† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Ground Sausage Recipes  (Read 14365 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Ground Sausage Recipes
« on: December 19, 2006, 09:37:27 AM »
I have 30 1 lb packages of ground italian sausage in my freezer, and I need some ideas.  Unfortunately, my dh doesn't like spaghetti..... (otherwise, we just might eat it every day!  ;) )  My sausage is made from the deer that my husband shot, and my FIL works and a meat processing plant, and made it into sausage free.  That was nice!

With all the spices, this meat doesn't taste wild, so I plan to use it in any recipe calling for ground sausage.  I'd love to hear your favorites!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
Re: Ground Sausage Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:08:37 AM »
We like sausage on homemade "pizza", in potato casseroles, in creamy pasta dishes, in scrambled and creamed eggs, in bean soups, little bits in fried potatoes or rice.... did I miss any? :D
Or favorite romantic restaurant serves an entree that my dh loves... It is pasta with Italian sausage, mushrooms, gr. peppers, and onions, and (a garlic/ Italian seasoning) alfredo sauce... (Let's make this tongue move  :P) I am close to getting it reproduced here at home, but don't have Italian sausage. Do you have a recipe for the sausage seasonings?

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:16:02 AM »
Do you have a recipe for the sausage seasonings?

Sorry, I have no idea....  My FIL used whatever mix they have where he works.  It's pretty good, though.  I made myself some spaghetti with it, and served my dh peanut butter sandwiches....  :o  He was happy, though!

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:54:25 AM »
Here is a super easy family favorite:

Form sausage into small balls and pan fry until brown. Its okay if it isn't brown the whole way through.
Quarter sm potatoes (or cut larger ones in little pieces)
1 bag frozen cut green beans

Place potatoes, browned sausage balls and frozen green beans in layers in a crockpot.
 Salt and pepper layers, as you go. 
Pour in about 1/2 cup of water and cook until potatoes are very soft. 
Very Yummy and couldn't be much easier.

16goingon17

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »
Sausage and Lentil Soup
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb sausage meat, crumbled
1 large onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 large carrots, sliced
1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
6 cups beef stock
3 cups canned tomatoes
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 cups shredded cabbage
3/4 cup dried lentils
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage meat and cook until lightly browned. Remove the meat and drain on paper towel. Drain any excess oil from the pan. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until the onions are translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add the green pepper and continue to saute for 2 minutes longer. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds more. Add the beef stock, canned tomatoes, parsley, basil, thyme, bay leaf and reserved sausage meat to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove any scum that comes to the surface.
   Add the cabbage and lentils and continue to cook for 30 minutes longer, thinning the soup if necessary with a little beef stock.

To give credit where credit is due, this recipe came from the February 2006 issue of Harrowsmith Country Life. 
http://harrowsmithcountrylife.ca/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:28:54 AM »
My Meatloaf Recipe

2 lbs ground beef
1 lbs italian sausage

I guess at everything else, but I'll give you estimates.

1-2 T Italian Seasoning
1-2 Eggs
1/2-3/4 Large Box of Corn Flakes
1/4-1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
1 Onion Chopped Fine
1-2 Tsp Garlic Powder
1-2 Tsp Black Pepper

Mix ingredients until meatloaf consistancy.  If too wet, add more cornflakes.  If too dry, add another egg or more BBQ sauce.  Shape into glass pan of choice.  I turn mine upside down on my broiler pan so that as it cooks the grease runs out into the broiler pan and when it's about 1/2 done, I remove the glass pan and add BBQ sauce to the top and bake a little longer.  Since you're using deer meat, you might just be able to cook it right in the pan.  3 lbs takes about 1-1 1/2 hrs at 350 degrees.

I use the exact same recipe for meatballs and fried patties.  Excellent cooked anyway you like.  ;D

Nachos

2 small or 1 large can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Chilis
1 loaf Velveeta
1-2 lbs of Italian Sausage

Cook Italian Sausage in frying pan with water to cook off the extra fat.  The water isn't absolutely necessary, but if there is excess fat on the meat, it will float in the cheese and it's kinda gross.  Drain the fat/water when sausage is done.  Using the same skillet, chop velveeta and add tomatoes and sausage and stir until melted.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Unsalted are the best as the dip is generally plenty salty.

