Author Topic: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas  (Read 67273 times)

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
Re: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 10:08:27 AM »
I have used Beeyoutiful's Vanilla Dream Body Butter and it's really nice. But, this is the first winter I've been in a house with all electric heat and my skin has been drying out like crazy. Even that Body Butter hasn't been enough for me. The only thing that works, especially for my hands, which dry out the worst is a lotion I make that I got out of the book "The Soapmaker's Companion." It has a lot of different oils and a couple butters, so it may be too complex for some, but it's works wonders. Everyone I've share it with raves about it. If you want to buy the book, they have it for a great price on: More Than Alive along with a bunch of other great deals on a lot of products.

The recipe is on page 53 and it's called Native Blend Moisturizing Cream. She has 4 different ways you can make it depending on if you like your lotion runny or firm. I like the option called firm mousse.

Ingredients:
Oil Phase
250 grams olive oil
50 grams sweet almond oil
25 grams wheat germ oil
50 grams jojoba oil
10 grams shea butter
20 grams castor oil
20 grams cocoa butter
100 grams beeswax
Water Phase
440 grams distilled water
10 grams borax
15 grams vegetable glycerin
5 grams essential oil (optional)

Instructions:
Use 2 saucepans - one for the oil mixture and one for the water mixture. Heat both mixtures to 165 degrees F. Be sure the borax dissolves completely in the water and that the beeswax fully melts from the heat of the oils. Monitor temperature to avoid overheating.

Pour oil mixture into a mixing bowl. If you have an electric mixer, you can set it at the lowest setting. I don't have an electric one, so I just use electric hand beaters. Slowly drizzle water mixture into the oils. Continue to blend on low until the mixture thickens slightly, scraping any solid or liquid  buildup that clings to the sides of the bowl back into the cream. When it has thickened enough to increase speed without  splashing wildly, increase mixer to the next setting. Continue increasing speed as the mixture thickens until it comes to the consistency of mayonnaise.

Once the mixture is uniform and has begun to cool (the mixing bowl should not feel hotter than lukewarm), add the essential oil and continue beating to fully incorporate the scent. At this point, a fast stir (setting 3 or 4) is critical for a perfectly creamy blend. When the cream is smooth and cool, pour into jars. I add Ylang Ylang and/or Lavender essential oil to the lotion because they are good for the skin. You can find essential oils at the site I listed above as well.

Enjoy.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »
I would also say coconut oil.

When I am pregnant I make "belly bars" by melting unrefined coconut oil with a little bit of Jojoba oil. I add a few drops of an essential oil and let it firm up. You can let it firm up and then cut it into blocks or if you have soap molds you can use those.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2007, 08:38:14 AM »
Just wanted to add my opinion on Beeyoutiful's Vanilla Dream Body Butter.

We like it alot!!! It works especially well for my African American son who gets dry skin on his arms and legs.  Smells GREAT!  Kids say it smells like you should lick it. LOL!  :D

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
I don't use soap when I shower and that helps a lot to keep my skin from drying out. After I get out ot the shower, I use sheaterra organics body oil in vanilla. It smells heavenly and leaves a soft fragrance. It is not cheap but I love it and will definitely repurchase. It is not cheap, but it smells great and that is hard to come by in a natural product. DH loves it on me.

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 08:25:37 AM »
Thanks for the replies! :) I used some coconut oil that I had on hand and it REALLY works!  :o I was surprised because it was still on my skin the next day. (I had applied it the night before after my shower)
Who would have thought!   ::) (I sometimes miss the most OBVIOUS things...  :-[ :-\  )
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 12:22:56 PM »
First of all, i wanted to say hello. I'm new here and love this forum.  ;D

Ok, I'm 28 and have been in the sun all my life. I have three daughters and have been married since i was 16. I have noticed some lines around my eyes in the past few years, and i also have really dry skin. What is a good product to use thats natural?
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »
wash with honey and moisturize with emu oil. I buy an awesome one from www.gardenofwisdom.com

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 02:04:37 PM »
What is emu oil?  My skin gets dry really easy also.  How do you wash with honey?  Put it on your face and rinse it off?  Sounds sticky, I normally have to use soap to get honey off my hands.  I am would love to try it!  Now I normally wash my face with baking soda, but maybe I do that too often.

