Author Topic: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 44850 times)

Offline princesstea

• Learning
  • Howdy!
    • My FaithWriters Profile
Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« on: January 03, 2007, 12:12:18 PM »
Whenever I bake cakes for my siblings birthdays, they always call for chocolate frosting. However, nobody in my family likes the nasty canned stuff, so I was wondering if anyone had a really good frosting recipie? White or chocolate, I need both. And it doesen't have to be healthy, because anything you make will end up being better than the stuff from the store!

Thanks.
Kaylee Bake

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars.

Offline Carey

• Learning
Re: Frosting: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
My favorite white frosting recipe is to add powdered sugar to very soft cream cheese till it tastes good! Sometimes I do the same thing with butter instead of cream cheese.
I wonder if you could add a little bit of cocoa as well?!?

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »
Here's my chocolate cream cheese icing recipe:

8 oz softened cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
4 T butter
8 oz chocolate chips
milk to thin

Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler.  With an electric mixer, mix all ingredients.  It is thin (runny) so refrigerate for 30 mins.  Mix in milk to thin to desired consistency.  SO SO SO yummy.  I get asked for this all the time.  Don't substitute margerine, and use good quality ingredients; it makes a big difference!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:21:31 PM »
ShabbyChic's recipe sounds yummy!

Here is my favorite, although I haven't made it in a long time. The texture is what makes it superb and it tastes great, too:

Satin Chocolate Frosting

1/2 C plus 2T cocoa
3 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick butter
41/2 T HOT water
1 stick butter

Mix cocoa, 1/2 stick butter, powdered sugar, and hot water. Beat well and add egg, 1 stick butter, and vanilla. Beat well again. Makes a beautiful satiny frosting!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
I know that princesstea said that the recipes didn't have to be healthy but while everybody is pulling out frosting recipes does anyone have a recipe for frosting that DOESN'T have sugar, corn syrup, dairy or soy? My kids have allergies & I have some frosting recipes that use tofu but I want to get away from soy. Thanks everyone. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 03:33:20 PM »
I often decorate cakes for family birthdays and I always use Wilton's buttercream icing recipe.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
4 c. pwd sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 2 T. milk

Usually to have a softer icing I add another tbsp. or so of milk. If you want super white icing you can use all shortening and 1 tsp. of butter flavoring(I never do this but others do) or you can also replace the shortening with butter(my mom loves it when I do that)

Chocolate variation adds 1/4 c. Cocoa(maybe less or more according to your preferences)
Honestly we didn't just love the Chocolate version when I tried it so I would probably try a new recipe if I did Chocolate Icing again.
Hope this helps
Holly

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 04:21:56 PM »
so....  frosting with no sugar, corn syrup, dairy or soy... that's a TOUGH one! 

I would carefully check the ingredients to be sure, but you might look into getting canned cocounut milk.  If you stick it in the fridge, open the lid, carefully skim the "cream" off into a bowl, and whip it until it becomes stiff, it makes a really yummy topping!  I like to use this with fresh tropical fruit for a nice dessert.  I don't know why it wouldn't work for a cake frosting, though it may be somewhat expensive to buy enough coconut milk to do this.  Oh, and I should clarify that this will be more like cool-whip consistency, not frosting.  (I always preferred the fluffy frostings though!)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 04:32:48 PM by heatheronthehill »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 04:30:55 PM »
Yeah, what if you used coconut oil and coconut milk in place of the butter and cream cheese?  So I guess that's melted chocolate chips, coconut oil and coconut milk.  It would take some fine tuning, but coconut chocolate icing sounds great!  Of course chocolate chips have dairy and usully soy lecithin, so you'd probably use cocoa.  Maybe a little vanilla?  I love coming up with new combinations for things!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 04:53:19 PM »
so....  frosting with no sugar, corn syrup, dairy or soy... that's a TOUGH one! 

