Author Topic: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO  (Read 54362 times)

Offline tropix

• Learning
Re: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 04:52:47 PM »

DMSO has also shown some promise in reducing (in one area eliminating) some spider veins. However, I haven't yet tried it on a varicose vein.

SC I'm so glad to hear about your son's reaction to dmso!  I was curiouse for personal application how you prepared the DMSO for treatment of spider veins and if this treatment has eliminated them long term?

Thanks!
-Heather

I have a bottle with a roll top application. It is from Nature's Gift and it is the formula that has 90% DMSO and 10% distilled water. They have a more diluted formula and another one that is mixed with aloe. I have also purchased this formula in a screw top bottle that I am planning to use internally.

The spider veins were treated topically. It's too soon to tell if this is long term, but they are gone  :-\. My take on it is that the condition has been corrected in this one case. Don't know if it would be helpful in all cases.

Because I prefer to get as close to the original source as I can, for now I'm thinking that we will stay with the DMSO rather than its derrivative, MSM. I'm researching now on DMSO as a daily supplement to be used with my little one. So far, the DMSO testimonials look similar to other testimonials regarding diets and supplements, but I am starting to see a common thread regarding cognitive improvements.

This is making me start to think that the use of DMSO could also be very helpful in patients suffering from brain injury, alzheimers and stroke. This is in addition to its ability to help injured skin restore itself. I have a theory that it may be useful in the treatment of such things as lymphodema (sp?), but this is just a theory at this point.

I have a son with mild autism PDD. I am very interested in this. Exactly how do you give it if it is for the brain? Rub it on his head?  ;D It seems the main article on DMSO was talking about putting it topically where needed. Can it be taken internally? Is this something you can only get on line or can you get it at health food stores? Are there any side effects for long term use? Thanks for any info!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
My FIL has horrible circulation in his legs. I convinced him to try DMSO. He has been applying for three days now and we can see major improvement! Spots that were just black and brown, now look alive with a pink color. His varicose veins have shrunk down to at least half the size they were. He said he thinks the pain in his knees and legs is decreasing. We are excited with the results.
My MIL just found out she has breast cancer and we are hoping that daily applications will help reduce the size of her tumor, since she is taking the natural route. Thank you for posting all your testimonies about DMSO.
I do have a question. My FIL applied it with his hands, did some things after it had dried, washed them and moved on. He was washing the dishes and when he took his hand out of the water, it looked like he had been in the bathtub for a few hours! He said it was hard, not soft and sore. Do you think it was the dish detergent getting into his system? I'm really at a lose as to what it is...any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jessica

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2007, 05:38:31 AM »
He was washing the dishes and when he took his hand out of the water, it looked like he had been in the bathtub for a few hours! He said it was hard, not soft and sore. Do you think it was the dish detergent getting into his system? I'm really at a lose as to what it is...any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jessica
DMSO has the unique ability to carry things into the body with it when it is applied to the skin, including toxins like those in dish soap (SLS, fragrance, color, etc.).  If he had some kind of reaction that does not normally occur, this would be my guess.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2007, 07:46:15 AM »
I do have a question. My FIL applied it with his hands, did some things after it had dried, washed them and moved on. He was washing the dishes and when he took his hand out of the water, it looked like he had been in the bathtub for a few hours! He said it was hard, not soft and sore. Do you think it was the dish detergent getting into his system? I'm really at a lose as to what it is...any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jessica

If the DMSO had dried and then he had washed his hands before moving on, I wouldn't think it is a reaction caused by the DMSO. My understanding is that the liquid has already passed the skin barrier after drying and no longer a factor on the skin's surface.

Regarding the cancer, DMSO may serve as a support, but it is not considered a stand alone treatment. I'd like to hear how your MIL comes along with her treatments. If she is looking for additional treatment, you could check the thread on iodine deficiency. Iodine supplementation has been used successfully to help the cells normalize their growth and help dissolve breast tumors.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2007, 08:16:54 AM »
Thanks for the information, all of that makes sense. As for my MIL, she is doing other treatments and I will defiantly look at the iodine thread. I'll post more on another thread because I don't want to get too off topic! ;)
Jessica

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2007, 04:11:13 PM »
Hey there SC- just thought I would mention that I ordered in 8fl oz of 99.7% Pure DMSO from www.msm-msm.com for $10.  I ordered in some for myself, and have been using it on some of my martial arts injuries and sore spots- it seems to be working pretty well.  I had a really sore wrist I could hardly move- and it took the edge off of it in about 45 seconds.  I diluted it about 50% in aloe juice for application.  Do you have a recommendation about what concentration to use to apply??  The bottle said not to apply full strength.

