Author Topic: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas  (Read 67271 times)

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
Re: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:43 PM »
sarahlarae was a real sweety and gave me one of these bars. I would call it mostly solid, but a little "gummy" when you touch it. It rubs off easily, but not too easily,giving you too much at a time. I like mine. She put peppermint oil in hers and I actually took some off the bar to use as lip balm,since the ingredients are basically the same. Oh, I have been keeping mine on the nightstand, wrapped in the freezer paper she packaged it in. It has not melted or gotten much softer, even with the woodstove going too hot. ::)
I think if you liked what I mentioned, you'd be pleased with it too. HTH. Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 05:55:39 PM »
Amy got it.  But you can make it softer or harder by taking away or adding more beeswax.  More bee's wax firmer bar.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »
I had read somewhere (not on this site) that lanolin was not good for you.  I can't remember where I read it, or what exactly the thing with it was.  I just made a mental note that if I see it on an ingredient list I didn't want it.  Does anyone know anything about this? :-\
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2007, 03:56:29 AM »
Really?  I've never herd that before.  I've always used it for cracked ni**les and it was the only thing that helped me. :-\  Any body know why it wouldn't be good for you?  If so I want to know.
Sarah

YoopreMama

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2007, 04:18:07 AM »
I wonder if it was a product made w/ lanolin AND petrolatum--that's the ingredient that is not so good for you.  ???

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2007, 04:27:18 AM »
that would make since.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2007, 04:38:40 AM »
I am quite sure that there is nothing wrong with lanolin. In fact, it's "good" for you.  Lanolin is just the oil that sheep produce.  If you rub a sheep and stick your fingers in it's wool, your hand will be a little greasy -that's lanolin.
HTH

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:41 AM »
I still can't remember where I read it, but I do remember what I read about the lanolin.  Lanolin can be contaminated with pesticides.  If a product has lanolin or you are going to use lanolin it should be organic (no pesticides).  There I answered my own question.  It just took some quiet time where my mind was able to think.  Thanks everybody.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2007, 09:49:45 PM »
Just melt coconut oil, olive oil, Pure lanolin, vitamin e, an essential oil for smell, and bee's wax. 

Hello Sarahlarae,

Where do you get your vitamin E and bees's wax?  This looks like a recipe that I can actually make   :D

Thanks!

Missy

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2007, 05:16:12 AM »
Ditto on where to get your beeswax, oils, etc. Can you get them at Wally-World or do you order them?

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2007, 05:35:56 AM »
She gets her Vitamin E at Walmart.and we buy the beeswax from my Dad a bee keeper.

Em

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2007, 06:09:35 AM »
She gets her Vitamin E at Walmart.and we buy the beeswax from my Dad a bee keeper.

Em

Is that the Vitamin E in capsules?  Also, can you buy beeswax online?  I don't have access to a beekeeper.  Thanks!

Missy

Offline Sarahsboys

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2007, 06:26:43 AM »
Here is a terrific website and company to buy your lotion/soap/candlemaking supplies from:  www.glorybee.com  They sell beeswax, oils, etc.  They even have really great prices on coconut oil from regular all the way to cold pressed organic coconut oil which is food grade.  :)  I bought beeswax sheets from them a few years back and rolled them up to make candles.  Very easy, cheap and neat looking.  I was able to find beeswax from my local beekeeper here in town.  He sells his honey at the natural foods co-op and I called him and he gave me a really great deal on a big chunk of beeswax.  I grate bits off of it to make lip balm and have been experimenting with lotions, etc.  If you can't find beeswax locally, Glory Bee is an excellent resource.  I have found their prices to be the most reasonable and they're a great company.

Hope this helps! :)
Sarah

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
I get my vit e in a bottle that is just liquid.  It should be at most stores in this form in the vitamin section.
I initially had a hard time finding beeswax, but I found it at craft stores in the soap/candle making section.  I get mine at Hobby Lobby (they have 40% off coupons so this helps), but I have also seen it at Joann and Michaels.  W-M may have it, but I haven't checked there.  At these stores it is usually in the range of $10 per pound, but all of them offer the coupons, in my area at least, so it ends up being around $6 for a pound.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2007, 06:44:22 AM »
Is there a difference between ingredients that absorb into the skin (like coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) and ingredients that do not really absorb but maybe protect (I'm thinking beeswax, lanolin, cocoa butter, etc.?)

If we want to moisturize a dry spot, would it be better to avoid things that do not absorb? 

Seems like I read an article somewhere, (don't ask where, I'm pregnant!) about how the molecules in beeswax and cocoa butter are too large for the skin to actually absorb, they end up sitting on the skin and eventually get rubbed off.  So, they can protect from things like wind, water, etc, but they do not actually help the skin to recover because they don't allow the skin to "breathe" . . . am I making any sense?

So, if you want the skin to recover, (like get to where you don't need the lotion 24/7,) you would avoid the thick goopy things and only go for easily absorbed stuff.  And save the thick stuff for when your skin needs to be protected FROM something specific.  KWIM?

Any thoughts?  What has worked best for you for actual dry skin healing? 

