Author Topic: Traveling Out of Country [Overseas/Abroad]: Vaccinations, Preparations, Supplements & Provisions  (Read 28174 times)

Offline just jane

• Adept
Steve and I are absolutely thrilled that we were presented with the opportunity to go visit the Malawi Project for two weeks this coming March!   ;D We are praying about it and starting to find out what would be involved in taking a 10 month old baby with us to Africa.  Please join us in prayer.  I am so very excited at this opportunity and hope that all the multiple pieces fall into place allowing us to go.

One of the several things I would like to do if we are allowed to go is bring seeds with me to start an Herb garden there along with books teaching them how to use the herbs medicinally.  It is such a remote location that most of their medical needs will need to be treated on site since it is such a long ways to get any "Professional" care.  They have First Aid kits there but for the everyday sicknesses and ailments that can come up it would be a fantastic resource if they had their own little patch of plant medicines on hand.  The American guy that is the head of the project there right now tells the story of how the local village brought an extremely sick woman to the Farm asking for transportation to take her to the nearest city for Medical Aid.  They have the only working vehicle for miles.  He looked at his truck that had just been unloaded off the container that transported it there and it's bare minimum of gas.  Just enough to assure that it would crank when started. Knowing that it was a two hour drive to the hospital or more gas.  Praying as he loaded them up he decided he would take them as far as he could.  They made it all the way there!

Up to this time we have not gotten Noelle any vaccinations at all.  Our preference was to wait until she was a year or so old and then evaluate which vaccines we would like for her to have on an individual basis.  Now I am trying to figure out which ones would be absolutely essential to get her  in light of taking her to Africa.  She will be ten months old at the time we would be there.

If any of you have traveled over seas with an infant please let me know any resources/links that would be helpful!  I am starting the process of researching everything out that I can and any information will be greatly appreciated.  :)  Particularly relating to staying healthy as naturally as possible vs. tanking up on prescription pharmaceuticals.  ;D Thank you in advance!

I know of quite a few people who travel back and forth to C.A.    So many of them say that taking a good probiotic helps so much with picking up the stomach problems.   From plenty of past experience tho' I do need to advise you to take plenty of Pepto Bismol and Immodian along.  You just may be quite glad for it.  Taking bromelain first thing in the morning is also to help to prevent picking up ameboa's.    I'm sure you know too to drink only bottled water and to be very careful not to eat raw foods.  Cooked foods is better.  Take lots of snacks along for the baby (healthy)  and a powdered electrolyte drink.  You should give the baby probiotics as well.    The baby should be OK if you take precautions.   Did you check into getting a Hepatitis A shot for you all?   My husband and I just got our several months ago and it was such a breeze.   You know we often think that raw vegetables and fruits are the healthiest!  Well, this is one time to avoid them unless they have been thouroughly washed w/ a little Clorox.   BTDT!  best wishes

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful

I know of quite a few people who travel back and forth to C.A.    So many of them say that taking a good probiotic helps so much with picking up the stomach problems.   From plenty of past experience tho' I do need to advise you to take plenty of Pepto Bismol and Immodian along.  You just may be quite glad for it.  Taking bromelain first thing in the morning is also to help to prevent picking up ameboa's.    I'm sure you know too to drink only bottled water and to be very careful not to eat raw foods.  Cooked foods is better.  Take lots of snacks along for the baby (healthy)  and a powdered electrolyte drink.  You should give the baby probiotics as well.    The baby should be OK if you take precautions.   Did you check into getting a Hepatitis A shot for you all?   My husband and I just got our several months ago and it was such a breeze.   You know we often think that raw vegetables and fruits are the healthiest!  Well, this is one time to avoid them unless they have been thouroughly washed w/ a little Clorox.   BTDT!  best wishes

Thanks so much for the ideas!  :)

Here is a list of things we are already planning on bringing.  Additional suggestions are welcomed!