I would carefully check the ingredients to be sure, but you might look into getting canned cocounut milk.  If you stick it in the fridge, open the lid, carefully skim the "cream" off into a bowl, and whip it until it becomes stiff, it makes a really yummy topping!  I like to use this with fresh tropical fruit for a nice dessert.  I don't know why it wouldn't work for a cake frosting, though it may be somewhat expensive to buy enough coconut milk to do this.

I know it's a tough one but I'm hoping someone has a recipe. I have seen a few before but I don't have a copy of them & don't know where to get them. DH likes the 7 min type frosting made w/egg whites but that takes corn syrup. It would be nice to make cake occasionally for special occasions. Thanks for the tip about cocoanut milk to make "whipped cream". I didn't know that you can whip cocoanut cream & I'm sure that the kids will love it.

Yeah, what if you used coconut oil and coconut milk in place of the butter and cream cheese? So I guess that's melted chocolate chips, coconut oil and coconut milk. It would take some fine tuning, but coconut chocolate icing sounds great! Of course chocolate chips have dairy and usully soy lecithin, so you'd probably use cocoa. Maybe a little vanilla? I love coming up with new combinations for things!

Good idea, I'll play w/it & see what happens. Actually, they do make both choc. & carob chips w/out dairy that have healthy sweetener. I don't remember if they are grain sweetened or fruit juice sweetened, I think it's grain.

Thanks for the help. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 04:32:27 AM »
I know that Rapadura makes a powdered sugar. It's not cheap, but they have a recipe on the box for chocolate frosting which I used to frost my Christmas cookies last month.  It might be tough to find it (I found it at Whole Foods), but it does make great icing without the refined sugar.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 05:07:32 AM »
Everytime I make frosting with powdered sugar in it, that's ALL I can taste  :P  Anyone know how to make home frosting taste creamy and smooth and oily like the store bought stuff instead of tasting like I stuck a spoon in a bag of powdered sugar?   :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline nowiknow

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 06:14:01 AM »
This one is our favorite.  :)
Velvet Frosting
5 tbsp. flour
1 c. milk
1 c. sugar (I've also used 3/4 c. honey)
1 c. butter - or 1/2 and 1/2 butter and cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix flour, milk and 1/2 c. sugar.  Cook until mixture is thick and creamy; cool.  Cream butter, the remaining 1/2 c. sugar and vanilla.  Beat till light and fluffy.  Add cooled flour mixture (we have added it before it was cooled completely and it doesn't turn out that great :o :() and continue beating till mixture is like whipped cream.  Freezes very nicely and keeps well in the fridge.
Variation:  To make chocolate frosting use 4 tbsp. flour and 3 tbsp. cocoa or 1/2 c. chocolate chips.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:15:39 AM by nowiknow »

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 06:17:44 AM »
Nowiknow,

Does the cake need to be refrigerated after it is frosted?  That looks like a lot of milk, and I just wondered.

Thank you!

Offline jessyru

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 06:46:33 AM »
To make really simple, creamy, light (and not too sweet) frosting whip together one box of instant pudding mix & a container of whipping cream. I think instant pudding mix is pretty unnatural, but maybe someone knows how to make their own instant pudding mix?
Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
~1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline nowiknow

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 08:25:29 AM »

Does the cake need to be refrigerated after it is frosted?  That looks like a lot of milk, and I just wondered.

Thank you!

Whatever I frost with it usually gets eaten fairly quickly and I'm thinking that I have always assumed that because the milk is cooked in with the flour and sugar, it wouldn't spoil that easy.  So, no, I don't normally refrigerate what I frost with it.  We use it on Easter buns mostly.  I definitely refrigerate the leftover.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 10:37:47 AM »
I know that Rapadura makes a powdered sugar. It's not cheap, but they have a recipe on the box for chocolate frosting which I used to frost my Christmas cookies last month.  It might be tough to find it (I found it at Whole Foods), but it does make great icing without the refined sugar.

