Author Topic: Vanilla Beans  (Read 92122 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Vanilla Beans
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2006, 06:39:12 AM »
MINE HAS BEEN BREWING FOR THREE OR SO MONTHS. I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL. I AM SEEING THAT I SHOULD HAVE HALVED THEM.

MY FRIEND USED BOURBON AND LOVES HERS..I USED VODKA.

CAN I RE-USE MY BEANS?
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Nickole

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:13 AM »
MINE HAS BEEN BREWING FOR THREE OR SO MONTHS. I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL. I AM SEEING THAT I SHOULD HAVE HALVED THEM.

MY FRIEND USED BOURBON AND LOVES HERS..I USED VODKA.

CAN I RE-USE MY BEANS?

Ooh - Bourbon!  Yes!  another reason to buy some liquor!   :o  I may try that next.
I think the vanilla beans are probably spent  :(.  Check ebay for some good prices too. 

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »
So, when you buy an alcohol vanilla base in the store, which are they using?  Vodka or bourbon?  Can you tell?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »
So, when you buy an alcohol vanilla base in the store, which are they using?  Vodka or bourbon?  Can you tell?
That's what I'm wondering. 100 proof vodka is 50% alcohol and the bought vanilla is usually labeled 35% alcohol... Please excuse my ignorance but exactly what is bourbon? Is it distilled? I sort of recall that is sweet, right?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance but exactly what is bourbon?

If I am not mistaken, it is the same as whisky, no?  That comes from corn.  Rum comes from sugarcane. And gin is from I think juniper berries?  Man, I don't even drink.  <hiccup> oh, excuse me.  :D

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 10:12:01 AM »
Have any of you tried scraping out the paste from the inside of the bean? It didn't occur to me until reading what you guys are saying that you weren't. Some people use this vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract in their baking/cooking/ice-cream. I put some in some homemade ice-cream and got the vanilla-bean taste and look (of course) which I love. When infusing, I cut my beans in half length wise, then scrape out the paste and add it to my base (alcohol, glycerine, oil, etc.), then I even cut the bean pod halves into one inch pieces and then add them to the base too. Then when you're done infusing, strain through either a wire mesh strainer, or a wire mesh strainer lined with a piece of cloth (if you don't like the little tiny specks... I do). I do think the type of alcohol used would make all the difference, though I haven't tried that yet.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2006, 10:26:27 AM »
Thanks dara, I am excited about this. I got my vanilla and I see some specks on the bottom of the jar. I've been shaking a little and just pouring of the top. Maybe I wasn't agitating it enough to get them in suspension. Actually if I take a bean half and squeeze it a lot of "pasty" stuff comes loose. :o So those little bean specks should be like adding straight chopped bean to my recipes. YAY!  My flavoring powers just multiplied. ;D Now what can I go bake ;)
Oh,  and when I cut mine it was dry inside. It has to soak first before you can scrape out the paste, right? Or do you mean scrape it out right away while it is still kind of dry?

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2006, 10:32:15 AM »
I scrape it out right away as soon as I cut it in half. Makes my fingers smell so yummy! (You can also use a spoon to scrape it out). I have gotten all my beans from the VanillaMan, so I'm not sure how dry you mean when you say 'dry'. My beans are dried vanilla beans (of course), but they are not crispy or anything. Very bendable and just a tad oily-ish.

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
I found the following when I googled homemade vanilla:

It doesn't matter which alcohol you choose for making extract - it's more a question of which alcohol you prefer. Vodka has the least flavor to interfere with the taste of the vanilla. Because rum is sweet, it's the best for making cordials, and vanilla brandy is lovely to pour over freshly baked cakes or to add to stewed winter fruits.

You can also add additional spices to the alcohol to make a spiced rum, vodka or brandy. In Reunion, Madagascar, and the Caribbean countries, most families have their own spiced rum blends that they serve for sipping. Sometimes medicinal herbs are added to the alcohol and used for coughs or stomach ailments

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2006, 10:40:43 AM »
Hmmm. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the Vodka then...   ?

