Author Topic: Everything About Juicers & Juicing  (Read 40106 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Everything About Juicers & Juicing
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2006, 10:02:34 AM »
I am satisfied with it for making bread but not when it comes to baking, just isn't fine enough. I don't notice a difference in my bread though at all.

Could you clarify what you mean? 
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2006, 10:15:21 AM »
I have the same dry canister and it grinds very well.  I also use my berries frozen and have used it to knead the dough successfully.  I do it by hand now since I "soak" the dough overnight.  Our whole grain bread isn't coarse or gritty at all.  Soaking does contribute to that, but even before I read about that in NT, my loaves were fluffy.  I use my Vita-Mix for so many of the things listed, too.  Blender pancakes and muffins turn out well, too.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »
My Dh bought me a Vita-mix. I love it!! I use it many times a day. It is so much more powerful than a blender. My Dh loves gravy over everything. It can be tricky to thicken gravy using whole grains but the vita mix makes it so easy. I just put everything in and turn it on. The blades turn so fast they cook the gravy and it never scorches. I wanted a Vitamix instead of a juicer because I didn't want to wast all the pulp. We love having shakes to go with breakfast and they turn out so smooth. Our favorite dessert is strawberry icecream. Four cups frozen strawberries, One cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup raw honey. Yummy! It was very expensive but for us it's been well worth it!

Does it have some kind of heat setting.  How can you claim it moves fast enough to cook something from the friction, but be able to make ice cream as well.  I'm confused.

The blades turn fast enough that they cause alot of heat from friction. It will boil water although usually when you make soups or gravy you start with hot water or milk to speed up the process. To make icecream you use frozen fruit or icecubes and don't process as long. It makes more of a soft serve icecream.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:12:30 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2006, 12:54:46 PM »
dh of migratingoose,

Thank you for that somewhat lengthy and very technical explanation.  It was very informative.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ahsmom3x

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 02:23:27 PM »
We have had a Vita-Mix for about 3 years. It was worth the many months of saving for one and then waiting until we went to the State Fair, where we got a great deal, with a few things thrown in. We also paid extra for a DRY container, so that we could grind grain in it for making bread. This has been well worth it.

There is one thing I do not like about it. I find it hard to get all my goodies out of it. For instance, when I make Oat Blender Pancakes in it or Brown Rice Waffle batter, not all of the batter comes out, it's hard to scrape the bottom of it clean. If the item is thicker, it can be a pain. This is a minor detail though, for all the good stuff it has helped me produce for my family.

When our oldest was 5, he saw lightening bugs for the first time and asked " Mommy, do they have batteries in them?"

Nickole

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 03:43:35 PM »
Does anyone have the stainless steal 3600 model?  That's what I have and apparently "back then" (WAY back then according to the clothing and hair style of the girl in the book it came with) it did not have a wet and dry canister/pitcher/whatever.  SOO it says it will grind grain and although I use it to grind beans and grains and such to make porridge I ground flour once to make the sourdough bread in NT and the bread was hard as a rock.  I thought it was because the flour wasn't very fine, but someone just told me lately that that would have nothing to do with the bread being hard.  Has anyone had success making sourdough with flour ground in the VitaMix?  I just bought 350 pounds of grain and I am really hoping that maybe I don't need to buy a grinder after all!  (Even though the VitaMix sounds like a jet)

Follow up - grinds grain just fine!  YAY!!!!

I only have one canister.

You can get it on ebay - that's where I got mine!  Under $200 with shipping I remember.  Used.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:47:06 PM by Nickole »

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »
Okay, I need any and all information you can give me about juicers. Our family would like to get one, but we don't know much about them. If you could tell me what brand you have, what you like/don't like about it, things/combinations your family likes to make with it, and any other information that you can give, it would be very helpful! There are so many options out there, we aren't quite where to start looking! :)
Zephaniah 3:17

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2006, 08:58:46 AM »
My husband would answer this better, but he isn't back from his deployment yet.  We bought a juicer earlier this year.  My husband did all of the research on it, as he was planning to do a juice fast.  We ended up buying a centrifugal juicer, but a higher end one.  It is a Breville 800 class juicer.  This type of juicer is said to not do leafy vegetables very well.  Though the results with leafy things are not as good as with other things, I think it does pretty good.  I haven't used it much since he left, though I should.  I can tell you that a little fresh garlic goes a long way, and the same goes for hot peppers.  ;D  I've never used any other kind of juicer, so I don't have anything to compare our to.  It is easy to clean, though much more so if it is cleaned right after using instead of waiting.  There are certainly a lot of cheaper centrifugal juicers, but I don't know if they would work as well as this one.  ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 04:56:29 AM »
My husband would answer this better, but he isn't back from his deployment yet.  We bought a juicer earlier this year.  My husband did all of the research on it, as he was planning to do a juice fast.  We ended up buying a centrifugal juicer, but a higher end one.  It is a Breville 800 class juicer.  This type of juicer is said to not do leafy vegetables very well.  Though the results with leafy things are not as good as with other things, I think it does pretty good.  I haven't used it much since he left, though I should.  I can tell you that a little fresh garlic goes a long way, and the same goes for hot peppers.  ;D  I've never used any other kind of juicer, so I don't have anything to compare our to.  It is easy to clean, though much more so if it is cleaned right after using instead of waiting.  There are certainly a lot of cheaper centrifugal juicers, but I don't know if they would work as well as this one.  ???

