Author Topic: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas  (Read 67272 times)

Offline anb

• Adept
Re: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2008, 06:07:12 PM »
OK, ladies, fix my face.  :)  Here's the background:  I have always had extremely dry skin, which is improving as I fix the rest of my system.  Killing yeast and using ACV in the shower have helped.  I've been using sweet almond oil on my face, and switched to mineral makeup, and loved the results.  Occasionally this winter I used coconut oil on my face, but I found that it broke me out after a few days.  Still great on the rest of my body, however.  As I've balanced the rest of my body, I can actually go without moisturizer on my face, but definitely prefer using something to maybe stave off tons of wrinkles a little longer.  I have extremely sensitive skin overall.  Here's the problem:  I went off of birth control pills at the beginning of February, after 13 years of use for PCOS.  Somehow, my face decided that now is the time to raise its own crop of pimples on my chin.  Apparently, puberty actually starts at 30  ::)  Every other day or so, a new spot pops up.  HELP!  I never had to worry about this before (at least on my face...) and am seriously hating every mirror in my house.  I'm probably supposed to be learning about vanity, come to think of it....  Anyhoo, does anyone have a good recipe or suggestions on how to make a moisturizer for my face that won't be too oily and bring on even more zits?  I've made salves before, so have a rudimentary grasp of this whole beeswax thing, but definitely appreciate amounts and directions  ;D

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2008, 03:09:19 AM »
OK, ladies, fix my face.  :)  Here's the background:  I have always had extremely dry skin, which is improving as I fix the rest of my system.  Killing yeast and using ACV in the shower have helped.  I've been using sweet almond oil on my face, and switched to mineral makeup, and loved the results.  Occasionally this winter I used coconut oil on my face, but I found that it broke me out after a few days.  Still great on the rest of my body, however.  As I've balanced the rest of my body, I can actually go without moisturizer on my face, but definitely prefer using something to maybe stave off tons of wrinkles a little longer.  I have extremely sensitive skin overall.  Here's the problem:  I went off of birth control pills at the beginning of February, after 13 years of use for PCOS.  Somehow, my face decided that now is the time to raise its own crop of pimples on my chin.  Apparently, puberty actually starts at 30  ::)  Every other day or so, a new spot pops up.  HELP!  I never had to worry about this before (at least on my face...) and am seriously hating every mirror in my house.  I'm probably supposed to be learning about vanity, come to think of it....  Anyhoo, does anyone have a good recipe or suggestions on how to make a moisturizer for my face that won't be too oily and bring on even more zits?  I've made salves before, so have a rudimentary grasp of this whole beeswax thing, but definitely appreciate amounts and directions  ;D
It almost sounds to me like you are detoxing from the pill.  I personally don't do natural skin care (too old and too vain, I suppose) but this would be what I would consider...
It sounds like you need something astringent to draw the impurities from your skin... the first thing that comes to my mind is a plantain tincture made from apple cider vinegar (featured in the BHS dvd). 
I also found this recipe for a yarrow skin toner: 
2 cups boiling water
2 tspn dried yarrow, or 4 tsp fresh yarrow
10 drops tea tree oil
5 drops of eucalpytus ess. oil
Add yarrow to boiling water, remove from heat and cover and steep for 30 minutes.  Strain and cool..  Add essential oils. Store in the refrigerator for up to a month.  Apply on a cotton ball after washing your face.
I would then use your previous method of moisturizing..

cecac

« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2008, 05:42:48 AM »
Acne on the chin may be horomones trying to balance, or they are unbalanced at this point.

I just say that because when I'm pregnant with girls and also when I am menustrating, I deal with that.  Yes, I hear you about being at puberty-but I'm 42 :D :o.

So, there may need to be something for horomone balancing.  I have not figured that one out, and I'm getting a break right now only because I'm preggars with a boy!!

I personally could not put anything on my chin for moisturizing during those times..........

My daughter actually found relief from acne that was getting impacted on her forehead with alot of what you are doing--chemical free allover the body, and we use Burt Bees products on the face.  Also,aloe vera is supposed to be good.   We found an aloe vera product at the HFS which has herbal extracts and organic aloe--it helps her and I think I will pick it up on my chin after the birth, just to be on the safe side.

HTH,
Cara

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2008, 11:50:58 AM »
It almost sounds to me like you are detoxing from the pill.
Acne on the chin may be horomones trying to balance, or they are unbalanced at this point.
Why on earth didn't I think about this?!  I'm blaming everything else on coming off the pill at this point, and this would actually make sense!  My hair got really greasy for about three weeks, too.  Man, I hate the pill!!