I have been making my own lotion with coconut oil, cocoa butter, beeswax and jojoba oil for a while now, and I'm only just now thinking about these things   ::)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 08:30:56 AM »
Is there a difference between ingredients that absorb into the skin (like coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) and ingredients that do not really absorb but maybe protect (I'm thinking beeswax, lanolin, cocoa butter, etc.?)

If we want to moisturize a dry spot, would it be better to avoid things that do not absorb? 
After over a year on this website, I've come to realize that the body is capable of moisturizing it's own skin without the help of moisturizers and lotions IF it's working properly and you're not doing things to counteract natural body functions.  The one thing that most people do that seems to be the most counterproductive for the skin is using degreasing agents to bathe and cleanse with.  By using soap and other hygiene and cleaning products that include decreasing detergents (even those considered "mild") work against the body's natural function to oil itself through the skin.  JMO.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
Thanks HB, I hear what you say and have found that to be true, for the most part, with myself. 

After all the changes I have made with soaps & shampoos and adding in so many good things like ACV after I shower, more healthy fats in my diet, and drinking about a gallon of Mama's RR Brew daily  ::) I must say that my skin seems to require very little additional help.  Most of these changes have been because of WTM, and many of your own helpful posts  :)  Thank you!

My sweet hubby, on the other hand, does not follow the same kinds of routines that I do, and he struggles with REALLY dry skin on his hands.

He is a chemist and wears gloves all day, works with bio-hazard stuff all the time, which makes him want to wash his hands a million times a day, and then comes home and spends the evening bucking up wood outside in the cold (of course, no gloves!) for our woodstove!  (We heat our house with a woodstove, and I keep 2 humidifiers going all the time.)  For hydration, he drinks coffee!!!

So, I am trying to help him in the way he wants help . . . he thinks a good lotion will solve his problem and I'm just wanting to know what kinds of ingredients are the best at nourishing his skin (from the outside, in!), KWIM?

That made me wonder about the different ingredients - some oils just soak right in, some leave a protective layer - which is better at really moisturizing the skin?

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »
Thanks HB, I hear what you say and have found that to be true, for the most part, with myself. 

After all the changes I have made with soaps & shampoos and adding in so many good things like ACV after I shower, more healthy fats in my diet, and drinking about a gallon of Mama's RR Brew daily  ::) I must say that my skin seems to require very little additional help.  Most of these changes have been because of WTM, and many of your own helpful posts  :)  Thank you!

My sweet hubby, on the other hand, does not follow the same kinds of routines that I do, and he struggles with REALLY dry skin on his hands.

He is a chemist and wears gloves all day, works with bio-hazard stuff all the time, which makes him want to wash his hands a million times a day, and then comes home and spends the evening bucking up wood outside in the cold (of course, no gloves!) for our woodstove!  (We heat our house with a woodstove, and I keep 2 humidifiers going all the time.)  For hydration, he drinks coffee!!!

So, I am trying to help him in the way he wants help . . . he thinks a good lotion will solve his problem and I'm just wanting to know what kinds of ingredients are the best at nourishing his skin (from the outside, in!), KWIM?

That made me wonder about the different ingredients - some oils just soak right in, some leave a protective layer - which is better at really moisturizing the skin?

Glycerin is also highly "hygroscopic" which means that it absorbs water from the air. Example: if you left a bottle of pure glycerin exposed to air in your kitchen, it would take moisture from the air and eventually, it would become 80 per glycerin and 20 percent water.

Because of this hygroscopic quality, pure, 100 percent glycerin placed on the tongue may raise a blister, since it is dehydrating. Diluted with water, however, it will soften your skin. (Note: While people say this softening is the result of the glycerin attracting moisture to your skin, there is heated debate as to whether or not the glycerin has some other properties all its own which are helpful to the skin. Summed up, the current thinking is "We know glycerin softens the skin. Some people think its because it attracts moisture, but there could be other reasons.")

I found the above quote in this article:

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/glycerin.html

I have used glycerin to moisturize really dry skin with good success. I use 100% vegetable glycerin diluted by half with water. This works when your skin is really dry and needs to be moisturized.

Smoothing on an oil over damp hands works great when going to bed. I've used un-petroleum jelly with good success for this, as it is thicker and really seals the moisture in. There is a recipe for it somewhere on WTM.

Lanolin (mixed with a little essential oils to cut the fragrance) is GREAT for chapped skin. It is a very thick and almost sticky oil. This might be what he needs for long days at work as it will definitely protect and soften his hands. You can find tubes of lanolin that are for nursing mothers to use on chapped places, as well as just by the bottle at your local HFS. I use the NOW brand of lanolin.

These are all what I would try. Hope that helps!
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2007, 01:12:56 PM »
My first 2 recommendations would be lanolin and coconut oil.  Lanolin seems to be a good fat based moisturizer and coconut oil is non-greasy and anti-fungal.  I've used lanolin in the past for cracked and dry nipples and it worked wonderfully.  I also used it on one of my newborns because her hands and feet were peeling off entire layers of skin right after she was born.  It worked well for her too.  If I feel a little on the "dry" side, I use coconut oil on a daily basis (nowadays it's rare).  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2007, 06:01:19 PM »
I third lanolin. After my dh shears sheep his normally rough hands (which I like btw) turn soft. :) And in the winter if his hands get dry he wishes he had a fox or 2 to skin. So I'm thinking something in the animal fat/oil line would do the trick.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2007, 06:20:51 AM »
Thanks ladies!

