Author Topic: Ear Candles [Candling/Coning]: What, Why & How?  (Read 28215 times)

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Ear Candles [Candling/Coning]: What, Why & How?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
Is this a procedure that you can do alone, or would someone have to help?

We have used the ear candles once and I would not recommend trying it alone. Our candles instructions said to clip off the tip of the candle periodically while it burned. I don't think you could do this alone and if you didn't clip it you would have hot ash falling on you.

That said, I am finding this thread interesting. I had a friend tell me about these, she uses them all the time and loves them. We tried it as our 4yo dd has had chronic ear probs. We tried the candle in water expirament and the inside of the candle looked just the same as when used in someones ear. We were disappointed and between that and the quackwatch article decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting wax in the ear. After reading the thread on quackwatch and a previous post on the idea that it just softens the wax doesn't actually suction it, I am toying with trying it again. My kids LOVED having it done to them! Not sure that DH is up for another go at them though. He was pretty disappointed with them after our expirament.

Also, as posted above, what position does everyone do this in. It seems that if you did it while sitting it would keep the hot powdery stuff inside the candle from getting in your ear. We had a booklet that we ordered with our candles that said to lay down so that is what we did........
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:35:02 AM by beppyjo »

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
I have used ear candles OFTEN.    I know there are a lot of reports that these do not get wax out but I have to wonder what that is that comes out of the ear then.   It looks exactly like wax, feels like wax, and there is usually visible wax right at the entrance of the ear when I finish doing my children's ears.    How can it not be wax?????     There is some white powdery stuff in the candle that I know is not wax but that is not what I am referring to.   
I have my children lie down and wrap a towel around their head and put a moist towel over that just in case I happen to drop anything hot or burning  :o which I never have.    ;D       I think it would be almost impossible to do alone.    You are supposed to hold the candle so the tip points into the ear canal.    I suppose if they were sitting up that would be almost horizontal. 
Just my 2 cents worth.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline gloryacres

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »
The health food store where we purchase ours tells us to put a small hole in the middle of an 8 " paper plate...NOT STYROFOAM...
then place the candle through the hole and then into the ear.
That way if anything should fall it will fall on the plate.
Works great and with the help of a mirror one can do it by oneself.  :)
Just my 2 cents worth.   ;D

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »
This is a question for anyone who has ever tried ear candling. My almost 3yo has huge globs of wax in her ears. The Dr. suggested using oil drops to soften and "drain" it. I've done that on and off for several weeks with no success. I know you're not supposed to put anything in there, but I tried using tiny tweezers to grab them. They were hard and just pushed further into the ear. I tried ear candling just once on her, and it seemed to get some crud out, but the globs are still there. Do I just need to do more candles? or is there something else that can be done. Poor girl seems to have difficulty hearing, and I'd love to get it removed.
Thanks.
Visionary mom

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 10:04:09 AM »
If I'm not mistaken hydrogen peroxide can "eat" ear wax. I would try a few drops of that and see what happens!

Kate

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 10:24:52 AM »
Yep, my aunt always cleaned her kids ears with peroxide whenever they had an ear infection. She would have them lay in her lap with the ear up, and put a little peroxide in the ear and let it sit for a good while. Then she would hand them a paper towel and have them sit up and let it drain.

I've done it to myself at times.

I don't know if it would work with hardened wax but you could try it.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
oh it's great. my mom has always done this to us. now i do it to my husband and the kids when they let me. you just don't do it to often and i think you can dilute it a bit also. i also know that heatin a rice bag or something up and letting them lay on it melts the stuff and helps it out.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2008, 10:34:18 AM »
 Visionary mom, I don't like being contrary, but I would save the dollars instead of buying candles for ears. I have tried them a lot and though they have yellow wax in them when done burning, the wax is still in the ear as before.   
  So I got smart and burned one of those candles, stuck in the sink drain and it produced just as much 'wax" from itself!  Not even close to an ear!!

Needless to say, I am not wasting another penny  on this "ear cleaning "product.

I have some laying on the shelf, if you were close I would give them to you!
  IMO, you are better of softening the wax and washing it out. Thats how my dH does it when he has a buil up.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
A midwife once told me to put a few drops of olive oil in my ear and then let it soak in a bit, then put about 6 drops of hydrogen peroxide.  I think she told me lay flat until it stopped crackling.  Hydrogen Peroxide works great at dissolving ear wax!  It gets to tickling with all the bubbling from the hydrogen Per. but my kids love it. My son almost begs for me to put it in their ears! :)

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
My ears produce more wax than "average". To the point where I have  to have it removed by a doctor. They use a "waterpick" to blast it out. It hurts. Normal remedies do not work. I have poured more hydrogen peroxide into my ears than I  can keep track of. The only thing that works other than water torture  :o is candling. I know people say there is just as much wax whether you use it or not BUT I have looked at my childrens ears with a scope-thingy(technical jargon  ;)) before using the candles: So much wax you can't see the canal at all. And after: much less wax and you can see the canal. Sometimes my ears get so full of wax I cannot hear. Before that always meant the DR. Last time I used ear candles (it took several) but it cleared my ears w/out the torture. I am a firm believer in what they can do.
LKS

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:06 PM »
Thank you to all of you! I tried the candle once more this evening, with dh nearby. The wax was still there, but a bit softer, so he reached in with the tweezer and pulled out a huge glob from each ear, about 1/4" wide and over 1/2" long!!! :o GROSS! Next time I'll try the hydrogen peroxide first, but my girl liked the candling.

