Author Topic: Circumcision After Infancy  (Read 10844 times)

Offline gabi

• Adept
Circumcision After Infancy
« on: April 30, 2006, 06:35:02 PM »
Hi! I have 3 boys all of whom we have chosen not to circumcise(sp?). They are 19 mo., 3 and 6. We recently went to the dr's for a routine check-up and he mentioned the foreskin on their penis' should be able to pull back and that I should have been doing this all along (in the bath and such). I had no idea and felt horrible at my lack of knowledge. (Of course, the dr not mentioning this until my oldest was 6 didn't help) Anyway, when I tried to pull back their skin, it was impossible--yes, even in a nice warm bath...I had some successs w/ my youngest, but the other 2 boys I fear, may need a circumcision or some serious prodding :o  My 3 yr old has complained peroidically of his pee-pee hurting and I've noticed it to be a bit red. I've given him cranberry just to ward of any possible UTI infection and I'm scheduling him to be seen, but in the meantime I'm hoping for some advice --esp before any prodding begins!! Anyone?? Any men? Thank you!

Offline mishy

• Master
Re: Circumcision After Infancy
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 06:52:44 PM »
I have heard of this happening to another family as well.  They took the boys in and they had to be 1/2 circumcised- whatever that means....???  They were about the same age as your kids.  The family was a friend of my family and I was a teen at the time, so it wasn't my business (or interest!) to ask beyond that, so this isn't much help other than to let you know you are not alone!! 
 :-\

Offline gabi

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:58:35 PM »
Oh Dear!
Well thank you for your response...It is comforting for me to learn of other's experiences (good and bad I suppose!) Either way, thank you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:33:43 PM »
Hi! I have 3 boys all of whom we have chosen not to circumcise(sp?). They are 19 mo., 3 and 6. We recently went to the dr's for a routine check-up and he mentioned the foreskin on their penis' should be able to pull back and that I should have been doing this all along (in the bath and such). I had no idea and felt horrible at my lack of knowledge. (Of course, the dr not mentioning this until my oldest was 6 didn't help) Anyway, when I tried to pull back their skin, it was impossible--yes, even in a nice warm bath...I had some successs w/ my youngest, but the other 2 boys I fear, may need a circumcision or some serious prodding :o  My 3 yr old has complained peroidically of his pee-pee hurting and I've noticed it to be a bit red. I've given him cranberry just to ward of any possible UTI infection and I'm scheduling him to be seen, but in the meantime I'm hoping for some advice --esp before any prodding begins!! Anyone?? Any men? Thank you!

Poor guy might have a yeast infection.  I don't know any more than that, but keep it clean and as dry as possible until the doc can take a look at it.  Any topical yeast treatment that you might have that's safe for a youngster might help.  There are herbal remedies-many listed throughout the forum, but if you need a quick fix, I have used monistat on my girls and I've used clotrimazole on my boy (2 years) with no harmful effects.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gabi

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 03:03:47 AM »
Yeast infection: I hope that's what the redness could be--seems benign enough. Thank you. I'm still a bit concerned about the whole "pull-back" issue. (How could I have not read about this somewhere??) Anyway, I thank you for your time. :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 04:33:45 AM »
How could I have not read about this somewhere??

Don't beat yourself up about it.  Live and learn.  Let doctor take a look, find out your options and you'll know better next time.  ;)  You'd think all this stuff would come natural, but I never figured out how to nurse my babies with any efficiency and as a result all 3 only got limited milk from mommy.  I was very upset, but you have to do the best you can with what you know.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gabi

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 06:20:36 AM »
Again, thank you... :)

Offline gabi

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:30:48 AM »
I just came across a really helpful website for this issue. Please pass it along. Let me know what you think: WWW.NOCIRC.ORG :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:36:18 AM by healthybratt »

