Author Topic: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO  (Read 54620 times)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO
« on: July 30, 2006, 02:57:18 AM »
Here is a quote from a post I made under "dh's swelling in lower legs"

"Use DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) as a topical application for symptomatic pain. (14 Carrot has this in a roll on form)

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Second Edition, by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.
p. 51   DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) – use only health food store grade – not that found in home improvement stores
“Applying DMSO on sprained ankles, pulled muscles, dislocated joints, and even at the site of simple fractures can virtually elimate the pain. It also promoted immune system activity.
 DMSO is absorbed through the skin and enters the bloodstream by osmosis through capillary walls. It is then distributed through the circulatory system, and ultimately excreted through the urine. It has been used successfully in the treatment of brain and spinal cord damage; arthritis, Down syndrome, sciatica and other back problems, keloids, acne, burns, musculoskeletal problems, sports injuries, cancer, cinusitis, headaches, skin ulcers, herpes, and cataracts.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:03 AM »
I was looking into purchasing some DSMO.  Anyone know any more about it.  The website has it in pure form but according to FDA or who'sever standards, they are not allowed to tell you how to use it for medicinal purposes and it's listed as a solvent which is a skin irritant.

Any thoughts?  Should I purchase it in pure form or get some cream with a diluted form?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:17:38 AM »
Gusoceros,

So glad you started this thread. I've gotten bits and pieces of my research together and finally settled on a reference book on DMSO that hasn't yet arrived. I'll let you know what I learn in addition to what has been posted here.

I've been doing my own trial with this stuff because I have a child with Down syndrome. Some reports indicated that this can help in both physical and brain development because it helps oxygenate the cells. This has proved very beneficial in children with autism (I believe because they suffer from a brain injury similar to a stroke victim -- just my opinion). However, I haven't seen a lot of information on children with DS. That, coupled with the fact that I don't have information on dosages, etc. has made me cautious.

Of course, it doesn't help my confidence to read all of the cautions on the label. Because the FDA cannot do a double blind study (You KNOW when this stuff hits your system. So the 'blind' doesn't work as the participants know who gets the real stuff and who gets the placebo), it hasn't been approved for human application.

What I have done is used it on adults. In one case, it has been used to combat a persistent fungal condition on the feet with promising results. Because any treatment of this condition takes about 90 days of treatment to draw any conclusions, this is still in process. However, there has been some dramatic improvement of the nail bed and surrounding skin.

In this same person, DMSO has helped with some old scar tissue, helping to level the raised area. Coloring of the scar has normalized somewhat but it remains visible -- just not as noticeable.

Additionally, this was used successfully on an infected ear lobe. Within 6 hours, there was an improvement. By the next day, the area was healed except for a little flakiness. Since that time, the topical use of DMSO has been used on other skin applications, and I have been pleased with the results.

I have learned that it is best to be aware of the type of skin to which DMSO is applied. It can cause a stinging/burning sensation in some people. I found that when applied to the throat (to support the thyroid), it seemed to dry the skin after several applications. I have noticed, though that the thyroid function did seem to normalize. So, it may simply be a function of using the product in less generous amounts and not on a daily, but as needed, basis.

DMSO has also shown some promise in reducing (in one area eliminating) some spider veins. However, I haven't yet tried it on a varicose vein.

In two adult men, I have seen DMSO help alleviate symptoms. With an arthritic/muscle ache problem on the lower back, it helped alleviate pain. This was a male in his late 60s. In a younger man (in his 50s), I saw it help alleviate muscle pain across the shoulders tired from overwork. This may have been counterproductive, as he returned to his work rather than allowing the muscles to rest  ::).

But, my most promising and intriguing result has been in the use of this product on my 3 yr old with DS. He had bumped his mouth getting into/out of bed last week. With the cold weather, the place just didn't seem to want to heal. It got better with some GOOT, but later, the skin cracked again and seemed to be infected with the reopening of the wound.

I decided to try the DMSO on the area as I had been using it on myself long enough to feel comfortable with the application. I put a little bit on his lip and rubbed a little on his tummy as his abdominal muscles lack some tone.

After the first day, the area had gone from the whitish look to a dark pink which is his normal color for his lips. I repeated the application, thinking only about the wound. It didn't occur to me to look for other improvements.

