Author Topic: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products  (Read 100159 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »
Herbal Toothpaste

Ingredients
8 Level tbsp Tooth Paste Powder**
50ml (2 1/2 Tbsp) Tooth Paste Gel**
20 drops Flavour

Flavour choices:
Fresh Mint Essential oil blend
Licorice Zest Essential oil blend
Strawberry Sensation natural flavour
Other flavours to try: Fennel, Cinnamon, Spearmint, Peppermint, Anise

1) Blend Powder, Gel and flavour together using a fork, wire whisk or hand blender until smooth.
2) Pour into a plastic bottle with flip top or pump or a tottle container.

Store powder and gel ingredients for up to one year in a cool dry place. Shelf life of finished tooth paste is approx. 6 months.

Occasionally shake or stir tooth paste as some settling and separating may naturally occur.

makes 60ml/2fl.oz.

**These are products this website sells, but here are the ingredients listed.

Toothpaste powder contains:  Calcium Carbonate (derived from Sea shells), Chicory root powder, Baking soda

Toothpaste Gel contains:  Vegetable Glycerin, Licorice root and Myrrh gum extract.

Herbal Mouthwash

Ingredients
50ml (3 Tbsp) Witch Hazel
50ml (3 Tbsp) Distilled water
20ml (4 tsp) Vegetable Glycerin
5 drops Fennel
10 drops Peppermint

1) Mix all ingredients together and shake well.
2) Pour into a plastic bottle with flip top.

Shelf life of finished mouth wash approx. 6 months. Shake before use.

makes 125ml/4fl.oz.

from Cranberry Lane

Mint Tooth Paste Recipe
(I think I'm going to try this one.  I might try adding some cloves and/or lavender as well.)

Ingredients:

* 6 teaspoons baking soda
    * 1/3 teaspoon salt
    * 4 teaspoons glycerin
    * 15 drops peppermint or wintergreen extract

Directions:

Mix thoroughly. Should be a tooth paste consistency. Store in a container. You'll be surprised with how fresh your mouth feels.

Lemon Mouth Wash Recipe

Ingredients:

* 3/4 cup vodka***
    * 20 drops lemon essential oil
    * 1 1/4 cup distilled water
    * 30 drops bergamot essential oil

Directions:

Combine the vodka with the essential oils in a bottle, shake well then allow to sit for 1 week. Shake once a day. When ready to use it , dilute the mix with 3 parts water/ 1 part mixture. Use it as a gargle or mouth rinse. Do Not Drink.

***My dentist says not to use alcohol in your mouth and she is very adamant about this; however, I've been using Listerine for many years and I have fantastic teeth.  You'll have to decide this one for yourself. ;)

Super Cleanser

Ingredients:

* Hydrogen peroxide (a few drops)
    * Baking soda

Directions:

Make a paste by combining the two ingredients. Use this paste on your teeth and also gently rub along your gums two times a week.

from Pioneer Thinking

Some history on oral care at Umanitoba

« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 01:48:16 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
Re: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:29:45 PM »
I have tried the peroxide and baking soda before and it did a great job of whitening my teeth.  -KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 06:33:33 PM »
Toothpaste powder contains:  Calcium Carbonate (derived from Sea shells), Chicory root powder, Baking soda

Were you aware that eggshells are 93% calcium carbonate?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 06:51:35 PM »
This guy thinks you should brush your teeth with bar soap.  Interesting. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:32:51 PM »
 I do, see - ;D

just kidding 8)
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 06:18:48 AM »
No fluoride or glycerin please.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »
This is what we use:   6 parts baking soda to 1part salt. You can add to this a few drops peppermint essential oil,  or any E. O. of your choice.

Blessing's,
   RB                           

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 06:44:09 AM by RB »
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 08:27:45 AM »
I like the sound of that baking soda, salt one.  My Papa always used just baking soda right out of the box to brush his teeth.

I had a thought yesterday about homemade toothpaste. The "scrubbing" agent in alot of natural toothpaste is Silica.  Diatomaceous Earth (also called fossil flour, fuller's earth) is just that, silica. Now I buy it anyways for my grain storage to keep bugs out. It's food grade DE. I was thinking I could mix a little in with the baking soda, salt recipe to make it good and scrubby.

Has anyone else run across this? Heard of using diatomaceous earth in homemade toothpaste? Perhaps I'll also research some more and post back later when I've found the answer...
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 03:48:23 PM »
I got a few bottles of mint oils (peppermint, wintergreen,spearmint) and put them in eye drop bottles.  We individually mix our own tooth paste, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. peroxide and one drop of whatever mint we desire today.  It makes it a little more interesting to be able to switch flavors.  I may try some others for the kids.  I am also very interested in the salt and am going to try adding some of that, and taking out the peroxide.  Maybe switching the recipe around from day to day.

Since we have been doing this my teeth have felt like I have just been to the dentist for a  cleaning everyday! I haven't been to the dentist in well over a year and right now don't feel the need for it.

Offline Mama_KK

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »
Are these recipes good for children & sensitive teeth?

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 11:23:01 AM »
Are these recipes good for children & sensitive teeth?
All  our children (ages 11 to 3 )  use the the baking soda recipe.  We do have one child with sensitive teeth and he seems fine with using our homemade tooth pwd.  Maybe try a small amount and see if  your  child can tolerate using it.
 Blessing's,
    RB
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8

Offline Camy

• Wide Eyed
My recipe
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 01:49:06 AM »
I mix together 1 tsp. coconut oil (melted) w/ french clay, baking soda, propolis, and glycerin until the combination forms a paste-like consistency.  You can add your choice of essential oils or flavoring as an option, too.  I have sensitive teeth and avoid peppermint oil, which has caused me great sensitivity in the past.  It is my aim to find peppermint flavoring (glycerine (sp?)-based).  The glycerine (sp?) provides a nice sweetness, similar to conventional toothpaste.  Perhaps a small sprinkle of stevia powder would have the same affect.  Blessings! 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 05:01:51 AM »
Mint Tooth Paste Recipe
(I think I'm going to try this one.  I might try adding some cloves and/or lavender as well.)

