Author Topic: Traveling Out of Country [Overseas/Abroad]: Vaccinations, Preparations, Supplements & Provisions  (Read 28748 times)

Offline In Christ

• Adept
I only have TODAY and I am crazy...dd is supposed to go overseas and supposedley needs Hepatitis A and Meningitis vaccine TOMORROW....I am more worried about the vaccines than her getting either....PLEASE, thoughts, ideas, etc....

We were originally told NO shots, vaccines, etc...but then ONE parent contacted health dept and they suggested the two, and her doctor agrees, go figure...but most of kids probably will NOT get them, I know our pastor is NOT getting them and don't think the counselors going are either...

THANK YOU...and it's nice to be back...

In Christ,
SL

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
I had to make a similar decision for myself a few years back. I would consider her age, general health, country of destination, medical attention available in those countries, and activities scheduled... Sometimes there are current epidemics in countries that makes exposure almost unavoidable and quite possible serious depending on the disease... In either case it is wise to be well-informed on preventative measures like correct and fastidious sanitation and immune boosting supplements.

BTW If my husband and I are under pressure to do something we are uncomfortable with we always decline. Why the rush? Personally I would not do vaccinations within the last several weeks before travel... That time is best spent doing things to build the immune system, not compromise or stress it :-X
hope this helps in someway :-\

Offline In Christ

• Adept
I am trying to read through FOUR pages of the one topic on vaccinations...I would like to read ALL, but I don't have that much time...

She (16yo) is leaving in DAYS, will be in Eastern Europe and working in orphanages and feeding centers....but I was originally NOT planning on ANY since I know there are side effects and I don't want her to miss her trip or be sick or anything...she has raised well over $1500 JUST to get to go and many people have sponsored her and SHE prayed about this and decided she should go, so I don't want anything to mess up her plans, especially shots/vaccines I DON'T really want her to get anyway....I have read some issues with the one on the CDC site and I don't like that....

I appreciate YOUR help/thougts and would really appreciate ALL of your prayers....I have only tomorrow to do this or not get them.   Then it is the weekend and Christmas and all is closed and then she is OFF : )

In Christ,
SL

Offline In Christ

• Adept
I went to pick up dd at her party and there were three other moms there and I just mentioned my dilemma, they were precious and all prayed with/around me for peace and to make the right decision.  I will pray about this...be back tomorrow

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
When my daughter went on a six months missions trip a couple of years ago, there was a travel immunization place that knew exactly which vaccs if any were recommended or required for each country she was visiting.  We used that info as a starting place to make decisions.  I am anti-vacc for children, but for adults with healthy immune systems I think there may be merit if travelling to places with diseases we don't encounter in our typical American life.  I will ask daughter and post about above referenced organization.
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline fisherovi5

• Learning
Don't know what Eastern Europe country you're going to, but I would encourage you to relax.  ;D I know that's easier said than done when it concerns our children.  However, we lived in Eastern Europe for a while with our children very young....the only concern in our country was polio because they still gave the live polio vaccine. 
Even if you do decide to get the vaccinations for your daughter, I would suggest sending some good soap and a clean towel with her and tell her to wash her hands regularly, send some GSE to add to her water (just a few drops), and encourage her team to buy some good plain yogurt without many sweeteners or add-ins to eat while there.  Most, if not all, Eastern European groceries will sell some good yogurt or kefir and even kvass quite inexpensively - all good choices.  Let the last thing she sees on your face be a smile...this event will probably change her life!     

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
Checked with daughter and she said it is simply called a "travel clinic".  And that the CDC website should list the ones in your area.  Hope this helps at least with the research portion of your decision.
Lori
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline In Christ

• Adept
THANK YOU...today was much better....dh and I were out all day so we just stopped in the Health Dept and asked for the sheet that goes with the two that are recommended, after talking to the nurse and reading the material and then asking dd to pray about it and tell me how she felt...I called her and she said she had read some info in them in her nutritional healing books and really did not feel the NEED to get them now, especially last minute. 

