Author Topic: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas  (Read 67275 times)

Offline Sonja

• Adept
Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
simple

Have you tried coconut oil?  I finally found some at Walmart.  It costs about $2.50 quart in the midwest.  It's a terrific moisturizer and surprisingly, it has very little odor and it's not as greasy as olive oil.   ;D

You can also cook with it!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 08:35:21 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Face & Body Lotions, Creams & Moisturizer Recipes & Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:41:30 AM »
simple

Have you tried coconut oil?  I finally found some at Walmart.  It costs about $2.50 quart in the midwest.  It's a terrific moisturizer and surprisingly, it has very little odor and it's not as greasy as olive oil.   ;D

You can also cook with it!

Wow! I'm in Wyoming and it's  more like $9.50 a pint here :(
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:43:03 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 09:03:11 AM »
We don't have a Super Walmart close by, so yeah, here in Mich. it's more than $5. a pint. I just ordered some from my co-op though. (It's so cool this far north that they only order in the heat of summer, or they can't pour it!  ::))
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline TammyLee

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 12:04:39 PM »
what section of wal-mart did you find it??

TIA  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:13:26 PM »
what section of wal-mart did you find it??

TIA  :)

It was in grocery with the shortening and cooking oils.  It's called Lou Ana.  White jar with green lid about the size of a mayonaise jar.  I've never seen it before this trip, so I think it's a new addition to their stock.  Maybe if you put in a product request with the management, they would look into purchasing it for your store.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:38:07 AM »
Hello!

I've been using pure coconut oil for over a month (maybe 2) for a body lotion/moisturizer.  I really love the smell, ease and feel of it, but it's not moisturizing my skin enough. It's getting dry and scaly. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 07:01:45 AM »
Rmember the Aruvedic (?) hair oil?  I put Geranium and Lavender Essential in the olive oil, but use it as lotion as well as for my hair.  I really like the way it smells  :)  I don't know how well it moisturizes, as this isn't my dry skin season...
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 09:50:30 AM »
The Basic Moisturizing Skin Cream Formula
2 1/2 ounces blended oils (see "What are the Best Oils for Your Skin," below)
1 1/2 ounces coconut oil or cocoa butter
1/2 ounce beeswax
4 ounces distilled or purified water
1 teaspoon active royal jelly (optional; available in health food stores)
30 drops grapefruit seed extract (available in health food stores)
Essential oils of choice (optional)

Weigh the coconut oil and beeswax on a scale. Combine the oils and beeswax in a double boiler, and melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally. This step takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the melted oils and beeswax from the stove and add the water. Mix with an electric mixer until creamy and thick. Stir in the grapefruit seed extract and essential oils (if using). Store in glass jars with screw-on tops. Makes 8 ounces of cream. Note: This cream should last for 4 months or so, but if you see mold growing, discard. When you make kitchen cosmetics, cleanliness is really important so bacteria doesn't grow. Purified or distilled water is used in this recipe because bacteria has been filtered out.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes

What are the Best Oils for Your Skin?
The only way to find the best oils for your skin is to go to a health food store and buy a variety and see how they feel. Your skin will "tell" you when you have found the best ones for you. Join with some friends for this experiment, and share the cost.

Here are some suggested oils to try: almond oil; apricot kernel oil (great for sensitive and older skin); avocado oil (one of the most moisturizing oils and good for older skin); cocoa butter (protective and water repellent); grapeseed oil (a dry oil, good so the cream isn't too greasy); jojoba (actually a liquid wax and good to use so the cream isn't too greasy); peanut oil (good for all skin types); sesame oil (natural sunscreen); Shea butter (natural sunscreen); and wheat germ oil (high in vitamins and minerals).

An increasing number of natural plant-based moisturizing creams are on the market. Check at health food stores for products from our advertisers Kiss My Face and Aubrey Organics, among others.
Found at www.care2.com .
Sherri

Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

HamDiggy

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
Right after my morning shower, I rub a handful of regular vegetable oil all over my legs and body, mixing in with the water left on my skin.

I have extremely dry skin, swim a lot, and have never found any lotion that beats just plain veg. oil.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 04:05:37 PM »
I've got the cure for dry, flakey skin -- at least for me. I used an expensive product that I purchased from a private distributor. It was worth the money because of the quality, but I went to my kitchen and got the same results for a whole lot less expense. Mix sea salt with olive oil until you have a paste (you could substitute coconut oil). If you want to add essential oil, you could. I don't. Rub this paste dry onto your skin. This is great for dry hands. You can even use it as a pre-bath treatment over larger areas. Then wash with your favorite soap. You won't believe how baby-smooth you feel.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
I have been using a mixture of 25% pure Jojoba Oil and 75% Cocoa Butter. It is WONDERFUL! I've tried plain coconut oil before but it wasn't heavy enough to really work for my uber dry skin.  This has been the best thing I've found yet.  I use it right after I take a shower/bath.  I haven't had any dry rash breakouts since I've been using it.   ;D
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »
I seldom - if ever - use lotion on my body.  I think the vinegar in the bath takes care of it.
  My favorite herb book!!

