Author Topic: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 37802 times)

Offline hsink

• Adept
Re: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »
Hi!!!! I have never used coconut oil??? I have used all butter and we like that. I would think that if your coconut oil softens when it gets warmer it could really effect the consistency?? Maybe that doesn't matter though if you are doing cream cheese frosting you are probably putting it in the fridge so it will stay firm? Sorry I am not much help  >:(

Okay so WR beat me to it and in a much more consise way ;D

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 04:24:56 AM »
Thanks! I did use the butter. I really wanted white icing, so I was afraid that the butter would make it look more yellowish, but it didn't. I didn't add vanilla for the same reason, but it tasted just fine without it!

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 04:53:10 AM »
Thanks! I did use the butter. I really wanted white icing, so I was afraid that the butter would make it look more yellowish, but it didn't. I didn't add vanilla for the same reason, but it tasted just fine without it!
Glad it worked out for you. I know that my aunt uses clear imitation vanilla and butter flavoring for wedding cakes to keep it really white. I have found that it is plenty white for me with butter and I usually even use real vanilla. We like the good flavor and usually I have other bright colors on the cake and so the contrast makes the icing look white even though it is a little off white. 

Holly

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 10:40:27 AM »
Whenever I bake cakes for my siblings birthdays, they always call for chocolate frosting. However, nobody in my family likes the nasty canned stuff, so I was wondering if anyone had a really good frosting recipie? White or chocolate, I need both. And it doesen't have to be healthy, because anything you make will end up being better than the stuff from the store!

Thanks.

Here is my very FAVORITE chocolate frosting, and I've done a lot of baking over the years.  Forget the cake and just eat it with a spoon!  :D  French Silk Pie was my favorite dessert growing up and this brings back yummy memories.  I just discovered it this past year, compliments of allrecipes.com. 

FRENCH SILK FROSTING

INGREDIENTS
2 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, blend confectioners sugar, butter, melted chocolate and vanilla on low speed. Increase speed to high. Gradually add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Silk-Frosting/Detail.aspx

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 12:40:13 PM »
I have an absolute to die for frosting.  It is my grandma's recipe and it is NOT HEALTHY!
But it has to be better than canned stuff.  It tastes just as good!

CAKE FROSTING

1 cup sugar
5 TBSP flour
(Blend these together)

Add 1 cup Milk and stir.
Cook on low until thick, stirring constantly.
Cool this completely and put in fridge to make really cold.

Then, beat with a mixer:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 Tsp Vanilla

Then, add cold milk and sugar mixture to butter mixture and mix until fluffy. 

Is the consistency good for decorating?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 06:49:21 PM by MQM »

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 11:56:17 AM »
bump
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
This one is our favorite.  :)
Velvet Frosting
5 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar (I've also used 3/4 c. honey)
1 c. butter - or 1/2 and 1/2 butter and cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix flour, milk and 1/2 c. sugar.  Cook until mixture is thick and creamy; cool.  Cream butter, the remaining 1/2 c. sugar and vanilla.  Beat till light and fluffy.  Add cooled flour mixture (we have added it before it was cooled completely and it doesn't turn out that great :o :() and continue beating till mixture is like whipped cream.  Freezes very nicely and keeps well in the fridge.
Variation:  To make chocolate frosting use 4 tbsp. flour and 3 tbsp. cocoa or 1/2 c. chocolate chips.

Does this go on like whipped cream? I'm gonna decorate my daughter's b-day cake and the way I do it is to warm up the store bought frosting in the can and pour it over the cake so it has a somewhat smooth, slightly fondant look to it. Can I do that with this frosting?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
Does this go on like whipped cream? I'm gonna decorate my daughter's b-day cake and the way I do it is to warm up the store bought frosting in the can and pour it over the cake so it has a somewhat smooth, slightly fondant look to it. Can I do that with this frosting?
You could pore this one on, before you chill it.  It almost soaks in and leaves a thin chocolaty glaze over the top this way.

Frosting

3 c granulated sugar (not powdered - GROSS)
3/4 c cocoa
3/4 c butter
3/4 c milk
3 tsp vanilla

Mix sugar, cocoa, butter and milk.  Stirring constantly (or in double boiler),  bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Chill in fridge until firm (30-60 minutes).  Beat with mixer until a spreadable consistancy.

NOTE:  This stuff tastes like Hershey's syrup right out of the bottle when warm.  I used the warm stuff to drizzle over some banana bread   :o.  I think it would make a great substitute for Hershey's syrup, but probably wouldn't store for very long.  It gets hard in the fridge, but you might be able to reheat to liquid so long as you don't whip it  ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 07:24:38 AM »
I have an absolute to die for frosting.  It is my grandma's recipe and it is NOT HEALTHY!
But it has to be better than canned stuff.  It tastes just as good!

CAKE FROSTING

1 cup sugar
5 TBSP flour
(Blend these together)

Add 1 cup Milk and stir.
Cook on low until thick, stirring constantly.
Cool this completely and put in fridge to make really cold.