- Super efficient/thorough water filter/purifier so that we can be assured of the purity of the water we are drinking
- Digestive Enzymes and Pro Biotics to aid in any stomach issues
- Herbs specifically for killing parasites in capsule and tincture form
- GSE and essential oils along with a small spray bottle to use to help clean anything we need to.
- Multi vitamins and immune boosting supplements for all of us, but especially ones appropriate for the baby.

Since I don't know how much she will still be nursing then (A lot of babies in my family have weaned themselves by 10 mos) I am planning on bringing a lot of organic canned baby food.  In most of the places we are going to be I will probably feel way more comfortable feeding her that than whatever it is we will be eating.

Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
Steph,
Our youngest was 15 months old when we came to Brasil in Aug. of 2000.  She only had her yellow fever vaccination.  DH wanted the family to have these.  We were advised to get malaria pills and didn't because DH's reasoning was "we can't afford to be on them for the rest of our lives"  Our very excellent family Dr. (who makes biyearly trips to Brasil  ;) 8)) was 100% with DH.  All this to say, you are much better prepared than I was and GOD is in control  :) 8)
I hope you get to go!
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
We are planning a trip to Honduras for a wedding. We'll stay about a week. Last time we went, we all had vomiting and diarrhea and took a round of antibiotics (except for our son who was exclusively breast fed).

I will be about 20 weeks pregnant. I really want to prevent illness for all of us if possible. My midwife suggested taking charcoal, but says better to take an antibiotic than end up dehydrated in the hospital in honduras.

I know all the usual about not drinking the water, not washing fruits with tap water etc however my husband is from there, we will be staying with his family and while we will drink bottled water,  I expect we will eat the food we are served without questions.

What is your best advice on prevention? I have gr8 acidophilus and silver. I'm not sure if the gr8 has enough in it to prevent illness, I was thinking about going with culturelle which has 10 billion organisms.

Any recomendations will need to withstand a certain amount of heat in our luggage.

Thanks

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
The only things I can think of are
1. using the excuse of pregnancy to be supercareful about the food that you are eating (and see if you can wash the kids stuff before they eat it too).  Don't make it seem like you think their stuff is unhygenic - make it seem as if you are to blame ... that your tummy can't handle the foods and you wish it could etc etc

2.  Eat foods that are supposed to counteract listeria.  I know raw carrots do.  Just make sure you peel and wash them first!  Maybe google foods that counteract food poisoining or something.

3.  When you say grace over your food - REALLY say grace ... "Dear Lord, PLEASE bless this food to my body (and in your head so no-one gets offended) and PLEASE don't let me get horribly sick because of it!    ;)
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Also... many fruits and veggies that have high water content may be a hazard to you also.   
You know you can't drink the water, but many fruits, especiallly, have a high water content.  If the water you can't drink has been used to grow the fruit, then the actual fruit could be contaminated as well for you.

Offline Beth

• Adept
take olive leaf extract. It is supposed to be good to fight food poisoning. You can google it to find out more. There may be a thread on here also. I believe it is okay to take while pregnant (better check). It also would stregthen your immune system and that would be good. I think Mountain Meadow Herbs would have a glycerite tincture (no alcohol). I believe they have both. They used to anyway.( www.mountainmeadowherbs.com)
"discontenment is not a product of circumstances; it is the state of the soul." ~ Debi Pearl ~    ...and be content with such things as ye have Hebrews 13:5

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
When are you going? The best info I know of for traveling & staying healthy using natural remedies & preventatives is in a little $10 book-  Travel Healthy: A Smart Traveler's Guide to Staying Well Anywhere by Lalitha Thomas. It's a great little book. Small enough to take even in a backback, clear info, everything is doable & uses products most WTMer would be familiar with & the author has extensive world travel & herbalism experience.