I think I'll try a couple different things so that he can "experiment" (he IS a scientist!) on himself to see what works the best.

I'll start with the lotion bars like sarahlarae mentioned earlier in this thread, because she used lanolin, and I have all the ingredients on hand - something I can make soon.

Then I think I'll put an order in for glycerin, because I am out and need more anyway, then we can try the glycerin/water mix, too.

I appreciate your help -

Edited for typos  ::)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:22:49 AM by Gigi »

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2007, 07:37:48 AM »
Where do you all get your lanolin?

I had some lansinoh lanolin, but now I need to get some more so I can make more of these lotion bars - the lansinoh comes in a small tube and I think I'd like to get more at a time.

Thanks!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2007, 07:41:55 AM »
Where do you all get your lanolin?

I had some lansinoh lanolin, but now I need to get some more so I can make more of these lotion bars - the lansinoh comes in a small tube and I think I'd like to get more at a time.

Thanks!
I've ordered Lard from this company.  They carry all of the lotion and soap base oils, including lanolin.

http://www.soaperschoice.com/cgi-soaperschoice/Web_store/web_store.cgi?query_price_low_range=0&cart_id=
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2007, 09:43:07 AM »
Thanks, HB, I was JUST NOW looking at their web site!  Seems like a good price for stuff . . .

(don't shoot me, here, (I am committing a real faux pas asking the moderator an off-topic question!), but I noticed the lard on that website, myself, and was curious - is it hydrogenated?)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2007, 01:02:53 PM »
Thanks, HB, I was JUST NOW looking at their web site!  Seems like a good price for stuff . . .

(don't shoot me, here, (I am committing a real faux pas asking the moderator an off-topic question!), but I noticed the lard on that website, myself, and was curious - is it hydrogenated?)

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,125.msg3866.html#msg3866
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline handsful l--l_

• Learning
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 04:12:43 PM »
According to some research I did, I found that Coconut butter clogs the skin pores, but Shea Butter doesn't.  Someone said that is because it is in a solid form at room temperature rather than a liquid.  That would not make sense for Shea butter though.  I was just curious to see if this was true or not.  Everything I seemed to read said that your skin absorbs it and it does not clog your pores.

Also I read that "Over a period of about two years, the healing properties of the Shea butter are slowly lost."  Just curious if either of these statements were true.
I was signing along to music on my headphones one night and my brother looked over at me and asked, "Are you listening to sign language?"

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2008, 11:38:57 AM »
I read through this whole thread and it seemed like any recipes listed called for coconut oil, which I don't have.

I do have....
an aloe plant, dried plantain leaves, vitamin e capsules, lansinoh lanolin, extra virgin olive oil, peppermint essential oil, and a hunk of bees wax

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to make this into a creme, salve, or lotion?  I'm really anxious to try to make something with the bees wax.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2008, 12:12:13 PM »
I read through this whole thread and it seemed like any recipes listed called for coconut oil, which I don't have.

I do have....
an aloe plant, dried plantain leaves, vitamin e capsules, lansinoh lanolin, extra virgin olive oil, peppermint essential oil, and a hunk of bees wax

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out how to make this into a creme, salve, or lotion?  I'm really anxious to try to make something with the bees wax.

I made a salve with comfrey, plantain, and aloe in olive oil and beeswax.  I just melted some beeswax in olive oil in my crockpot.  Then chopped up my herbs and added them.  Cooked on low for 3 hours.  Strained out herbs and poured into jars to cool.  I didn't add any EOs.  I would probably add them just before pouring into the jars.

I poured mine into some fancy jelly jars and let cool and then put the lids on.  To my surprise, they sealed, so I haven't had any problems with molding or spoiling.  I even got some little containers from Mountain Rose Herbs and put some in those to carry in the diaper bag and my purse.  DH also carries it in his work truck.

I'm really pleased with mine.  We use it on everything...cuts, bites, rashes.  I even used it on a burn...my preggo belly got in the way while canning and boiling water spilled on it.  I put my salve on right away (it had already started to blister).  And a couple of hours later you couldn't even see where it was.  I could still feel it though, so I put some on that night before bed and by morning it was fine.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »
Oh THANK YOU!
That sounds easy enough.  I was afraid I couldn't do it without the coconut oil everyone talks about.  I only have the large crock pots and I just want to make a small amount to start, so I think I'll try it on super low on the stove top.
Thanks for the 'recipe' and confidence booster that I CAN actually do this.  For some reason I just needed someone to  tell me JUST what to do!    ::)

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:44 PM »
I only have the large crock pots and I just want to make a small amount to start, so I think I'll try it on super low on the stove top.

I boiled a pot of water and then put a smaller pot inside with my ingredients, that way I didn't worry about it scalding.  Kind of like a double boiler.

Missy