You can take reg. sugar & powder it in the blender. I would think that you can do it with Rapadura too. Unfortunately, in my case it's not just that I'm trying to stay away from refined sweeteners, my kids are allergic to cane which means that they can't have Rapadura, Sucanat or molasses. I wish that I could use Rapadura. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 01:54:37 PM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to say that I didn't mean to sound abrubt with the "always" use this recipe.  It is just that it is the only frosting recipe I have had any experience with  :(  So sorry about the tone that may have come across in that...

Sounds like you have some great ideas here...
I think that my mom used to do the cool whip/pudding mix to put on top of Gma's angel food cakes...lots of the family loved that.

Also, if you do have a frosting recipe that doesn't have to be refrigderated I think that it works great to do the cake a day or two ahead and get it all iced.  Then it is done and the mess cleaned up to lessen the stress for a special occasion and the cake seems to get more moist by sealing it up inside the icing.

Anyone know how to make home frosting taste creamy and smooth and oily like the store bought stuff instead of tasting like I stuck a spoon in a bag of powdered sugar?   
Maybe...lots of shortening and butter???? Good Luck  :o  :o  ;D
I don't personally enjoy the taste of icing much so... :(

Holly

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »
Everytime I make frosting with powdered sugar in it, that's ALL I can taste  :P  Anyone know how to make home frosting taste creamy and smooth and oily like the store bought stuff instead of tasting like I stuck a spoon in a bag of powdered sugar?   :-X

Packaged powered sugar contains cornstarch to keep it from clumping & I think that is part of the taste it has, I know it doesn't taste the same as reg. sugar. Maybe if you powdered it yourself in the blender like I was saying in my earlier post it would taste better because it wouldn't have the cornstarch in it. Powder in small batches in the blender until fine- it will almost double in volume. If you store it, keep it airtight or it may clump. HTH ~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 05:59:22 PM »
Packaged powered sugar contains cornstarch to keep it from clumping & I think that is part of the taste it has,
Interesting.  Thanks for the info.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Lovin'myHoneyinVT

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 08:46:43 AM »
My mom usually makes the icing with a stick of butter, add some powdered sugar, and then make it creamier with half and half...not a lot, and whatever flavoring you need.  I just use milk or cream instead.  This makes enough frosting for a whole cake...plus some for "tasting". ;D
Melissa

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 04:20:53 PM »
I have an absolute to die for frosting.  It is my grandma's recipe and it is NOT HEALTHY!
But it has to be better than canned stuff.  It tastes just as good!

CAKE FROSTING

1 cup sugar
5 TBSP flour
(Blend these together)

Add 1 cup Milk and stir.
Cook on low until thick, stirring constantly.
Cool this completely and put in fridge to make really cold.

Then, beat with a mixer:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 Tsp Vanilla

Then, add cold milk and sugar mixture to butter mixture and mix until fluffy. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »
Not with shortening in it... :P  Can I use lard or all butter instead or will this drastically change the flavor?

Otherwise, it sounds delicious.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 04:57:54 PM »
Not with shortening in it... :P  Can I use lard or all butter instead or will this drastically change the flavor?

Otherwise, it sounds delicious.   ;D

I bet it would taste even BETTER with all butter in it. Just my .02. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 05:02:32 PM »
Not with shortening in it... :P 

Ummm...doesn't the canned stuff have shortening in it?!  Isn't that what all that "hydrogentated oils" is?  I have Spectrum Organic Non-hydrogenated shortening that I buy at my local health food store just for occasional recipes like this.  Perhaps, you could try substituting cold coconut oil in it.  I don't know?  I have never made it a different way, so you be the first to do it and let us know.  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
Not with shortening in it... :P 