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
bump  ;D

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 06:32:45 PM »
I normally wash with stuff from walmart (probably not good for ya) and i break open a vitamen E capsule and rub it all over my face. It doesn't break me out at all and it helps my skin not dry out. The problem is that i Look like I'm plastic. LOL!!! Cant go out like that.  :D
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 03:50:32 AM »
yeah my face peels in the winter from drying out.  Ugh.

Offline Sunshine06

• Psalm 115
  • Adept
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 04:27:55 AM »
I don't have really dry skin, but it does get quite dry in the winter. I've been using coconut oil and that seemed to work pretty well. (I had some infused with lavender oil left over from a massage and that worked well and smelled good too :)) You only need a little and you have to let it soak in a bit so you don't look oily. :) Just a suggestion for something you might have in the house.
Non nobis, non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.
Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, but unto Thy name give glory.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 05:10:59 AM »
I'm not sure if this would be anti-aging or not, but I really like aloe vera gel for a face moisturizer. I use just a dab of the 100% aloe vera jelly and rub it in. It makes your skin feel a little "tight" at first, but I notice a difference in how my skin looks when I use it.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 05:38:37 AM »
To wash with honey, splash your face with water, rub honey all over it and then wash off with your hands or a washcloth.

Emu oil is oil from emus. Sounds gross, but definitely works.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
I really like Arbonne skin care but I know there are some of the products that have stuff in that I would rather avoid.    :-\   thing of it is I know it works to make my skin look younger and feels really good too.  That's vanity for you.  I haven't found anything I like better so am sticking with it for the time being. 
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
I have been using Olive Squalane as a moisturizer and I just love it.  It is light, not greasy and naturally unscented. 

This is a good time for you to begin looiing into this.  Best to start young and keep up than to try and fix it later!

Blessings!  :D

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2007, 12:36:38 PM »
I thought I'd revive this thread. I've been looking for a lotion recipe. I don't like the feel of body butters. They are too oily. Most of the recipes I've found on-line call for expensive or questionable ingredients. Anyone have a good non-greasy recipe?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 04:44:46 AM by tjmjfamily »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »
Anyone have a good non-greasy recipe?

Maria

Well, this about like calling a box cake "from scratch" just because you added chocolate chips and nuts to it, but I have purchased a lotion base from LorAnn Oils (more about the company on a different thread...) and I LOVE it. You just add water until it's the consistency you want and then a few drops of essential oils if you want it to be scented.

Here's the ingredient info:
Goat Milk Multibase
Ingredients: Glycerin, Glycol Monostearate, Acrylamide Copolymer, Octyldodecanol, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Paltimate, PEG-20 Glyceryl Stearate, Ceteareth-14 Polysorbate 85, Water, Goat Milk, Iodopropanol Butylcarbonate.

I think in this case, it's more like 'home-mixed' lotion, but it works well and doesn't as many 'bad' ingredients as the store-bought lotions. It's my first step into the better health and beauty aids.

Forgot to add, it is very light and quickly absorbed by the skin.

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2007, 03:42:44 AM »
I need a recommendation for a good, moisturizing lotion. Something that really works, and leaves your skin feeling moisturized longer than 15 minutes after you put it on. I have dry skin, and have to put lotion on after every shower or I just feel dried out. 

I know there's some underlying health issue here, but right now I just want to ask what the best lotion you've found is. Natural or not.  ::)  I know, that's prob'ly not a good attitude, but I just need something that works right now.

YoopreMama

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 04:17:06 AM »
After trying MANY lotions (from mainstream, dermatologist recommended, to co-op-carrying...), I'm in love w/ an emu oil lotion from mominjesus1.  Very few simple/natural ingredients.  I break out w/ eczema when I have gluten, and this helps that, moisturizes my dry skin, and helps w/ other skin owies.   :)

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2007, 04:32:44 AM »
Extra virgin olive oil is the best for me.  Sometimes I add a drop of Jasmine or Carnation ess. oil so dh can enjoy my presence.   ;)    I also have a cream made with comfrey and peppermint tinctured oil and raw beeswax.  This is great for healing and deep moisturizing. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

earthymomof2

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2007, 08:18:55 AM »
Hi Yooper,

Where can one obtain this Emu oil lotion?

