Author Topic: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures  (Read 117656 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2008, 03:50:52 AM »
I added l.glutamine, aloe and cod liver oil to my probiotics and candida clear (yeast assassin).  I think you need the first 3 to heal the gut and the last to kill yeast and recolonize.

do you think the aloe is really necessary?  i am taking the clo, and decided to just get the NOW l. glutamine, but i feel like i take soooo many pills, was hoping to eliminate the aloe.  is 2 NOW clo softgels enough?
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2008, 06:11:53 AM »
I added l.glutamine, aloe and cod liver oil to my probiotics and candida clear (yeast assassin).  I think you need the first 3 to heal the gut and the last to kill yeast and recolonize.

do you think the aloe is really necessary?  i am taking the clo, and decided to just get the NOW l. glutamine, but i feel like i take soooo many pills, was hoping to eliminate the aloe.  is 2 NOW clo softgels enough?
I doubt that 2 is going to do a whole lot.  I took/take 4 a day (maximum allowance of vit A according to most sources).  If you're still suffering from inflammation and other symptoms you may need to consider adding a 3/6/9 to the mix to get more EFAs witout overdosing on the vit's A & D.

I can't say that the aloe is crucial; however, you've voiced many upsets with getting healthy.  I didn't have near the problems you're having, so long as I kept up the supplements and didn't immerse myself in corn syrup and sugary desserts.  I think the aloe has so many wonderful properties (it's antifungal AND it's gut healing).  I think if you're going to go bare minimum: my choices would be Candida Clear, Strong Probiotic, Aloe, CLO and l.Glutamine.  If I had to throw out all my other supplements when fighting yeast, these are the for sure things I'd personally keep on hand in abundance until I was sure the battle was over and I do keep them around for other issues as well.  All of these supplements are useful for other things. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2008, 11:34:26 AM »

I doubt that 2 is going to do a whole lot.  I took/take 4 a day (maximum allowance of vit A according to most sources).  If you're still suffering from inflammation and other symptoms you may need to consider adding a 3/6/9 to the mix to get more EFAs witout overdosing on the vit's A & D.

I can't say that the aloe is crucial; however, you've voiced many upsets with getting healthy.  I didn't have near the problems you're having, so long as I kept up the supplements and didn't immerse myself in corn syrup and sugary desserts.  I think the aloe has so many wonderful properties (it's antifungal AND it's gut healing).  I think if you're going to go bare minimum: my choices would be Candida Clear, Strong Probiotic, Aloe, CLO and l.Glutamine.  If I had to throw out all my other supplements when fighting yeast, these are the for sure things I'd personally keep on hand in abundance until I was sure the battle was over and I do keep them around for other issues as well.  All of these supplements are useful for other things. 

okie dokie, and i'll throw the 3-6-9 in there too for good measure.  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

okie dokie, and i'll throw the 3-6-9 in there too for good measure.  thanks!
Inflammation & Diet [Recommended Dosages & Diet]
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »
Read the blog entry dated 1/2/9:

http://www.samuelbackus.com/BackusBlog.html

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »
I don't understand what the sandy poop was a sign of. My 1yo ds has had periods of time where he passes sandy poop, practically since birth (I'm sure I've posted about it somewhere on WTM). It has me confounded and I seriously want to know what causes it. That post is the first time I've heard of it happening to anyone else.

WR

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2009, 05:47:02 PM »
I don't understand what the sandy poop was a sign of. My 1yo ds has had periods of time where he passes sandy poop, practically since birth (I'm sure I've posted about it somewhere on WTM). It has me confounded and I seriously want to know what causes it. That post is the first time I've heard of it happening to anyone else.

WR

WR,

When a person has "sandy poop" it means they have an intestinal blockage.  I know Jen Backus via the web as she helped me during my MIL's illness and when my 7yr old had the sandy poop.  I consider her the "guru of the gut."  When my DD had the sandy poop (she struggles with being plugged up) Jen had me put her on a diet of only pears and applesauce until she started going normal again.  It took my DD about 3 days before she finally cleared.  Jen said it can take longer.  Jen also wanted me to give my DD one dose of Miralax but I wouldn't do that because Miralax is bad stuff.  But her dealings with Samual's gut taught her not to mess around with a plugged gut.  Anyways, if your child has the sandy poop I would be concerned of a blockage in the intestines.  They usually don't hit sandy poop until there isn't any room for stuff to go by the blockage.  Then the sandy poop comes.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »
Jen seemed to be saying that Samuel's sandy poop was due to LGS and an overloaded liver and gallbladder.  He was not digesting his food.  At all.

