Author Topic: Everything About Juicers & Juicing  (Read 40834 times)

Offline Tanya in TX

• Learning
Everything About Juicers & Juicing
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
Hi ladies!
My hubby and I are considering/investigating purchasing a Vita Mix. I was wondering what are the differences/benefits of this machine versus a juicer?  I understand that the Vita Mix uses up ALL the fruit or veggie, whereas the juicer doesn't use the pulp.

What are the pros and cons either way??  How do I know for sure, HA?  A Vita Mix is a pretty expensive investment.

THANKS!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Everything About Juicers & Juicing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
i bought a juicer, but i really wish i had bought a vita mix.  it seems they are much more versitile.  just my 2 cents!  :)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:48:13 PM »
Hi ladies!
My hubby and I are considering/investigating purchasing a Vita Mix. I was wondering what are the differences/benefits of this machine versus a juicer?  I understand that the Vita Mix uses up ALL the fruit or veggie, whereas the juicer doesn't use the pulp.

What are the pros and cons either way??  How do I know for sure, HA?  A Vita Mix is a pretty expensive investment.

THANKS!

Juice without pulp loses a lot of it's nutrients and also the natural fibers that help digestion.  Taking the pulp out of the juice also increases your sugar to nutrients ratio. 

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »
My Dh bought me a Vita-mix. I love it!! I use it many times a day. It is so much more powerful than a blender. My Dh loves gravy over everything. It can be tricky to thicken gravy using whole grains but the vita mix makes it so easy. I just put everything in and turn it on. The blades turn so fast they cook the gravy and it never scorches. I wanted a Vitamix instead of a juicer because I didn't want to wast all the pulp. We love having shakes to go with breakfast and they turn out so smooth. Our favorite dessert is strawberry icecream. Four cups frozen strawberries, One cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup raw honey. Yummy! It was very expensive but for us it's been well worth it!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:03:01 PM »
When you said "expensive" you weren't kidding  :o  would anyone have any suggestions on another similar appliance for about 1/10 the cost?  (my car cost less than that) OUCH!  :-\  Couldn't you use a food processor and accomplish the same thing  ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:33:56 AM »
We couldn't afford a vita-mix, in spite of being interested in one too, so we went to epinions (a web site where you can review other people's opinions about products- it's free) and looked it up. We ended up getting a Juice Lady brand blender new on e-bay for $60. It is a really powerful blender, and so far has tackled everything we've put in it, from ice for smoothies, to hummus. I haven't tried totally liquifying fruit like a juicer would, though. I can't imagine it would juice carrots.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 02:42:55 PM »
We couldn't afford a vita-mix, in spite of being interested in one too, so we went to epinions (a web site where you can review other people's opinions about products- it's free) and looked it up. We ended up getting a Juice Lady brand blender new on e-bay for $60. It is a really powerful blender, and so far has tackled everything we've put in it, from ice for smoothies, to hummus. I haven't tried totally liquifying fruit like a juicer would, though. I can't imagine it would juice carrots.

Wow, thanks!  I've seen those super duper food choppers on TV infomercials and I've wanted to try one.  They may be cheesy, but they sure put on a good show - even my hubby thinks so.  I don't do mail order or internet ordering much, so I've just stuck to my $10 Black and Decker food chopper and my little cheesy blender I got for a wedding gift.  Someday though... ;) 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 03:05:28 AM »
I dont personally have a vita mix but my mom used to make some killer whole wheat bread in it. theya re defintly worth it!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 02:55:45 AM »
We recently borrowed a juicer from a friend and my husband wants to buy it from her!! Fresh apple/carrot/strawberry/orange juice in the a.m.?? Talk about pleasing your man!! He's practically waiting for me at the counter salivating counting the minutes till he gets his 'morning energy drink.  My Pediatrician thinks we changed doctors because we're
hi freshisbest!  don't know if you'd like to elaborate on juicing in a new thread, but i would love more information.  i have a juicer sitting in a cupboard downstairs that i bought off ebay and never used.  it's an old Champion.  where do i start and how do you get around fruit being so expensive? my daughter loves to make smoothies, i'd love to give my kids the health benefits of juicing.   :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 06:17:36 AM by healthybratt »
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 12:42:11 PM »
We juice greens just about every day.  My husband usually does it before work and makes enough for all of us.  He juices red leaf, green leaf and romaine lettuces, spinach, a cucumber, celery and any other greens we might have around like dandelion or swiss chard or whatever came out of the garden that week.  One thing we learned is that if you are making "green" juice, don't try to sweeten it up with fruit because it will taste YUCK!  Just go with the vegetable taste.  We actually like this stuff now, even my kids drink it with breakfast.  If someone is sick you can throw in a clove of garlic, too.
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 01:17:40 PM »
I have a Breville juicer and LOVE it :P  We juice almost every morning.  We always juice carrots because they are SO good for you.  Most grocery stores sell large bags of juicing carrots for real cheap.  They are the disfigured carrots that they can't sell otherwise.  I throw in a couple of small apples (whole) to add some more flavor and then usually a pear or an orange.  There are several good juicing books out there.  Mine is called "Juicing For Life" and it gives juicing remedies for every ailment you can think of.  I don't make smoothies with my juicer ( I have a seperate smoothie maker) and I don't use the pulp (although I am told it is very good for you).