Then, beat with a mixer:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 Tsp Vanilla

Then, add cold milk and sugar mixture to butter mixture and mix until fluffy. 

Is the consistency good for decorating?

Sorry, just saw this!  ::)  The consistency is almost exactly like store bought frosting. HTH.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
Thanks! I'll try it on my next cake.

Offline In Christ

• Adept
Help: Re: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
I am needing a frosting recipe that will be ok on the counter overnight, about 12 hours and yet won't melt/run.

We have some Buttercream frosting recipes and I looked through the ones here but I need to make sure it won't run or melt.  Esp. since the icing will be used to do all different colored balloons.

Thanks so much.

In Christ,
S.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Help: Re: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2008, 05:17:57 AM »
I am needing a frosting recipe that will be ok on the counter overnight, about 12 hours and yet won't melt/run.

We have some Buttercream frosting recipes and I looked through the ones here but I need to make sure it won't run or melt.  Esp. since the icing will be used to do all different colored balloons.

Thanks so much.

In Christ,
S.
Could you just use a regular recipe and set the cake in a box full of ice to keep the temp down around it?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hsink

• Adept
Re: Help: Re: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2008, 09:40:53 AM »

Thanks so much.

In Christ,
S.
Here's my opinion if you haven't done your cake yet  :)
I do my kids birthday cakes at least one and sometimes two (at the most three :o) days ahead and put them in my china cabinet at room temp. My aunt does wedding cakes and thinks that they are actually better after they sit a day. If you make sure the cake is covered all the way with icing it really seals in the moisture and pulls a little of the moisture out of the icing so the cake is yummy and moist. The cakes I do for the kids are often multi/bright colored and the icing don't run or bleed into the other colors. You can find the recipe for buttercream that I use earlier in this thread. Two of my kids' birthdays are in the summer but our house wouldn't get over about 80 degrees even when it is hot outside. Hope you find something that works for you!

Holly

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
I was looking for something to top my brownies with, but didn't have any kind of sugar or "bad stuff" to use! I had a dish of softened butter & decided to add some honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla. It whipped up nice like chocolate frosting & tasted great, too! I couldn't believe it. So, if you're desperate for something but don't want the junk, give it a try. Maybe experiment with other flavors.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 03:00:15 AM »
I was looking for something to top my brownies with, but didn't have any kind of sugar or "bad stuff" to use! I had a dish of softened butter & decided to add some honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla. It whipped up nice like chocolate frosting & tasted great, too! I couldn't believe it. So, if you're desperate for something but don't want the junk, give it a try. Maybe experiment with other flavors.  :)
Measurements?  Even approximate helps me get started.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 04:16:44 AM »
Measurements?  Even approximate helps me get started.  ;D
I probably had 2-3 T of butter, added 2-3 T honey, a splash of vanilla, and enough cocoa powder to make it a frosting-like consistency. It may need some other ingredients, but that's where I stopped. It whips up pretty light with just a spoon or fork. I just kept tasting it. ;)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:37:51 AM by healthybratt »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 04:40:45 AM »
I thought i saw it on here but can't find it!! isn't there a frosting recipe that you can use sweetened condensed milk instead of powdered sugar?

Offline hakeber

• Learning
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 11:28:35 PM »
Hi all. Bumped this topic to add some suggestions.

I work with lots of different icings, and am trying hard to make less-sweet alternatives of icing to the ones cake decorators use a lot. It's difficult to put less sugar, as sugar is what gives icing it's balance. I wouldn't suggest low-fat icings. In my opinion, if you want your cake to look professional , you should just bear with it. There's not much you can do to cut out sugar completely, though a lot you can do to cut it down. If you want to eat healthy, eat these things in moderation and not often. Then, when you really do get to enjoy something delicious, like cake, you can enjoy it without guilt and without worry. javascript:void(0);

Apart from that, the sweetest icings in the block would be rolled fondant, petit four icing, and royal icing. Too overwhelmingly sweet and the taste is terrrible, but  are cake decorator's favorites because they are easiest to work with. I use them very sparingly.

Less sweet icings I like to use are: Meringue Buttercream and chocolate ganache.
My chocolate ganache recipe is 100gm choc to 100gm whipped cream. The sweetness depends on the chocolate. if you use bitter choc, you have bitter icing
Meringue buttercream is very buttery and only a tinge of sweetness, bearable and even delicious, the con is that it has egg whites inside. Normal buttercream is 2 parts sugar, 1 part butter, though I cut down the sugar by half, resulting is a very difficult to work-with and still sweet icing.

You can be creative and experiment with whipped cream, and custard, and meringue to cover your cake. Mix things togather. Experiment. Maybe you'll find a good icing from basic kitchen ingredients. There are no end of options, because icing is basically something that you decorate a cake with that does not have to be baked, (that's my definition anyway).Icings should enhance the cake, icing should bring out the flavor of the cake, icing should  make the cake look beautiful. But I wouldn't be too extremely health-consious about  icings. All things in moderation for me. javascript:void(0); , then I get the fun of it.

;) Besides, kids love sweet things. A treat once in a while will not kill them.