G

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2007, 05:59:11 AM »
SC,
I was wondering if you got the book on DSMO you were waiting for?
You wanted to research more on dmso. I was hoping you would post more on what you found on dmso.
I have two friends who have children, one with autism and the other with Down Syndrome and autism. They are both using mannatec product called ambertose. My friend is seeing a change in her son with the down syndrome. But I haven't heard from my friend with her son and the autism. I sent her the ambertose in January. Now I want to give them the dmso.
But I didn't know what to tell them to do with it. I bought the dsmo already from the internet and I got both the roll on and the liquid. The strongest and the one lesser strength. Or, If the book is good, i can send them the books also. They are always researching.
Thank you for any information you can give.
Faith

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
Hey there SC- just thought I would mention that I ordered in 8fl oz of 99.7% Pure DMSO from www.msm-msm.com for $10.  I ordered in some for myself, and have been using it on some of my martial arts injuries and sore spots- it seems to be working pretty well.  I had a really sore wrist I could hardly move- and it took the edge off of it in about 45 seconds.  I diluted it about 50% in aloe juice for application.  Do you have a recommendation about what concentration to use to apply??  The bottle said not to apply full strength.

G
I use the 99.9% strength without the aloe. I prefer the roll on for ease of application. Because I use this strength, I take the following precautions: I treat pain and injuries EARLY with a light application. If relief isn't felt within 15 minutes, I re-apply (this is RARE).

As a therapy aid, I use it daily (in light application to trouble areas -- for strength, muscle toning and to help developing nerve endings), but I take a break from it about every third month or so for 3 or 4 weeks. I would not take such a long break if I thought we were losing ground.

A characteristic of DMSO that I have found is that with the daily application, less frequency and smaller doses are required for the same effect.

I will also say that in one instance of severe back spasms, I overdid the application a little (my 'patient' was in lots of pain). He got relief, but I noticed that the skin became red, but not inflamed. At first, I thought I may have caused a type of burn, but it was gone the next day without ill effect. My conclusion is that the blood was drawn to the area, resulting in the temporary redness.

SC,
I was wondering if you got the book on DSMO you were waiting for?
You wanted to research more on dmso. I was hoping you would post more on what you found on dmso.

The book I purchased was DMSO, Nature's Healer by Dr. Morton Walker. I found the book mostly anecdotal and out of date (1993). He does detail the studies done on children with DS, but I found the study to be grossly flawed (he covers some of this). Also, the application was intravenous in combination with dietary supplementation. They were actually using it as a carrier for the vitamins. So, the study attributed the positive findings to the vitamin supplementation rather than the therapeutic effects of the DMSO. I found the methodology and the conclusions to be very flawed.

However, he discusses the use of DMSO for sports injuries, arthritis therapy, foot and leg problems, spinal cord injuries, and other applications. Again, this is mostly a compilation of others' findings, but it is good information. I found it interesting that while DMSO is known to penetrate the skin and get into the cells with a topical application, more than one study used injections and/or oral doses (I couldn't see the logic in that).

I found the book useful from the standpoint of understanding the history of the usage in human applications of DMSO. However, it gave me enough confidence to proceed as outlined above. I did not use it on family members until I tried it on myself for 30 days to verify its safety. I learned that repeated applications to tender skin (neck, inside of the arm, lips, etc.) will result in chapped and/or dry skin, but that is easily remedied by varying your point of application. This is not an issue when used for pain relief as it is usually a one time point of pain application. My only counter indication was when I decided to see what would happen when I applied it directly over my thyroid. After about 2 or 3 days, the area became tender. I immediately discontinued that application.

As your friend with special needs children already knows, the most promising and cutting edge helps are often found and used by parents before the medical community determines it is an accepted practice. I would proceed with caution watching the child for improvement and/or counter indications and respond accordingly.

So, right now, my 'study' of DMSO is just in my own applications here around the home. I don't hesitate to use it when a young one gets a bump that could become a bruise and for burns. It is very effective in these types of first aid applications (again, these are light 'painting' type of applications).

