Author Topic: My Son Has Digestive Problems - Help  (Read 4272 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
My Son Has Digestive Problems - Help
« on: May 07, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
I am looking for opinions on M****tech. This is a specially formulated supplement that uses glyconutrients. I have read their literature, and been approached by more than a couple of people about using the product. I will say that everyone I have met that distributes the product is a fine person.

My reservations are mostly financial. I know that they have a special fund for those in need. However, it seems that there is a lot of paperwork involved for people to form a fundraiser and promote the product. The cost is prohibitive and the marketing seems to be a little suspect.

Here are the things I am considering in a nutshell. My youngest has Down syndrome along with some digestive issues. Something is irritating his gut, and we have put him on a very bland diet in hopes of letting things get balanced. However, we continue to deal with loose b.m.s. All fresh produce is organic, as well as the brown rice. He has never had sugar, bread or processed foods. I make my own condiments. He is gluten and casein free. None of the local Dr's have any ideas. I've already researched past their expertise.

When you have a child with special needs, everything is just more expensive. What money we save by never eating out and cooking from scratch is eaten up by our purchases at the health food store. We simply cannot afford to gamble hundreds of dollars on a single month's supply of a nutrient supplement.

Also, we are targets for everyone that thinks he or she has "just the thing" that our son needs. There are entire industries that have grown up around relieving parents of special needs children of their money under the guise of offering hope. I am wary of these predators.

I am also wary of any product that claims it has something that is better than what can be found in nature. That claim reminds me of a plastic surgeon's advertisement.

God has blessed us with this child for His purposes. I wouldn't want to waste any of the resources He has given. God knows our limitations, and I am thankful for His supply. At the same time, I wouldn't want to ignore this opportunity if it is from Him.

So, if any of you have used the products, I would like to hear from you. I would also like to know if you thought the results were worth the investment.

ADMIN NOTE:  **** has been used to replace the letters in the name of this company, due to threats of legal action for misrepresentation of their products.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:18:38 AM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: My Son Has Down Syndrome and Digestive Problems - Help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
I haven't used them, but I second your vote that I am leery on things that are patented and "only available through us".....  I also would like to believe that most all our vitamins, minerals, sugars, etc requirements should be able to be met through a healthful diet.  Seems very "off" to me that think God created us to need a "patented formula" or some other "can't grow it at home". 

It is a big project to all of a sudden decide to grow herbs, make cheese, soaps.... all myself at the get go, so I buy stuff while I decide if I should do it myself.  The people I like to buy from are people who are willing to share their knowledge in how to be self sufficient.     

Here I quote Rebekah on her post in the Beeyoutiful formula thread

Our final "requirement" is that, if at all possible, we want the customer to be able to use or make the "real thing." Like making yogurt or kefir, instead of buying Tummy Tune-Up, or eating straight Spirulina while changing your diet to meet your vit requirements, eating fresh garlic instead of taking the capsule, and harvesting your own rosehips and bee pollen.

We want to educate our customers to the point where eventually, they won't need us anymore, so if society breaks (somehow, someday) our customer base will be able to care for their families successfully, and naturally without supplements, doctors, or Beeyoutiful.com. WellTellMe.com is part of that "education." And we are learning as well - thanks to you.

So, there's my two cents. 
Speaking of cents....I am also leery about products that aren't 2 cents!!   ;)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:18:18 AM by healthybratt »

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 04:33:11 PM »
Oh, another thing I just thought of.  My friend also has a Downs child and she had her eating a bunch of digestive enzymes.  If that is something you are interesting in knowing more about, I'll be glad to ask her. 
Danna :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:53:09 AM »
I thought I would mention that in the Glyconutrient thread, Gabe lists some further research links/books for reading more about Glyconutrients. I just got the book "Sugars that Heal" from the library, and will be perusing it, as my son, while not having Downs, has digestive probems that sound the same. He is GFCF too. I'll keep you posted on what I read, and you keep us posted- this is of great interest to me too- especially if I can find foods with glyconutrients that we can add to our diet. We can't afford the supplements either. We do like digestive enzymes like Mishy suggested, though. My boy's BMs are still a little loose, but they always have been, and I am not sure if he won't have to outgrow it to some extent. My 5 year old was that way, but since turning 5, he has really improved.