Careful with these recipes.  Everyone I've ever served them to, walks away from the table wishing they hadn't ate quite so much.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:31:28 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »
Bumping to see if anyone has more sausage recipes.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 07:05:12 AM »
we just made this again the other night and it's great!¬ i got this off recipezaar.com:

http://www.recipezaar.com/82262

we make a few substitutions:  we prefer ground (kinda spicy) pork sausage, we use wheat or reg spaghetti because it's easier to have on hand, and reg. cabbage.  the stuff listed is hard to find around here.  this recipe and the zucchini stir fry and yellow pepper one, i got off of recipezaar.com.  love that site![/b]

Yakisoba
This is a dish that is popular in Japan and usually sold as street food. This version is made with pork, although you could easily substitute chicken or tofu.
1  lb lean pork loin, sliced thinly (against the grain) 
1/3  cup soy sauce 
1/3  cup rice wine 
1 1/2  tablespoons sugar 
12  ounces Chinese wheat noodles (udon noodles may be substituted) 
3  tablespoons vegetable oil 
1  onion, sliced thin 
1  lb napa cabbage or savoy cabbage, sliced very thin 
3  carrots, grated 
1  tablespoon chopped ginger 
2  scallions, thinly sliced (optional)

In a small bowl, mix together soy sauce, rice wine, and sugar, stirring to dissolve.
Cook noodles in boiling water about 8 minutes, or until tender.
Drain noodles and rinse under cold water.
In a large deep skillet or wok, cook onion in oil for about 3 minutes.
Add the cabbage, carrot and ginger and cook until cabbage is softened, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the pork and cook for 2 minutes more.
Cover the mixture with noodles and pour the sauce over all.
Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, the remove the lid and toss the mixture together until it is well combined.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »
I know this is a recipe thread for using ground sausage, but does anyone have a list of spices for making your own breakfast sausage?  We are getting half of an organic pig and will have about 50 1lb packages of plain ground pork.  We are planning on mixing some spices into it, ourselves, and re-packaging it.  Does anyone make their own breakfast sausage and have a spice guideline?  Thanks.

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58:54 AM »
The SCD sausage is good.  WR posted it somewhere...

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:31:44 AM »

Okay, I found it.  Looks like it might work.
(Sad thing is, I actually searched sausage and whiterock, because I figured SHE of all WT'ers would have a recipe for it. ha ha)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »

(Sad thing is, I actually searched sausage and whiterock, because I figured SHE of all WT'ers would have a recipe for it. ha ha)

Would you please put in a link for it? I would like to check out the recipe also. TIA. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »

Would you please put in a link for it? I would like to check out the recipe also. TIA. Blessings ~herbalmom

sorry, here ya go:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10078.msg171975.html#msg171975

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
LOL! That is so funny.
Sometimes, when I've read all the threads I'm interested in or that I think I may be able to help with, and there's like two pages of threads left that I haven't read.... I'm tempted to do a search for my own name just to see if there's something like the above going on (folks talking about me) and I'm missing a good laugh by hitting the "mark all read" button.

WR
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:44:38 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
So WR, how about quoting your post with the recipe so I don't have to?  ;) :D

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
Here ya' go.  ;D

We had a fabulous recipe for breakfast sausage in a cookbook that I no longer have...the SCD cookbook...WR--you have it available?  It used savory and sage and was SO good!
i  h  pyhf0-bgt09gt;'';hy09 ;h09yyygy; 90;SCD i [Josiah decided to say hi while I went to get the cookbook  ;D]

Anyway, sorry it took me so long but I didn't see this before. Here's the recipe.

3 lbs ground pork, unseasoned
1/4 cup warm water
3 tsp powdered sage
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 3/4 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp savory
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne

Stir the spices together in a small bowl. Place pork in a large bowl and add spice mixture. With your hands, or a large spoon, kneed to distribute spices evenly.