After the second day, I saw something amazing. Apparently, the oxygenating effects on the cells have helped to improve the muscle tone and nerve receptors in his oral area. When I was researching DMSO before, I wondered if it would help normalize his jaw development as he has an under bite that will likely require surgery in a few years. However, I had filed this question away somewhere until this morning.

My little guy has a pretty good vocabulary, but his enunciation isn't the best, and he isn't overly expressive. In other words, his communication is usually one or two words, and meant to convey an immediate need.

Not today; after the second application of DMSO, I left him to check messages on the computer. He walked into the office and said (very clearly), "Ello, Mama." He walked over to me, and I scooped him up into my lap. "Hey, there!" I replied. "Aaaw," he responded, "Iyuvoo." (I love you). Then, he seemed to wait for a moment until he was sure of my favor, "Aboo?" (his word for Kombucha).

Now, that may not sound like much to some of you. But we've had to fight for every milestone in this child's life. We had to teach him how to crawl. Our neighbor built us a slide to use in our living room for this purpose. We've had to work and WORK to get the muscles he needed to wake up and show him how to walk, talk, etc. etc. For this little one to walk into the room and decide to hold his own little unprompted conversation is quite an accomplishment.

I cannot state that DMSO was the only factor. But I can tell you that it's the only thing that has changed since this cognitive leap.

My tentative conclusion thus far is that when there is an area that is degenerating or in need of support, the oxygenating effects of DMSO can be a way to deliver oxygen to the area and speed healing/development.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:14:08 AM by SC »

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:53:12 AM »

DMSO has also shown some promise in reducing (in one area eliminating) some spider veins. However, I haven't yet tried it on a varicose vein.

SC I'm so glad to hear about your son's reaction to dmso!  I was curiouse for personal application how you prepared the DMSO for treatment of spider veins and if this treatment has eliminated them long term?

Thanks!
-Heather
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 09:58:21 AM by healthybratt »

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 08:32:46 AM »

SC I'm so glad to hear about your son's reaction to dmso!  I was curiouse for personal application how you prepared the DMSO for treatment of spider veins and if this treatment has eliminated them long term?

Thanks!
-Heather

I have a bottle with a roll top application. It is from Nature's Gift and it is the formula that has 90% DMSO and 10% distilled water. They have a more diluted formula and another one that is mixed with aloe. I have also purchased this formula in a screw top bottle that I am planning to use internally.

The spider veins were treated topically. It's too soon to tell if this is long term, but they are gone  :-\. My take on it is that the condition has been corrected in this one case. Don't know if it would be helpful in all cases.

Because I prefer to get as close to the original source as I can, for now I'm thinking that we will stay with the DMSO rather than its derrivative, MSM. I'm researching now on DMSO as a daily supplement to be used with my little one. So far, the DMSO testimonials look similar to other testimonials regarding diets and supplements, but I am starting to see a common thread regarding cognitive improvements.

This is making me start to think that the use of DMSO could also be very helpful in patients suffering from brain injury, alzheimers and stroke. This is in addition to its ability to help injured skin restore itself. I have a theory that it may be useful in the treatment of such things as lymphodema (sp?), but this is just a theory at this point.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:27:45 PM »
We've discussed this solvent in several places on this forum. I wanted to share some of my recent findings, so that's why I've started a thread devoted to DMSO. I'll post more information on the solvent itself later (when I've got a little more time). For now, I just wanted to share what effects we've seen in some applications here at our house.

I have a child with Down syndrome. He is on a whole foods diet. We are in our second week of using DMSO topically with him. I use a roll-top applicator and brush some on his belly and across his lips. This is to help oxygenate his mouth and tongue cells and stimulate the nerve endings for speech. The belly application is to support muscle development there.

His speech therapist was left speechless this week. She's been seeing him for over a year and said that she got more out of him in this last session than she has in the last year. His speech is responsive, without prompting and conversational. This is not considered common in a 3 year old with Down syndrome.

The physical therapist has thrown out her evaluation forms. She was here to work with him last week and took notes to compile her evaluation. After today, she said she was glad she hadn't typed them up yet, because she was just going to have to redo all of them. He showed great abdominal control, good squatting stance and, with a little guidance, was able to pedal his tricycle (for the first time). All of this by a child that has only been walking independantly for a little more than 6 months.