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 05:40:32 AM »
Obviously you made a choice not to have your sons circumcised for a reason, just as my sons are circumcised for our own reasons.  Please don't allow the professionals to frighten or bully you into an uninformed, rushed decision.  I have worked for docs who could have bought houses off what they earned through later life circumcisions, and I'm sure many of them were necessary, but I find it hard to believe that they all were.  If your sons have made it this many years with only minor irritation, I can't imagine that a couple of weeks of you and your husband becoming educated would be detrimental.  Even if the doctors do not recommend anything surgical, please read up.  Depending on the severity of attachment there are creams which sort of dissolve the stuck skin (doesn't sound very natural) and there is also the old rip-the-bandaid-off-quickly routine where the doc just tears the skin back.  (I've heard it's not as bad as it sounds and heals quickly.)
  The important thing is that whatever the result is, you and your husband should become fully informed on the care and hygiene of the area (and what to look for as far as infection/reattachment) so that you can teach your boys how to care for themselves as they grow and hopefully they will not have to face another issue like this one.  Good luck!
                                                                                                      ~L

Offline carolynn

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 06:26:36 AM »
Our son is not circumcised either. We always took care to pull back the foreskin and clean it well (our Dr. told us) and taught our son to do that himself. When he was about 6 or 7, we noticed that he wasn't able to pull the foreskin back far enough to clean the head of his penis and it was beginning to get a little red. We were concerned to "tug too hard" so we went to our pediatrician. I believe we went 3 different times and she slowly pulled the foreskin back, a little bit more each time. It was NOT pleasant but I could never have done it!! Once the skin was fully released and our son was able to cleanse the previously "hidden" area, the redness, from what I believe was a yeast infection, went away. Now it is a dim memory and one that at 16, he would rather not talk about!

Offline phatlady

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 10:25:45 AM »

Gabi,
 It is perfectly normal for your sons forskin to be unretractable.Although most medical professionals in this country have made many improvements in the area of circumcision, when it comes to the hygiene issue they are clueless.I will tell you what I have learned from 22 years of studying natural birth and child care.Most of the parents I have known have chosen to keep their sons intact.I have gained a lot of knowledge from these parents as well as from a few good books like "How to raise a healthy child in spite of your doctor" by Dr. Mendalson, and " Circumcision, What Every Parent Should Know".
  Before birth the glans[head] of the penis and the forskin are one.They usually remain adhered to one another for several years.Gradually and gently over time they separate,usually becoming completely separate and retractiable around puberty.Attempting to forcefully retract the forskin at any time can cause trauma to the tissue and even scarring.This can cause problems later in life..cleaning is simple,just wash the outside with MILD soap and water.Most irritation is from the soap working its way up where it doesn't belong and not getting rinsed out.If your son dose get irritated from time to time, don't panic, simply pop him in the tub for a nice long soak preferably without soap.Or you might try a sitz bath with some soothing herbs.Once the forskin is retractable,your son can be taught to retract the forskin and rinse with plain water daily..Of all the intact boys I have known, none have had any problems when they have taken care of themselves this way.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 02:55:55 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question about circumcision.  I remeber listening to a Michael Pearl tape and he made a quick reference about circumcision.  I am pretty sure he was talking about the actual physical one and not the spiritual one.  I have all the tapes and I just can't remember which one it was.  I have gone through Hebrews and Colossians twice, because I was thinking it was in one of these, but now, I am thinking that I am crazy and hearing weird things during the teachings.  :) Does anyone remember hearing this?  Does anyone know which tape series?  Let me know if you do.
Thanks!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 05:35:30 PM »
It was probably Romans series, but couldn't say for sure. It might also have been the Sin No More series. Here are all the Bible verses that talk about circumcision in the New Testament, in case you were wondering...