One suggests starting a MONTH before you leave the country, and the nurse said it could take several days to a few weeks before they actually were doing what they were to do, and the risk of her being SICK due to vaccines, with sorness, swelling, fever, etc.  PLUS her immune system would be working on those and might not be up to par and normal to encounter other things, and those two can be treated whereas there are OTHER things out there she might encounter at the airport or with those children that we canNOT treat as well.

SOOOOO..all that said, she called and cancelled her appointment herself and we will trust the LORD to keep her safe and protect her.  She was able to make another decision.  IF the Lord lays her/us on your heart over the next three weeks, we would appreciate your prayers.  The group going are some precious people, young and old alike, so pray the LORD uses them to minister and they receive not only a blessing, but something that will impact them for the glory of the GOD for the rest of their life.

She has NEVER really been far away from me or for very long, so I will be the one who needs peace, and her little brother cried and was hysterical the last time she left town without any of us, in Feb.  and she was only in St. Louis a few hours away!  I have been VERY cautious about acting or even "feeling" worry or fear over this, I don't want him to pick up on it. 

THANK YOU again, I will continue to check in....Have a Merry Christmas and it might be next year before I am back. 

In CHRIST,
SL

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
Just so you know, Hepatitis A is not a chronic disease. It is just diarrhea. 70% of children have no symptoms.

Offline In Christ

• Adept
Dd had a wonderful trip in Romania and is ready to go back.  PRAISE GOD!  Hope to share more if possible.

THANK YOU for your prayers and help...she ended up getting NO shots ;) her choice.

Offline In Christ

• Adept
Hi there.  My dd went to Romania over Christmas break, about 10 days.  She LOVED it and wants to go back in the summer but we don't know that it will happen that way.  She was able to stay at the missionaries house for the first few nights and just fell in love with the whole family, except the crazy little dog  ;D  They visited children from two villages and loved the kids.  The kids were so happy with the little that was brought for them which had an impact on our children/teens.  They learned of a great need for the missionaries to have a building for a feeding center in one village and the teens decided to pray and just ASK GOD for the money.  (more on that later)
They also got to know the teens there and made some GREAT friends.  They brought in the New Year with their new friends ON THEIR KNEES in PRAYER, and they all loved that and the sincere passion of these people for their Savior.
They did a little sight-seeing but there was much snow when they went into the mountains, so they left a little early.
They came home and share with our church their hearts and their burden for the village that needed that building..they committed to continue to ask the LORD to provide and within ONE week the Lord did provide, that was powerful for them to see and learn. 
She wants to go back this summer and in the fall, but probably cannot do both.
Thank you to all who helped and prayed.  God bless!

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
Hi all.  I am hoping someone can give me some specific advice.  My husband is heading to Rio at the end of the month on a Mission Trip.  They will mostly be in the city, but they will be doing some work in the "slum" areas for a couple of days.  Is there anything specific that he needs to do to prepare himself, health wise? We don't normally vaccinate our children, but we would consider having him get anything he may need.  Does anyone know of any special issues in this area?  Thanks.

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
Hi, I am going on a mission trip to the Phillipines this summer and will be assisting with providing medical care in an orphanage, bringing humanitarian aid to a group of people (hundreds) that live at a dump, and visiting a home for the dying and handicapped.

I know for instance that Tuberculosis is rampant in the area and I will be around people who are infected with it. I'm sure there are lots of other communicable diseases, as well as malaria that is spread by the mosquitos... In addition, I have digestive problems and eat a very healthy diet, very high in raw veggies. From what I've heard, I should not be eating raw foods from the markets, and most of what we will be served will be cooked, meats and rice, fried eggroll type things. So I am concerned about how this will affect me! We can only drink bottled water. I know that ultimately I am going under God's protection and he will keep me from harm! I also want to be focusing on the mission and not being paranoid about keeping myself healthy!