There is a bookstore local to me called Tattered Cover that can order it & ship anywhere in the world. Here's a link to the book on their web site:

Travel Healthy: A Smart Traveler's Guide to Staying Well Anywhere

Here's the info write up about the book from Tattered Cover's web site- "A handy guide with essential tricks for natural health conscious travelers to stay well anywhere--whether on a business trip, family vacation, or person adventure. Secrets include how to find great vegetarian restaurants anywhere in the world, how to keep your family healthy on the road and superfoods: what they are and how to use them. Author has thirty years experience as natural health professional and world traveler." 

As far as a WTM thread that would help, try this one:

First Aid Kit: Herbal/Natural Essentials

I was going to recommend in particular Grapefruit Seed Extract. (GSE) I found this post by Ruhamah & it explains why pretty well so I'm posting it:

I only use GSE internally. And I have had nothing but good success with it. I wouldn't travel on long trips without it.

My children got bad raw milk (it came from a place where the well water is contaminated during the winter, I found out that afterwards). They were throwing up and had diarrhea for ten days straight. Not a pretty sight at my house.

A friend gave me GSE. I put five to ten drops in some Orange juice and gave it to them all who had spent the ten days laying on the floor moaning within 15 min all of them were up and playing.

I was shocked!

Now when someone has a tummy ache they get GSE right away and the tummy ache goes away within 15 min.

I take it along on trips because my children always pick up some stomach bug when we travel. Now I treat them while we travel, one or two glasses of OJ with GSE in it a day. Everyone stays healthy.

I have used it internally my self and had the same results.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Becks

• Adept
Hi,
I've lived in Mexico where we don't have clean water for the 2nd and third trimesters and birth of my 3rd child as well as the first trimester of my current pregnancy with our 4th child. 

Here's what works for me.

Don't eat watermelon or strawberries.  They are both water rich and watermelons have been rumored to be injected with unclean water in order to increase the weight to make you pay more in our area.

Put all veggies and fruits in a iodine water or bleach water or colloidal silver soak for 10-15 minutes.  These products are all sold in our area and used frequently even by the native Mexicans, so they aren't suprised when I do it to my foods too.  This kills all bacteria from unhealthy sources on the foods.

Avoid drinking fresh squeezed orange juices and such that you aren't certain have had the fruit soaked in one of the above mentioned solutions.

Avoid eating fresh cut fruit from roadside vendors as the fruit may not be sterilized and who knows about the knife!

Avoid homemade Kool-Aid type drink mixes when you don't know if the water used was clean.

I know it's not especially good for you... but I'd opt for soda pop over a drink made with questionable water.  So if you're concerned about offending anyone and you've got choices, go with bottled juices and pops since they are clean. (When staying with family you could buy these things for your family and just use the bottled water and juices and pops you buy when other stuff is served. In fact, offer it to your extended family as a gift for their hospitality! Just keep them well stocked throughout your stay and they may appreciate your kindness in offering this continual gift during your stay.)

Only drink clean water.  Some ideas on this are... bring your own water purifier and add it to whatever you drink.   Here in Mexico we buy water in a 5 gallon drum called a garafon.  You could ask your family if they buy their water purified.  If not, you could ask if they'd mind if you bought some purified water to use while there.

Eat food cooked in front of you and piping hot!  This is my rule of thumb when eating out at roadside cafes.  I also opt for foods I know are less likely to be contaminated due to LONG cooking times.  Tamales are great because they're steamed for ever!  And they taste great too.  We do a lot of tacos and I eat them when I can see the dough cooked in front of me and the ingredients that are added are well cooked.  It's ok to ask the person at the cafe cooking your food to cook it longer.

When drinking water at restaurants, ask for bottled water and DON'T take ice cubes with it.  Who knows what kind of water was used to make the ice cubes.

I have even been known to ask at restaurants if they treat they're fruits and vegetables in bleach water or not.  Often the more touristy areas know all about the North American and our weak stomachs and have catered to this need quite nicely.

Finally... There have been many times when I just drink or eat and pray it's ok!