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »
Hmmm. Maybe it has to do with the quality of the Vodka then...   ?
Sometimes medicinal herbs are added to the alcohol and used for coughs or stomach ailments

...or how 'bad' your cough is....*hee*hee*

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2006, 03:31:10 PM »
Bourbon is an American form of whiskey made from (pursuant to U.S. trade law) at least 51% corn, or maize — typically about 70% — with the remainder being wheat and/or rye, and malted barley. It is distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof, and aged in new charred oak barrels for at least two years — or perhaps longer. The two years maturation process is not a legal requirement for a whiskey to be called "bourbon," but it is a legal requirement for "straight bourbon." However, in practice, many bourbon whiskeys are aged for no less than four years.

I was thinking maybe Southern Comfort - it's sweeter, but hubby says it's has a cinnamon flavor, so maybe not.

Southern Comfort, sometimes referred to by the syllabic abbreviation "SoCo", is a fruit, spice, and whiskey flavored liqueur produced since 1874. It was founded by bartender M.W. Heron in a small bar in New Orleans, Louisiana. He moved to Memphis, Tennessee in 1889, patented his famous creation, and began selling it in sealed bottles with the slogan "None Genuine But Mine" and "Two per customer. No Gentleman would ask for more." Southern Comfort won the gold medal at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis, Missouri.

Southern Comfort is available as 100 proof, 70 proof, or 76 proof. It is often erroneously thought to be bourbon whiskey based—it is actually neutral grain spirits based [1]. Southern Comfort Reserve, however, is a blend of Southern Comfort and 6 year old Bourbon and is 40 percent alcohol.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2006, 02:00:26 PM »
I had my grandmother get me a fifth of 80 proof Vodka for my Vanilla making.  Well, I think she got the wrong size.  I am not quite sure how much a "fifth" is, but I have a feeling it isn't what I have.  I have 1 liter(33.8 oz).  Anyone know for sure?  It's okay, I won't tell anyone if you are an alcohol expert!  ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »
I had my grandmother get me a fifth of 80 proof Vodka for my Vanilla making.  Well, I think she got the wrong size.  I am not quite sure how much a "fifth" is, but I have a feeling it isn't what I have.  I have 1 liter(33.8 oz).  Anyone know for sure?  It's okay, I won't tell anyone if you are an alcohol expert!  ;D
A fifth is approximately 1/5 Gallon (0.1981) = 750 ml = 25.36 oz
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2006, 03:57:27 AM »
Okay, thanks HB.  I guess I will need to subract about a cups worth. 

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2006, 06:14:05 AM »
Have any of you tried scraping out the paste from the inside of the bean? It didn't occur to me until reading what you guys are saying that you weren't. Some people use this vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract in their baking/cooking/ice-cream. I put some in some homemade ice-cream and got the vanilla-bean taste and look (of course) which I love. When infusing, I cut my beans in half length wise, then scrape out the paste and add it to my base (alcohol, glycerine, oil, etc.), then I even cut the bean pod halves into one inch pieces and then add them to the base too. Then when you're done infusing, strain through either a wire mesh strainer, or a wire mesh strainer lined with a piece of cloth (if you don't like the little tiny specks... I do). I do think the type of alcohol used would make all the difference, though I haven't tried that yet.
This procedure has made all the difference in my vanilla! Thanks. It is now satisfactory even in baking, although I would like to try a glycerite ;) as well as some of the other alcohols.

YoopreMama

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2006, 06:00:16 PM »
I have a question about using the extract as you "steep" it... ;)  I'm too impatient!   :D

I have some beans in vodka in a bottle that have been there for a couple of months...it smells great, and I've been using it.  I've been wondering if there is a risk of mold growing on the bean as it gets exposed as the bottle is used. A friend had some grow on hers(due to something unrelated), but I wonder....Am I missing something?  I keep the bottle tipped for now, but ???   ???

TIA!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2006, 06:45:17 AM »
Ha ;) That makes two of us that are "overly-eager". I haven't had any problems w/ mold but I am using it almost everyday so the beans are regularly "rinsed over"  by the vodka. You could also cut the beans up into one inch pieces like dara suggested...

YoopreMama

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
Ha ;) That makes two of us that are "overly-eager". I haven't had any problems w/ mold but I am using it almost everyday so the beans are regularly "rinsed over"  by the vodka. You could also cut the beans up into one inch pieces like dara suggested...