I am planning to bring Tummy Tuneup Original. What else should I be taking? I feel that an immune system booster of some kind would be in very good order! I also wondered about taking some Grapefruit Seed Crush to take internally (diluted) if I suspected exposure to anything, or to put in bathwater or whatever...  Anyone who has wisdom or experience, please give me your input!!!

I want to be safe and smart, but not paranoid and obsessed!  :)
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
A really good book that covers this is:

Travel Healthy: A Smart Traveler's Guide to Staying Well Anywhere
by Lalitha Thomas.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
I'd even like to have that book and I don't plan on going anywhere!

CNM2B, you may want to consider bringing along potassium iodide. Here's a quote from an article that I found pretty amazing:

Some years ago, a retired Indian physician told me about his use of SSKI during more than 30 years traveling from village to village in rural Africa. Most usually, the only drinking water available was from a local stream or river, muddy and contaminated. After removing sediment and debris by straining the dirty water through cheesecloth, he'd add several drops of SSKI, and wait two to three minutes. He and his team could then drink the water. In over 30 years, he never got an infection from contaminated water. The SSKI killed any micro-organisms present.

Here's the link: http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/iodide.shtml

Potassium iodide is good for plenty of other things, too. The article alludes to that fact.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

I just realized that I didn't say that SSKI is potassium iodide. Duh. Sorry 'bout that.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:00:07 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
I would look into becoming familiar with ways to ferment vegetables and make cultured raw milk products. This will help protect your digestive tract by promoting healthy enzymes and boosting your immune system.

Consider taking wheat grass seeds or securing them after you arrive to grow your own wheat grass. This can be done indoors. The grass can be ground into a paste, blended into a liquid and/or just eaten like salad greens. Using this method, you could also grow your own greens indoors to supplement your diet and help maintain a balance. This wouldn't involve any more time than placing the seeds on a shallow tray with a bit of soil and keeping it moist with a damp cloth until they sprout. Here is a fairly balanced account of someone's attempt at growing their own wheat grass with pictures of the results:
http://www.math.gatech.edu/~berglund/wheatgrass.html

If you don't want to start an indoor crop, you could also make rejuvelac from the wheat seeds (berries). This fermented tonic is lacto-fermented and full of valuable enzymes. It can be made as needed with a mason jar and a open-weave cloth over the opening of the jar. This link will show you how to make it. I will add this caution that some of the statements regarding its benefits may be overstated.
http://www.hishealingways.com/rejuvelac/makerejuvelac.html
This site has a little more balanced information:
http://www.growyouthful.com/toc11rejuvelac.php

For both indoor growing/sprouting and rejuvelac, I would use your bottled water.

You may want to look for a good natural repellent that you can utilize without harm to yourself. Putting some dried tansy in your hair and/or carrying it in your clothing will help. Consider making up little cloth packets of dried herbs that would have similar properties. Carrying them on your person and keep some in your bedding. I mention dried herbs because you may have difficulty traveling with a liquid tincture.

Information will be your greatest asset. Look for ways to utilize the resources you will find at your location. In this way, you will gain skills that you can leave with the people you are trying to reach -- or you might learn from them.  ;)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline mexmarr

• Master
I want to be safe and smart, but not paranoid and obsessed!  :)

This is a good perspective to take.  I lived in Mexico for 13 years.  The early years, we lived in the city.  I knew several other missionaries who were excessively paranoid about what they ate.  They offended countless people.  They also left the mission field with typhoid.  While at home, we were fairly cautious.  We drank bottled water, and washed our veggies (or at least rinsed them :o) But when visiting others, we always ate what we were served.  We never got sick.

Later on we moved out to a little village with no running water or electricity.  Actually, my dad liked to say that we did have running water, we ran to the spring to get it, and ran back.  ;) (Actually we didn't run back that 1/4 mile uphill with buckets of water...)  All our water can from that tiny spring, which we had to brush the dirt and debris away before we could scoop it out.  And since it was so small, we had to be extra careful not to bump the bottom and sir up the yucky stuff with our one cup measuring cup that we used to scoop out the water.