1N1is6

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 02:25:46 AM »
I am trying to switch to an all natural facial regimen. I would love to hear everyone's idea's/recipes for moisturizers. Although I do break out (I think from toxins and/or touching my face?) every time I try an all-natural cure on my face it gets really dry. Is this because my face is addicted to the chemicals (a thought I've had for years) or that I'm doing the wrong thing? Does your skin fix itself after a week or two of non-chemical treatment? Any input would be great!
~Heidi

Offline cherish

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 07:53:20 AM »
Here is something very simple that I just discovered that works wonders and is as natural as you can get.  Coconut Oil!  My friend told me about it and I started using it with great success.  I recommended it to another friend, who's skin is a little more "mature" than mine and she can't say enough good about it.  Her skin stopped breaking out and her fine lines greatly minimized.  My face has been smoother and literally glows.  Coconut oil is an extremely healthy oil to eat so whatever is absorbed into your skin is actually good for your insides as well.  It works so well that we think we should re-package it in smaller bottles and sell it as a "miracle" skin serum and sell it for a lot of money.  :D
You can find it lots of places.  You can read about the health benefits at tropicaltraditions.com and you can also buy it there.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 07:55:36 AM »
Thanks, I'm going to try it! From this heat wave we are having, I was sweating so ofter and wiping my face, I have really dry skin. All my moisturizers are for oily skin. I'm going to put some on my face right now! ;D

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2006, 07:43:57 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any body cream recipes for that cold weather dry skin we all love this time of year, that you have used and found helpful?

Thanks!

Jenn
Jenn :D

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2006, 07:51:08 AM »
I've not used this..but I've read on other threads that people use Coconut Oil as lotion.
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2006, 03:23:49 AM »
I use coconut oil as lotion and it works great. Coconut oil is very all purpose around here. Cooking, diaper rashes, lotion, boo boos ect..

I have also made "belly bars" for lotion when I was pregnant. If you melt cocoa butter (unrefined) on low heat and then add some Jojoba oil you can make bars with it that look like soap. I don't have exact measurements. It takes just a little bit of oil because you want it to be hard like soap but have enough oil in it that it melts as you smear it all over your skin. I have also added essential oils to it so it smells great.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2006, 05:26:05 AM »
Thanks!  I'm going to have to buy some real soon!   :D  I love products that can be all purpose!!! 
Jenn :D

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2006, 06:03:11 AM »

We love to make our own body creams and 'boo-boo' cream. 

I soak dry herbs in olive oil for at least two weeks in a dark place, covered glass jar.
  ~moisture in fresh herbs can cause mold or bacterial growth~
After straining out the herbs, I slowly heat the oil  to 120*.  In another pan, Melt a small amount of beeswax slowly.  It takes a small amount of beeswax to 'set' the oil to a cream.  I add a little wax at a time, stir, and drip a bit on the counter to cool.  When you get the consistency you like, ladle or pour into warmed jars or containers.  Leave them until the cream cools, as they may crack if you try to move or clean up hot.  After cooling, put the lids on. 
I make large batches, so I dip the closed jars in paraffin to seal the lids.

I use marigold and comfrey for the herbs in an all purpose cream.  The allantoin in them is very good for skin.  Also can add healing herbs to the oil; add other oils or essential oils after heating.
The 'boo-boo' cream for all the children's scrapes and skins is made with goldenseal herb added to the above base and tea tree oil added after heating the oil.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline KeepItSimple

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 07:47:29 AM »
Does anyone know how to make a 'true' lotion?  Creams feel so thick and heavy on my skin.  I like Bath and Body Works lotions...but can't seem to find a resource on how to make them.

Thanks.
Wife to a wonderful man who happens to be a Chiropractor (aren't I blessed??) and home schooling mom to four great kids: Victoria ~16, Jacob ~13, Marlee ~8, David ~6

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2006, 06:11:48 AM »
HB merged 2 threads- thanks!

Above is a recipe called "The Basic Moisturizing Skin Cream Formula" posted by SHERRI REEL. I tried it, and liked it ok, but it needs 1/4 t. borax added to it, or it will seperate. Let us know if you try it!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:01:45 AM by dara »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »
dara, could you check that link and modify? I'm getting an error message and was wanting to look at the recipe you mentioned. THANKS!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 07:00:50 AM »
I just did modify, SC! Hope it works now!

Offline Karen

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »
Do you know if the LouAnna coconut oil would be benificial for facial cream...without adding anything to it?
I'm sure because of the way they refine it that it's not top notch stuff. I'm just wondering if there are any benefits in it as a moisturizer?

Offline MamaChildress

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
What do you use to make your skin soft? I have really dry skin, not severely so... but just "ashy" looking.  :D
I am amazed at the stuff that is in my Wal Mart brand Lubriderm knockoff.  :o
And seeing as how the skin is the largest organ... I am really trying to find a healthy, but cheap, alternative.

Suggestions, anyone???  :)
Blessings,
                             ~Janet~
                         ~MommyofTen~

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 09:18:57 AM »
What do you use to make your skin soft? I have really dry skin, not severely so... but just "ashy" looking.  :D
I am amazed at the stuff that is in my Wal Mart brand Lubriderm knockoff.  :o
And seeing as how the skin is the largest organ... I am really trying to find a healthy, but cheap, alternative.

Suggestions, anyone???  :)

Coconut oil. Also try to make sure to use it after your skin has absorbed water like ofter your shower. ANY moisturizer will work better if the skin is damp because it seals in the moisture that's there. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 09:19:15 AM »
Coconut oil, of course!    ;)  ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 09:23:05 AM »
Coconut oil seems to dry out my hands and feet a little so I mix it half and half with sweet almond oil. I use straight coconut on my tummy to help "fix" those stretch marks ;D

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »
Has anyone else tried Beeyoutiful's Shea Butter?  It's really thick, but I like it, esp. in the winter when it's so dry in my house. Just wondering.