Also, this past Sunday, we met with a precious congregation that we love. They are raising money for a project and invite children to put money in a large bank at the pulpit during the offering. I had been walking with my little one to be sure he didn't impose his own idea of worship on everyone else.  :o

This past Sunday, he walked forward on his own, deposited his change and returned with his brother. He only had to be reminded once not to push the pretty little girl out of the way LOL! ::)

The only thing I've been doing differently is the DMSO. I'm still taking notes, but the therapists are convinced.

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 07:32:35 AM »
SC, This is just wonderful!  I'm so happy you've found this and it's working so well!!

-Heather

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 09:04:56 AM »
I'm impressed! SC, where do you get your DMSO from? I have read about this stuff in the past, but haven't spent much time on it due to homeschooling demands. I have somebody in mind that I would like to recommend it for.

Thanks,
~MS
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »
I purchase mine from the local health food store. I use Nature's Gift brand that comes in a solution of 90% DMSO to 10% distilled water, 3 fl oz for $12.49. You can purchase this in a regular bottle or in a container with a roll-on applicator. It also comes in an aloe blend and in lesser strengths.

I have another application to report. A coworker of my husband's was having some very bad shoulder pain. It was looking like he would have to go through the red tape of workman's comp to get it taken care of. He suspected that at his age, it would require surgery and time off for physical therapy.

When he told me this, I suggested that he try DMSO as he hadn't really anything to lose. He did. I spoke with him a week ago. He stopped my husband at work today to tell him how great DMSO has been. Not only has it relieved him of the pain, but he says the soft tissue has healed. He gives it rave reviews.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 03:46:04 PM »
Well, there's yet another update. I've gone to using the DMSO on alternating days. Our little guy will always have an extra chromosome, so this will be a long term application. I've read that long term, DMSO continues to be effective in smaller doses/concentrations. So, I've decided on the every other day approach.

I've made the boys little pointy red caps with white edging and pom poms. They are a cute sight when going out with daddy in matching hat. They get lots of comments and smiles and a lot of "Merry Christmas" wishes.

So, just now, I held him and looked at him and said, "Can you say, 'Merry Christmas?'" He hesitated. I said the words slowly and he repeated them one at a time. Then, I said, "Say, 'Merry Christmas!'" He responded, "Airee Ishma."

That's two words, ladies and gentlemen! Two words and two syllables. We'll work on those hard consonants at the beginning of them, but it will come.

I said, "Go tell daddy!" He walked over to his daddy and said, "Airee Ishma!"

Last year at this time, we had a few single words and no walking . . .

This year, we'll have a VERY "Airee Ishma!"

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 02:23:58 AM »
SC,
   Your report is wonderful!  God is so good!  I sat at my computer desk with tears in my eyes,  thank you for making my Christmas Eve brighter!!!  I just wanna shout....

Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 07:01:57 AM »
Hi I just noticed your post on DMSO.  I have the 70% DMSO in aloe, but I have tried it on my husband and myself and for both of us the area turn red and got VERY itchy.  Have you had any problems like that?   :-\

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 10:02:57 AM »
Hi I just noticed your post on DMSO.  I have the 70% DMSO in aloe, but I have tried it on my husband and myself and for both of us the area turn red and got VERY itchy.  Have you had any problems like that?   :-\

I've noticed that if I use too much or put it on an especially thin area of skin (inside arms, neck, belly, etc.) repeatedly, it will get a little itchy and dry. It doesn't take much of this stuff to work. It's like brushing a thin coat of paint on the area -- not like applying a lotion.

HTH

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 11:01:56 AM »

Another thought.. My husband has this exact reaction with ANYTHING containing aloe, so that could be the culprit. 

-Heather

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
Hi ~ I was wondering if someone knew of a good online place I could order this?  I went to our local health food store and they no longer sell it.  He recommended a feed store, but I was worried that what they might carry might be the industrial stuff.  Thanks!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 04:52:16 PM »
http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=5344
The above link has the brand in the roll on applicator that I use at the 90% formulation. They retail it at $8.32, which is way less than I pay locally, but by the time you tack on their shipping, it comes out about the same -- and it's delivered to your door.

I haven't done business with these people. They have a toll free number you can call with questions.

HTH

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 08:52:03 PM »
SC,

Is there any chance this stuff would help my adrenal glands and/or other hormonal issues?  My adrenals are so close to shutting down and I'm working my tail off naturally to fix them but I wonder if this stuff would help that process?  Any guesses or research?

