Author Topic: Ear Candles [Candling/Coning]: What, Why & How?  (Read 28214 times)

Offline BigMamaH

• Adept
Ear Candles [Candling/Coning]: What, Why & How?
« on: January 02, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »
My dh and I have these ear candles that we were all excited to get, but after we did we kind of chickened out.  Somebody mentioned to one of us that they are bad for you!??.  The ear candles are just really annoying to store!!  We either want to use them or toss them but we can't figure out which we should do!! So what is your take on them?  Tried them, what do you think?  Could they do more harm than good?  I searched for this topic but didn't find anything other than someone encouraged someone else to give them a try.  If there is already a discussion on this topic just re-direct me please, thanks!
After getting a sticker from the Dr. that said, "GIRLS RULE!" on it my daughter said, "I know what the girl's rule is at our house!  Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right!"

Offline Clementine

• Adept
Re: Ear Candles [Candling/Coning]: What, Why & How?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:42:08 AM »
I have tried ear candling one time.  I had my ears done.  I was a little skeptical about it, but what I noticed was that it really opened up my sinuses.  I have a chronically stuffy nose, but there was a very dramatic change during the candling process.  I've considered trying it again, this time on my son, but haven't yet.  It's not something I would do very often, but I don't think it would be harmful,  if done properly, once in a while.  I think it's one of those things you will just have to try for yourself to see how you like it. 
 :)
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline herbsgalore

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »
We have a wax problem in our home too. Several year ago, we found these wax candles and tried them out. They definitely work and are totally painless!

kaira

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »
I have been interested in that for a while.  I just think it sounds really neat.  In my completely ignorant of any useful knowledge opinion, I say Go For It! ;D

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:08:18 PM »
Guess I have read where these candles can be harmful but  I have used them quite often on my children and a friend that had a really bad ear ache.  I have never had any problems with them.   Some articles say you can't get wax out of your ears that way but when I look at what is in the candle when we are done I can't believe it isn't wax.   :o    As with all these kinds of things we each have to make the best decision that we can based on research and what we know.    :-\   Would hate to advise anyone wrong but it has always worked for us.
God Bless
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »
Sorry if a thread like this already exists. I couldn't find it. Anyway, I have ordered some of these ear cones/candles w/tea tree oil so they have a nice smell/aromatherapy effect while they're burning. But I have never used them and I heard some people say they've nearly set their hair/couch/house on fire with them!  :o This, obviously frightened me so I wondered if there are any here who use them and the safest way to do so. I have heard they're helpful for cleaning out your sinuses and I fight sinus infections A LOT. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 11:38:18 AM »
Here's a related thread...hope it helps.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3998.0.html

Have a great day

Holly

Offline flowergirl

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Tried this once with a friend.  It certainly does clean out your sinuses.  I could feel them draining down the back of my throat.  I remember my nose/sinuses felt very "airy" afterwards.

Just be careful, I highly suggest to have another adult present.  I would also suggest maybe cutting a hole in a paper plate and put the candle through it to add a layer of protection between the candle and your head.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:07:47 PM »
Tried this once with a friend.  It certainly does clean out your sinuses.  I could feel them draining down the back of my throat.  I remember my nose/sinuses felt very "airy" afterwards.

I've never done ear candling before but I would like to try it. Does anyone know where to get them at a reasonable price? I've only seen them for something like $1-2 each & from what I understand you use more than 1 for each ear, the $ would add up fast.

Just be careful, I highly suggest to have another adult present.  I would also suggest maybe cutting a hole in a paper plate and put the candle through it to add a layer of protection between the candle and your head.

The directions I've seen say to use an disposable aluminum pie pan as protection between the candle & your head. A paper plate might catch fire.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Noisyvillage

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:12:49 PM »
We tried this with my 12 year old son.  It certainly seemed to work......or did it?  That sure looked like wax...or was it just from the candle itself?  I'm not convinced either way, but if you google "ear candling hoax" you might read some other opinions on this.

Offline maideninwaiting

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »
Oh, I didn't realize it took more than one candle for each ear. How many does it normally take?
I did read on the site that I bought them from that it is a myth that the candles draw out the wax- but instead the heat loosens the ear wax and helps it flow out naturally/easier. It also said that little or no wax was collected in the bottom of the candle, but that was instead the melted candle wax and debris.
"I am the LORD: For they shall not be ashamed that wait for me." Isaiah 49:23

Offline BigMeanMamma

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 02:15:16 PM »
  It certainly seemed to work......or did it?  That sure looked like wax...or was it just from the candle itself?

