Author Topic: Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction  (Read 186735 times)

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:36 AM »
I did not get an answer as to wether or not benadryl would slow my fight with candida so I went ahead and took 2 last night and 2 this am but am not noticing any lessening of my symptoms. My wondering is if this would confirm that it is die off rather than some allergic reaction?  ??? It seems like if this was a reaction to something in my environment then the banadryl would help at least a little. Am I totally off base here?
 I spot treated my eczema with diluted sea salt last night and this am and took a bath this am as well. I still am not noticing any changes in the eczema. :( 
 I don't want to be a total nag or anything  :-[ but I really want to find some relief and the vast majority of people I know recommend going to the Dr and getting a cortisone shot or something. I REALLY don't want to go this route but am not sure what more I can do. Thanks ladies!

B

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2007, 11:20:23 AM »
Have you read the thread on ezcema?  Also, while I was praying for you this morning, the thought about SLS came to mind.  What kind of products to you use on your skin and hair?  ??? I am uncertain about the Benadryl.  Sorry can't be any help there.  :-\  Hang in there girl!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »
Still thinking of you, beppyjo.
Don't be too discouraged even if this takes awhile. I had die off more or less for months. It would subside only to increase again as I added in other cleanses or changes. I had lots of hives  :P :-X  and some of the" yeasty type"  rashes. Despite it being a very hard time it really was worth it. I feel so much better overall, and lost other small seemingly inconsequential health issues. Even if you have to back off on the regime and take it more slowly don't give up entirely.  :) I think dieoff was long and hard because I had a very deep rooted fungal problem in my body. It wasn't just a simple vaginal yeast or basic candida overgrowth. If this is also true for you the end result will be worth ALL the pain and discomfort now.  :-*

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement boysmama and crystal! I appreciate you sharing your story boysmama as I am pretty sure that mine is deep rooted as well and to know that you think it worth the pain even though your die off lasted so long gives me hope! How long and how strictly did you do the candida diet? I am trying to do low carb, no yeast, no sugar but am really struggling to know what to make. I am also trying to go GF for my 3 yo and still follow NT ideas as well. I sort of feel like there isn't a way to do it all at once when I have so little energy, and the expense...... :o  I keep wandering around my kitchen wondering what to make and if this or that idea covers all of my bases or not. It seems everything has some sugar in it or dairy or etc..... that we aren't supposed to have. I need a chef!  ;D Anyways, thanks again!

B

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »
How long and how strictly did you do the candida diet?
I was doing this when all the lovely info here on WTM was being gathered  :), so much of my info came from other sources. For instance I didn't know about the no-yeast aspect at first. We had already been low sugar, no processed flours, few deserts as a lifestyle change. Also at that time we could afford very few supplements. Threelac was one that I used for a short time. I was nursing so did not do YA or other herbs at the beginning.
Specific to trying to fight candida overgrowth I would go no sugar, no honey, no bread, pasta, or potatoes for several weeks at a time. Boy that would trigger detox like I could hardly believe.  I ate eggs for breakfast, and rice -meat-veggies for lunch, supper was not so routine but lots of vegtables, homegrown or wild meat. I did use our own raw goat dairy and occasionally some oatmeal and wholegrains. I think the homemade, aged kefir did me lots of good. Not sure if I can remember all the details  :-\ :-[
For me totally getting rid of all symptoms was a combination of changes and many "layers" of cleansing - digestive tract cleansing, liver cleansing, amalgam removals, mineral supplementation, avoiding all antibiotics and drugs, going to more organic and hormone free meat, dairy and eggs...it was not the simple 2 or 3 weeks of dietary restriction. But each thing seemed to make a difference. After amalgam removals I did the MC and that seemed to be the last of it.
I was reminded by your deliberation between die off or allergic reaction that the two, though not identical, are similar. Toxins are being released through your skin. Your body is reacting. Keep drinking lots of water and doing epsom salt or sea salt baths. Things that will keep drawing out the toxins.
If I were doing this over I would think about adding some charcoal or betonite clay to my routine for a week or two and also some blood puriying tinctures like dandelion.
Many blessings to you. Got to run and won't be around for a week or so but know that you are in my prayers and thoughts constantly!

Edit: Well we are at home for an extra two days  ;D so here I am...DH reminded me that I did NOT eat rice w/ the meat and veggies at lunch for several weeks at the beginning of trying to cleanse.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:26:39 AM by boysmama »

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2007, 01:17:01 PM »
Have you read the thread on ezcema?  Also, while I was praying for you this morning, the thought about SLS came to mind.  What kind of products to you use on your skin and hair?  ??? !