It is very exciting to hear of your son's progress with this stuff!  What a neat thing to happen at Christmas.   :D

patti
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:58:56 PM by patti »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline MumCLS

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 09:27:02 PM »
Hello All...
I liked reading about this DMSO stuff.  I am very unfamiliar with this but it sounds so promising when I read about the little Down's Boy!  My 3 month old son has a heart defect (which by the way has been downgraded from "moderate cardiomyopathy" to "mild cardiomyopathy") and possibly Noonan Syndrome.  I say possibly because he has the physical characteristics of Noonan but all of his genetic testing came back normal.  I think I am going to look into this DMSO to see if it could possibly help him out.  Praise the LORD for what He is doing for these "little sheep of HIS"!!!!!!!!!
God Bless you all!

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 01:27:26 AM »
SC,

Is there any chance this stuff would help my adrenal glands and/or other hormonal issues?  My adrenals are so close to shutting down and I'm working my tail off naturally to fix them but I wonder if this stuff would help that process?  Any guesses or research?

It is very exciting to hear of your son's progress with this stuff!  What a neat thing to happen at Christmas.   :D

patti

I'm not certain, Patti  :-\.
In my very unqualified opinion ( 8)), I would think that any area of the body that is attempting to heal itself would benefit from a DMSO application in that the additional oxygen to the cells will support repair/healing. I would just start slow with a once daily application and watch for side effects.

I've also read the cautions on applying DMSO with regard to it "taking" other substances into the skin. My take on it is that the caution is a bit overstated. While I wouldn't want to apply DMSO on my skin if I had cleaning products or some other liquid on the skin, DMSO will kill bacteria and fungus because of its oxygenating properties.

Also, I've seen formulations of DMSO that include aloe. While aloe is fine for a drink or skin application, it isn't a substance that would be beneficial directly injected into the human body. I don't think it can travel with the DMSO into the skin or we'd see some REALLY bad reactions (life-threatening). My opinion is that a substance must have similar qualities of the DMSO in order to be able to move with it into the blood stream and surrounding tissues. Dirt, fungus, bacteria, etc. don't have those properties -- although, I'd want to have the area clean before application.

I'm just thinking that in the instance of the treatment of acne and/or other skin applications, DMSO helps correct the problem. If it took the surface infection deeper instead of killing it, we would be seeing all sorts of counter indications for its use that we aren't seeing.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 05:21:30 AM »
Just an add on to the previous post.

I did some searching through some scientific and medical essays on the net. I read until my eyes started to cross from all of the medicalspeek. But I learned that DMSO is used as a preservative for organs that are harvested for transplant. Its properties allow it to both penetrate and support the cells of the organ until it can be used.

Also, DMSO is used a lot with experiments on the endocrine system and when they want to know the effects of a substance on major organs (brain, lungs, liver, etc.). The method is to suspend the substance in DMSO and then introduce it to the subject (usually a rodent). Later, they measure the amount of the substance and its effect on the targeted organs. In other words, DMSO is good at delivering substances to the endocrine system and major organs, meaning that DMSO is able to get to those areas.

So, to the extent that the oxygenating effects on the cells in the adrenals are helped by DMSO, I would say that DMSO could be helpful in conjunction with other measures.

I see DMSO more as a support, not a cure all for conditions. In other words, as I have modified our diet and lifestyle, these things have helped my little guy with DS improve. DMSO just enhances and helps support our efforts.

HTH

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 09:27:07 AM »
Hi SC,

So if I'm reading this correctly, DMSO would probably help the cortisol I'm getting from Isocort to be more effectively "used" in my body?  Since the supplements I'm taking are mostly oral would the topical use of the DMSO provide the same effects, I wonder????  I think I'm going to try this just to see.  Now - where exactly do I put this stuff to hit my adrenal glands?  Lower right and left flank of my back???  Also, I'm thinking applying it to my bladder might help heal the lining of my bladder?  If extra oxygen is that good, it has got to be good for the bladder lining too.  Hmmmm.  Lots to think about. 

Thanks for your research efforts.  I'll get a bottle and let you know if it helps with the adrenals and bladder.   :)

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 10:00:49 AM »
I found this quote on the following site:
http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/interstitialcystitis/

Bladder Instillation

During a bladder instillation, also called a bladder wash or bath, the bladder is filled with a solution that is held for varying periods of time, averaging 10 to 15 minutes, before being emptied.