Mrs. B, I actually have all the ingredients for the yarrow toner and the plantain tincture; I'll probably do the yarrow and see how that works.  I'm also wondering about a plantain salve on the spots that are already there and need to heal up and get off!  Think that would work?

when I'm pregnant with girls and also when I am menustrating, I deal with that.
Oh, just watch this be the story of my life, too.  We don't want to know the sex, but I'm wiling to bet that I'll be the sex-predictor mom....  No surprises, it's written all over your face  :P

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »
You are so funny, anb...  It is funny that I have noticed that many moms didn't need the sono to determine sex... you only have to look at their complexions when pregnant...
You could try the plantain salve on the blemishes, but I would be afraid at adding too much oil to the area.  I found this recipe for blemishes:
2 tablespoons aloe vera juice
2 drops thyme eo (chemotype linalol)
2 drops tea tree oil
2 drops lavender eo
2 drops eucalyptus eo
Combine all and shake well.  Store in cool, dark palce for up to 4 months.
Use directly on pimples after cleansing and up to 3 times a day.

Offline anb

• Adept
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »
 ;D  Thanks! 
I've never seen thyme EO... this calls for a trip to the HFS.  Things are starting to clear up a bit, but none too soon.  I'll have to go mix a few things up this week and see what happens.  Thanks for your help!
Andrea

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »
ok, so am i reading this right that those of you who use coconut oil, just put it on your face? i mean, that is really simple..............i am looking for a mosturizer. My skin is not dry, yet not really oily. Ok, it feels dry AFTER washing then later on feels fine. But sometimes, well alot, if I use  a mosturizer, then it will feel oily later on.................does that make sense? would coconut oil be too much? or a little olive oil be too much? so confused on this
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »
ok, so am i reading this right that those of you who use coconut oil, just put it on your face? i mean, that is really simple..............i am looking for a mosturizer. My skin is not dry, yet not really oily. Ok, it feels dry AFTER washing then later on feels fine. But sometimes, well alot, if I use  a mosturizer, then it will feel oily later on.................does that make sense? would coconut oil be too much? or a little olive oil be too much? so confused on this

In my opinion Olive il by itself would be to much.  It is a very heavy oil.  But mixed with other lighter oils wouldn't be to bad.

Coconut oil, is a nice light oil.  Works great and soaks in really well
HTH
Sarah

Offline CAndy

• Adept
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2008, 02:12:46 AM »
I had read somewhere (not on this site) that lanolin was not good for you.  I can't remember where I read it, or what exactly the thing with it was.  I just made a mental note that if I see it on an ingredient list I didn't want it.  Does anyone know anything about this? :-\
I have read this too.  I read that lanolin is from sheep wool and that if it is not in small amounts can dry out your skin, I don't remember where I read this either, it was years ago. 

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2009, 10:35:48 AM »
Do any of you make your own cream? I've tried 4 batches, and they always separate within a few days. I use beeswax to emulsify. I prefer to not use other emulsifiers,because although they say "natural", they are still processed somehow. I noticed mountian rose herbs sells several skin creams that only use beeswax to emulsify, so there must be a way to do it! ??? Anyone tell me what to do for this? I'm following a recipe in a published book, and it says once it's mixed and "packaged" to  continue shaking to prevent separation. But I read elsewhere that it will separate if you overmix! Please help!
-visionary mom

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
I used to make and sell homemade lotions/creams.  How I got mine to not sep. was by blending it all in the blender with Aloe juice/jell.  Worked great!

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #131 on: May 28, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »
Thanks for responding. After I posted, I searched on line for more recipes, and found one made with lecithin instead of beeswax. So I tried that plus my regular recipe and mixed them with my stick blender. It worked great, the cream is rich and soothing, and best of all, after 24 hours no separation!  ;D

I do wonder about the lecithin though. All I've read about it is great, but it's derived from soy, which, in food, we try to avoid. If anyone knows about lecithin used in skin care, let me know!

Thanks! -Visionary mom

Offline rockclimber

• Learning
« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2009, 08:04:22 PM »
If anyone knows about lecithin used in skin care, let me know!

Thanks! -Visionary mom
I don't know if this helps, but www.cosmeticdatabase.com has a lot of info on ingredients.  You can search for an ingredient and it rates it on a scale of 0-10 for how dangerous it can be.  Here's the link for lecithin: http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=703513
It's a little confusing because it groups animal lecithin (I didn't know that existed) and soy lecithin together. It also gives a range in rating it of 3 to 6 which is considered moderate hazard, but 6 seems pretty high to me.  It calls it an "asthmagen" - maybe causing asthma??? I don't know.  Hmmm... hope this helps some.
Kassia