Ummm...doesn't the canned stuff have shortening in it?!  Isn't that what all that "hydrogentated oils" is?  I have Spectrum Organic Non-hydrogenated shortening that I buy at my local health food store just for occasional recipes like this.  Perhaps, you could try substituting cold coconut oil in it.  I don't know?  I have never made it a different way, so you be the first to do it and let us know.  ;)
Yes, it does, that's why I'm trying not to buy it anymore.  I actually like the taste of the stuff out of a can, but I know it's got the crud in it, so I'm looking for an easy replacement.  I found a recipe that resembled making fudge that sounded really good, but it just takes sooooooooo long and I'm too lazy.  I don't even like to make fudge.  I made it for Christmas last year and so far have had no desire for repeats.  LOL  I'm sure I will some day as hubby really liked it...but I digress...I think I'll be trying your recipe.  It sounds easy and delicious.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline nowiknow

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007, 04:15:58 AM »
HealthyinOhio's recipe is similar to the one I posted earlier in this thread.  I have always just used butter or butter and cream cheese.  And yes, it is really delicious!  We have also used it as a filling between chocolate cookies - yum!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 04:45:03 AM »
HealthyinOhio's recipe is similar to the one I posted earlier in this thread.  I have always just used butter or butter and cream cheese.  And yes, it is really delicious!  We have also used it as a filling between chocolate cookies - yum!
I belive I DID read that one and thought how yummy that might be.  ;D  Thanks for reminding me.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2007, 03:29:13 AM »
ChopChop, what do you frost it with?

[Best Chocolate Cake Recipe]

That is a hard call, but here are some good ones.  Have fun! This is making me hungry  ;D 

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
    * 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    * 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
    * 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    * 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

In double boiler melt chips and add heavy cream, mix until smooth take off of heat.
   In mixing bowl cream together sugar and cream cheese until smooth, slowly add chocolate mixture. Mixture will thicken up as the chocolate cools. This is great with Cherry filling between the layers and frost with the cream cheese frosting.  Mmmmmmm

Mocha Frosting
    * 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
    * 1/4 cup milk
    * 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    * 6 tablespoons butter
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 5 cups confectioners' sugar
    Mix together; instant coffee (strong black leftover coffee and omit milk), milk, cocoa powder, butter or margarine, vanilla extract, and confectioners' sugar until of spreading consistency. This makes quite a bit of frosting

Whipped Cream Frosting

* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
 In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar salt and vanilla until smooth. In a small bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture.  WONDERFUL!!!

Peanut Butter Frosting
    * 1/2 cup butter
    * 1 cup creamy peanut butter
    * 4 cups confectioners' sugar
    * 1/3 cup cream or milk
 In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Slowly beat in 1/2 of the confectioner's sugar. Mix in 1/4 cup of the cream. Beat in the remaining confectioners' sugar. If necessary, add a little more cream or milk until the frosting reaches a good spreading consistency. Makes enough to frost one 2 layer 9 inch cake or one 9x13 inch cake.  Not for me, but Dh loves peanut butter frosting.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 12:09:40 PM by chopchop »

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 11:01:35 AM »
Quick help, please!! Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening in this recipe?

I often decorate cakes for family birthdays and I always use Wilton's buttercream icing recipe.

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
4 c. pwd sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 2 T. milk

I'm planning on using this recipe to do the decorations on my ds's birthday cake...but I don't have any shortening! Shouldn't coconut oil work, too? Or do you think it wouldn't be stiff enough?

Oh, I'm working on the icing now. I'm going to ice it with a lemon cream cheese icing but I don't think it will stiff enough to do decorations....nothing like waiting until last minute to ask, huh?  :-[  ::)

TIA!
Aura

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Quick help, please!! Can I use coconut oil instead of shortening in this recipe?

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. shortening
4 c. pwd sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 2 T. milk

I'm planning on using this recipe to do the decorations on my ds's birthday cake...but I don't have any shortening! Shouldn't coconut oil work, too? Or do you think it wouldn't be stiff enough?

Oh, I'm working on the icing now. I'm going to ice it with a lemon cream cheese icing but I don't think it will stiff enough to do decorations....nothing like waiting until last minute to ask, huh?  :-[  ::)

TIA!
Aura

I would try butter. Coconut oil would turn to a liquid before butter would.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!