Author Topic: Tea Storage  (Read 4141 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Tea Storage
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:47:18 AM »
Okay, this may be a no-brainer, but what's the best way to store tea leaves?  Tightly covered, ziplock bag  ??? ??? ???  I just started buying tea that the HFS bags up instead of "name brand" tea that's probably not natural.  Anyway, just wondered if there was a preferred way to store it so that it stays fresh.  Thanks!  ;D
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Tea Storage
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 04:11:48 AM »
Okay, this may be a no-brainer, but what's the best way to store tea leaves?  Tightly covered, ziplock bag  ??? ??? ???  I just started buying tea that the HFS bags up instead of "name brand" tea that's probably not natural.  Anyway, just wondered if there was a preferred way to store it so that it stays fresh.  Thanks!  ;D

I prefer glass canning jars stored in a cool, dark place. Like any food oxygen, heat, & light are the things that degrade tea. I prefer to not store food in plastic or metal. Plastic outgasses & is adsorbed by food & metal can react with food. Just my .02. HTH

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:27:29 PM »
Hi Everyone! I hope I can get an answer as quick as possible..... I just got my order of teas from BulkHerbStore.com... The directions say to store them in an airtight container in an area as cold as possible...Refrigeration or freezing is great, but certainly not necessary. So, should I really freeze them, or is it ok if I just store them in my basement where it is pretty cool and definitly dark??? If I should freeze them, won't it get frost on it and then get watery when I defrost it? I just need some advice as soon as possible so that I don't ruin my tea... Thank you!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
Hi Everyone! I hope I can get an answer as quick as possible..... I just got my order of teas from BulkHerbStore.com... The directions say to store them in an airtight container in an area as cold as possible...Refrigeration or freezing is great, but certainly not necessary. So, should I really freeze them, or is it ok if I just store them in my basement where it is pretty cool and definitly dark??? If I should freeze them, won't it get frost on it and then get watery when I defrost it? I just need some advice as soon as possible so that I don't ruin my tea... Thank you!!

As far as your question about frost, frost only forms in the presence of moisture. If your teas are dry like they should be they won't get frost. Just store them airtight, as cool as possible & away from light. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:16:38 AM by herbalmom »

Offline Mrs. Visionary

• Adept
    • PureBulk, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
Since I have a freezer I keep my herbs frozen in ziploc bags.

Offline Jeanne Carol

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:48:18 PM »
I think I want to try moving my herbs from the plastic bags they're in in the freezer to quart jars in the cabinet.  We really need the freezer space with our garden coming in.  Would it be okay to do that?  I'm concerned about moisture when I'm taking them out.  I was thinking maybe I could set them all out and open the bags for a day and then put them in jars, label and store???  Also, living here in the deep south, I'm a little afraid of bugs getting in them.  I thought of putting a few bay leaves or a tansy sachet in each jar.  Any thoughts, WTM?  Thanks  ~ Jeanne

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »
Jeanne,

I don't think you have to worry about bugs getting into your herbs as long as your house isn't overrun with them.   ;)     ;D    Anything that may have been in them would have been killed by freezing, so they'll be going into jars nice and clean and with the lids closed will stay bug free.  I do think that you have a great idea about letting them sit out to keep from getting moisture in the jars.  Just until they come to room temperature should be enough time, unless you see evidence of moisture there. 

If you have bug problems in your cabinet, try putting a couple of bay leaves or some tansy on the shelves or in the corners to keep the bugs away. 

hth  ~c 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13