Author Topic: Vanilla Beans  (Read 90199 times)

Offline Cimmaron

• Adept
Re: Vanilla Beans
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:15 AM »
I don't see where anyone has tried vanilla glycerite. I have, and it works great! I scoop the seeds out of my beans and cut the pods into 1" pieces. I put them in the bottom of a mason jar to about 1" from the bottom and pour a tablespoon or two of boiling water over them, let them sit for a bit, then add glycerin to an inch or two from the top. I then screw the lid on tight and put on a cloth in the crock pot. Fill the crock pot with water and put on lowest setting for 2-5 days - depends on how hot your crock pot gets. The glycerine should turn dark, but take it out before it starts smelling burnt. It seems like it is not quite as strong as alcohol vanilla extract, but that might be because it is sweet and does not have the added zap from the alcohol. Regardless it is delicious! The same method works for a delicious peppermint extract - fill the jar 1/2 full of dried peppermint leaves, pour a little boiling water over, and proceed the same as above.
i'm pretty sure noone has mentioned this before.  thanks for sharing.

have you ever tried this with coffee?

No, I have not. Sounds yummy!

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
Re: Vanilla Beans
« Reply #211 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »
Has anyone ordered vanilla beans recently? I'm looking for sources! Thanks!
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan