Author Topic: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO  (Read 54154 times)

cecac

Re: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:11 AM »
Thank you patti,

I may try Walgreens for the roll-that might help relieve the chronic mid back pain when it hits, much like is being said about DMSO.

I think I will increase the MSM, but I guess gradually.

Blessings,
Cara

YoopreMama

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 02:07:07 AM »
DMSO is one treatment recommended for Dupuytren's Contracture (disease of the fingers)...we may try it.  Thanks for all the research!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2007, 04:53:47 PM »
Hi there.  I ordered the roll on type for my dh back.  His back is better now, so we haven't used it yet, but was wondering if it would work for the terrible aches I have in my lower back and legs?  I don't know if it's arthrisits or what, have had this problem since I was a little girl. 

Do you just rub it on?  And then just let it dry?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2007, 05:25:47 PM »
While I have only been using the MSM roll on since my last post I have continued to research DMSO.  I bought a book from WP foundation titled DMSO.  It is FULL of clinical research.  Most of the studies cited are from the 1960's and 1970's.  As I read it I find myself being less concerned with "unintended consequences."  However, after I finish the book I will be looking for newer studies that do any follow-up on the old ones to see if there were any long term affects of DMSO treatment noted.  Particularly cancer.  It's been an interesting search thus far.  I'll post the old/new study comparisons as soon as I get through it all.

Wlwest, you would just have to try on your legs and back to see.  I think the important thing that SC noted is that she doesn't use it continually  but at noted times when it seems appropriate.  So you will have to determine what that is for you.  Yep, you just roll it on and let it dry. 

As a side note, I have been using the MSM roll on instead of the DMSO until I do further research and I have found it very effective.  If you need something all the time you might try the Stopain that I noted above.  It has been great for me and there is no limit to how often I can use it.  Also, try taking MSM in pill form in high doses for your legs/back.  I get tremendous relief from it when my hands are hurting. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline DarlingSweetHeart

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
We tried DMSO.  Use with caution.

My DH has shoulder pain and then gives him a terrible headache that only aspirin takes away....for years he has been taking aspirin to give him relief, but as you may have guessed, it also thins his blood and he gets nosebleeds easily when he takes them.
In hopes of finding something to work for him, I ran across the info on DMSO and read up on it...he was willing to try it and used it 2xs and then he said he didn't want to use it again.
He said it burned like a bad sunburn...he also compared it to a chemical burn (like lacquer thinner--sp?).  His skin look welted and reddish with raw flesh appearance.  I had applied it to his low back and previously to his neck and shoulder blade area.  I did not apply a lot, just enough to wet the spot that ached.  I used Nature's Gift Roll On 90%DMSO 10% distilled. 
My DH wanted me to at least tell others about his experience.
Anyhow, there it is.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »
I agree that it burns like a chemical burn.  To be fair, the book about DMSO does say to dilute it, because 90% is very strong, and can irritate the skin.  Besides the fact that it hurts to put it on straight, it also lightly pigmented my skin.  Maybe it makes it more sun sensitive, because I have a light brown spot where I applied it. 

It also did not make my spider veins dissappear, but I only used it a few times, because it hurt and turned my skin brown.  Maybe if I applied it more consistently, and diluted it, it would have worked better. 

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »
My hubby had encephalitis a year ago, and after reading about DMSO on this website I made him let me rub it on his neck, where I knew the swelling in his brain to be from his MRI pictures.  He's now, a year later, almost back to normal.  I have no idea what role the DMSO played in his recovery, but when you consider the odds of recovering from encephalitis, I have to strongly consider that using DMSO might have helped???  (1/2 die from it, of the ones that live, 1/2 have varying degrees of brain damage)

Before I rubbed it on my sick hubby, I asked my dad, an extremely knowledgeable & intelligent forensics chemist, about it, and HE said that DMSO was commonly used by illegal drug users to carry the drugs into their system quickly.  I would guess that this is why its become so difficult to find?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »
My hubby had encephalitis a year ago, and after reading about DMSO on this website I made him let me rub it on his neck, where I knew the swelling in his brain to be from his MRI pictures.  He's now, a year later, almost back to normal.  I have no idea what role the DMSO played in his recovery, but when you consider the odds of recovering from encephalitis, I have to strongly consider that using DMSO might have helped???  (1/2 die from it, of the ones that live, 1/2 have varying degrees of brain damage)

Before I rubbed it on my sick hubby, I asked my dad, an extremely knowledgeable & intelligent forensics chemist, about it, and HE said that DMSO was commonly used by illegal drug users to carry the drugs into their system quickly.  I would guess that this is why its become so difficult to find?

Texas Girl,
I am so glad to hear your hubby is doing much better. I remember when you first posted about his illness, and we were all very concerned. Thanks for the info on the DMSO. I think that is a very good way to use it. I gotta lock that in my peabrain somewhere.... :D
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2008, 07:37:58 PM »
Thank you Mama Sita!  I have no idea how we would have survived that ordeal without WTM.  For SO many reasons! Of course its still an ordeal, and we're still surviving the aftermath...

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2008, 02:24:07 PM »
I had to report my latest DMSO experience.  In a very dumb (blonde?) moment, I didn't think my iron was on and grabbed it with both hands.  Well, it WAS on and burned one hand very badly, probably the worst burn I've ever had.  I kept ice on it for hours and it was starting to blister up, all across the entire palm side of my hand.  The only 'remedy' I had available that my Nutritional Healing book recommended was DMSO, so I rubbed that all over my hand and palm.  The burning sensation stopped almost immediately, and the next morning, my hand was totally back to normal.  My hand SHOULD have been covered in blisters, and there were none, and not even any redness.  It was almost miraculous.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
Wow!  did you put it on full strength??  Was it the liquid or the gel?  What strength was it??  In my book 'Comfort for the Burned and Wounded', the amish writer recommended DMSO for taking away the pain of burns!!  I just read that yesterday, and wondered how he used it!   

So glad it helped you feel so much better.  How great to find such a good burn remedy!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2008, 06:41:02 PM »
I use a 90% liquid solution in a roll-on bottle.  I was a little scared to put it on my burn at first, because it DOES burn your skin at times, but I figured it couldn't hurt worse than it was already hurting.  It took the burning, throbbing sensation away almost instantly.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:42 AM »
It also comes in a spray bottle for a no-touch application.

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
This might be a dumb question but can someone describe to me what this stuff actually is?  Is it 'natural'?  What is it derived from?  What does the term 'solvent' mean?

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2008, 05:24:56 PM »
This might be a dumb question but can someone describe to me what this stuff actually is?  Is it 'natural'?  What is it derived from?  What does the term 'solvent' mean?

bump

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2008, 06:42:03 PM »

bump

M,

Okay, I can't give you the technical name to this stuff.  I know it oxygenates the skin/organs, whatever you put it on, which in turn helps healing.  The solvent issue is the one thing that has kept me from using it reguarly to treat my IC.  Think of solvents like turpentine.  You use it to clean your paintbrushes, etc.  Solvents are known to cause cancer.  So, that is the struggle most people have when it comes to if/when they should use DMSO.  Not sure if that helped much.  I'm still on the fence and going to talk to my new ND about it.  My old ND was totally opposed to it but she leaned more medical so........

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
DMSO stands for dimethyl sulfoxide.  Before I used it on our family, I had a long talk with a forensics chemist who has years and years of extensive knowledge of chemicals.  He basically said that DMSO was pretty much neutral, but is used to carry other substances into the body.  It in itself doesn't have any effect.  (From my limited understanding of what he said...this is what I gathered).  The reason it is outlawed some places and so difficult to find in others is that drug users use it to carry illegal drugs into their system through their skin.  It isn't the DMSO thats the problem, per se, its what its used for.  I think the reason it is healing is because of the oxygen it carries into your system.

The 'solvent' issue doesn't scare me too much, because not all solvents are created equal.  If you think about it WATER is a solvent, the 'universal solvent' in fact because over enough time it will dissolve anything.  It was water that dissolved that huge canyon into Arizona.  So just because DMSO is called a solvent.....what does that really mean?  On the scale of solvents between water and battery acid, where does DMSO fall....I have no idea.

Feel free to correct me if I've said anything wrong....this is all just my opinion. :)

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2008, 04:02:38 AM »
I have a testimony about DMSO.  For a couple of months my husband had been developing a weird rash.  It started on his chest and spread all over his torso to his back and under his arms.  I don't know what it was.  Red itchy patches.  We tried coconut oil on them and some other things and it was not improving.  We tried DMSO for 5 day.  It was starting to improve and my husband stopped using it.  A couple days later the rash was completely gone.

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2008, 04:52:28 PM »
I thought I remembered reading on here about someone using DMSO on a sunburn.  Now I can't find it.  Was it my imagination??  Anybody have any input....can/should you use it on a sunburn?  I know I've tried it on a burn with success....just wondering, as I sit here aching with my scorched burgundy skin..... :-[

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »
There was a previous post that warned of a sunburn-like reaction to 90% DMSO applied to her dh's lower back.  It was probably a bit too strong, or the pores of his skin were open (from heat, sweating or a warm shower).

I have googled it, and there are references to DMSO as a remedy for burns and sunburns.  Proceed with caution.  You might have better luck with fresh aloe, lavendar, St. John's Wort, tea tree oil, chamomile, green/white/black tea, acv, coconut oil, cool baths...

Remember, it is important to soothe the burn, relieve the heat, and reduce the inflammation.  So, hydrate, use a topical, and take something anti-inflammatory by mouth.

I am sorry for your "owie".

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
Actually, I tried the DMSO last night, and felt almost instant relief.  This morning, its still very tender but much less red.  I know this isn't a CO thread but on one shoulder I had hubby rub some coconut oil, and it was HORRIBLE...it seemed to trap the heat in and instantly felt many degrees hotter.  It was late last night when I got home from the lake and didn't have any aloe or anything else you listed.  The DMSO seemed to do in a pinch!  I do have some ACV so I'll try some of that this morning.  Thanks for the input!

Offline jessica

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
a month ago i got attacked by a dog.  the tip of my finger was bit off and several other places on my hands were bitten as well.  i am having problems with wrist feeling sprained, my knuckles do not bend properly and scar tissue developing.  does anyone have any idea as to whether DMSO applied to my hands might help?  i am nursing a 3 month old would that mean i should not try it?  also would DMSO help a child who has trouble concentrating/staying on task?
Jessica

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,17212.msg174179.html#msg174179

Reply #1 from ForeverGirl about healing a knuckle joint.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
Any more reports on how the spider veins are doing with DMSO application?  My legs are covered with them and I would like to know if it really does work before I use the DMSO and have to put up with that yucky taste and smell.  :P  :P( I am one of those who is REALLY affected by the stuff.)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 04:40:39 AM »
I have seen this thread off and on but never really read it as I didn't think I had any "need" for it.  Now I am wondering and wishing I had read it b/f.  I got a Newsmax email talking about The hushedup truth about DMSO.  It was talking about pain relief.  My did(missionary)is fixing to come to the states for an MRI for his back b/c he is in constant pain so I thought hey I will read on WTM b/c I know it isn't "hushed up"  ;D over there.  Well, as I was reading about all the uses I started thinking about my 7 yr old daughter who fell off a play fort when she was 2 or 3.  I think 3.  She fell on her face I knew nothing at that time.  I have since taken her to the chiro but only starting at the age of 5 and we were never able to go often.  I know she still needs adjusting BUT she still "shakes" and has a very unsteady hand when trying to do things like flip pancakes etc.  Now I am wondering if this would help heal her.  The chiro has helped but never totally.  Would this acutally heal her whatever was damaged? and would it just be needed for a time or forever youthink? And where would I put it?  would the cheek she fell on be the place or her back or her neck?  She still falls often which really concerns me.  Just wondered what opinions would be on it.  I am going to tell my husband and maybe try this if you ladies think that would be a good idea and it sounds like something the DMSO would be good for.  TIA

Offline Diana

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »
DMSO has been a household product of ours for a couple years now. We use it for pretty much anything. My boyfriend uses it regularily on his lower back for muscle spasms and on his hand for 'trigger finger' pain (which is now gone). We have used it on brusises, minor wounds, burns, tendonitis in my knees, acne, and keloided scars. It does have a burning/stinging sensation when first applied, but fades within approx 20-30 minutes. I would recommend starting with the 70/30 strength to see how yours skin reacts to it. It amazes me how it is able to speed the healing process.

Offline ~CKMom~

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »
Does anyone have any definitive information about using DMSO with cats?  After reading about Beka's knuckle joint, I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to use it on the cat.  (Was hit by a car, has a broken pelvis and blown out knee ligaments.  Have been told the pelvis will heal, but the knee is shot and the leg will be useless).

On the other hand, I know that cats are sensitive to things even more so than dogs.  Don't want to make him worse off than he is!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2008, 08:34:50 AM »
Has anyone experienced getting hives from using DMSO? My dad bought some in a pharmacy in Brazil and it is 50%D and 50% my just says gel, I don't know what kind.  It feels like aloe vera but I don't know if that is what it is but my dad was unable to use it after about a week b/c it made him itch SO BAD.  Does that mean they were maybe using to much at a time?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »
Mine is 70% DMSO and 30% aloe, and mine makes me itch like crazy too.  It's jsut part of it.  I also get hives sometimes, but they go away quickly.  I think it may be a detox reaction.

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
I was wondering, would DMSO help with pain for kidney cancer?  I read in the cancer step outside the box book that it's actually a cancer treatment!  I have a bottle, roll on 90% 10% diluted.  I used it the other night on my back and legs, (feet get cold and make my legs ache terrible) it worked great!!  I wish I would have tried it before.

Do you think it would help my brother who just found out he has kidney cancer?  He's in so much pain, I thought I would just tell him to rub in on maybe 2 times a day?  Or is that too much?  he could at least try it while he is waiting for surgery.

Any thoughts on this?

Wendy