Thanks again!
Visionarymom

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »
I would always seem my grandfather using a bobby pin to clean wax out of his ears, so when I could tell that I had a build-up of wax that had gotten pushed back out of reach, I used some peroxide to loosen it first, then used the bobby pin to pull it out.  Probably not the best method, but it's worked for me a few times...and it's cheap...
Anna
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
Yeah, guilty of the bobby pin action here too. Yikes!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:49 AM »
ditto
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 04:40:46 PM »
I have no more ear candles so I can't test my theory... Maybe somebody else out there can.

Last night we burnt 4 ear candles.... All sitting up with the ear candle parallel to the floor. (sticking straight out of our head). We got NO orangey wax. Just some powder stuff that probably came from the candle.

This morning we burnt 4 ear candles....  I was lying down on the floor with the candle perpendicular to the floor (up and down). I also warmed up my body with a very hot bath before (thus hoping to soften the wax ???). This AM we got TONS of orange goopy stuff inside the ear candle.

Same candles. Diffirent results... and different practices.

SO, could the position of the candle make for less "fake wax" collection? Or was that really wax from the ear?
Truly, the wax that came out is the same color as the wax that is inside the ear. ALSO, looking through a otoscope my husband said he could see much less wax in the ear.

Ideas?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2008, 05:27:41 PM »
Last night we burnt 4 ear candles.... All sitting up with the ear candle parallel to the floor. (sticking straight out of our head). We got NO orangey wax. Just some powder stuff that probably came from the candle.

This morning we burnt 4 ear candles....  I was lying down on the floor with the candle perpendicular to the floor (up and down). I also warmed up my body with a very hot bath before (thus hoping to soften the wax ???). This AM we got TONS of orange goopy stuff inside the ear candle.

Same candles. Diffirent results... and different practices.

SO, could the position of the candle make for less "fake wax" collection? Or was that really wax from the ear?
Truly, the wax that came out is the same color as the wax that is inside the ear. ALSO, looking through a otoscope my husband said he could see much less wax in the ear.

Ideas?

Well, the wax wasn't fake...it was more than likely just the wax from the ear candle that had dripped down inside.  The candles that were burned straight up and down (like a traditional 'dinner table' candle is burned) will drip wax due to gravity.

I've done some reading on this, and it seems to be mostly marketing hype.  My husband is a big fan of all things related to science and fire, and he said that the candle would be pulling oxygen and gasses that surround the flame in the room.  Since most rooms have plenty of oxygen in them, it is highly unlikely that any sort of vacuum is present inside the candle/eardrum.

Another site I found said that the candles work because "vibrations from the flame enter the ear and penetrate the ear drum..."  I just started laughing outloud at that description.  If penetrating vibrations relieve ear wax, I could sell treatments to anyone willing to ride in the back of my van on shopping day. :D
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 09:49:47 AM »
Kristen,
I have always done them lying down w/ the candle perpendicular. We always get tons of gross wax & scoping the ear both before & after can see a visible difference. I have a nasty wax build up problem as do 2 of my children & the candles are the only thing (other than the Doc blasting it w/ a water pik  :P ) that work. I'm a believer.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 10:00:23 AM »
Kristen,
I have always done them lying down w/ the candle perpendicular. We always get tons of gross wax & scoping the ear both before & after can see a visible difference. I have a nasty wax build up problem as do 2 of my children & the candles are the only thing (other than the Doc blasting it w/ a water pik  :P ) that work. I'm a believer.

LKS,
I read your earlier testimony and am so glad they work well for you!
I'm wondering specifically if the position of the candle makes a difference in collection of "fake wax" (wax from the candle) versus wax from the ear.
Oh, and I also read the main help for ear candles is that they loosen the wax so that over the next 1-5 days the wax will fall out on its own.
I think ear candles have benefits also.

Here is what Wally's writes about their own product:
http://www.wallysnatural.com/faq.html

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 10:03:32 AM »
I think the positioning of the candle has something to do w/ creating a "draw" of warm air that softens & pulls up the wax. I am not very scientifically minded so my explanations tend to be pretty lame  ;)

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
I used to be an ear "candler" until marrying my husband. I told him he should try it and he said that he didn't need to. He had ear problems as a child and was (is still, just doesn't get to fly much) a pilot. Flying at high altitudes makes for painful ear problems. But, his dr said that he just needed to clean out his ears in the shower. Stand under the water, making sure to get a direct stream in the ear, with the water as hot as possible, for about a minute. When you get out, gently swab with cotton. Anyway, I bugged him enough about trying the candles, so he finally did. But, he was right; hardly a trace of wax came out of his ear ::).
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
I tested my theory.
The wax found in the ear candle was NOT ear wax. It was just wax dripping from the candle (so, yes.... the claim from the company is correct).

While wax is not being "pulled out" I have noticed marked improvements in my hearing (I had impacted wax).

HTH's somebody.  :)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2008, 10:17:27 AM »
I tested my theory.
The wax found in the ear candle was NOT ear wax. It was just wax dripping from the candle (so, yes.... the claim from the company is correct).

While wax is not being "pulled out" I have noticed marked improvements in my hearing (I had impacted wax).

HTH's somebody.  :)

My dad did that too, because he could not believe that the candle could pull out the wax. He found exactly what you did, that it is just wax dripping from the candle.   :)

Offline hakeber

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 02:21:02 AM »
I don't know about candling, but here in malaysia you can buy blunt wooden picks that work well for digging ears. My mom always digs our ears every few months. She's very careful not to hurt out ear drum and not go very deep.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2009, 07:36:03 AM »
I don't know much about the why and how ear candleing works, but I've been doing it off and on for years whenever my ears hurt and they always take the pain away for awhile.  My ear drums have been busted and are permanently damaged, but candleing always gives me a couple months of relief from the pain.
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »
Yeah, guilty of the bobby pin action here too. Yikes!
I have a dear older friend that has done this and is now very close to being deaf. She said it is from using the bobby pins to clean out her ears. She also get a sound of water running and sloshing as well.