I have read most of the thread on eczema and have gone through soaps and stuff today to check for SLS. I am going 'no poo' and the shampoo that we do have is SLS free I don't generally use soap as it dries out my skin too much but will use the SLS free shampoo for my pits and such if I feel smelly. :-[  The only thing in the house that I found that might have it is my laundry detergent. It is a natural brand but contains Sodium Sulfate. Is that the pretty much the same as SLS? ???   
Anyhow, those are my findings! I tried h2o2 in my bath this am and think that it helped so I am going to start alternating between salt and peroxide and see if I can get this stuff cleared up. I think that I am going to scale back my candida efforts just a wee bit too. Baby has been a bit grumpier since I added garlic to my supplements so I am going to drop that one back out.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2007, 06:24:09 AM »
Edit in my last post!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2007, 08:56:42 AM »
How are you today, Beci?  What are you continuing to do in your cleanse?  Just curious.

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
Hi!  Well, I have dropped the garlic but am pretty much maintaining everything else. At least that is the plan. The las t2 days we have been at my folks over for a lot of the day (so we could enjoy this amazing weather!) and so I have missed the noon probiotics. I can't tell that my rash has really changed much......... My armpits continue to improve but the rest of me stays about the same. Certain times of day it looks more pink than red but it always flares right back up. The sun kind of seems to make it worse.  ??? The rashy areas are so dry that sometimes they crack. I just don't know what to put on to prevent that though. My face is the worst, looks lik it is just going to peel  off! Mom and I were discussing though that the worst areas are wear I sweat, e.g. armpits, T-zone, inside of elbows, back of knees. Of course my neck and chest are real bad too. The itching isn't as bad though which is a big plus. I just wish it wasn't on my face! I could deal with the rest much easier. Tomorrow we have play group and I really don't want to go and face everyone looking like this. Maybe this is just a way for me to learn to get over my selfconscienceness (sp?) I am evidently more vain than I thought! What a way to learn.  :(

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2007, 06:30:58 AM »
It is a natural brand but contains Sodium Sulfate. Is that the pretty much the same as SLS? ??? 
Sodium Sulfate is not the same as SLS and it's not even a detergent, it's a salt.  This should be fine, but of course there's no guarantee. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »
I was wondering if die off can present itself as an increase in feelings of depression? or is it only more physical symptoms?
  Thanks!

B

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2007, 07:51:59 AM »
I was wondering if die off can present itself as an increase in feelings of depression? or is it only more physical symptoms?
  Thanks!

B
I'd venture a guess - yes.  Depression can be caused by candida, I would think die-off could produce the same.  If it lasts more than a week, I might look into other causes.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »
Here is a question.  My hole family are doing the yeast cleanse.  My kids and I are doing it to support my wonderful husband.  So we are all on the diet, except he is also taking a double dose of the YA and TT.  The kids and I are allowed to have some fruit, where as he is not.  We have been doing this for 6 days straight now.  No cheating either.

The first day my husband got really sick, he had a headache and flu like symptoms, no fever.  The second day he was better.  Still he had a headache and not feeling as well, but not as bad as the day before.  The third day he felt great!!!  He's been feeling great since then. 

After reading all of your struggles with yeast die off, I expect a lot worse from him.  So I'm just wondering if he went through the yeast die off the first two days?  Or what?  Was he not as yeas infested as I thought he was?  Has anyone else had it this easy?

The kids and I are doing great by the way.  We don't even crave sugar.  No changes in behaviour or healthe.  The kids and I are actually quit a healthy bunch.  THANK GOD :).  But really, I expected something else.

Any one have any thoughts?  Please share.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 05:38:43 AM by momto3girls »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:52 AM »
Here is a question.  My hole family are doing the yeast cleanse.  My kids and I are doing it to support my wonderful husband.  So we are all on the diet, except he is also taking a double dose of the YA and TT.  The kids and I are allowed to have some fruit, where as he is not.  We have been doing this for 6 days straight now.  No cheating either.

The first day my husband got really sick, he had a headache and flu like symptoms, no fever.  The second day he was better.  Still he had a headache and not feeling as well, but not as bad as the day before.  The third day he felt great!!!  He's been feeling great since then. 

After reading all of your struggles with yeast die off, I expect a lot worse from him.  So I'm just wondering if he went through the yeast die off the first two days?  Or what?  Was he not as yeas infested as I thought he was?  Has anyone else had it this easy?