Thanks

earthymomof2

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
I've made the Soapmaker's Companion recipe before and it truly is great.  For us, we've had to make it in small quantities, though, because it does get a little off after a couple of months if its not preserved with something.  We put it in a jar, and scooped it out, but maybe if you put it in a squeeze tube, it would last a little longer because of less contamination.

I want to make it again...gotta carve out the time and energy.  Need lip balm desperately too, so I need to make a day to make these things. 

YoopreMama

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2007, 09:22:03 AM »
Hi Yooper,

Where can one obtain this Emu oil lotion?

Thanks
mominjesus1 is the member name for the lady who makes and sells it.  You can PM her, or e-mail her, as she lists her information in her profile.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2007, 10:11:52 AM »
I use  my homemade lotion bars.  It works best after a shower, and leaves my skin silky soft.  It is easy shmeasy to make.  Just melt coconut oil, olive oil, Pure lanolin, vitamin e, an essential oil for smell, and bee's wax.  I don't measure I just dump it in until it looks right, leaning heavily on the coconut oil (about 1 tbs of lanolin and maybe 2 tsp of Vit E).  With the bee's wax I just add some let it melt with the rest then dip a spoon in and put the spoon in the fridge until it sets up.  If it is not thick/firm enough I add more and repeat the process until it is just right.  Then I poor it into a pan or soap mold until set up.  If you don't want to make it yourself I am selling it in the Buy/sale/trade thread.  Good luck!
Sarah
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 04:28:34 AM by sarahlarae »

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »
I use  my homemade lotion bars.  It works best after a shower, and leaves my skin silky soft.  It is easy shmeasy to make.  Just melt coconut oil, olive oil, lanolin, vitamin e, an essential oil for smell, and bee's wax.  I don't measure I just dump it in until it looks right, leaning heavily on the coconut oil (about 1 tbs of lanolin and maybe 2 tsp of Vit E).  With the bee's wax I just add some let it melt with the rest then dip a spoon in and put the spoon in the fridge until it sets up.  If it is not thick/firm enough I add more and repeat the process until it is just right.  Then I poor it into a pan or soap mold until set up.  If you don't want to make it yourself I am selling it in the Buy/sale/trade thread.  Good luck!
Sarah

You are so industrious!!! ;)

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2007, 12:33:33 PM »
he he he!  I try! ;D

cecac

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
I use  my homemade lotion bars.  It works best after a shower, and leaves my skin silky soft.  It is easy shmeasy to make.  Just melt coconut oil, olive oil, lanolin, vitamin e, an essential oil for smell, and bee's wax.  I don't measure I just dump it in until it looks right, leaning heavily on the coconut oil (about 1 tbs of lanolin and maybe 2 tsp of Vit E).  With the bee's wax I just add some let it melt with the rest then dip a spoon in and put the spoon in the fridge until it sets up.  If it is not thick/firm enough I add more and repeat the process until it is just right.  Then I poor it into a pan or soap mold until set up.  If you don't want to make it yourself I am selling it in the Buy/sale/trade thread.  Good luck!
Sarah

Thanks for the tip about the spoon in the fridge--I overshot my beeswax last time and had to dig it out of the container and thin it out with more oils :P.  I'm about to need to do it all again, and guess what?   I didn't write down what I put in the last time. ::)  So I bet I won't have to dig it out again what with the spoon in the fridge. :D  I use coconut, olive oil, beeswax, and lavendar ess oil.  I like the sound of that lanolin, too.  Hmmm.

Blessings,
Cara

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2007, 05:09:15 PM »
 ;)  I almost didn't do the spoon test when I first started, but I wasn't fallowing a recipe, and was afraid it would turn out mushy, and then I remembered making jelly forever ago and how we did a little dish test in the fridge.  I'm glad I did it too because my first batch I had to add a LOT more bee's wax. :D

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2007, 05:13:04 PM »
What is the consistency of your bar?  I am very intrigued by this idea...