Needless to say, we used our water as sparingly as we could!  Our produce didn't get washed very well.  While we usually ran the water to through a Berkley Purifier, there were times that wasn't available, we we drank it as it was.  That was better than the rain water we were served at other peoples houses, that was stored in buckets with slime growing in it.  I drank more than my share of that, and I am still here!

All that to say, ultimately, God is in control.  He determines who gets sick and who doesn't.  I am not trying to say that you should be foolish and careless.  When it is within your hands, be as careful as you feel you need to be.  But when you can't, there will probably be times when you will simply have to trust God.

Now I will leave it to someone else to give you suggestions on being careful. ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
We use the Berkey Light Water Filtration system for our home. They also make a personal water filter called the Berkey Sport that would help you be able to safely utilize whatever water was available -- in case the bottled water became scarce.
http://www.thealertstore.com/bsku/1d6c37a8
http://www.berkeylight.net/?r=g2&gclid=CKb7sba7yowCFRNyZQodyFqnaQ

I agree with mexmar's take on things. If you kept a few things available in your room to help supplement digestion and did what you could regarding water, you'll be able to better enjoy your trip and focus more on your reason for going.

[keywords="abroad", "overseas", "third world", "underdeveloped", "countries", "continental", "continents", "Mexico", "Canada", "Asia", "Europe", "china", "japan", "Australia", "new Zealand", "Africa", "South America", "foreign", "parasites", "amoebic dysentery", "malaria", "tuberculosis", "hepatitis", "polio", "MMR", "DTP", "DPT", "diphtheria", "pertussis", "whooping cough", "measles, "mumps", "rubella", "chicken pox", "small pox"]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 06:16:16 AM by healthybratt »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
Thanks everyone.
I think that bottled water will be plentiful - so I'm not going to worry about stuff to put in/filter water. I am also thinking that since we'll only be there for 8 days, and since we'll be moving around from place to place a lot, I'm not going to do sprouted/fermented things.
I'm interested in what I can take to boost my immune system before and during the trip. It's been a not so good spring for my health this year. I was thinking some Ultra 3 Immune or Bee Immune from Beeyoutiful. Anybody know which would be better? Also, I'm beginning to wonder if my digestive problems are linked to my liver.... am planning to do some cleanses when I get back because I don't have time before we leave. So I was wondering if some of the Liver Support formula from Beeyoutiful would help my digestive system do better while I'm on the trip???
Thanks - keep the ideas comin!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
You may want the garlic capsules from Beeyoutiful, too.  I used that along with the Bee Immune, and I didn;t get a cold when my dh did.  Very unusual, since he has a stronger immune system than me.  I haven't used the other one that you mentioned.

Warning, the Bee Immune is nasty, and really stinks... But, if I could get it down while pregnant, I'm sure that you can tolerate it!  ;) You know what they say, No pain, No Gain! ;D

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Do you have access to a dehydrator?  You can dehydrate fruits and veggies, and take them along.  You can either chop them up to dehydrate and soak them in a little hot water to eat.  Or you can blend them up and make fruit or veggie leather. I've not done the leather with veggies, but I have heard that of you season it with whatever spices you like, it is pretty good.  That way you could just carry it on your purse and eat it without any prep wprk.

You can also make yogurt leather. Plain, or with pureed fruit (wonderful with peaches!). 

If you want some greens that are easy to carry  along, I like BarleyMax. It is powdered Barley grass and Alfalfa, you mix it in water to make a green drink.  It will definately help keep you regular and is excellent for your immume system.  It is a big energy booster as well.   You can get it here:
BarleyMax
So much for leaving the practical advice for someone else!  ;)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
CNM2B

I will also be going to an underveloped country this year in December.
To Jamaica. Not the pot smoking partying tourist beach fronts but to the real parts of Jamaica where there is poverty and sickness. The stuff you said you will be doing is the same things my missions group will be doing also.