Form into small patties for frying. Use a small amount of oil in pan and brown patties on both sides over medium heat.

Uncooked sausage can be kept in the fridge for only a day or two, but can be frozen in small packets.

WR
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:49:27 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 05:09:53 AM »

What?  My link wasn't good enough for ya?!  :D

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »

What?  My link wasn't good enough for ya?!  :D

Oops, didn't see this before. I only saw it now b/c pork is on sale at a local store & I was looking up sausage recipes.

The link was fine but we all know that having the recipe posted right here is SO much easier than a link & this is a sausage recipe thread after all.  ;) :D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 03:45:45 AM »
lol herbalmom.  Hey, that sausage recipe was wonderful, BTW!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
OK, since this thread started with Itailian sausage, does anyone have a recipe to make your own mild/SWEET Itailian sausage? When I was growing up, ('70's & '80's) we always bought a sweet Itailian sausage that had some paprika, fennel & I don't know what other spices. You could actually taste the fennel & it gave spaghetti sauce a great flavor. Most grocery stores carried it although it was sold in links. I was even able to get it in 1 pound chubs at King Soopers (Kroger) until a few years ago.

These days, they've changed the spices & we just don't like it much any more. The 'mild' Italian sausage is now spicy- although it tastes a little of fennel it's very faint. Mostly it's heat type spice- that it leaves the spaghetti sauce heat type spicy. We like Italian seasonings type spice in our spaghetti, not heat type spice. 

I get it at King Soopers/Kroger & stock up & freeze it when it goes on BOGO sale so it takes us a while to use it up. Seems like every time I get a new batch, it's spicier than the last time.

I'm fed up with it. They also put ground pork on sale so I want to just make my own.

So if anyone has a good Italian sausage recipe, please post it.

I did a WTM search & someone mentioned that there's a homemade Italian sausage recipe in La Leche League's cookbook "Whole Foods for the Whole Family" but the recipe isn't posted & I couldn't find it on line. If someone reading this has the book, would you please post the recipe? 

TIA Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »
Here's one recipe for sweet sausage that I found on the Internet.  I usually just mix up whatever appeals to us at the moment or buy a ready-mixed seasoning from somewhere like Penzey's spices.  When I make sausage, either Italian or breakfast, from ground turkey or chicken I add an egg and ground oats to hold it together and give a little texture.
hth~ 

~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~^~~

Sausage seasoning varies with the region and the country. Since sausages are preferred by some spicy or simply garlicky, you can imagine how various the sausage herb and spices blends can be. Every individual likes a certain flavor added to the meat and the flavor also varies with the style of cooking the meat. Generally speaking sausages are fired or grilled so perhaps people would be more inclined to use sausage seasoning that somewhat resembles that of barbecued meat. And it so happens that if you want to purchase a certain kind of sausage seasoning and you are in a foreign country, you might not find it on the store shelves. Instead you will find other brands that will reflect the local tendencies in cuisine. Thus the sausage seasoning is not of only one kind and another tendency nowadays is to combine whatever you are into in terms of flavors borrowing ideas from other cultures and cuisines all over the world.

Sausage seasoning can be bought from supermarkets and stores. However if you want to prepare your own sausage seasoning there is a wide variety of recipes to be found on the internet. One such recipe promises to get you the flavor that will definitely boost taste in your food and will be easy to prepare.
The ingredients are :

1. One and a half teaspoon of salt
2. Three and a half teaspoons of sweet paprika
3. Two thirds of a teaspoon of garlic powder
4. One third of fennel seeds
5. One teaspoon of black pepper powder
6. Quarter of a teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)

What you need to do is to simply blend these ingredients preferably in a food processor or in a spice grinder in case you have one at home.

It is very important that you should store the mix in an airtight container so that the flavors will not go away in time. When you prepare your home made sausages, it is required that you should add the blend to one pound of the minced meat in order to season. After that the sausage seasoning improved meat should be stored in a cold place, perhaps in the refrigerator for about three hours before preparing the sausages. This way the meat and thus the sausages you will obtain will be tastier.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13