Author Topic: are potatoes bad for you.............  (Read 13961 times)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
are potatoes bad for you.............
« on: December 22, 2006, 11:19:51 AM »
  I'm a bit confused. It seems like Nourishing Traditions doesn't condemn potatoes if they're cooked healthy, but people like Mercola, which i have some red flags about, say they are very bad for you. My dh.'s nutritionist says they raise your blood sugar so be careful. Seems to me that God created them so they should be o.k. at least in moderation. Any wise input?

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Re: are potatoes bad for you.............
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:24:56 AM »
AUGH!  NO!  Please don't tell me they are bad for you!  :-X  I love potatos.  They are one of the few things that I can eat right now without feeling sick.

So, what is the truth?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 11:33:05 AM »
I haven't done any great research, but I know that as a diabetic, they (like corn and any other starchy veggie) will raise your bloodsugar.  But that doesn't make them "bad".  I make them a lot for dh (with protein, etc) and we have good health.   ;D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »
I have heard this alot too....stay away from white foods...including potatoes...but the thing I have always I have noticed ...after I eat a potatoe I for one feel alot better...it feels so balancing to me...so even though they get a bad rap I still eat them because they make me feel so much better...a noticeable GOOD difference...can not say that about Christmas cookies! Beth in Idaho

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »

I've always been told that the method of preparation is the key.  Baked, roasted, broiled, or boiled are okay but fried is right out.  Too bad, I love them ALL ways they are fixed! 

We eat them in moderation.  No 'french fries' at every meal around our house, but I don't worry too badly about making oven fries occasionally just 'cuz they taste so yummy under chili or chile verde!

But they are actually high on the glycemic index.   ;)  I guess you need to be aware of what your own system can tolerate.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:41:29 PM »

I've always been told that the method of preparation is the key.  Baked, roasted, broiled, or boiled are okay but fried is right out.  Too bad, I love them ALL ways they are fixed! 

NT says that fried are fine as long as you use EVOO & or butter as your fat to fry them in.  I think that potatoes are fine the same as everything else - in moderation.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 01:19:41 PM »
I have to watch blood sugar too. I used to avoid potatoes, which was so hard because they were one of my favorite foods!

I've learned that they don't have as drastic an effect on your blood sugar if you eat them with protein and healthy fats, in moderation. They are great this way! (Baby reds have the lowest glycemic index, BTW.)

PMESguy

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »
All root vegetables are essentially concentrated sugar. Potatoes are not sweet like yams, beets, carrots, etc. but they can affect your blood sugar negatively.

It also depends largely on your metabolic type. If you are of Irish heritage, for example, you probably have the genetics to eat them. You might even have a genetic need for the nutrients in a potato. However, there aren't too many pure carb types that come from Ireland. Many are mixed or protein types. Therefore if you ate too many potatoes for your metabolic type, then you will have issues.

I agree with Sally Fallon's recommendation to eat them fried in butter only. I am a strong protein type and can only eat them this way. It's the combination of the fat in the butter that helps negate the effects of the starch in the system.

One way to tell if starchy foods are not ideal choices for you is to eat them on an empty stomach and listen to your body. A carb type would probably feel satisfied, have a renewed sence of well-being and be able to go a few hours without eating again. A protein type would probably get a spike of energy, followed by a crash and then feel the need to eat again. A mixed type could have any and all of those reactions. Mixed types need to be really good food detectives and develope a keen sense of body awarness when it comes to food.

So if you have blood sugar handling issues you would need to watch your intake.

Not all food is created equal. No real food grown by Mother Nature is really "bad" for you.

Not all potatoes are created equal. If they are conventinally grown they might be genetically modified (GM). Certified organic produce, by law, cannot be GM. So there more nutritious potatoes than others. Their nutrient density depends on many things including soil health, farming practices, freshness, how it's prepared.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
I agree with PMEs guy.  I also had a friend who opted to treat her son's brain tumor homeopathically and nutritionally, and she said that mixing potatoes with red meat is a bad combo.  I don't remember why, but she was consulting with a nutritionist.  Anyone know if there's validity to that?
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 05:20:27 PM »
Potato skins have alot of the nutrients so eat those skins too :-*
If you have sugar problems this method of preparation might help. Start with red potatoes and cut them in whatever size pieces you are going to use(smaller is better. Cover with water and store in the fridge for several hours. Rinse before cooking. The white stuff in the water is starch... If you want to fry the potatoes wrap in a towel for 20 minutes to absorb some of the water.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 07:33:07 AM »
I've always been told that the method of preparation is the key.  Baked, roasted, broiled, or boiled are okay but fried is right out. 
I don't have anything to prove this, but I think that fried potatoes are fine.  I think it's all a matter of how they are fried.  Fries from the freezer section are coated with extra gluten and soaked in hydrogenated oils (usually soy).  If you cut and make your own fries at home and cook them in olive oil, lard or even coconut oil, I don't think they would be any worse for you than a baked potatoe slathered in melted butter and sour cream....mmmm....I have nothing to back this up other than my research on healthy fats, but that's my 2 cents.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 07:35:37 AM »
I agree with PMEs guy.  I also had a friend who opted to treat her son's brain tumor homeopathically and nutritionally, and she said that mixing potatoes with red meat is a bad combo.  I don't remember why, but she was consulting with a nutritionist.  Anyone know if there's validity to that?
Again , nothing to back this up except my family history.  My grandparents ate fried, mashed, boiled and baked potatoes with almost every meal.  Gravy and greasy meats and eggs too.  They both lived very long and healthy lives.  I remember eating at her house alot when I was little and I ate fried pork chop or steak cut into pieces on a sandwich slathered in mashed potatoes and gravy....mmmmmm....It wasn't until I moved out on my own and began eating processed foods that my health began to decline (I was a very healthy child).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:48 PM »

