, soap.
4) Fill spray bottle with liquid and use it on aphids.
Note: Because rhubarb leaves are poisonous, don't use this spray on edible plants

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2008, 12:58:21 PM »
I found a sour cream rhubarb coffee cake type thing that I'm trying instead.  It's in the oven now.  I put strawberries in it too though, subbed coconut oil for the shortening and used demerera cane sugar instead of the white... ;D  we'll see how it turns out!
Here's the link:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream-Rhubarb-Squares/Detail.aspx

So yummy!!! ;D

Offline Prairie Momma

• Learning
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 03:08:09 PM »
My 10 month old just tried to eat a rhubarb leaf.  She seems fine and I've talked to Poison Control, but I am wondering what you would do if your child ate some?  Thanks!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
My 10 month old just tried to eat a rhubarb leaf.  She seems fine and I've talked to Poison Control, but I am wondering what you would do if your child ate some?  Thanks!

If she might have ate enough to be a problem I would make her vomit it up &/or give activated charcoal. I posted about it here:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,26343.msg247439.html#msg247439

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom