Author Topic: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes  (Read 120409 times)

burlsgirl

Re: Dinner [Supper] Menus & Recipes
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
Man, I wish we were having calzones!!! I'm making dh's favorite for valentines day:  Fried deer tenderloin, homemade biscuits, mashed potatoes & gravy.  :P Not a chili or a tomato in sight! Ah well, reading this thread has just put calzones on next weeks menu!

Can we all come to your house for supper?  Deer tenderloins are a favorite here...they were gone from the freezer long ago.  (Actually, most didn't even make it into the freezer, we had to make them right away!)

Don't know what we're having for supper.  (But for some reason I have a strong craving for calzones! ;) :D)    It has to be something quick...it's a church night.  By the time DH gets home from work and cleaned up, it's time to head out the door.

I would LOVE for you guys to come eat!! Except remember, I'M the one who wants to come to ND!!! My dh would never come though...UNLESS he thought there was some good hunting in it for him!!  :D

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Man, I wish we were having calzones!!! I'm making dh's favorite for valentines day:  Fried deer tenderloin, homemade biscuits, mashed potatoes & gravy.  :P Not a chili or a tomato in sight! Ah well, reading this thread has just put calzones on next weeks menu!

Can we all come to your house for supper?  Deer tenderloins are a favorite here...they were gone from the freezer long ago.  (Actually, most didn't even make it into the freezer, we had to make them right away!)

Don't know what we're having for supper.  (But for some reason I have a strong craving for calzones! ;) :D)    It has to be something quick...it's a church night.  By the time DH gets home from work and cleaned up, it's time to head out the door.

I would LOVE for you guys to come eat!! Except remember, I'M the one who wants to come to ND!!! My dh would never come though...UNLESS he thought there was some good hunting in it for him!!  :D

I guess you'll have to make a trip to ND in November then.  DH would LOVE to have another man to hunt with! :D  It's usually all his women and our ds.  (He also LOVES to make the new guy walk cattails to kick up the deer! :D)
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline ah_young

• Learning
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
So you do two big ones, rather than individual, personal sized ones?  For some reason I picutred everyone having their own, like a hand pie.

With 8 of us, it could get LONG making them!
[/quote/]

Yes, I make 2 big calzones. My husband and I share one, then he takes the other one to work or we eat it for dinner again the next night. :)  I personally wouldn't want to take the time to make 8 calzones......

Offline girly

• Adept
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:46 AM »
Pizza Pasta Casserole...

Admittedly this isn't the healthiest fare but for something easy it was a hit.  And, it freezes very well!  My troops are pizza junkies but sometimes I don't have time to make dough so we don't eat much pizza.  A few weeks ago my girlfriend recommended this recipe.  I forgot about it but saw it in the freezer today, thawed it and it was very well received.  This is one of those things that is just as easy to make 1 as it is to make 4 of them. 

1 lb. cooked pasta - I choose rotini
Spaghetti Sauce
Pizza toppings
Mozzarella/Parmesan Cheese

Assemble in a 9x13 and bake at 375 until bubbly.

To Freeze:
I froze my pasta on a cookie sheet and my sauce in blobs (no ice cube trays handy).

In a big freezer baggie fill with frozen pasta, frozen sauce, all toppings and cheese.  If you have disposable baking dishes you can freeze it in those as well.  I choose to freeze mine wrapped in foil in a baking dish - the next day I put it in a baggie so the shape was set.  Let thaw and bake 375 until bubbly.  My kids LOVED this lunch today and I was hands free

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
Okay gals, I thought I would put Tuna casserole or Tuna Noodle Casserole or something of the like on next weeks menu.  (Tuna is a ceap meat)  Help.  I couldn't find a recipe on here for it.  I will look on some other sites later but don't have time right now Thought you gals would have some good ideas.  Thanks
Jen

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,16002.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »
I have a universal casserole recipe. It is fun to just put together whatever you have on hand. I'll give suggestions but there are other things to use also. I don't always measure either, just use what I need until I have enough for our family. My mom used to cook this way.

1 cup of main ingredient (tuna, chicken, turkey, ham,seafood.)
1 cup second ingredient(celery, mushrooms, peas, boiled eggs, mix veges)
1-2 cups starchy ingredient (potatoes, noodles, pasta, rice)
1 1/2 cup binder (white sauce, sour cream, cream soups)
1/4 cup goodie-optional(pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts)
Add any seasoning you might think would be good or leave as is
Topping (potato chip crumbs, bread crumbs mixed with melted butter, cheese)

Mix together. If it seems a little dry, add some milk. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min.

Serve with a salad and bread and you have a great meal.

I like to keep frozen peas, and mixed vegetables on hand so that I can put together a chicken pot pie or a casserole quickly. It helps on those busy days.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:04:05 PM by brightspot »

Offline gr8topraise

• Learning
« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2008, 03:34:57 PM »
Chicken, Broccoli, and Herbs

2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 head Broccoli, steamed
2 cloves Garlic(crushed)
2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Oregano
1 Tbsp. Basil
1 tsp. Salt
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/2 c. Shredded Cheese(optional)

In family-sized skillet drizzled with oil, add garlic and cook until brown.  Add chicken, and broccoli; heat through.  Combine with remaining oil and seasonings.  Add cheese if desired. 
Make the most of every moment. :D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2008, 09:53:55 AM »
Here's my ingredients available for tonight - HELP!

4 large chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
carrots
garlic, onions, spices, herbs
salad greens
brown rice
eggs
whole wheat flour
milk
sour cream
salsa
chips

NO cheese, veggies (other than above), potatoes.

Any brilliant suggestions?

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
my only thought was to Bake chicken breats with garlic and onion and whatever spices you want.  Serve on top of brown rice with Salad on the side. 
Hope you have a good dinner
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline Daniel's Cousin

• Adept
« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
 Or you could make chicken soup and serve it over rice, with a salad and sour cream biscuits...
And all thy children shall be taught of the LORD; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #250 on: March 14, 2008, 10:16:27 AM »
Stir fry & fried rice?

Fry chicken with onion/garlic/spices and serve over rice on top of salad greens. Serve with salsa & sr. cream.  Call it "South-of-the-Border Salad"

Fry chicken strips in egg & flour.  Serve with chips and salad/carrots.

Save the bones/skin and boil them for broth later!

1-800-PizzaHut?
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
You funny SarahK!  But we did that last night!

Good ideas, folks.  I'm leaning toward the stir fry-fried rice deal!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #252 on: March 14, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
Here ya go, CC.  If you've got flour, then this might be an option for chicken tacos!

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,848.msg162685/topicseen.html#new
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #253 on: March 14, 2008, 11:18:47 AM »
Stir fry & fried rice?

Fry chicken with onion/garlic/spices and serve over rice on top of salad greens. Serve with salsa & sr. cream.  Call it "South-of-the-Border Salad"

Fry chicken strips in egg & flour.  Serve with chips and salad/carrots.

Save the bones/skin and boil them for broth later!

1-800-PizzaHut?
Use peanut oil and soy sauce on the chicken and it will taste Chinese.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #254 on: March 14, 2008, 11:32:46 AM »
That Navajo fry bread looks great.  I have no cheese so I think Mexican/taco type stuff is out.  But I do want to make that soon.

We are attempting Chapati bread from India tomorrow.  Sounds pretty harmless, anyway.  I love that every culture has it's own flat bread.

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #255 on: April 15, 2008, 05:06:10 AM »
 Anyone have a good cabbage and sausage recipe without potatoes?

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #256 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:20 AM »
Anyone have a good cabbage and sausage recipe without potatoes?

I made this a couple of weeks ago from a recipe I copied from here and the family liked it really well.   I think this would be tasty with sausage on the side.

Polish peasant noodles

Large package wide noodles, cooked and drained

1 lg. onion, large dice
1/2 c. (1 cube) butter
1 Tbls. (more or less) caraway seeds

1 med.-lg. head cabbage, large 1in. dice
1 c. sour cream (or more like we do it)
salt and pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, saute onion and caraway in butter until onion is translucent (while you cook the noodles). Add cabbage to onion mixture and mix well, continue to cook over med. heat until cabbage is crisp/tender. (may be covered while cooking)

Add hot noodles and sour cream and mix well. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2008, 07:30:35 AM »
Hot & Sour Pork Chops 
by the Spaminator & healthybratt (it was a team effort ;D)

2-3 lbs loin chops (about 5 or 6 chops)
2-3 T peanut oil
4-5 cloves fresh minced garlic

For Sauce:
(I think I doubled this, but now I can't remember)   ;D
1 cup kombucha
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp ground red pepper (not cayenne)
1 tsp ground black pepper
3 scant T cornstarch
1/2 cup water

1) Combine kombucha, sugar, soy sauce & pepper(s).  Set aside.

2) In large skillet heat oil over med-high until oil begins to smoke.  Add minced garlic.  As garlic begins to brown, add chops on top.  Sear (brown) chops for 1-2 minutes each side.

3)  Pour 1-2 cups of sauce over chops and reduce heat to strong simmer.  Allow chops to cook for about 10 minutes each side. 

4)  Remove chops from pan.  Add remainder of sauce.  Mix cornstarch and water in a shaker or glass jar and add to sauce.  Heat on low and stir until thickened.  If sauce is too thick add more water and/or kombucha to desired consistency.  Pour over chops (or put chops back into the pan). 

5)  Serve over rice.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:00:03 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2008, 07:05:31 AM »
It's one of those weeks where I'm scrimping and making meals out of what's left in the cabinet.   ;D  Definitely off to the store tomorrow.  :D

...but in the meantime, I came up with this new success.

1 lb of Italian Sausage, browned and drained
1 can of peas drained
8 oz dried pasta (I used FarFalle/Bowties  :D )
1 stick of butter
4 T flour
1/4 cup Parmesan
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 T Italian seasoning
3 cups of water (milk might have been better but didn't have any)

Brown the meat, drain and set aside.  Cook the pasta according to preference and box directions, rinse, drain and set aside.  In large skillet or soup pot, melt butter and add flour, seasonings and cheese.  Mush together with a fork to form a smooth roux.  Allow this to brown slightly and begin to bubble, scraping the bottom of the pan with the fork to keep it smooth.  Add water.  Continue to stir into roux until it begins to thicken.  Add meat, noodles and peas to the mix and allow to warm and mix thoroughly.  Enjoy...we did.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jall29

• Learning
« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2008, 08:21:09 AM »
I have a universal casserole recipe. It is fun to just put together whatever you have on hand. I'll give suggestions but there are other things to use also. I don't always measure either, just use what I need until I have enough for our family. My mom used to cook this way.

1 cup of main ingredient (tuna, chicken, turkey, ham,seafood.)
1 cup second ingredient(celery, mushrooms, peas, boiled eggs, mix veges)
1-2 cups starchy ingredient (potatoes, noodles, pasta, rice)
1 1/2 cup binder (white sauce, sour cream, cream soups)
1/4 cup goodie-optional(pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts)
Add any seasoning you might think would be good or leave as is
Topping (potato chip crumbs, bread crumbs mixed with melted butter, cheese)

Mix together. If it seems a little dry, add some milk. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min.

Serve with a salad and bread and you have a great meal.

I like to keep frozen peas, and mixed vegetables on hand so that I can put together a chicken pot pie or a casserole quickly. It helps on those busy days.

I am trying this tonight after seeing the recipe on 7xSunday.  I am really excited about it.  I'm trying to be more time wise so I'm prepping for it now while the kids are napping!   :)  This looks like a recipe I will use often.  WTM is changing my life!   :o  In a good way..... 8)

Jennifer

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2008, 07:30:14 PM »
so I just tried this the other night and thought it was pretty yummy (dh and kiddos liked it too) and didn't feel too bad about anything in it. I took chicken tenders and dipped them in coconut oil mixed w/ lemon juice and fresh garlic crushed, than in a mixture of WW Pastry Flour, salt, garlic powder (whatever spices you want), fresh rosemary from the garden chopped up and threw fried them up (in a cast iron pan for extra iron :)) in coconut oil till browned than cooked for a little bit to make sure they were cooked through and YUMMY! You did have to be careful cause the cold chicken breast made the coconut oil mixture harden after a bit and I don't have a micro so I had to heat it up in my toaster oven to melt it again...but besides that it wasn't too bad! Just had to share! Than tonight I sliced the rest of the leftovers up into my salad! YUMMY too~! :)

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #261 on: July 24, 2008, 04:41:56 PM »
I modified a Meat loaf recipe tonight and it was sooo good!  I will call it

SWEET AND SOUR GLAZED MEAT LOAF (with sauerkraut)