The kids and I are doing great by the way.  We don't even crave sugar.  No changes in behaviour or healthe.  The kids and I are actually quit a healthy bunch.  THANK GOD :).  But really, I expected something else.

Any one have any thoughts?  Please share.
Most likely his die-off is done, but that doesn't mean that his battle is over.  It's a good idea to treat for several weeks to several months and then continue probiotics for up to a couple of years for best results and less chance of returning to his previous condition.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline momto4girls

• Adept
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »
Thanx for the reply healthybratt.

My first thought too was that the die-off is done.  My plan after he finishes the 10 day yeast cleans is to have him take the YA and the TT for the next 6 weeks.  I actually want him to take it for 6 months, but I want to see if he has any benefits at all from the yeast cleans in the next 6 weeks.  It's a lot of money to buy a 6 months supply if there is no results.

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2007, 09:23:08 AM »
does anyone know if I am on a yeast free diet and nursing that my baby's excema getting worse is normal? I need help! Is this a possibility? she is 5 months and although she had spots of it before, its so much more pronounced now...anyone? Its been almost two week of no yeast.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
My daughter's eczema always looked worse when it was healing up - know what I mean?  It has to get more dry and flaky and red looking as it gets more dried up.  Is it spreading?  Or are the spots just looking a little redder?  Also, there are several good threads that address eczema - it may not be primarily yeast related - maybe you could see what others have had success with, either with treatments or diet changes.

Are you certain it is eczema?

Offline yasmine

• Adept
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2007, 04:32:41 PM »
thank you soso much ..yeah it does kinda look reddiish more and she developed a light rash on the side of the cheek on the cheek bone. Im almost 100 % sure it is excema.When I was a raw foody I ate tons of salad and I started to put nutritional yeast on it . YUMMY. then my son started getting patches on the back of his knees and elbows. I cut out the yeast and 3 weeks later..gone. Im hoping your right about it looking worse before it gets better. I will try to add some kombucha tea. is it ok to drink when nursing?Ill check out the places you wanted me to look. I think ive read almost everything the past 2 days. Im still in my jammies and its 9;30 i never changed.

ps what else can excema come from?!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:34:21 PM by yasmine »

Offline yasmine

• Adept
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2007, 05:44:16 PM »
wait heres a question, can my nursed baby develope excema  from my die off???? :o like her excema get really bad? If that is true I could treat her topically... :) if its not a possibility then she has yeast... right?  :(

Any thoughts???

cecac

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2007, 06:25:13 AM »
wait heres a question, can my nursed baby develope excema  from my die off???? :o like her excema get really bad? If that is true I could treat her topically... :) if its not a possibility then she has yeast... right?  :(

Any thoughts???

My thought is that she would not be having detox symptoms from just a diet change.  If you are doing anyting that would cleanse the liver or cleanse your digestion system, then perhaps you would need to consider the possibility that you are letting some stuff out in breastmilk.  Are you using anything that would cause the body to purge impurities?

HTH,
Cara

Offline yasmine

• Adept
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2007, 02:56:31 AM »
no nothing at all! just no gluten sugar or dairy at all.  Green tea too .thats it.!

wait,  acidophilus each day a few times a day

One time , the first day I gave the probiotic to  one of my sons and he   a rash on his face and nose, pretty red. Thought it was from the probiotic, hes also the reason we went on the diet he has a lot of yeast.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 03:01:28 AM by yasmine »

Offline yasmine

• Adept
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2007, 03:33:16 AM »
also  am giving the baby a probiotic by natures way! Thays kinda when it started but thats when I started the diet

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2007, 07:55:25 AM »

Any thoughts???

My thought is that she would not be having detox symptoms from just a diet change.  If you are doing anyting that would cleanse the liver or cleanse your digestion system, then perhaps you would need to consider the possibility that you are letting some stuff out in breastmilk.  Are you using anything that would cause the body to purge impurities?

HTH,
Cara
That depends on how drastic the diet change is. 
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2007, 09:00:45 AM »

Any thoughts???

HTH,
Cara

Yeah, HB's right, sorry I didn't see your reply earlier this month, yasmine.  Those are some pretty hefty diet changes!!  If you're being really strict on that stuff, then you could possibly put your body in detox. :-\

There is a candida yeast cleansing for pregnancy and nursing thread--have you checked it out?  Might give you some ideas as far as diet that could possibly help.  There are some of us who are preggars who are trying to do some of this and work on our diet at the same time.