If anyone else sees published results of more recent studies, I'd be interested in seeing what they found.

Offline skinnyankles

• Learning
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 05:12:36 PM »

My dog has benefited with DMSO. she had an infection in the flap of her ear as a result of surgery for a hematoma in the ear flap.  Due to the infection we were highly encouraged to have the flap removed.  But greatfully the referal doctor couldn't see us for 4 days. By then the other dr in our vet clinic had returned and gave our dog's wound a cleaning and again suggested surgery but was supportive of our request to continue to cleanse it with H2O2 and home made Real Salt normal saline.  Fortunitatly after that every visit the ear imporved slightly. 

We were sure it was our "good" Normal Saline, the H2O2  and our good nursing care and still think that had a big part. 3 weeks later when our dog was healed  we were all happy at the transformation from a bad infection from a surgical wound to complete healing.  My husband bragged about the H2O2 and NS tx.  Then the Vet. said, "Oh, I think it was the DMSO that I put on her ear when I cleaned it for you. She continued telling us that when she was a young vet and took a weekend off, the old horse doctor vets that would cover for her always used DMSO with such good results that she began copying their practice.

Offline skinnyankles

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 05:27:37 PM »
Here is the dog story from my post under Trigger Finger.

My dog has benefited with DMSO. she had an infection in the flap of her ear as a result of surgery, due to the infection we were highly encouraged to have the flap removed.  But greatfully the referal doctor couldn't see us for 4 days. By then the other dr in our vet clinic had returned and gave our dog's ear a cleaning and again suggested surgery but was supportive of our request to continue to cleanse it with H2O2 and home made Real Salt normal saline.  Fortunitatly after that every visit the ear imporved slightly. 

We were sure it was our "good" Normal Saline and the H2O2 and still think that had a big part. 3 weeks later when our dog was healed  we were all happy at the transformation from a bad infection from a surgical wound to complete healing.  My husband bragged about the H2O2 and NS tx.  Then the Vet. said, Oh ,I think it was the DMSO that I put on her ear when I cleaned it for you. She continued telling us that when she was a young vet and took a weekend off, the old horse doctor vets that would cover for her always used DMSO with such good results that she began copying their practice.

Offline DebAnn

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
I stumbled on this thread by accident while looking for something else.  I showed it to my dh who has been using DMSO on horses for years.  It is a standard in the horse barn to take the soreness out of joints and muscles, they use it to drive in other linamints. He buys it at www.bigdweb.com Their description reads: 

INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON 
Top > Feed Supplements/Liniments/Hoof Care > Liniments, Leg Paints and Blisters > Miscellaneous > INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON
 INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON
DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide (CH3) SO Purity 99% For use as a solvent only. Not for drug use.
SKU: 1150
FOB Weight 10 Lbs.
Pricing
QTY PRICE
1 -  3 18.00
4+ 21.00
(I don't know why the price increases the more you buy--it should be the opposite) ???
I didn't know until reading (actually scanning) this thread that people used it for themselves and I'm not sure if "industrial strength" would need diluted with distilled water or aloe but even so this seems to be a much better price so I thought I would share it :)

Rejoicing in hope,
       patient in tribulation,
              continuing instant in prayer.
Romans 12:12

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 05:35:03 AM »
My dad is going in for surgery to repair a tendon in his arm that ripped completely. I know this is going to cause him pain after the surgery and I have read a little about DMSO reducing pain and swelling. Has anyone ever tried DMSO and had it work?

Note this type of DMSO is not the kind found in hardware stores it the food grade type I am looking into.

I would like to learn more about it and hear if anyone has had success with it before I buy it and ship it to my dad.

Thanks,
Ruhamah

PS ruhamah means my beloved! (I love this nick name my hd has given me!)
Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 05:43:36 AM »
There is a lot of info here about DMSO but I don't know how to post a link. :)  I'm sure somebody more computer-literate will do it, but meanwhile you might just do a search for DMSO!

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
As a kid my Dad used DMSO to treat our horses.  Do the human grade products leave a strong odd taste in your mouth after getting it on your skin? 

Dad noticed a great improvement in his arthritic hands when he used it back then, and if I remember right he used it on his knees after having knee replacement surgery. 

He won't use it anymore because he is on so many medications for his heart (triple bi-pass surgery 13 years ago), glaucoma, high blood pressure, diabeties...  and pain meds for a back injury he got in Korea. 