Check the thread:  Vitamix vs Juicers
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 06:01:52 AM »
We have a Champion commercial model.  It is my second Champion - the first was a regular home model and worked just fine but I loaned it to a friend who decided to keep it and gave us the money to replace it.  When I did, I upgraded, not so much cuz I need the extra power but I figured the bigger model would last longer and handle the juicing better.  And they have new colors now.  :-)

I like them.  Yes, you lose some pulp but we prefer it that way.  The pulp we lose is very dry, so I know we are getting a vast majority of the liquid and personally for my whole family, drinking juice that had all that thick pulp left in it would not be as appetizing and we would probably "give up".  So, while there may be some health advantage to having the pulp, I figure since we like this juice and will drink it daily, that is better than getting frustrated and stopping.

I also found that the Champion was a good quality for a decent price - we just could not justify the cost of the more expensive juicers or vitamix.  And I haven't found anything yet it can't do and checked some consumer reports and it seems to rate well compared to even the more expensive juicers.

That's my experience.  :-)
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 06:06:27 AM »
I also think that a champion would be the way to go.  It is a great juicer and really extracts your juice!  Personally, I have a green star juicer.  It is the top of the line and cost $400.  We spent that much because we wanted it for medicional reasons to help my blind daughters eyes.  The champion was our second choice, but costs less than half, so it is a much better choice for the average family 8).   We did a lot of study, and decided that the green star and Champion would be our only options. 

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »
I have an omega 5008, It hink it's 5000. anyway.  It does other stuff besides juice.  www.mercola.com has a price comparison table on juicers.  course this is the one he endorses......he also recommends putting the pulp back in the juice.  I did that the other day was kinda like soup. I put a tblsp of coconut oil in it too and put it in a pretty glass.  ;D Wasn't too bad. Course it was carrot which he doesn't recommend.  The only draw about this one I would say is you do have to cut most stuff up pretty small but it does do citrus which I really do like. (grapefruit)it will grind wheat and coffe beans and frozen fruit and it will do the grass. it also extruds pasta dough.  haven't done all of that.  I also found mine cheaper than ordering on his website.  HTH

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
I have a juiceman juicer. I really like it.  I guess it doesnt have all the bells and whistles the big name models have, but it works great for me.  The only think that might be a con about is the metal part inside that grinds and separates is a pain to clean if you dont have a bristle scrubber brush.  Thats my 2 cents.

Offline strawberrypeach

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
Thank you all so much for your replies! Keep them coming!

Zephaniah 3:17

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2006, 06:45:29 PM »
I also have a Breville.  I love it because you don't have to cut up hardly anything.  It takes whole apples (the small ones) :o :o :o  It is very powerful and cost about $150.00.  I got mine at our local Gottschalks store, but you can buy them on their online store also.  We juice carrots every morning.  We add an apple or two to add flavor.  Yes, rinse the machine right after using it or it is more difficult to clean.  That's the only bummer about the juicer.  It is big and a pain to clean every morning.  Also, we don't juice our citrus peels.  Yuck!  We tried a whole orange without peeling it and it was disgusting! :-\

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2006, 11:46:03 AM »
All of you who grind flour in the Vita-mix:

Do you have a Professional Series or the Home Blender (like Turboblend)? I have the Turboblend & cannot find in the manual whether it can handle grains.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:07 AM »
(Even though the VitaMix sounds like a jet)

Then again, so does my wheat grinder...

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2006, 10:05:17 AM »
When my husband and I got married we lived with his folks for 6 mos.  They had a vitamix and I think everything that comes out of that machine tastes like heaven.  We'd come home and throw in a few pieces of vegetables and out would pop this warm smooth soup.  We'd wake up and throw in a few fruits and yogurt and out would come these cool smoothies.  SMOOTH.  It was the best.  Of course we cannot afford one and found a Betty Crocker juicer for free and it, um, it was found lacking...

If you have the money, go with the vitamix.  You get what you pay for.  My husband's parents said they bought it when Pete was little so they've had theirs for 30 years.  They have the stainless steel cup, although I think they come with lexan cups (pitchers) now.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »
BlendTec's are also really, really great... and expensive. Sometimes you can find commercial BlendTec's on ebay.com for $200... which, amazingly, is a good price.

http://www.blendtec.com/

--gabe

...oh, I already mentioned Blend Tec in this thread... oops.