Do what you can to prevent illness and leave the rest to God.

My disclaimer:  My experiences are limited to life in Mexico and I don't know if these solutions are the same culturally and if the products I've mentioned are available in Honduras.  I just wanted to give you some encouragement that I've been there and done that and it's not impossible.

Good luck,
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:46:55 PM by shekinah »

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
From the book Saying NO to Vaccines, by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny (2008, ISBN 978-0-9790910-4-9)

Page 195
Although the CDC recommends that all travelers obtain all available vaccines when traveling abroad, it is important to realize that, with one exception, very few vaccines are required, before you travel anywhere in the world: The vast majority are only "recommended." You will not be required to obtain vacines to return home. Individual countries can post requirements from timeto time and the best way to know them for sure is to check the sections on "Travel Vaccines" on the CDC website. If you do not wish to be vaccinated, ask your physician to write a short letter for documentation. . . .

I have been a glob-trotter for most of my adult life. In the past 25 years, I have had the good fortune to have traveled to more than 50 countries. I have never been asked for a vaccine record, nor have I ever felt the need for any vaccines, even when traveling to remote, exotic destinations. U.S. customs does not require a vaccination recort to reenter the country.

What are the other health considerations?
Vaccines are available for all diseases mentioned above, should you choose to vaccinate. Infections that are a concern worldwide, and for which there are no vaccines, include malaria and traveler's diarrhea.

page 198
The Best Medicine
The best medicine for any type of infectious disease is always prevention. For most diseases around the world, common-sense precautions are the best way to stay healthy. With vaccinations only recommended, not required, for nearly every destination in the world, a trip to your doctor for vaccines is one item you can cross of your pre-trip "to do" list. Weigh the risk of the infection against the risk of a vaccine reaction that may prevent travel. Then go and have fun!

MINIMIZING FOOD-BORNE RISKS:
1. Eat only cooked foods hot to the touch. Avoid eating food from street vendors.
2. Avoid eating raw fruits and vegetables unless you peel them yourself.
3. Drink only "safe" beverages: sealed bottled water, carbonated beverages, hot tea, coffee, beer, wine and boiled water.
4. Don't drink beverages with ice.
5. Avoid all tap water, and be careful of getting shower water in your mouth. When dining in restaurants, ask whether the salad greens have been washed in boiled or distilled or bottled water.
7. Avoid nonpasteurized milk and dairy products.

PROTECT AGAINST MOSQUITO RISKS:
1. Pay special attention to mosquito protection between dusk and dawn.
2. Wear long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and hats.
3. Frequently apply natural insect repellent, particularly after swimming.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline just jane

• Adept
PrarieChild---All the above advice is great.  The GR8-dophilus is really good because it is enteric coated.   The one thing you want to remember is to take it BEFORE you go (like for 6 weeks before) and WHILE you arre there.  I would recommend at least 2 a day.    Immodian is an anti-diahreal that you can take while pregnant at least in low doses, so take that along.   Take some snacks like  a good energy bars in your suitcase so you at least have something nutritious to eat when no one else is looking!

Enjoy your trip.  DH family travels to Honduras quite often and most times they do not get sick!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
PrarieChild---All the above advice is great.  The GR8-dophilus is really good because it is enteric coated.   The one thing you want to remember is to take it BEFORE you go (like for 6 weeks before) and WHILE you arre there.  I would recommend at least 2 a day.    Immodian is an anti-diahreal that you can take while pregnant at least in low doses, so take that along.   Take some snacks like  a good energy bars in your suitcase so you at least have something nutritious to eat when no one else is looking!

Enjoy your trip.  DH family travels to Honduras quite often and most times they do not get sick!
Gr8dophilus always cures diarrhea around here.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline just jane

• Adept
But even if GR8-dophilus cures diarhea sometimes, I still would NEVER travel to these countries without IMMODIAN.   I have been to 3rd world countries 8 times now and that has been my experience.   