Also, infant probiotics might help your baby.

Cara
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:43:35 AM by cecac »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2007, 06:20:08 PM »

Any thoughts???

HTH,
Cara

Yeah, HB's right, sorry I didn't see your reply earlier this month, yasmine.  Those are some pretty hefty diet changes!!  If you're being really strict on that stuff, then you could possibly put your body in detox. :-\

There is a candida yeast cleansing for pregnancy and nursing thread--have you checked it out?  Might give you some ideas as far as diet that could possibly help.  There are some of us who are preggars who are trying to do some of this and work on our diet at the same time.

Also, infant probiotics might help your baby.

Cara
If die off is too extreme, you can slow it down by adding carbs back into your diet.  You could eat some whole grain toast or some oatmeal or cream of wheat or some rice to name a few.  I wouldn't go overboard.  I'd go for something non-sweet (to keep cravings to a minimum).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2007, 12:08:46 PM »
Yes, candida does develop resistance to many of the things we take to kill it off. There are enzymes that burst the cell walls that it cannot develop resistance to. I think one brand is called candidase. I take the vitacost brand.

Iodine also helps a great deal with candida. I would get some betadine and apply topically as well as take lugol's solution internally.

Here is some info on iodine and candida...

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=588

Iodine also helps resolve ovarian cysts...

http://curezone.com/faq/q.asp?a=13,281,2962&q=608
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 04:47:27 AM by prairiechild »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2007, 07:31:07 AM »
I would encourage hubby to take cod liver oil and maybe garlic for his cold.  CLO is also good for fighting yeast and leaky gut.  For the recurring skin problems, you might check the fungal/bacterial thread I gave you for some other ideas.  The first thing that comes to mind is salt baths.

No, cervical pain is not normal.  I'm guessing with more time, this will abate also.  Pain is a sign or a symptom that something in the body is not functioning properly.  I think if you keep doing what you're doing, things will most likely continue to improve.  If not on the yeast cleanse, maybe hormonal treatments and dietary changes once all the yeast is gone.

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Eglantine

• Learning
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2008, 02:02:01 PM »
Okay, I have a question...I'm on Day 5 of the Candida diet and so far, no sign of die-off! I can't ever remember wishing that I would have a headache or some other kind of illness until now! I wish I knew if this were working. I've been taking YA every morning with breakfast and again at lunch. 3-4 capsules each time. In the evening before bed, I take 2 Ultimate Defense (Tummy Tuneup). I have been limiting my carbs to 25g and have had no sugar besides what's in the plain yogurt. Yesterday I started mixing Primadophilus Reuteri in my plain yogurt or in water - 1 heaping teaspoon. Nothing. I KNOW that I have yeast issues - no doubt in my mind. So, what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 02:09:11 PM by Eglantine »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2008, 02:51:52 PM »
Okay, I have a question...I'm on Day 5 of the Candida diet and so far, no sign of die-off! I can't ever remember wishing that I would have a headache or some other kind of illness until now! I wish I knew if this were working. I've been taking YA every morning with breakfast and again at lunch. 3-4 capsules each time. In the evening before bed, I take 2 Ultimate Defense (Tummy Tuneup). I have been limiting my carbs to 25g and have had no sugar besides what's in the plain yogurt. Yesterday I started mixing Primadophilus Reuteri in my plain yogurt or in water - 1 heaping teaspoon. Nothing. I KNOW that I have yeast issues - no doubt in my mind. So, what do you think?
I think if you had enough symptoms to believe that you needed to treat for yeast, then die-off or no, you should continue with your plans.  YA is also good for parasites and the rest can only be good for you.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Eglantine

• Learning
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »
I've never had the skin rashes and Leaky Gut problems that I've read about others' experiencing but a whole host of other things have plagued me for 12 years now...starting with my first pregnancy. Looking back, I had many doses of antibiotics from 3 years old and on due to ear infections, then in my late teens I started BC pills and stayed on them for 7 years. Now, it is almost monthly yeast and UTI's.

Why do you think I wouldn't experience die-off? I was actually looking forward to it so I could know that I was being healed from all this. Sounds weird I know but it's the truth. Do you see any holes in my plan? Another thing: I've been vegetarian for 12 years, vegan for 8. I recently started eating yogurt and eggs hoping to address the yeast and even more than that, the monthly migraines. I've been off of refined flours and sugars for over a decade but still have a major sweet tooth.