Here's a GFCF recipe I invented this morning (just for interest):

GFCF Granola:
1 c. rolled soy flakes
1 c. rolled quinoa flakes
1 1/2 c. rice crispies (I use brown rice crisps from the co-op)
1/3 c. nuts (I like pecans)

1/4 c. oil (I will be switching from safflower to coconut)
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. rice, or other "milk"

Warm wet ingredients in a saucepan and stir until mixed together. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Bake in a 9x13 at 300 degrees for 3, 10 min. segments (stiring after every 10 min.), or until golden brown. Dried or fresh fruit can be added when ready to eat.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 02:56:57 AM by dara »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 12:36:59 PM »
I keep on thinking about this!  :)  What kind of digestive issues are you having?  my 4 yr old some was almost daily complaining about his belly hurting.  I have been reading Nourishing Traditions and it has some excellent information there on food preparation and how to get the most out of your foods by proper preparation.  This made all the difference with him. 
1.  Grains:  all need to be soaked before you use them.  They have phytates and enzyme inhibitors until you soak em. 
2.  Legumes:  ditto.  If you use soy, I would quit using them until you read The Whole Soy Story (I got mine through bulkherbstore) then make a choice if you want them in your diet or not. 
3.  Pay attention to what has digestive enzymes in it.  I am just getting a beginners knowledge of this.  Either a salad, a soup with gelatin, or lacto fermented veggies before/during your meal will greatly aid in digestion. 

After doing the above, he has not complained of his belly hurting again!  Yay!!! 

On a link Gabe provided, there is list for homemade glyconutrients.  After reading Nourishing Traditions, these foods do fall right in line with the diet recommended by Noursh Trad. 
Fenugreek seed
Shiitake mushrooms
Kelp (my kids eat a sheet of seaweed every day.  We live near Asia, and this is a very very common kid snack.)
Whey protein isolate (I would just use whey- I don't know exaclty what "protein isolate" is, but my mentality is just use the whole thing!)  :D   How to make whey is in Nourish Trad.  I can post it if you are interested, it is easy.
Tumeric powder

That is the easy list, now a couple more that I am not as eager to ingest....
Bovine cartilage (it says powder, but you can do it inexpensively and just chew away at the cartilage on your food bones....  Yuck, maybe I should just get the powder..... :D )
Psyllium Husk Powder - I have not idea what this is, haven't researced it yet
Lecithin Granules
Lecithin powder-  Fot these two, there are common foods that are a good source of this.....  I'll have to go back through and read which they are.  (I am thinking maybe butter?)

Does your son eat butter??  In the listings of what has what in it, butter almost always comes up.  So much that I have been slapping it on THICK when I feed my kids something with butter (before it was thin cuz it is so $$)  If you can get raw milk and make your own butter, you will then have the x factor and another VERY beneficial something that pasteurization kills. 

OK I feel really lame with not knowing the names of my "beneficial somethings"....  LOL 

Hope some of this helps....

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:56:38 PM »
Just another thought - I found the most helpful diagnostic tool with my son who suffered digestive problems from birth was a food allergy panel.  It is a simple blood test which provides lots of info and takes you out of the guessing game.  Our naturopath ordered my son's and I believe any doctor can (ama or otherwise).

I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 02:52:22 AM »
My youngest has Down syndrome along with some digestive issues. Something is irritating his gut, and we have put him on a very bland diet in hopes of letting things get balanced. However, we continue to deal with loose b.m.s. All fresh produce is organic, as well as the brown rice. He has never had sugar, bread or processed foods. I make my own condiments. He is gluten and casein free. None of the local Dr's have any ideas. I've already researched past their expertise.

I thought I'd post an update on my little guy.

Someone blessed us with a Kombucha mushroom. I've been growing mushrooms for about 3 or 4 months now. Within a few days of drinking Kombucha Tea, our little guy had big boy poops. After 3 years of laundry and everything associated with liquid stools, this has been wonderful! Potty training is now possible.

I only wish I had invested in a mushroom years ago. It seems to have established some good enzymes in his digestive tract that all of the probiotics and supplements I was giving him didn't. A $50 mushroom that replenishes itself sure is a LOT cheaper than $80 to $100 per month in "specially formulated" supplements.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
Thats wonderful news.  Amazing how excited we can get over things that some people take for granted like "pooping"  huh ?  ;D

I wonder if this treatment would help with diarrhea associated with illness ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 10:16:56 AM »
I wonder if this treatment would help with diarrhea associated with illness ???

HB, my take on it is that Kombucha helps to both balance and build the system. The glucuronic acid in it helps the liver neutralize toxins in the body -- the acetic and lactic acids help with this, also. This sets the stage for the enzymes present in the tea to help populate the colon so that it can function more efficiently. In people with constipation, this would get things going. In my son's case, it slowed things down.

Regarding illness, if it were caused by an overload of toxins, or if the individual had an imbalance of good vs. bad flora in the gut, I would say yes. At the least, it would help support the system until the cause could be addressed. Of course, it goes without saying that exposure to toxins in one's diet and/or environment should be investigated.