He won't use much of anything natural because the docs have convinced him that they will interfere with his meds...  I was just thinking he might be willing to try a 'human grade' product.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
Ok, I bought some DMSO along with a book about it for my spider veins on my leg.  Here's the question:  The book says that when you use DMSO, you'll smell like oysters or seaweed! :o :o :o   Did anyone have that problem?  I'm a little nervous about that...

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2007, 06:46:29 PM »
SC, I'm not sure if I want to kiss you or send you flowers.  :-* ;D  I waited forever to order the DMSO.  I finally ordered it and messed up and got the non-roll on type but oh well.  I figured I'd just work with what I have.  I have been putting just a small amount on my skin over my bladder for several days now.  It feels warm for a few minutes right afterwards but get this!  IT TAKES AWAY MY BLADDER PAIN!!!   :-* :-* :-*  I have been on pain pills for over two years and trying to heal my bladder naturally.  This past month I've been on 2-3 pain pills a day because we're really working on detoxing and that causes more pain.  Today I took one but was still hurting and decided to try the DMSO even though it was late afternoon.  I had been putting it on in the AM and PM.  It worked almost instantly and I've managed to avoid another pain pill tonight!  I'm going to do a little more before bed because nighttime when I lay day is th worst and I'll see how it works.  But I just wanted to say thank you a hundred times over for starting this thread.  I'm almost crying because you have no idea how badly I've worked to get off these pain pills.  I'm praying that in short order I can stop them altogether.  I'm going to just start using the DMSO when I'm having pain and see if it works and keeps the pain away.  If it doesn't, then I'll take a pain pill.  But for now, it helped me today!!  Can you tell how excited I am.   ;D

Have a good day! 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2007, 02:08:45 AM »
Patty, I am THRILLED with your news. You made my day! :) ;D

The book says that when you use DMSO, you'll smell like oysters or seaweed! Shocked Shocked Shocked   Did anyone have that problem?  I'm a little nervous about that...
As to smelling like garlic, oysters, etc. I've read those same things, but never experienced it personally. I don't think this is always the case.

Oh, I wouldn't go around telling a lot of people on here that you're scared of smelling like garlic. I think HB might put you on probation. ::) :D ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:13:35 AM by SC »

YoopreMama

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2007, 02:20:11 AM »
SC, I'm not sure if I want to kiss you or send you flowers.  :-* ;D  I waited forever to order the DMSO.  I finally ordered it and messed up and got the non-roll on type but oh well.  I figured I'd just work with what I have.  I have been putting just a small amount on my skin over my bladder for several days now.  It feels warm for a few minutes right afterwards but get this!  IT TAKES AWAY MY BLADDER PAIN!!!   :-* :-* :-*  I have been on pain pills for over two years and trying to heal my bladder naturally.  This past month I've been on 2-3 pain pills a day because we're really working on detoxing and that causes more pain.  Today I took one but was still hurting and decided to try the DMSO even though it was late afternoon.  I had been putting it on in the AM and PM.  It worked almost instantly and I've managed to avoid another pain pill tonight!  I'm going to do a little more before bed because nighttime when I lay day is th worst and I'll see how it works.  But I just wanted to say thank you a hundred times over for starting this thread.  I'm almost crying because you have no idea how badly I've worked to get off these pain pills.  I'm praying that in short order I can stop them altogether.  I'm going to just start using the DMSO when I'm having pain and see if it works and keeps the pain away.  If it doesn't, then I'll take a pain pill.  But for now, it helped me today!!  Can you tell how excited I am.   ;D  Have a good day!   patti
I'm so very happy for you, too, Patti! 

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2007, 02:40:47 AM »
I know I've mentioned it elsewhere on this thread, but I wanted to repeat that DMSO has healing and restorative properties. Often, over time a reduced dosage is needed to get the same effect, eventually leaving the person without a need for any DMSO.

Although we are using it for a lifelong condition, I've found that (for our application) we can take several months away from DMSO and return to it on an as needed basis. When we began, it was a daily application.