Jhn 7:22 Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and ye on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
Jhn 7:23 If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are ye angry at me, because I have made a man every whit whole on the sabbath day?
Act 7:8 And he gave him the covenant of circumcision: and so [Abraham] begat Isaac, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac [begat] Jacob; and Jacob [begat] the twelve patriarchs.
Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 11:2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
Rom 2:25 For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
Rom 2:26 Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
Rom 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.
Rom 3:1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit [is there] of circumcision?
Rom 3:30 Seeing [it is] one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
Rom 4:9 [Cometh] this blessedness then upon the circumcision [only], or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
Rom 4:10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had yet] being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
Rom 4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which [he had] being [yet] uncircumcised.
Rom 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises [made] unto the fathers:
1Cr 7:19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
Gal 2:7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as [the gospel] of the circumcision [was] unto Peter;
Gal 2:8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
Gal 2:9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we [should go] unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Gal 2:12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Gal 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
Gal 5:11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
Gal 6:15 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
Eph 2:11 Wherefore remember, that ye [being] in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;
Phl 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
Col 3:11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond [nor] free: but Christ [is] all, and in all.
Col 4:11 And Jesus, which is called Justus, who are of the circumcision. These only [are my] fellowworkers unto the kingdom of God, which have been a comfort unto me.
Tts 1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 06:04:40 PM »
Thanks, again!  I now have a plan on how to find which tape series it was.  I am going to do a study on this myself.  I want to know for sure whether God gives an answer in His word on this topic or not.  I just love studies! :)

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 01:09:23 PM »
I think the Lord will absolutely answer your question if you seek His will through His word...it just may not be the same answer he gives someone else.   ;)
                                                                                        ~Layla

Dewbear

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 03:10:59 AM »
Gabi, I am going to encourage you to either educate yourself AND your doctor about intact boys or to find a new doctor who is already on board with what we know to be true about intact males.  Here is a great, GREAT source of info on the topic:  http://bbs.babycenter.com/board/baby/babyills/circumcision/1252694  This is where I've learned the bulk of my "how-to" for my son's intact penis.  There is to be NO FORCED RETRACTION of an uncircumcised penis.  Your sons are normal.  I would post this question of yours on that board, & I promise you will have loads of help within 24 hours.  Hope this helps!

~ Danna

Dewbear

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 06:04:07 PM »
Apparently they changed their boards, & that link is no longer functional.  Here's the correct one, if anyone was wondering:
http://boards.babycenter.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=bcus1252694

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 03:10:42 AM »
Hi Gabi,

This circumcision thing is a very delicate subject! We chose not to circumcise our boys. We have had no problem with tightness or anything like that. Also, I would recommend to not try and pull that skin back...that hurts!! It will naturally separate when he gets older.

However, we did have some problems with redness and some pain, especially when they were very little and in cloth diapers. Not knowing about herbs, I just took some triple antibiotic ointment on a Q-tip and gently put it in there. Of course, washing him first was important. That ointment did the trick most of the time. Cranberry juice was always offered, and I think it helped, too.

Hope this helps,
Mama Sita
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 07:48:50 AM »

I have a quick question about circumcision. I remeber listening to a Michael Pearl tape and he made a quick reference about circumcision. I am pretty sure he was talking about the actual physical one and not the spiritual one. I have all the tapes and I just can't remember which one it was. Does anyone remember hearing this? Does anyone know which tape series?

Okay, I know this topic is realllllllllllly old, but I just found out what tape series this was in.  Galatians Chapter 5.  Just had to answer my own question!  ;)

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 07:41:52 AM »
I know this is a somewhat old thread but my son is not circumcised and his little penis (I'm sure one day he will not be happy his mama talked about his little penis) looked a little red. I just applied some breast milk and overnight it is gone. Just thought I would throw that out here in case someone is looking for info on infection. We just switched to cloth diapers so I just make sure I clean him with warm water and a little soap every change. 

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 09:02:11 AM »
For what it's worth I have twin uncles (in their 60's now) who were both circumcised in their teens/early 20's because of severe infections.  They're not the sharpest needles in the sewing kit, but whether you choose to circumcise or not, make sure that you, your hubby, or a family doctor teaches your son how to clean himself effectively. 

And concerning the original question of circumcising, my uncles would say if you're going to do it, then sooner is better than later.   
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.