The only drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for bladder instillation is dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO, RIMSO-50). DMSO treatment involves guiding a narrow tube called a catheter up the urethra into the bladder. A measured amount of DMSO is passed through the catheter into the bladder, where it is retained for about 15 minutes before being expelled. Treatments are given every week or two for 6 to 8 weeks and repeated as needed. Most people who respond to DMSO notice improvement 3 or 4 weeks after the first 6- to 8-week cycle of treatments. Highly motivated patients who are willing to catheterize themselves may, after consultation with their doctor, be able to have DMSO treatments at home. Self-administration is less expensive and more convenient than going to the doctor's office.

Doctors think DMSO works in several ways. Because it passes into the bladder wall, it may reach tissue more effectively to reduce inflammation and block pain. It may also prevent muscle contractions that cause pain, frequency, and urgency.

A bothersome but relatively insignificant side effect of DMSO treatments is a garlic-like taste and odor on the breath and skin that may last up to 72 hours after treatment. Long-term treatment has caused cataracts in animal studies, but this side effect has not appeared in humans. Blood tests, including a complete blood count and kidney and liver function tests, should be done about every 6 months.

Now - where exactly do I put this stuff to hit my adrenal glands?  Lower right and left flank of my back???  Also, I'm thinking applying it to my bladder might help heal the lining of my bladder?  If extra oxygen is that good, it has got to be good for the bladder lining too.  Hmmmm.  Lots to think about.
The way I use it is directly over an area that is posing some difficulty. If it is for a more general use (such as to support brain function and/or immune function, etc.) Then, you could apply it wherever is most convenient.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 08:17:20 PM »
SC,

This is so interesting.  This treatment is one of the most "approved" of treatments for interstitial cytitis that there is.  But it doesn't work!  Actually, it makes things worse.  I know several people who've had this done and ended up in worse pain in the long run.  I think that this treatment would work for folks who don't have IC.   Here's why - I have found in all of my reading and via personal experience - things that most people would recommend for fixing the bladder actually make IC much worse.  For example - I can't touch B vitamins, cranberry, caprilyc (sp?) acid, vitamin C, etc.  If I even drink orange juice the vit. C in it sends me into total pain when it hits my bladder.  But that's because of the damaged bladder lining.  So I have to do things in round about ways.  I get my B's in my supermom and it doesn't seem to be as bothersome, I get my C in foods only and even then not "acidy" type foods, I stay away from cranberries!, etc.  So they way around the "wash" is I think I"ll just put it on my skin over my bladder.  I know it's weird but IC is weird.  When I went searching for natural treatments I was only able to find one book written by a lady who healed hers naturally.  My sister has the same thing (it's an auto-immune issue) and she's done ALL of the treatments they recommend and she's a mess.  She now is having seizures because of the meds she's taking for the pain.  She also said the DMSO didn't work for her. 

Okay - that was way more info then you wanted to know but I thought I'd share the wash info with you.   :)

I'm hoping to order my bottle tonight.   :)  I'm going to try it over my adrenals and bladder and see what happens.  I'll keep you posted.

Patti

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 04:03:43 AM »
You know, Patti, when I see applications for DMSO where it is used by injection, it makes me wonder why. DMSO does penetrate the skin. I suspect that this is just a holdover from before they knew all of the properties of DMSO.

Also, I don't see DMSO as a 'soloist' in healing, but one very powerful tool to be used with other measures. So, before DMSO is used, I emphasize the necessity to examine other factors like diet, environment, ect. Given a chance, I believe DMSO can be of great benefit. However, I also realize that there will be people who will continue to abuse their bodies and wonder why DMSO didn't help. :-\

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:21:43 PM »
SC, it is wonderful to hear about the improvements made by your son! I shared your story with my family and they were moved. I am going to purchase DMSO for my hubby and FIL to try out. My FIL has arthritis in his legs. My husband has had some difficulty with his joints and back. He is always in some kind of pain. I'm hoping it works for them.
My question is, I read that it is good for scarring and I was thinking about applying it to my C-section scar, more for the internal healing. But, I read a warning that pregnant and nursing moms shouldn't use it. I see this warning on a lot of things and I always make an educated choice. However, I don't know enough. Any thoughts? My son is nursing exclusively, he is 4 mos. Thanks!
Jessica