This winter season we have been the healthiest ever.  I think it's from juicing. :)  

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 02:20:16 PM »
I think I've finally decided that the first expensive machine I buy for the sake of our health will be some kind of juice machine.  I would like to use the pulp and be able to add yogurt or possibly even ice to the mix.  Basically, I just want to dump stuff in and drink it all.  Can someone recommend a good strong juicer/mixer/whatever for less than $100 (hopefully a lot less)?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 02:23:39 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 02:28:30 PM »
my daughter and i were thinking about drinking the juice, and then putting the pulp in the blender with some kefir or yogurt, banana, etc. and then using that too.

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:16:59 PM »
Can someone recommend a good strong juicer/mixer/whatever for less than $100 (hopefully a lot less)?

Like I said in my post we have the Breville.  It's extremely powerful.  The best part about it is you can put whole apples in it (no chopping, yeah!) :)  Yum Yum We love it  :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 07:13:31 PM »
Like I said in my post we have the Breville.  It's extremely powerful.  The best part about it is you can put whole apples in it (no chopping, yeah!) :)  Yum Yum We love it  :P

Whole apples sounds awesome.  I looked it up though and it was $150+.  I guess that's way cheaper than the vitamix, but...I'm just not sure I want to spend that much  :-\ 

Have you tried chopping anything else?  If I'm going to get hubby to pay that much, it better do more than chop apples  ;D  My test subjects would be grains, coffee beans and ginger root (almost impossible to chop in my processor because of the root strings).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 06:50:45 AM »
Have you tried chopping anything else?  If I'm going to get hubby to pay that much, it better do more than chop apples  ;D  My test subjects would be grains, coffee beans and ginger root (almost impossible to chop in my processor because of the root strings).
Wow, I never thought of running coffee beans or grains through the juicer. I have stuck to fruits, veggies, and fresh herbs :)
I got mine at our local Gottschalks store on sale for $99.99.  I see www.Gottschalks.com has them on sale for $129.99.  I found a few new ones on Ebay.  The best was item#4456294982 right now for $70.00 plus $15.00 shipping.  It has 2 days 8 hours left on the auction.  It is brand new but does not come in the original box.  Check it out.  It's worth the money ;)

Offline TruthSeeker

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 06:52:47 AM »
Oops!  I forgot to mention there are a couple Breville juicers out there.  Mine is the JE900  :)

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 08:17:36 AM »
I have heard the suggestion of putting up a Wanted notice for juicers at your local health food store. A lot of people buy them and never use them, and would be glad to get rid of them.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Gabe Rising

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 07:13:42 PM »
This will not help at all in the "cheap" department, but another alternative to VitaMix is BlendTec.

Wow, these are great... wow, they are expensive too!

--gabe

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 02:56:31 PM »
Hi all!  Just wondering what the benefit of jucing is as opposed to eating raw fruits and veggies whole. 

I was researching a juicer because I just discovered that, if it's in juice form, my daughter will actually get her veggies!!!!  She has been eating primarily bread and cheese and, of course, chocolate and sweets of any kind.  But, Daddy pulled out a glass of tomato juice and she tasted and loved it!  Hurray!  The main reason I would get one is to give her the servings of fruits and veggies that she needs, but buying V8 may be a cheaper alternative.

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »
My kids enjoyed V8 when they got a sample at Sam's  (We love going to Sam's and eating all of the wonderful samples  ;D)  V8 has a high sodium content  Juicing your own would allow you to control the sodium level and use natural salt. 
having a baby" border="0

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 04:37:09 PM »
WEll, I don't know how to put a link in here from another website so....mercola has a comparison table of juicers.  I have the omega 8005.  It is 259 however I think I paid 234 from another website than his.  probly the omega site but if you go to www.mercola.com and then just type omega 8005 juicer in the search it will bring up the comparison table.  The only think I don't like about mine is that you do have to cut things up b/c it is a small hole for the juice but they say something like small pieces juice better.  Mine juices and I can mush up frozen fruit, grind coffee beans make my own nut butters and it even has things that you can do your own pasta.  Not that I have made all that stuff but it is available.  You could grind your own wheat too but I think it would be time consuming.  Just thought I would throw this out there if anyone is interested. Sorry I don't know how to make the link here, that would be easier for you but I don't know how.  Maybe SOMEONE can enlighten me.....HB  :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
Maybe SOMEONE can enlighten me.....HB

cut and paste the url into your post.  then highlight it with the cursor and click on the little globe button (insert hyperlink).

My favorite herb book!!