Offline created2worship

• Learning
Hi Everyone, I am moving to the Philippines for long-term missions work in January. I am trying to decide what to take as far as medicines/supplements. I can only bring one suitcase with everything I will need for 6 months (after 6 months I can come back to the US and can re stock) Here is what I am thinking:

Parasites: Yeast Assasin, Garlic
Diarrhea: Immodian
General Digestive health: Acidophilous
Pain Reliever like aspirin

Would you add anything else? Keep in mind that I can only take absolute essentials. Thanks!!! :)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
Would you add anything else? Keep in mind that I can only take absolute essentials. Thanks!!! :)

I would definitely take Oreganol (www.p-73.com)... it is antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, antitussive, etc, and can be used for all types of illnesses. Not to mention very compact, being an EO, and also comes in triple strength (even more compact). There's quite a bit of information here about it - if you aren't familiar with Oreganol - I think herbalmom is the resident expert.  ;)

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
I posted what I would take in a situation like this (as far as medicinals) in posts 13 & 37 in this thread.

(yes, my recommendations DO include Oreganol.  ;) :D)

Offline fairwinds

• Learning
My family and I have traveled to 10 different countries in the last 2 1/2 years and to tell you the truth I kind of like the idea of just being relaxed around people of different cultures as this rubs off onto my kids and they are very easygoing with people of different nationalities.  Yes, we all eat as healthy as possible on our trips, wash our hands throughout the days sightseeing. But, we do not obsess with worrying about getting sick.  I also do not carry anything special with me on our trips(except miracle salve, I always have that in my purse); we just eat healthy, a good shower at night  and get a good nights sleep when we travel. Then again, we haven't traveled yet to Central America as a family so I am sure things would be different if we did(more caution with water and food).

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
(yes, my recommendations DO include Oreganol.  ;) :D)
Thought so.  ;)

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
Hi Everyone, I am moving to the Philippines for long-term missions work in January. I am trying to decide what to take as far as medicines/supplements. I can only bring one suitcase with everything I will need for 6 months (after 6 months I can come back to the US and can re stock) Here is what I am thinking:

Parasites: Yeast Assasin, Garlic
Diarrhea: Immodian
General Digestive health: Acidophilous
Pain Reliever like aspirin

Try to eat the spices that are traditionally served even if they are too spicey or strange for your tastes. Often local spices will counteract local "bugs"

I personally would take Ibuprofen because of it's anti-inflamitory properties, and a small amount of extra-strength tylenol in case of bone injuries (don't use Ibuprofen then, because your body needs to be inflamed in order for the bone to heal)

A small amount of cayanne powder (applied to wound) to stop bleeding and prevent infection.

Every Day You Save My Life

Offline debbiez

• Adept
My Daddy is going overseas and he mentioned yesterday he was going to have to get several shots. I'm pretty sure they will be vaccines. This was very short notice and he had very little time to prepare.  My Dad is very healthy but I wanted to give him something to  help with the effects. I have no idea what to give him.  Could someone please make some suggests.
                                                          Thanks
                                                              Debbiez
Wife to my loving husband!!

Offline IowaDove

• Adept
I don't know much about this, but depending on what vaccines he has to get, you could look up the ingredients in them and kinda go from there. Some websites you could go to are:
www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm
http://www.vaccination.inoz.com/ingredie.html
Since there are metals and poisons in vaccines such as mercury and formaldehyde, then Bentonite Clay might be a good thing to take as it binds toxins. A good strong probiotic is always good as a healthy intestine is more capable of fighting off bad things in your system.
That's all I can think of that might be good-I'm sure there is more, but it's a start at least!  :)

Offline debbiez

• Adept
Thank you for all the info! My Dad is going overseas for a job, so I don't think he could get out of taking the shots. He did have to get a small pox vaccine :-[ Thanks again! Sorry for the late reply, we have been on vacation.
                                                        Debbiez
Wife to my loving husband!!