Remedies & Therapies > Medicinal Herbs & Oils

oil of oregano, safe for children??

<< < (4/8) > >>

hodgy:
I would think this to be a little close for comfort.   My husband took some oil of oregano and mixed it with lotion to apply to his facial sinus area and the poor guy about lost it. :o  He carried on about two days with how much it burned.  Your solution does seem to be quite dilute though.  How about rubbing some on your eye area and see what it feels like first?  I almost always subject myself to everything first before I try it on the kids.  Also,  I thought I read somewhere on here about castor oil working good on skin tags, moles and things like that.  I know this stuff probably wouldn't do harm.  HTH  :)

1ofeach:

--- Quote from: momto3girls on December 04, 2007, 02:23:12 PM ---bump bump bump  :-\

--- End quote ---

I just found this, which answers a dosage for children as young as 6 months and says "KEEP OIL AWAY FROM EYES." Linked:

Oreganol - 60 GC

Here's the chart from that link, but PLEASE research more for yourself!

9. How much oregano may my children take? How much oregano may I take if I am pregnant? May I take oregano if I am breastfeeding?

North American Herb & Spice has developed the following guidelines for use in children, pregnancy and women who are lactating:

CHILDREN

Age 6 Months 2 years

Oil of Oregano

- 1 drop in milk or juice, once a day.

- Can use for 1-10 days, do not exceed 10 days of use

- Suggest rubbing Oil of Oregano on bottom of feet also

(cover feet with socks) for child with congestion, cold or fever. Use 2-3 drops per foot. Use in evening before bedtime.

- KEEP OIL AWAY FROM EYES

Age 2 5 Years

Oil of Oregano

- 1 drop in milk or juice, once per day.

Suggest taking with food in stomach.

- No restrictions on days of usage, can use for more than 10 days

- Suggest rubbing Oil of Oregano on bottom of feet also at bedtime for child with congestion, cold or fever. Use 2-4 drops per foot. Use at bedtime, do not use socks to cover feet.

- If child has chest congestion, parent can also take 3 drops of Oil of Oregano and rub on chest at bedtime.

- KEEP OILS AWAY FROM EYES

Age 6- 10 Years

Oil of Oregano

- 1-3 drops in juice, once per day. No restrictions on number of days of use.

- If child has chest congestion, cold or fever, suggest rubbing Oil of Oregano on bottom of feet at bedtime. Use 3 drops of each per foot.

- For child with chest congestion or cold, parent can rub 3-5 drops of Oil of Oregano onto chest and throat area.

Age 10 Years and Older

Oil of Oregano

- Dosage of 3 drops in juice or under tongue, three times per day can be used.

- For child with chest congestion or cold, parent can rub 5 drops of Oil of Oregano onto chest and throat area.

LACTATING MOTHERS (MOTHERS WHO ARE BREASTFEEDING) Oregamax

- Can take 2 capsules, 3 times per day.

- Oregamax will help with bone development in child and help prevent bone loss on mother due to calcium content of the Oregamax.

Oil of Oregano (Regular Strength)

- Can use 5-10 drops per day

Oregacyn

DO NOT USE DURING LACTATION

PREGNANT WOMEN

Oregacyn

- DO NOT USE DURING PREGNANCY

Oil of Oregano

- 1-2 drops per day, ONLY AFTER FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY

- DO NOT USE IN FIRST TRIMESTER OF PREGANCY

Oregamax

- Can use throughout entire pregnancy.

- Can use a maximum of 12 capsules per day

HTH.

CrimsonRose:

--- Quote from: hodgy on December 04, 2007, 01:28:49 PM ---I would think this to be a little close for comfort.   My husband took some oil of oregano and mixed it with lotion to apply to his facial sinus area and the poor guy about lost it. :o  He carried on about two days with how much it burned.  Your solution does seem to be quite dilute though.  How about rubbing some on your eye area and see what it feels like first?

--- End quote ---

Slightly off topic here...if the oil gets onto a sensitive area of the skin and burns instead of the normal tingle, dab some vegetable oil on it immediately and it should stop burning in a few seconds.

I've had to do this before when I was putting Oreganol on a pimple near my lip and I smeared some right onto my lip.  :o Not fun. But a bit of olive oil stopped it from burning very quickly.

Lovin'myHoneyinVT:
Had the flu run through our town this past month.  My son had it for a week and had bad cough/congestion.  We got the oreganol and took two drops in the am and two in the pm under tongue.  The other three in our family never got the congestion and coughing that my first son had.  I did find that I got indigestion when I took it after dinner.  My other family members didn't have this problem. 

I love Oregano Oil. ;D

wlwest:
Well, I just posted under the bronchitis section, which is where I heard of this!  if you read that, you'll understand I'm a little leary of taking it again!  :D  Can I just rub some of it on my chest, without diluting it?  I got the good stuff that was recommended.  I really want to get rid of this cough, but can't take under the tongue again. 

wendy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version