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2006, 07:54:12 PM »
I bought a Breville juicer (my first one) and really like it.  I also purchased it from Gottschalk's for $99.  Although, I am now using my blender much more to make green smoothies.  Juicing is good, but you need the fiber from the pulp.  That's why I blend leafy greens (usually spinach) and fruit together (very tasty) daily and then maybe juice once a week (my hubby juices more than I do-he likes carrots and apples together).  Can anyone recommend a good glass blender that's not too pricey- maybe around $100 or less)?  I haven't bought a blender in years, so I have no idea what a good one costs!?!?
As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Nickole

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 05:12:41 PM »
I got my Vita Mix off ebay and I do like it.  We did make veggies shakes from it but haven't in a while, which I really need to again before my kids lose their taste for green slime.  :P  It was quite thick but they "liked" it.  I really need to start that again.  We use it for "ice cream" (kefir/fruit/vanilla/honey) and fruit shakes.  Also to grind grain for the five-grain breakfast porridge in Nourishing Traditions.  I THOUGHT I could use it for a grain grinder too, but NOOOOO - it does not grind grains fine enough for breadmaking.  If anyone else had better luck PLEASE let me know.  Anyway, I really need to look at the multipage manual (more like book) more (it's been years since I got it, sheesh) to explore the possibilities of this machine.  Oh, as a bonus, it looks really cool on your counter!  8)  Everyone always asks about it.

Follow up - I thought it ground grain too coarse, but nope - I grind my grain in it all the time and make GREAT bread!

Smoothies ARE sOOOOOOO smooth....

Be sure and take apart the spout to clean it every time - or else it gets really gross.

Nickole       
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 01:45:13 PM by Nickole »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 03:56:26 AM »
I have the omega 8005 that mercola recommends.  It is pretty versatile as far as it will juice and grind things.  Mercola doesn't recommend juicing carrots at all but he does say he adds his pulp back in after juicing.  He said you can start by adding it in a little each time until you get used to it and eventually you are eating your juice.  Doesn't sound tooo appetizing but good for you I guess.  It will mush frozen fruit too.  I have a hamilton beach blender/smoothie maker.  It's purty powr'ful.   :)  It does chop frozen food and I have chopped walnuts in it.  It does say you can make anything from baby food to grinding coffee.  However for chopping veggies(raw)it does recommend putting water in it so I dont' know if it would make "juice"  It was about 60 bucks I think. 

Offline Sonja

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 05:26:13 AM »
I had been wanting a Vita-Mix for about 4 years.  We go to our local state fair nearly every year where they have a demo booth up.  We would stand and watch in amazement and then get to sample the yummies.  Well, last year my hubby bought me one at the fair!  I was so blessed.  We use it often.  Here's my list:  soup, smoothies, ice cream, peanut butter (often), waffles, pancakes, muffins, grinding wheat (good enough for things like muffins, etc....and was okay, in a pinch, for bread), salsa (YUMMY! :) ), guacamole, chopping veggies.  Oh we've also made something more like a juice, but I like lots of ice in it.  I just put all kinds of whole fruits in it with a bit of water and ice.  Just plop a whole apple in, seeds and all, minus the stem.  I think I also added grapes, orange, and I can't remember what else.

We live near a Costco and they will periodically have a demo booth there.  I'm at Costco nearly every week or at least every other week.  Anyway, I love it when they have a booth there because I can just stand and watch for new ideas.  If it's not busy, I even get to talk to the salesman to get tips, etc.  I've had mine for almost a year.  The fair is coming up again and I'm sure we'll watch for a bit to get new ideas.  Can you tell I just love my Vita-Mix?!! :P

Love, Sonja

Offline TomatoMom

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 06:14:39 AM »
Why don't you use your vita mixer on bread?  Is that why my bread doesn't do too well?  I do wish it ground the flour finer, but it is all I have.  We bought used on ebay, and that made it more affordable!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 07:23:30 AM »
My Dh bought me a Vita-mix. I love it!! I use it many times a day. It is so much more powerful than a blender. My Dh loves gravy over everything. It can be tricky to thicken gravy using whole grains but the vita mix makes it so easy. I just put everything in and turn it on. The blades turn so fast they cook the gravy and it never scorches. I wanted a Vitamix instead of a juicer because I didn't want to wast all the pulp. We love having shakes to go with breakfast and they turn out so smooth. Our favorite dessert is strawberry icecream. Four cups frozen strawberries, One cup plain yogurt and 1/4 cup raw honey. Yummy! It was very expensive but for us it's been well worth it!

Does it have some kind of heat setting.  How can you claim it moves fast enough to cook something from the friction, but be able to make ice cream as well.  I'm confused.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline o2bhealthy

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:55 AM »
I have a Vita-Mix and it is the one appliance that I use the most. In regards to the doing cold ice cream and hot soup, it is the speed of blending.   I have done soups, they turn out great. Because I don't want to wait for my blender to heat it to almost boiling by waiting while it is blending on high speed, I add hot water from the kettle, then it takes seconds or 1-2 minutes. This is using the same blender to do both hot and cold. The speed of the blending causes the friction which produces the heat and it gets hot.

In regards to the grinding wheat, one has to use the dry canister as the blade is different and blends in a different direction. I have found that when I put my wheat berries in "frozen" like stored in a bag in the freezer, that it grinds my grain much better. I am satisfied with it for making bread but not when it comes to baking, just isn't fine enough. I don't notice a difference in my bread though at all.

Happy blending, Heidi