I really wondered about this too so I burned a few candles without putting them in anyone's ear. Then I cut a slit down the remainder and found loads of brown wax that looked just like ear wax and flaky stuff that the health food store people say is yeast coming out of your ears. I worked at the health food store and thought that was true untill I tried burning one on its own.

Having said all that, I do think its possible that the ear candles could help ear problems. Perhaps the action of the smoke can kill some things?  I've heard of people blowing smoke in the ear too. Maybe its the same.

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 10:52:57 AM »
Ear candles do not pull wax out of your ears. There are lots of sites that can back this up. I have read, though, that they can be good for ear infections and stuff like that.
It is pretty rare for damage to happen while candling. You just have to make sure they don't get too close to your ears and burn the insides! I would think this would only be a problem with small children. ::) 

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 11:05:17 AM »
 IMO they are a hoax. They won't hurt you but doen't expect them to help either. We have burned many of them and my DCs ears are always just as full afterward,even if the candle gets "full".After burning one without having it in an ear and having it too fill up with "wax",
  We concluded that the candles themselves produce this fine yellow powder. ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:37:52 PM by kamom »

Offline atthebeginning

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
We either want to use them or toss them but we can't figure out which we should do!!
Both of my roommates claim that ear candles have worked for them, and they were sure that the wax left in the tray was actually ear wax.
However, I looked at a couple sites, quack watch for one -
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html
- and they have some pretty convincing arguments as to why this can't work, and what is really being left behind in the ear candle. It's something to consider.
~ATB
I wander still.  But the world is round.
~C. S. Lewis

truth - beauty - goodness

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »
We either want to use them or toss them but we can't figure out which we should do!!
Both of my roommates claim that ear candles have worked for them, and they were sure that the wax left in the tray was actually ear wax.
However, I looked at a couple sites, quack watch for one -
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/candling.html
- and they have some pretty convincing arguments as to why this can't work, and what is really being left behind in the ear candle. It's something to consider.
~ATB
About Quackwatch
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 12:58:38 PM »
My sister was totally sold on ear candles.  She just was so thrilled with how they cleaned out their ears.  After I bought some when I was visiting her and then that evening watched her use one, I just would not and could not believe the amount of "wax" it pulled out of the ear!  She was completely convinced and so we tried an experiment and just burned one outside of anyone's ear.  Well, guess what!?!?!  There was just as much "wax" residue on the "non ear" candle as there had been on the ear one.  SO, I would say that what you see inside the candle after burning is NOT ear wax.  That is not to say, however, that they aren't beneficial.  They very well might be, just don't be fooled into thinking that that is the wax out of the ear.  My experience, my opinion.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
My sister was totally sold on ear candles.  She just was so thrilled with how they cleaned out their ears.  After I bought some when I was visiting her and then that evening watched her use one, I just would not and could not believe the amount of "wax" it pulled out of the ear!  She was completely convinced and so we tried an experiment and just burned one outside of anyone's ear.  Well, guess what!?!?!  There was just as much "wax" residue on the "non ear" candle as there had been on the ear one.  SO, I would say that what you see inside the candle after burning is NOT ear wax.  That is not to say, however, that they aren't beneficial.  They very well might be, just don't be fooled into thinking that that is the wax out of the ear.  My experience, my opinion.
Very intelligent and well thought out experiment.  Thanks for sharing.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lynn

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
I've only used ear candles once.  They're kind of freaky but they made my ears feel great.  I don't know if they pulled out any wax but they really made my ears pop and it felt good, like they were loosening up a bunch of junk in there :o I have a really bad ear ache as we speak and I'm getting ready to use one, I just have to get my sweet husband to fire watch, (ha, ha) I don't want to ignite my hair.  I'll let you know if they help with the pain ;)

Offline Alicia

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 12:54:31 PM »
Do you think ear candles help with sinus drainage? I also have had my ears irrigated at a doctor's office twice because my canals are so small that they don't drain properly. I hear so much back and forth on this. Does anyone else know if it will help with drainage and sinus issues?

Offline gwennon

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 03:40:11 PM »
I have a friend with four small children who swears by ear candles and spends a lot of money buying them.  She claims that they are great for pulling out stubborn ear infections.  So, with this in mind, I bought a couple, which I then used on my four-year-old son while he slept.  After that one use, the symptoms all disappeared.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my teenage daughters burn a couple of ear candles in my ears, and during the process, I felt a slight suction and felt that some kind of residue was being pulled from my ears.  However, because the girls weren't terribly happy about helping with something so "gross", I think I got a rather inferior result.  It helps to have someone who knows what they are doing, or is at least interested in what you are doing, to help you because this is always a two-person job.  Unless you want to burn your hair, catch the house on fire, etc.  I hope in the future to find a better assistant and try the whole thing again.