1.5 lbs ground beef
3/4 c. oats
2 eggs
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup sauerkraut (I used a small can) (this was a last minute substitute for
                                                      1 cup tomato juice)
a couple of big squirts of ketchup

sauce:
1/4 c. ketchup
1 T. brown sugar
2T. prepared mustard

Mix all but the sauce ingredients and put in a 9X5 loaf pan.  Mix sauce ingredients and spread over top.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes.
I just love meatloaf!  :D
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

YoopreMama

« Reply #262 on: November 11, 2008, 03:29:10 AM »
We loved these growing up...would need a bit of modifying to make them "healthier" (and for us, GF):

Stuffed Steaks
6 -9 breakfast steaks (sandwich steaks)
1 box chicken flavored stuffing ::)
1 can beef consomme soup

Prepare stuffing.  Fill center of each steak w/ stuffing and roll.  Secure w/ toothpick.  Place in slow cooker and pour soups over them.  Cook until done on low heat.

To make gravy:  Remove soup mixture to pot and add enough water to make at least 1 3/4 c. liquid.  Cook over medium until hot.  In a small bowl mix 2 T. cornstarch and 1/4 c. COLD water 'til smooth.  Stir into soup mixture, season to taste, if necessary.  Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat; boil 1 minute.  Makes 2 c. 

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
Anybody have a TRIED & TRUE recipe for veggie lasagna? I guess I'm looking for one with a white sauce, but I'll take anything at this point. Thanks  ;D
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2009, 10:07:48 AM »
Anybody have a TRIED & TRUE recipe for veggie lasagna? I guess I'm looking for one with a white sauce, but I'll take anything at this point. Thanks  ;D

I don't use a point-by-point recipe, but I DO make veggie lasagna and have a couple of variations. 

Both begin with cooked lasagna noodles and a basic white sauce.   Then I layer sauce, noodles, veggies, noodles, cheeses, sauce, and so on until pan is nearly full.  I like to leave about a half inch or more 'bubbling space' in my lasagna.  Cover loosely with foil and cook at 350* until it's bubbling and hot through.  Remove foil, cover with grated mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted. 

BASIC WHITE SAUCE:

6 Tbs. butter
     4 - 6 Tbs. flour
     2 + cups milk
      salt and pepper
*  *  *  *  *   melt butter and stir in flour.  let this bubble for a minute, slowly add milk while stirring until thickened.  Salt and pepper to taste. 

Variations for lasagna;

*  Use ricotta cheese, grated parmesan cheese, and provolone cheese in the layers. 

*  Use only the white sauce with a good bit of grated parmesan added to it and mozzarella on top

*   Use pre-cooked veggies.  We like a blend of broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, peppers, carrots, etc.  OR sometimes I use only spinach, steamed and squeezed dry. 

*   Try adding a touch of nutmeg to the sauce for spinach lasagna

*  be generous with the amount of sauce.  Dry lasagna just isn't good, imo.

hope that helps!  Sorry that I'm not a 'recipe' type. 

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »
Perfect! Thanks, ladyhen. You're welcome in my kitchen anytime cuz it sounds like you cook like I do--THROW & GO!!!

Hubby says I only use a recipe so I know what to call it--I almost NEVER follow them...... ::)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »
Perfect! Thanks, ladyhen. You're welcome in my kitchen anytime cuz it sounds like you cook like I do--THROW & GO!!!

Hubby says I only use a recipe so I know what to call it--I almost NEVER follow them...... ::)

De nada!   And thanks for the invite - - I'll bring the dessert.   ;)

Some of our meals just end up being named by my youngest, the one who has a future as a food critic!  Last night's supper of large venison meatballs baked in a mushroom cream sauce was dubbed by him as "Big mushroom-looking-things in a scummy pond".  Appetizing, no? 

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #267 on: February 20, 2009, 04:54:14 AM »
I'm doing a slow cooker Western Omelet.

Layer:
1 lb bag frozen shredded hashbrowns
cubed ham
browned breakfast sausage
cheese
bell pepper, chopped
onion, chopped
diced tomato w/ green chile

Beat 6 eggs with 1/2 C milk and pour over layers.

Cook on high for an hour then turn down and cook 6-7 hours.

I sauteed my onion and bell pepper in some olive oil before I put it in the crock pot...I want them as cooked as possible. I also sprayed my crock pot with some Pam. 

We will use this as a burrito filling.  Top with some sour cream, salsa, and more cheese, of course!!!  Enjoy!!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010