Offline crystaldew

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2007, 04:53:55 AM »
our health food store only has the roll on kind and i am interested in diluting it. i was all for trying this on my husband (unsuccessful shoulder surgery and chronic back/neck pain) but we read an article about the "dangers" and he got spooked. i guess we are worried about the ability to transfer anything into the body. does anyone know for sure on this? is that only before it dries, or after a certain time period or what? i just don't think he will try it unless we have some more info than what i have found already (mostly negative.) do you cover the place with organic cloth or what? thanks everyone!
*peace*

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2007, 06:47:11 AM »
See if reply #18 on this thread doesn't help answer some of your questions. I think there are other replies within this thread that address this as well.
our health food store only has the roll on kind and i am interested in diluting it. i was all for trying this on my husband (unsuccessful shoulder surgery and chronic back/neck pain) but we read an article about the "dangers" and he got spooked. i guess we are worried about the ability to transfer anything into the body. does anyone know for sure on this? is that only before it dries, or after a certain time period or what? i just don't think he will try it unless we have some more info than what i have found already (mostly negative.) do you cover the place with organic cloth or what? thanks everyone!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »
Ok, I bought some DMSO along with a book about it for my spider veins on my leg.  Here's the question:  The book says that when you use DMSO, you'll smell like oysters or seaweed! :o :o :o   Did anyone have that problem?  I'm a little nervous about that...

Ummm, 'tis true.  :P :P  At least in my experience.  My dh uses it for sore back, arms, and legs from heavy construction - especially days when he's been framing all day.  He also uses it for his sore right arm that he overuses during softball season.  And he smells!  :o :o  Maybe it doesn't happen to everybody, though.  But within a few minutes he can smell like garlic, seaweed, whatever.  It's usually his breath that smells, so I just hand him a piece of gum.  And it is in direct relation to how much he puts on.  If he puts it on light, he doesn't smell as bad.  But when he smears it on an inch thick, I have to go somewhere else to breathe.  But he loves how the stuff really takes the pain away and heals his aches quickly.

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »
Hi there,

I have a question for those of you with experience using DMSO to help with muscle pain. My DH's best friend has wrenched his back badly (dunno if anything is slipped or torn) and is in a lot of pain

I would like to recommend DMSO and Muscle Soother Cream (see Bulk Herb Store).  Any thoughts about using both treatments together?  Should he try DMSO first and wait a couple hours before using the muscle rub (if it still hurts)?  My concern is the DMSO 'interacting' with any of the ingredients in the muscle rub. 

Thanks in advance for your advice!  :)

BeckyOto

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2007, 06:31:44 PM »
I'm not really answering your question, but take a look at MSM at drrons.com.  It's an oral form of sulfur that can be used for pain.  Dr.Ron's supplements have no bad additives.  He also sells chondroitin and glucosamine.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2007, 06:36:25 PM »
I've been needing to post here for quite some time but haven't been able to take the time to.  I guess having DMSO pop to the top of the list makes it time.   :D

In a post above I talked about using the DMSO over my bladder for IC pain.  I used it for a week with good success and then headed to my regular appt. with my naturapath.  Hmmm.  Her response?  Something short of freaking out.  So here's her contention on DMSO:  She absolutely believes it's probably working and killing the pain.  Her issue is the law of unintended consequences.  1) DMSO is a solvent.  Pharmaceutical grade DMSO is cut with distilled water to an exact ratio and her feeling was it's not likely I'm dealing with pharmaceutical grade.  AND, even then, that doesn't mean it's a "safe" solvent.  2)  Solvents are one of the three major cancer causing substances there is.  So, while I may be killing the pain, am I causing cancer to develop in the long run?  Hence, the law of unintended consequences.  

So, needless to say, that freaked me out a little and I decided to use DMSO's derivative MSM (which I had been using off and on for years for joint pain).  I upped my MSM doses to 6000mg a day split in three doses.  I actually think it is helping as I am seeing some improvements in pain management.  Both with DMSO and MSM it is the sulfur that is helping so I'm looking into what kinds of whole foods would also provide sulfur.  No luck with that one so far mainly because of time constraints.  

So, SC, if you have an opinion on this, I'd love to hear it.  I go back and forth.  She is an ND, not a medical doctor.  She has always been right on with me so I feel like I can trust her.  BUT, she does work in a hospital setting, sooooooooo.......  thoughts?

Patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2007, 02:53:15 AM »
My thoughts are that DMSO may possibly prove an effective treatment for some cancers since its property is to infuse cells with oxygen. Also, I have found in its use that DMSO is a healer which requires less use over time. This means that once a trouble spot has been treated with DMSO the dosage can be lessened over time for the same results. Your naturapath is correct that DMSO is a solvent. However, not all solvents are created equal -- just as all herbs, tinctures, essential oils, etc. are not equal in their properties or application. Each has to stand or fall on its merit.

