Author Topic: HB's favorite vinegar rinse  (Read 6776 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
HB's favorite vinegar rinse
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »
I've been using an infusion of apple cider vinegar with lavender, peppermint and chamomile.  I created this infusion to use on my hair and scalp, but I started using it all over...

I started with a small jar and infused:

1/3 cup chamomile
1/3 cup lavender
1/3 cup peppermint
2 to 2 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar (I use Great Value brand)

Steep for 2-3 weeks in dark place, turn or shake occaissionally and strain herbs out.  This doesn't spoil (as far as I can tell), so I store it in an old shampoo bottle in the bathroom.  This infusion seemed a bit strong, so I actually added 2-3 more cups of vinegar to the infusion after I strained it, but you can leave it this strong if you prefer the extra effects of the herbs.  Then I take another empty shampoo bottle and mark it with 1-3 Tablespoon marks.  Fill the empty marked bottle to the line of preference (I usually use 3 but I have very long hair) and then fill the rest of the bottle with warm water (about 3 cups).

After much experimentation and research, I've found the qualities in these herbs are very beneficial for many things on your hair, skin and scalp, so I use it all over, especially on my head, body hair and under my arms.  This deoderizes, regulates pH, and it promotes hair growth and is also antimicrobial as well as aromatheraputic (even though the vinegar isn't pleasant smelling, the other herbs can still do their thing through absorbtion and inhalation).

I've also used this as a douch using equal parts vinegar rinse and water during yeast infections and had very good results.  I did however use this in conjunction with other treatments, so I'm not sure if this would kill the yeast alone, but it definately helps with the irritation and itching.

For a quick fix you can make a tea on the stove.  Boil 2-3 cups of water, turn off water and add 2 T cider vinegar and 1/3 tsp each of chamomile, lavender and peppermint.  Cover and allow to steep for 15-30 minutes. 

This recipe is good if you're out of infusion or if you're in a hurry, but I recommend the time infusion as it's much stronger so you have less waste with your expensive herbs.

NOTE:  Purified, distilled or rain water is going to work better because it's softer, BUT I always use tap water.  The vinegar rinse works well enough, that I find the hardness of my water is no longer a factor.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 04:37:21 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
Re: HB's favorite vinegar rinse
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 08:22:26 AM »
Would Rosemary or GSE ensure longevity?
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 08:35:50 AM »
Sherri

I'm not all that familiar with GSE.  This is more up Beka's alley, but I've not had any trouble with storing it out of the fridge.  The original tincture is in the jar for 3 weeks and then I double the vinegar and it sets out until I use it all up.  I think the vinegar is preservative enough.  I do store it in a dark place in the pantry and shower to ensure no loss of essential oils from the herbs.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 08:54:22 AM »
could you use something like gellitan to make it into a gel so it's easier for children, more like shampoo?
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:06:36 AM »
could you use something like gellitan to make it into a gel so it's easier for children, more like shampoo?

It's designed to condition and help rinse bar soap from the hair that's left behind when you rinse with hard water.  There is another thread on the reasons I use this and how. 

It's called "Your Shampoo Might Be Your Problem:  Going "No Poo"

As far as adding gelatin, I don't know.  I wash my kids and my hair with Ivory and then rinse with water.  Then I rinse theirs and my hair with the vinegar rinse and leave it in without a 2nd rinse.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:44:38 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »
HB, I 'm sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant shampoo I understand now that you meant as a conditioner of sorts.
Sherri
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 10:33:15 AM »
HB, I 'm sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant shampoo I understand now that you meant as a conditioner of sorts.
Sherri

No apologies,necessary, REALLY.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 01:39:51 PM »
Does anyone know of an herb I could add to my acv rinse that would bring out red highlights?
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 08:44:22 AM »
Sherri

I am not familiary with GSE either, but I know if you have dark hair, the rosemary would be a could substitue for chamomile (which is good for light hair)
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
We've been using this for about 3 or 4 weeks now and most of my family LOVES it!

I added: 1/3 C sage, 1/3 C comfrey, and about 1/8 C rosemary.

Here is what I have noticed so far, using it only twice a week.

1. My hair dries within an hour, which is MUCH faster.
2. I get a whole extra day, sometimes two before I need to wash my hair. (before I HAD to wash it every other day)
3. BO (underarms and down "there") almost nil, even after 3 days without showering.  :o Before it was quite bad even when I was not hot or sweating.
4. I have stopped losing as much hair. I was losing about 100 a day. I am now estimating that I am losing about 50.
5. My skin stays nice and moist even in this deep cold desert, except for areas I wash often, such as my hands.
6. My athletes foot that I have had for 4 years is greatly reduced.
7. My Dh's dandruff is greatly reduced.

The only negative thing I have noticed is that my split ends stick out more, and the ends of my hair appear to be drier than before.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »
The only negative thing I have noticed is that my split ends stick out more, and the ends of my hair appear to be drier than before.

I've had the same positive results!  I seem to have less split ends, however.  Don't know why, but then my hair has been in a rapid growth phase and I am trimming the ends more often; 3 times a year rather than once or twice. 
Are you washing ALL of your hair or just your scalp?  I am getting great results with much fewer tangles from using only a tiny amount of soap on only my scalp.

hth~
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
I can see that the condition of my hair is improving. I haven't had my hair trimmed for about 8 weeks so I should have it done soon. I wash only my scalp with shampoo. Today I experimented with just washing it once with Shampoo, since my hair is staying clean longer. Before it always took two shampoos to get my hair clean. It is clean now, before it wouldn't have been with only one shampoo and conditioning.

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
I am trying this , next payday going to order the herbs , going to look into growing them also!   Awesome! I love remedies that save on a 1 income budget!  ;)

Offline Redheadedmama

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
I infused lavender with apple vinegar today . I gotta get the other herbs next payday.
It's under my bathroom cabinet. Can't wait to strain it and use it in the shower!
I ditched my shampoo today ,  I mixed a little bit with the white vinegar for my laundry and it smells so good! I don't like to waste nothing like that
so I use it around the house.  8)