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 12:54:19 PM »
Regarding usage by pregnant and/or nursing moms. My personal rule of thumb is that there are more things I would try in the latter stages of pregnancy and nursing than in the early stages. In other words, I would be less concerned the older the child/pregnancy. However, regarding DMSO,  ??? I just don't know. The approach I would take would be based on the seriousness of the condition. In other words, if I thought it would help stabilize a condition that was threatening a pregnancy, of course I would try it on myself. BUT if it is something cosmetic that can wait, I would just wait. HTH

I have an additional update on DMSO. Our little guy has stopped with the foot slapping wide footed ship deck type gait. His gait is normal. He can step over objects without assistance, and he has started to take running steps. The physical therapist even tells me specific muscle groups to apply it to before their sessions, because she has noticed a difference. His speech continues to improve.

Two other applications that have been encouraging: Our toddler is now greatly entertained by opening and closing EVERYTHING. Yesterday, he had gone into our room, shut the door behind him and proceeded to empty our drawers. I heard a crash and found him on the floor crying with a pile of clothes around him and a framed picture next to him. I couldn't tell if/where he had been hit. When I gave him a bath, I noticed a large purple mark forming across the bridge of his nose and forehead. I applied DMSO and within an hour the area was just a faint pink patch. Within two hours, it was gone.

The second instance was when my back erupted into muscle spasms. This happens when I am overtired and doing heavy work. The normal result -- even with chiropractic care, massage therapist, medication, herbal rubs, etc. -- is that it must run its course for about a day with the following day for my own recovery. That's if I begin treatment with the first twinge -- then I only lose TWO days.

At the onset of pain, I grabbed the DMSO and gave it a try. At best, I was hoping for it to stop the spasms so that I could get a little rest. However, DMSO surprised me yet again. I rolled generously over the problem areas (I was really in pain). Every spot that the DMSO hit, stopped hurting right away! I had to reapply in about 15 minutes and then another application about an hour later, but that was it. I warmed my flax seed pad and laid it over the area while I slept. I had a night free of pain and the next day did not suffer from the residual soreness and the tiredness which are the normal course.

I've lived with this condition off and on for nearly 25 years. Nothing else has been as effective.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:38:33 PM »
You know, Patti, when I see applications for DMSO where it is used by injection, it makes me wonder why. DMSO does penetrate the skin. I suspect that this is just a holdover from before they knew all of the properties of DMSO.

Also, I don't see DMSO as a 'soloist' in healing, but one very powerful tool to be used with other measures. So, before DMSO is used, I emphasize the necessity to examine other factors like diet, environment, ect. Given a chance, I believe DMSO can be of great benefit. However, I also realize that there will be people who will continue to abuse their bodies and wonder why DMSO didn't help. :-\

SC,

AI's are weird.  I don't know why it is that something like cranberry that someone would normally use for the bladder would be so detrimental for IC.  It makes sense what you said about the DMSO internal washes being a hold over.  Apparently the AMA still hasn't figured this out because they used this method on my sister not long ago.   :-\ 

I absolutely agree with the "soloist" healing.  It has been a combination of total diet changes (nothing white), lots of herbal mucilage teas, liver cleanses, etc. that has healed my bladder to the point it's at today.  I think internal healing is so multi-faceted.  Rarely is it just one thing, I think, that heals anything major. 

What great news on the DMSO with your son and your back!  I still have not had time to get it.  I keep telling myself I'm going to order it every night and time keeps getting away from me.   :(  I want to try it so bad.  I'm so close to being totally off of any pain relievers.  Just a small hump to get over.

patti

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2007, 03:07:52 PM »
Anyone else had trouble getting this at your local HFS?  I asked about it and the owner said that nobody will sell it to him; too controversial.  So, looks like I have to go through a website for purchasing it.  :-\

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 05:08:44 PM »
Anyone else had trouble getting this at your local HFS? 

I was at TSC, picking up leg wraps for my horse, and it was there with veterinarian type products.  I paid $5.03 for 4oz.  It clearly states that is not for use on humans. I wasn't looking for it, just happened to see it.

Hope that helps.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 06:58:30 PM »
I want to try the DMSO on my son.  I can buy DMSO for really cheap off another website(I forget the name).  I will probably buy the liquid.  How much do I put on my son's foot?  Does it just take a couple of drops?  I will probably not buy the roll on since the whole family will be using it.  Just don't want to use too much on my son.  Oh, buy the way, I'm using to help reverse damage done by vaccines.  Thanks in advance.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).