Keep in mind that I have a child with fragile health and am EXTREMELY cautious in what remedies I would use on him. If I had concerns about using a remedy, I would follow the links provided on this thread and search out those questions specifically.

Another thing to consider that any practitioner recommending what items to avoid or use must use general guidelines because they are dealing with a wide cross section of individuals. While some things may be helpful in moderation, they may not recommend them because of the tendency of patients to think "more is better." I'm sure there is evidence that some solvents contribute to cancer. However, I haven't seen where DMSO is one of them.

HTH

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »
Hi SC,
I have been doing research about DMSO and I am so excited by all the things I learn! But since you were talking about DMSO with cancer, please check out this link:  http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/DMSO.html
It shows how DMSO, which has an affinity for cancerous cells, takes treatment directly to them, and is very effective. Cool. 8)
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
My thoughts are that DMSO may possibly prove an effective treatment for some cancers since its property is to infuse cells with oxygen. Also, I have found in its use that DMSO is a healer which requires less use over time. This means that once a trouble spot has been treated with DMSO the dosage can be lessened over time for the same results. Your naturapath is correct that DMSO is a solvent. However, not all solvents are created equal -- just as all herbs, tinctures, essential oils, etc. are not equal in their properties or application. Each has to stand or fall on its merit.

Keep in mind that I have a child with fragile health and am EXTREMELY cautious in what remedies I would use on him. If I had concerns about using a remedy, I would follow the links provided on this thread and search out those questions specifically.

Another thing to consider that any practitioner recommending what items to avoid or use must use general guidelines because they are dealing with a wide cross section of individuals. While some things may be helpful in moderation, they may not recommend them because of the tendency of patients to think "more is better." I'm sure there is evidence that some solvents contribute to cancer. However, I haven't seen where DMSO is one of them.

HTH

Thanks, SC.   All good info.  I'll continue to reserach this out. 

patti

cecac

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 05:25:24 AM »
Ladies,

I'm taking MSM at 1000 mg per day.  It is not helping with chronic back pain or with my ability to exercise.  I cannot exercise (and particularly sweat) without complications.  Today, I have LBP.  I walked two days ago, and also I got off my adrenal supplement to see if I really needed it.  Guess I do ::).

Anyway, so I came over here after looking at the MSM thread.   I was trying to see if I should up my MSM.  I'd like to remove chronic back pain and be able to have a little stamina left to exercise every other day.

Should I perhaps try DMSO over my mid back for pain?  Also, could I try a once every few days application to my adrenal area to help with healing?

Should you choose MSM or DMSO, or could I use the DMSO for the back pain but keep on with MSM, perhaps in a higher dose (for stamina)?

Thank you for any thoughts,
Cara

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »
Ladies,

I'm taking MSM at 1000 mg per day.  It is not helping with chronic back pain or with my ability to exercise.  I cannot exercise (and particularly sweat) without complications.  Today, I have LBP.  I walked two days ago, and also I got off my adrenal supplement to see if I really needed it.  Guess I do ::).

Anyway, so I came over here after looking at the MSM thread.   I was trying to see if I should up my MSM.  I'd like to remove chronic back pain and be able to have a little stamina left to exercise every other day.

Should I perhaps try DMSO over my mid back for pain?  Also, could I try a once every few days application to my adrenal area to help with healing?

Should you choose MSM or DMSO, or could I use the DMSO for the back pain but keep on with MSM, perhaps in a higher dose (for stamina)?

Thank you for any thoughts,
Cara

Cara,

You can do a couple of things.  You can up your MSM.  I'm taking 6000mg a day split in 3 doses.  If that doesn't work there is a new roll on MSM that has MSM and some essential oils in it.  It's called Stopain.  A friend got it for me at Walgreens.  They have a cream also but it has ingredients in it that wouldn't be good for anyone.  I've been using the roll on MSM because my husband nixed the DMSO due to the potential for it to cause cancer because of being a solvent.  HOWEVER, we are still doing our research on DMSO and I'm waiting for a book to arrive from Weston Price regarding it so that may change things.  But first you might try upping your MSM dose.   

patti