I googled "sandy poop" and it apparently is very common in celiac disease.  Occurs pretty frequently with grains, especially whole grains.  (The moms did not seem to understand that the poo was a telling sign of impaired digestion.)  Saw one mention of yeast overgrowth.  Frequently appears in children with GI problems, not unusual in autistic children, according to the posts I read.

I think if a blockage is part of the problem, then only the small particles and liquid waste are getting through, and there can be considerable waste trapped in the intestines.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2009, 06:08:46 PM »
I want to be sure we're talking about the same thing, first. When Pickle (the 1yo) has sandy poop, it's not dry, or hard, or anything like that. It's perfectly normal looking, only when you start cleaning it off, you can tell it has "grit" in it --just like very fine sand. Is this the same thing? How does that happen from a blockage? Does the sandy poop have anything to do with leaky gut or is it only significant to that aspect of the article because a blockage can aggravate (?) leaky gut?

Oh, BTW, Pickle also has slightly larger particles in his poop sometimes, that are not gritty, they are kinda like tiny little popped balloons or something. I can see them being described as "pebbles" or "gravel" only they are not hard. Is this the gravelly poop she is talking about?

Also, in case it's useful info, he was breast milk only for much longer than the the average kid. And these episodes started happening while he was an infant (no solid foods) and no access to sand or anything else he could have ingested that might pass thru and show up in his poop. It doesn't happen all the time, only occasionally. And I have not spotted any patterns that might link it to a particular food.

Thanks,
WR
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:15:17 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »
Gravel/sand poop is a little hard to describe.  It literally looks like sand and is typically very loose (not runny - sandy).  It literally looks like gravel on the ground only brown and a little looser looking. 

Sand poop is in fact from intestinal blockage.  I just read Jen's recent update and she is coming to understand how much leaky gut Samual had.  But if you go way back into her archives (when Samual was still alive) she writes a lot about the sand and gravel poops being blockages.  Because Samual did not have his large intestine he was constantly getting illeuses (sp?) [a blockage].  My experience with my own DD is the same thing happened when she got blocked bad enough that only sand/gravel could get by the blockage.  Jen is just now beginning to understand how Samual's leaky gut played a part in his whole illness/intestinal issues.  So I think that's the confusion.

WR, it does not sound like what you're dealing with is true gravel poop.  Gravel/sand poops are not formed AT ALL.  I think of gravel with a little water added to it as the best description for true sand poops (blockage poops). 

It sounds like your Pickle is not digesting well.  When we did a stool test on my son that's what his stools looked like.  Lots of undigested particles.  Have you considered a stool test from Genova Diagnostics?  This doesn't sound like Leaky Gut (although it can lead to it long term), it sounds like poor digestion.  Fats, carbs, what?  You won't know without testing his/her stool.  For my son, he was digesting fats but only absorbing about 40% of them.  Now that we have started clearing that up, he doesn't have any signs of leaky gut.  So I think poor digestion/absorption (those are two very different things BTW) can be mistaken for LG at times.

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2009, 08:04:17 PM »
Gravel/sand poop is a little hard to describe.  It literally looks like sand and is typically very loose (not runny - sandy).  It literally looks like gravel on the ground only brown and a little looser looking. 

Sand poop is in fact from intestinal blockage.  I just read Jen's recent update and she is coming to understand how much leaky gut Samual had.  But if you go way back into her archives (when Samual was still alive) she writes a lot about the sand and gravel poops being blockages.  Because Samual did not have his large intestine he was constantly getting illeuses (sp?) [a blockage].  My experience with my own DD is the same thing happened when she got blocked bad enough that only sand/gravel could get by the blockage.  Jen is just now beginning to understand how Samual's leaky gut played a part in his whole illness/intestinal issues.  So I think that's the confusion.

WR, it does not sound like what you're dealing with is true gravel poop.  Gravel/sand poops are not formed AT ALL.  I think of gravel with a little water added to it as the best description for true sand poops (blockage poops). 

It sounds like your Pickle is not digesting well.  When we did a stool test on my son that's what his stools looked like.  Lots of undigested particles.  Have you considered a stool test from Genova Diagnostics?  This doesn't sound like Leaky Gut (although it can lead to it long term), it sounds like poor digestion.  Fats, carbs, what?  You won't know without testing his/her stool.  For my son, he was digesting fats but only absorbing about 40% of them.  Now that we have started clearing that up, he doesn't have any signs of leaky gut.  So I think poor digestion/absorption (those are two very different things BTW) can be mistaken for LG at times.

hth

patti
Are you referring to almost totally watery stools full of grit with a HIGHLY acidic odor (and lots of it!) usually happening within max of 15min after eating?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:07:56 PM by paradisemamma »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2009, 08:30:56 AM »
Are you referring to almost totally watery stools full of grit with a HIGHLY acidic odor (and lots of it!) usually happening within max of 15min after eating?