The reasoning behind this is that starch requires an more alkaline environment & meat requires a very acid environment to digest so it interferes w/digesting both if you eat them together. I'm not sure about the idea, after all Jesus served bread & fish together many times. On the other hand, ever since I got really sick from fungus I have found that I can't eat a lot of carbs & I DEFINITELY can't eat a lot of carbs w/protein & fat b/c it will set like a brick on my stomach. Your system doesn't have to work as hard to digest food if you do not mix food types at the same meal. If you are run down or sick it can be very helpful, but if you are healthy it doesn't seem to be necessary. HTH~herbalmom

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 04:51:48 AM »
I split the question about Lard into a new thread.  You can find it here.

Cooking with Lard:  Is it healthy?
  My favorite herb book!!

YoopreMama

Re: Are potatoes bad for you...NO WAY! :)
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »
Long Live the Potato!   ;D

A member of the nightshade family (eggplant, tomatoes), potatoes contain very small amounts of atropine.  This substance is deadly in large amounts, but in small doses it has antispasmodic effects, making potatoes useful for easing gastrointestinal pain and cramping.  Potatoes can also be applied externally for muscle pain and skin problems (I've heard for warts).  The alkaline juice of the potato neutralizes stomach acid and relieves stomach upset, heartburn, and even peptic ulcers.  Warm potatoes applied externally help alleviate joint & muscle pain & improve circulation.  Raw potatoes reduce itching and skin inflammation (why do my hands get irritated w/ peeling potatoes?). 

Potatoes are very nutritious, supplying complex carbohydrates, fiber and protein; vit. A, B-complex, & C; and copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, niacin, and potassium.  Eat the nutrient-rich skin--or peel thinly; many nutrients are concentrated just beneath it.

Drinking potato water can help cleanse your intestines & reduce the amount of acid in the GI system.  Wash & dice a large potato.  Steep overnight in 1 cup of water to which you've added a pinch of sea salt.  Strain & drink the water every morning on an empty stomach.  Repeat for several weeks.

A two-day diet of nothing but potatoes is sometimes recommended to flush excess fluid, & the toxins and waste products that fluid may contain, from the body & help purify the blood.  Simultaneously, the alkaline substances in the potato bind to urid-acid deposits & remove them from the body, thus relieving gout & arthritis. Eat 1 large, plain baked potato w/ the skin 5 times a day for 2 days.  Drink plenty of water. 

A tea made from potato skin can relieve gall bladder problems, thereby enhancing the liver's ability to clear waste products & toxins from the body.  To prepare, peel a large potato and boil the skin in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes.  Strain and drink the brew. 

For slow healing inflammations & wounds, grate 2-3 raw potatoes & moisten them w/ milk.  Wrap them in a linen cloth & apply to infected areas.

The potato wrap has a long history as a folk remedy for all types of muscle and bone pain.  Potatoes retain heat for long periods of time, allowing the warmth to penetrate deep into the tissues.  To make a wrap, boil 1# of potatoes in their skins until tender.  Place them in a linen sack and mash them.  Apply the sack to the affected area, placing a towel underneath the sack if it's too hot.  Attach the sack tightly to your body w/ a woolen blanket.  Remove the sack only after it has cooled down completely. 

The cooling effect of raw potato slices brings fast relief from swelling & itching caused by contact dermatitis and insect bites.  The slices are also effective for bruises as well as sties that occur on the eyelids.  Peel & slice a potato & apply a slice to the affected skin until the potato warm sup.  Repeat as necessary.

Potatoes have compounds that coat the lining of the stomach.  Use a juicer to extract the juice from 1-2 ;large potatoes (w/ skins). Take 3-4 TB of the juice 1/2 an hour before meals. If you don't like the taste, mix it w/ another veg. juice (carrot, beet), or add to soup.

From my "Complete Guide to Natural Healing".   ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 02:43:24 PM by YooperMama »

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 03:45:44 AM »

A member of the nightshade family (eggplant, tomatoes), potatoes contain very small amounts of atropine.  This substance is deadly in large amounts, but in small doses it has antispasmodic effects, making potatoes useful for easing gastrointestinal pain and cramping....

Raw potatoes reduce itching and skin inflammation (why do my hands get irritated w/ peeling potatoes?).

From my "Complete Guide to Natural Healing".   ;D

I've been looking at potatoes and eczema:
http://www.allergiesexplained.com/20-Potato-and-other-foods-can-cause-eczema.htm

Potatoes seem to cause problems for people re: eczema, arthritis and migraines...very interesting.  Part of it could be due to the high level of sprays/fungicides on the peels, but I haven't tested organic potatoes yet.  My skin is clearing up almost completely in the past few days w/o them and it's mid-winter--typically the worst time of year for my skin.

More discussion here: Potato Allergy