Nickole

« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2006, 12:05:32 PM »
I personally would recommend an older stainless steel model like I have.  I think it is safer than the lexan - I'd be a little worried since things heat up VERY hot in that machine, that the chemicals in the plastic would leach into the food.  I have a pitcher with a spout but this older model ONLY came with that and I have the manual (more like a book) with it, which only shows one pitcher.  So this pitcher is used for grinding grain as well as smoothies and other wet stuff.  Mine is the Vita-Mix 3600 model.

I also got a Champion juicer given to me, which is great fun!     

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2006, 09:23:46 AM »
All of you who grind flour in the Vita-mix:

Do you have a Professional Series or the Home Blender (like Turboblend)? I have the Turboblend & cannot find in the manual whether it can handle grains.

*bump*

Offline ahsmom3x

• Learning
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2006, 11:48:38 AM »
I have been grinding grain in our vita-mix for the last three years. We have the 5000 model. We also were told to buy the dry-container. The blades are different than the wet. When we bought it 5 years ago, we weren't offered a stainless steel pitcher. Keep in mind that although the vita-mix does a great job of grinding grain, it doesn't come out to be fine flour. It's a bit more "grainy". It's fine for making bread though and anything else you want to make. I always pre-sift my flour before putting it in my batter, in the event something didn't completely grind. I recently bought a Nurtimill, which grinds my grain to a fine flour.
When our oldest was 5, he saw lightening bugs for the first time and asked " Mommy, do they have batteries in them?"

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2006, 03:21:43 PM »
I have been grinding grain in our vita-mix for the last three years. We have the 5000 model. We also were told to buy the dry-container. The blades are different than the wet. When we bought it 5 years ago, we weren't offered a stainless steel pitcher. Keep in mind that although the vita-mix does a great job of grinding grain, it doesn't come out to be fine flour. It's a bit more "grainy". It's fine for making bread though and anything else you want to make. I always pre-sift my flour before putting it in my batter, in the event something didn't completely grind. I recently bought a Nurtimill, which grinds my grain to a fine flour.

Thanks! I guess I'll probably need to put that on my list of things to purchase. I would like to have the versatility of a mill.

Nickole

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2006, 05:25:34 PM »

I thought it seemed more coarse too but then I brought the flour to a friend who has an excellent, expensive Magic Mill to compare, and it was comparable.  I was wondering why it wasn't as fine as store-bought flour, but apparently freshly ground won't be.  I follow the directions to a T and the flour works great!

PMESguy

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
A juicer like the Omega 8005 uses a low rpm auger to slowly extract the juice. The benefit of this is that it works like your teeth to chew the fiber down. Therefore the enzymatic content as well as the nutrients are not rapidly oxidized. This is a completely different animal than a high speed blender.

Offline kentuckymommy

• KentuckyMommy
  • Adept
    • The Path Less Traveled
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2006, 05:25:04 PM »
Hi there! I have a juicer and vita-mix. The juicer is a champion from ebay and we bought our vitamix from a friend when their family went on the mission field to Mexico/ South Texas in their bus! So both were outstanding deals! I love my juicer for nut butters and  veggie juices, sometimes I add back the pulp. BUT....my most loved appliance is my Vitamix! ( I also love my food processor- the vitamix pulverizes the veggies when I want to make salsas and such!) I use my vitamix everyday! Seriously!!! I use it for guacamole, nut stuffers(tacoey filling from th Rejuvenate Your Life Cookbook), ice creams from fruit, homemade condiments, and also my chunkier nut butters. Hope that helps!
Ashley, sweetheart to Jesse and mamabear to five little babes...Emily Grace (10), Jeremiah David (8.5), Joshua Caleb (6), Bethany Joy (3.5), and Jonathan Paul (14 months)!

Dear hubby scared Miah when we was 18 months and Miah told Daddy," You carin' me dad, you care!" Very cute!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »
I am interested in buying a wheat grinder, but don't have the money right now.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the attachment that comes with the champion juicer.  I do have a champion juicer and discovered the grain attachment to buy for it is much cheaper than a whole new wheat grinder.  But, I also don't want to waste my money.  So I'd like any advice anyone could give me as far as does it grind good enough for bread and baking, how fast does it grind, would you recommend it, etc.  We have four children, ages 5 and under.  So it's not like we'd be going through a loaf of bread at every meal.  ;)  In other words, I don't need top of the line right now.  NOW, in ten years maybe. ;D

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 01:02:56 PM »
There's also a grain mill attachment for a Kitchen-Aid mixer if you have one of those (I don't but my dear friend does).  And I saw some affordable hand crank mills at villaware.com and walton feed.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
How long does your juice stay good?  Does it need to down fresh each time?  I would like to juice in the evenings, and then be able to just pull it out of the fridge for breakfast. 
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
How long does your juice stay good?  Does it need to down fresh each time?  I would like to juice in the evenings, and then be able to just pull it out of the fridge for breakfast. 

That would be fine.  I have kept juice 2-3 days without a problem.