Remedies & Therapies > Medicinal Herbs & Oils

Which Variety Raspberry for Tea

(1/2) > >>

advancewithcourage:
You cannot just plant any rasberry cane for tea. My girlfriend is an herbalist and said it must be a specific type of plant. I will e-mail her to find out and let you know what type she reccommends

advancewithcourage:
Rubus Idaeus, Heritage raspberries is what your want. She said not to use any other kind but I am not sure why. I will have to inquire.

healthybratt:

--- Quote from: advancewithcourage on April 19, 2006, 12:19:50 PM ---Rubus Idaeus, Heritage raspberries is what your want. She said not to use any other kind but I am not sure why. I will have to inquire.

--- End quote ---

I bought Rubus Idaeus, Latham.  Is that the wrong one?  Crud!  I wonder if they will take them back?

I keep finding on the web that Rubus Idaeus L is the variety that I want, but I can't find anything that says "L" equals "Latham".   ???

dara:
HB, can you direct me to a couple sites where you are reading about what varieties you want? Oh, and I think I found a place, but I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Thanks, Dara

healthybratt:

--- Quote from: dara on May 01, 2006, 06:50:35 AM ---HB, can you direct me to a couple sites where you are reading about what varieties you want? Oh, and I think I found a place, but I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Thanks, Dara

--- End quote ---

I haven't found much.  I did however find a newsletter for NYBerry Association and I sent them an email.  Hoping they will answer.  I called our state university who claim to have experts on hand, but the guy who answered knew everything there was to know about raspberries except, he'd never even heard of using the leaves for tea and asked me where I got my information.  *snicker*  I told him , every health food store in America.  He was not impressed.  :-\

The guy, did tell me however that Rubus Ideaus, L.  did not mean Latham.  The L stands for some guys name who discovered the plant or something like that.  It turns out all RED raspberries are Rubus Ideaus.  Now which one?  I'm thinking maybe all of them are good, cuz I found something that said, I could use my blackberry leaves for tea as well. 

I also sent an email to the Currant Company.  This website claimed he was an expert, so I decided to find out just how much he knows.  The president of the company did answer ALREADY, but I wasn't specific enough in my email, so he answered what we already know.  *snicker*, so I sent a more specific response and am waiting.  Here's what he sent.

The variety most commonly used is Rubus Ideas and you can purchase leaves through the web site below. Hope this helps.

http://www.jcrows.com/remarkableraspberry.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version