Here are some of the natural health stuff im taking:

- peppermint oil to put in my belly button for the painful digestive cramps from having to eat unclean forein foods and water. We will have bottled water but one still gets explosive diarrehea and other stuff.

- acidolpholis. I will be sure to take them starting in November daily and in higher doses then normal and I will take them with me to help keep my digestive tract from flipping out to bad. Im trying to taking them daily now.

-chlorophyll pills.  Not the liquid because that would require me using up more water and water  there wont be available in large amounts .

-Lavender oil to put under my nose above the top lip to help  me not get sick over the yucky body oder. I am very senitive to smells and the body odor in many of the poverty stricken parts will make me barf. LOL. I know nothing can take the smell away so Ill really need God to help me.

-Natures Sunshines Ultimate Green Zone pills to take daily to help replace the missing nutrition due to the minute amounts of food we will have and of that minute amount of foods rice will be the major food.

-I dont want to be stuck in a poor country with no access to doctors with one of my killer bladder infections. so right now im taking concentrated cranberry juice mixed in water daily. I plan on getting some Beeyoutiful cranberry pills to get started on and to take with me.

From what I've heard, I should not be eating raw foods from the markets, and most of what we will be served will be cooked, meats and rice, fried eggroll type things. So I am concerned about how this will affect me! We can only drink bottled water. I know that ultimately I am going under God's protection and he will keep me from harm! I also want to be focusing on the mission and not being paranoid about keeping myself healthy!
I did not even think of the fruits and veggies they sell on their road side stands as being danderous for me. That is a bummer because I was planning on buying a bunch so I wouldnt have to eat that high carb rice all the time and smelly yucky tasting fish they always serve and eat. EWWWWWWWWWWW. I guess This is just another thing God will have to help me on.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Dandilion in all forms is a great gentle liver cleanser.  You could just start with a cup of the tea daily, if you are worried about your liver.  ~L

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
I'd say cranberries

The BeeYoutiful cranberry capsules are probably permitted to take on international flights as long as they are sealed.  After hearing Beka's story about being in New Guinea and my own personal experiences with taking cranberries to relieve bladder issues, I'd recommend them for sure.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
THANKS SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!!
I've gotten some great ideas so far, keep them coming if you have any more. Still wondering about the Ultra 3 Immune - would that be any good?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
THANKS SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!!
I've gotten some great ideas so far, keep them coming if you have any more. Still wondering about the Ultra 3 Immune - would that be any good?
If it was a toss up between Bee Immune and Ultra 3 Immune, I would go with the Ultra 3 Immune.  I've tried both, and I like both, but the Ultra 3 Immune got me through mono in an amazing way.  I never had to take a single med in the 2 1/2 weeks I had it, and afterward I didn't experience any of the fatigue that generally follows it -- sometimes for months.  I really attribute this to the amounts of vitamin C and Ultra 3 Immune I was taking from beginning to end.  And it has stuff in it that's good for you GI flora, too, so it's doing double duty. 
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Little Star

• Learning
Hi ladies.

I was wondering if you could help here. (I've looked at other threads, but I haven't managed to find something that answers my questions, so apologies if this has been asked/answered before.)

In October, I am going on a trip to India for a week, and I'll be working with Tibetan refugees and orphans teaching them first aid up on the Indian border. In the past, I have tended to shy well-away from vaccinations; I was fully immunised up until the age of 15 when I had my last tetanus/MMR vaccination, but since then after getting a little more informed on the controversy, I haven't had any (I'm now 25).

Also, I've started having nasty reactions to medication.... About three weeks ago after using my salbutamol inhaler, I wound up with tachycardia (pulse of 138), palpitations, breathlessness, light-headedness, etc. and the paramedics were concerned enough to discuss taking me in to hospital. I also reacted similarly in the past to local anaesthetic and certain antihistamines. I'm wondering what could happen if I had vaccinations straight into my bloodstream!