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »
In trying to get rid of incessant congestion in my ear canals and eustachian tubes, I looked at ear candles, but never ended up using them (this discussion has made me consider it again!). But here's an article I found discussing what ear candles actually do, by one of the natural health companies that makes ear candles.

http://www.wallysnatural.com/faq.html

Basically, they explain that ear candles don't "suck out" the ear wax, that what is on the candle is in fact from the candle, BUT they soften the wax inside the ear so that it drains out as it's supposed to...interesting thought.

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 05:22:06 AM »
A friend of mine tried this same thing.  :) She just held on to it as it was burning, then when it was done she cut it open, and it had just as much wax "stuff" in it as when you put it in your ear. I personally have never tried them, but I don't think I will be.
Zephaniah 3:17

Offline Alicia

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 06:14:00 AM »
purewellspring,
Thanks for the link. It gave a lot of good information.
I wish I knew someone who could help me try ear candles. I really want to try it. I live with my aunt and I don't think she would be comfortable helping me with that. Perhaps I can find a natural health practitioner who does it.
In any case, this thread has been most helpful. Hopefully I can try ear candling in the near future to see if it works for me.
Thanks

Offline debbiez

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 06:18:39 AM »
Hi Everybody,
   I LOVE ear candles.My Dh and I do them about twice a year.I have alot of wax in my ears.When we do the candles in my ears you would not believe the junk that comes out.My sis ,parents,MiL and Dh say they have never seen so much stuff in the candle.Mine has wax and alot of yellow powder.The yellow powder is some kind of buildup.Forgot what they told me. Anywho you do candles on the rest of the family and there is not half as much stuff in there. My ears are sensitive so we do the recommended two in mine and just one in Dh.To make sure we get all the junk out.
                             Debbiez ;)
Wife to my loving husband!!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 06:41:12 AM »
A friend of mine tried this same thing.  :) She just held on to it as it was burning, then when it was done she cut it open, and it had just as much wax "stuff" in it as when you put it in your ear. I personally have never tried them, but I don't think I will be.

My husband Patrick did the same with the same results.They cost to much to do no good.

So what else can we do?

Em

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »
One thing about ear candles is you have to do at least 6 on one ear for it to have any effect.  I don't know how much wax they actually pull out of the ears, but that is not what we use them for.  When my husband and son have severe sinus congestion, we use them then.  They do help with earaches.  It is a very gentle suction, so you are not going to see immediate results.
I have a very good friend who was very sick with sinus congestion and infection.  She had so much pain in her head.  She used 12 ear candles in one ear and could gradually feel the pain moving through her head.  If finally settled right below her ear, and that night she had tons of nasty drainage out of that ear.  The next day she was much better.
A lot of evidence in favor of ear candles is anecdotal, but that doesn't mean they don't work.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline bzymom

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »
We've used ear candles off and on for quite a few years.  I had always had my kiddos lay down and held the candle straight up.  I could never tell if the residue left was ear wax or not. 
This spring my 5yo was having a REALLY hard time hearing, and was always complaining of her ears being plugged.  I bought a package and read the insert since it had been several years since we had done this.  The instructions in the package told me to have her sit upright and hold the candle horizontally.  That first candle had a very definite line of yellow ear wax, 2-3 inches up into the candle, and no powdery residue.  I repeated with another candle, and there was no wax, and still no residue.  The wax from the first candle felt like wax, was the same color and texture.  Just like someone had taken a large ball and rolled it out.  Never had that happen before.  I'm curious if it was because of the angle the candle was held?
Anyway, just our experience with them.  At what angle does everyone else hold them?  Vertically, or horizontally?

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
hello, I just tried the ear candles, and I am still not convinced nor am I sold out. But I did want to say, that while I was doing it, I felt hunks (if you will) come out of my ear. As they (the 2 hunks) were comming out it hurt a little. More uncomfortable than painful.
 As the first one began to surfice I freaked out... DO NOT DO THIS! I thought wax went into my ear. I almost caught the carpet on fire. OOPS!
 Anyways, I did feel the "hunks" moving out of my ear. Like it was being drawn out or something. Very weird indeed!
 I would like to try it again.
AND oh yeah, I almost forgot... I have had slight hearing  problem in my left ear. It is real hard to here on the phone with that ear, so after doing the candle I did the "phone test" ......and I can hear better  in that ear. humm?
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 06:10:08 AM »
Is this a procedure that you can do alone, or would someone have to help?
  My favorite herb book!!