Ahh..a woman after mine own heart...Do you read the last page of books, too?   ::) ;D

Good point about the "rinsing" theory...I have cut them in smaller pieces to avoid mold growth, too.  It just smells/tastes so good!  My family loves it in our homemade yogurt!     ;D

Offline jammy

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2006, 04:12:06 AM »
Okay, thanks HB.  I guess I will need to subract about a cups worth. 

I have no idea, but when my dh went to the liquor store for me, I asked for a double amount.  He came back with a big bottle, said the guy said it was 2/5ths which would be cheaper than just two 1/5th bottles, and it said 1.75 liter on it.  Also, it's about 7 cups.  LOL   ::)

Jenn
Jenn :D

Nickole

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2006, 05:56:05 AM »
I just wanted to post here that my first batch of vanilla made from Vanilla Man's beans brewed much quicker, four weeks and nice and dark (although I used like 8 beans I think) and then when I made another batch from beans I got off ebay, still organic, seemed fresh, the brew has taken much much longer.  Very disappointing.  I also used diff. vodka but should not have made a difference.  It's almost like I needed to use more beans from the ebay seller if I wanted to get better results.  SO some of my vanilla for Christmas presents STILL smells like vodka after about two months of brew so I am adding more beans and now that part of the gift will have to be late  :( >:(.

Sorry, Vanilla Man, for not coming to you again!  :'(  Live and learn.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
I just wanted to post here that my first batch of vanilla made from Vanilla Man's beans brewed much quicker, four weeks and nice and dark (although I used like 8 beans I think) and then when I made another batch from beans I got off ebay, still organic, seemed fresh, the brew has taken much much longer.  Very disappointing.  I also used diff. vodka but should not have made a difference.  It's almost like I needed to use more beans from the ebay seller if I wanted to get better results.  SO some of my vanilla for Christmas presents STILL smells like vodka after about two months of brew so I am adding more beans and now that part of the gift will have to be late  :( >:(.

Why not add a fancy tag saying use after a certain date? Sort of like a do not open till X-mass tag. Maybe that would be a solution. HTH~herbalmom

Nickole

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »

Why not add a fancy tag saying use after a certain date? Sort of like a do not open till X-mass tag. Maybe that would be a solution. HTH~herbalmom

Thanks herbalmom, but if it still smells like vodka now, I think I need to use more beans.  I'm not sure what the use-by date would be since it didn't seem to work the second time so I would rather fix it and send that part late.  There is one bean in each jar and I have alread sent the gifts to my mom states away to dole out to family.  I'm going to have her send the vanilla part back for me.  Oh well.   

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »
Sorry Nickole, I guess I missed the part about it still smelling like vodka. :( I should have paid more attention.  ::)~herbalmom
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:38:35 PM by herbalmom »

Nickole

« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2006, 10:36:15 AM »
Sorry Nickole, I guess I missed the part about it still smelling like vodka. :( I should have paid more attention.  ::)~herbalmom

Ha ha yeah family might think we're trying to get them hooked on something OTHER than a little flavoring for cookies and such.   :o

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2006, 02:01:54 PM »

Ha ha yeah family might think we're trying to get them hooked on something OTHER than a little flavoring for cookies and such.   :o

You mean your NOT trying to get them hooked on something OTHER than homemade vanilla? ;) ;) Are you sure about that? ;) :D

Nickole

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2006, 07:23:43 AM »

You mean your NOT trying to get them hooked on something OTHER than homemade vanilla? ;) ;) Are you sure about that? ;) :D

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2006, 12:08:04 PM »
My vanilla doesn't seem to be working! It has been "brewing" for close to a month and all I smell is bourbon! I sliced my beans lenghtwise to open them up and chopped them into inch or so pieces and put them into bourbon and all I smell still is bourbon. I just started a new one today in Vodka to see if that makes any difference. Does anyone have any ideas? Do I just need to wait longer? Like Nickole I was hoping to use them for presents but I think I'll just hold off on that  :D
LKS

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe it does have something to do with your use of the bourbon.  Seems like it has a different smell than Vodka. I think?  ;D

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2006, 03:16:22 PM »
My "storebought" vanilla is Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla. It smells sorta alcohol-y but not like the stuff I'm making--that will curl your nose hairs! I guess I will just wait it out.
LKS