What do you think? Thanks!

millymollymandy

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Well I'm no immunizaion nazi, I have gotten them and give them to my children on a delayed schedule, one at the time.  Because we live in a seminary community and attended for MANY years, we have numerous friends who are foreign missionaries permanently, and even more friends who took short term missions through the school. 

That said, two of my friends who did not immunize got very sick.  One contracted Hepatitis (in India) and the other contracted something I forget the name of (in Burkina Faso).  I do remember her specifically telling me that everyone in the group got their immunizations except for her and she was the only one who got sick.  Seems like she got some and opted out of others.  Wish I could remember better.

Also, when I went to Belize in 1997 I did all of the vaccinations, and my parents both do vaccinations for going to China.  We also took a filled prescription of an antibiotic and clean hypodermic needles with us just in case something happened and we could not get medical attention or were taken to one of their hospitals.  As long as you have them unopened, checked under the plane you should be fine clearing customs.

Have fun!!!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mrs_zog

• Adept
  • Joseph's Coat rose bush:a gift from my parents
Hello travelers,

Does anyone know anything about midwifery in Spain? Has anyone ever lived in Spain or know someone who has and would like to penpal/keyboardpal about it? Does anyone know about a preschool Spanish curriculum? We have two daughters who are currently 2 and almost 1. I'm interested in any helpful hints you may have. Thanks.

I put my questions first so they might catch your eye on the recent posts page.  :) Then you don't have to wade through my prose if you don't want to.  ;)

We may have an opportunity to live in Spain for a year within the next few years. We are excited about the possibility as DH lived there for a semester before we were married, then we went together before kids as a second honeymoon for three weeks. We thoroughly enjoyed it. With a little brushing up, we will both be fluent again. Anyway, after pondering this opportunity for a couple days, my only concerns have to do with the possibility of having a baby overseas. I trust the Lord will provide. I don't know if DH and I are ready to go unassisted though.

Oh yes, and what would you do with your house, belongings, and animals if you were not going to be need them for a year?

Thanks again!
A woman is like a tea bag--only in hot water do you realize how strong she is. ~Nancy Reagan

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
Steve and I are absolutely thrilled that we were presented with the opportunity to go visit the Malawi Project for two weeks this coming March!   ;D We are praying about it and starting to find out what would be involved in taking a 10 month old baby with us to Africa.  Please join us in prayer.  I am so very excited at this opportunity and hope that all the multiple pieces fall into place allowing us to go.

One of the several things I would like to do if we are allowed to go is bring seeds with me to start an Herb garden there along with books teaching them how to use the herbs medicinally.  It is such a remote location that most of their medical needs will need to be treated on site since it is such a long ways to get any "Professional" care.  They have First Aid kits there but for the everyday sicknesses and ailments that can come up it would be a fantastic resource if they had their own little patch of plant medicines on hand.  The American guy that is the head of the project there right now tells the story of how the local village brought an extremely sick woman to the Farm asking for transportation to take her to the nearest city for Medical Aid.  They have the only working vehicle for miles.  He looked at his truck that had just been unloaded off the container that transported it there and it's bare minimum of gas.  Just enough to assure that it would crank when started. Knowing that it was a two hour drive to the hospital or more gas.  Praying as he loaded them up he decided he would take them as far as he could.  They made it all the way there!

Up to this time we have not gotten Noelle any vaccinations at all.  Our preference was to wait until she was a year or so old and then evaluate which vaccines we would like for her to have on an individual basis.  Now I am trying to figure out which ones would be absolutely essential to get her  in light of taking her to Africa.  She will be ten months old at the time we would be there.

If any of you have traveled over seas with an infant please let me know any resources/links that would be helpful!  I am starting the process of researching everything out that I can and any information will be greatly appreciated.  :)  Particularly relating to staying healthy as naturally as possible vs. tanking up on prescription pharmaceuticals.  ;D Thank you in advance!

Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.