Nope.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
Have you considered a stool test from Genova Diagnostics? 

I did think about it for my other son, after reading about your experience, but I just didn't think dh would go for it. Although, it never hurts to ask, I guess.  :)

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2010, 06:14:06 AM »
WHY DO WE KEEP GETTING A VIRUS?!?!?!  The test we are able to afford is not detailed or extremely sensitive...
This topic has been spit and moved here.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sprobasco

• Learning
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
Thought this would be a good thing to add here...

i have a two year old who has battled multiple health issues which have gotten worse lately. It started with eczema and cradle cap as an infant...that got better for awhile with treatment...but then it came back at about 1.5 along with tummy issues and frequent colds/coughs/congestions/wheezing.

He also still has eczema and "cradle cap" (or psoriasis). (he also has horrible eating habits, and typically only wants to eat junk food where my four year old does not have that problem and i have parented them the same:)

After trying in vain to to handle it myself...finally took him to a naturopath today. She gave us a heavy duty probiotic along with dha and l glutamine.

She said..in short...he has a food allergy (probably multiple and maybe yeast as well) that caused the initial problem that has now multiplied into leaky gut. What may have originally been only one food allergy may now have become multiple because the leaky gut leads to more sensitivities, and also causes him to crave sugar and the foods he is allergic to.

We did an allergy test today and she is starting him on the treatment to heal his gut. Basically, once you heal the gut, the food allergies may go away. (at least the bulk of them and the severity).

Decided to my own research when i got home and this thread seems to confirm what she said. Thought this would be good to post since it really confirms what you all have said here. I am going to keep reading... ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 05:48:48 AM by healthybratt »

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
I am wondering if a pro biotic alone would kill the yeast? I finally got my husband to go to the ND and he put him on a pro biotic. He also put my DS on it as well. He said that it would be enough to kill the yeast but I am thinking maybe not.?

He put him on Symbiotique It has:
Propir-fidus
Lactobacillus rhamosus
Bifidobacterium bifidum
bifidobacterium longum

Should we do something else to help kill the yeast as well? I was thinking the yeast assassin but right now dh is not very happy at how much it has cost us so far. Can olive leaf exract kill yeast? I have read it is an anti virus.

Any help would be appreciated. I am sort of dizzy with trying to get my family healthy. Just found out ds has gluten intolerance and other ds is having feet problems with his diabetes. I would just like to fix them all.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »
Probiotics will go a long way by themselves to kill yeast.

The best thing you can do in addition to the probiotics is to figure out a basic idea of why the yeast got out of control in the first place. Too much sugar/carbs in the diet? Too many toxins or heavy metal exposure? Antibiotics (2 rounds in one a year or more over a lifetime)? Chronic inflammation levels from endocrine disruption of genetic allergies?

Probiotics can really help though nothing beats diet changes for getting yeast back in balance permanently. The good news---diet changes will help all of the rest of the family as well. Fortunately you don't have to understand all of the ins and outs of the multitude of "diagnostic" possibiliites for some simple (not always easy) changes to start making improvements across the spectrum of health.

Have you read The Maker's Diet and or Empowering Your Health?  Both of those books are wonderful. Good info presented clearly and in an easy to read style. I encourage you to get one or both of them or PM me. I might be able to loan them to you.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2010, 05:38:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I am so glad to hear that they will kill yeast. Would he be getting  die off symptoms from this? He is not feeling very well and said that his brain is foggy. He can't think straight. And is very tired.

Do you know if honey will kill yeast or feed it?

I appreciate your willingness to loan me the books. I plan on buying the Makers diet. And I will look the other one up in the library. I am in Australia so I think that that would be a fare ways to loan. I found them for 1c at amazon.

We really don't do much sugar or sweets around here. Although my husband may do more than the rest of us. He does like sweets but will say he doesn't. He hasn't really been on antibiotics either. He may have been on them 16 years ago when he had a bad car accident. The only other thing I could put it down to is when we were on deputation for 2 to 3 years. It is a very stressful time trying to get to the next meeting and trying to keep cost down and save time so buying a dollar burger on the way. This is the time that ds was diagnosed with diabetes. Almost every church we went to gave the children candy. I threw so much of it away but they still had their share.

I have been reading the liver cleaning diet book. Maybe that can help jump start us. But like I said we do eat pretty healthy already. Although green leafy vegetables aren't my husbands favorite. I hide them in soups and mashed potatoes. He usually says something like umm spinach ah.

Thanks a bunch
Amanda