Ingredients:

* 6 teaspoons baking soda
    * 1/3 teaspoon salt
    * 4 teaspoons glycerin
    * 15 drops peppermint or wintergreen extract

Directions:

Mix thoroughly. Should be a tooth paste consistency. Store in a container. You'll be surprised with how fresh your mouth feels.

hey HB, just wondering what you thought of this recipe?  i am in need of finding something to replace our reg. toothpaste. 

or if someone can reccommend a good brand without flouride and other bad stuff that would be great! 

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 06:30:14 AM »
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:34 AM »
Jason brand is one:

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?N=32+1003203

thanks!  this looks like a good one, guess i should have researched this before placing my recent order on vitacost.   ::)  oh, well.  maybe i could find it around here.  can't beat their shipping rates though.  thanks dara. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 07:39:59 AM »
I've been using baking soda and ground peppermint leaf and peroxide.  Works well and it's cheap.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 08:11:17 AM »
I've been using baking soda and ground peppermint leaf and peroxide.  Works well and it's cheap.  ;)
I have been doing BS, peroxide and mint oil.  Had a question about the peroxide, can you use it idenfinitely?  I always thought you used it periodically for a problem, but not on a daily basis.  ???

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 08:26:04 AM »
I have been doing BS, peroxide and mint oil.  Had a question about the peroxide, can you use it idenfinitely?  I always thought you used it periodically for a problem, but not on a daily basis.  ???
I don't know.  I don't use it everyday - too lazy  ::)  I just dip my wet brush into the BS and mint usually and when I feel like a little extra whitening, I put some in a small bowl and pour in a few drops of peroxide and dip my brush in this.
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

Re: My recipe
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 06:14:42 PM »
I mix together 1 tsp. coconut oil (melted) w/ french clay, baking soda, propolis, and glycerin until the combination forms a paste-like consistency.  You can add your choice of essential oils or flavoring as an option, too.  I have sensitive teeth and avoid peppermint oil, which has caused me great sensitivity in the past.  It is my aim to find peppermint flavoring (glycerine (sp?)-based).  The glycerine (sp?) provides a nice sweetness, similar to conventional toothpaste.  Perhaps a small sprinkle of stevia powder would have the same affect.  Blessings! 

Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing!

I'm lazy, so I use ToothSoap. It is excellent. I add baking soda to add a mild abrasive. I think it's on sale now...check it out: www.toothsoap.com (fluoride and glycerin free).

**Edit** Looks like they are offering free shipping for a limited time.

And also to let you know that a jar of the soap shreds will probably last a single person about 5-6 months. It foams up really well...you only need one shaving at a time.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 06:18:54 PM by PMESguy »

Offline juanitamwilliams

• Learning
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 03:15:05 PM »
Where is the best place to get the flavorings?   My 4 yr old is VERY picky when it comes to toothpaste.  Everything is too hot!  Any suggestions for flavoring the kid's toothpaste?  Is the essential oils I use in soaps and bath salts the same as the ones that you are using for flavoring? Specifically the peppermint?  Sorry if this is a no-brainer either way. ???  I am just getting started  and am very thankful for this site! Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 03:25:30 PM by juanitamwilliams »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: My recipe
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 03:23:37 PM »

Awesome recipe, thanks for sharing!

I'm lazy, so I use ToothSoap. It is excellent. I add baking soda to add a mild abrasive. I think it's on sale now...check it out: www.toothsoap.com (fluoride and glycerin free).

**Edit** Looks like they are offering free shipping for a limited time.

And also to let you know that a jar of the soap shreds will probably last a single person about 5-6 months. It foams up really well...you only need one shaving at a time.

hi all, i will post this to the buy/sell thread, but just wondering if anyone would be interested in buying some toothsoap?  i purchased a jar of spearmint, which i will not be able to get used to.  i got it with free shipping, so $19 incl. sh.  i took $1 off their price for the 3 shreds that were used.   ;D 

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 03:49:47 PM »
« Reply #20 on: Today at 07:15:05 PM » by juanitamwilliams
Where is the best place to get the flavorings?   My 4 yr old is VERY picky when it comes to toothpaste.  Everything is too hot!  Any suggestions for flavoring the kid's toothpaste?  Is the essential oils I use in soaps and bath salts the same as the ones that you are using for flavoring? Specifically the peppermint?  Sorry if this is a no-brainer either way.   I am just getting started  and am very thankful for this site! Thanks.
Reply | Reply with quote

Hi! My kids are picky too- we like orange essential oil as a flavoring. YOU DON'T NEED MUCH. I like getting it from Diana's Sugar Plum Sundries.  http://www.diannassundries.com/index.asp

Offline juanitamwilliams

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »
Thank you for such a quick reply!  I love this place!   ::) ::)

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »
Is the BS, salt, EO recipe safe for all ages? 
When do you start using toothpaste on young children?
My son is 10mon and has 6teeth.  We are brushing with water so far, because all the toothpastes, even my organic children's toothpaste, says not to use until at least 2yo. 

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 04:43:39 AM »
I guess I never really took the toothpaste label seriously- we use our natural kids toothpaste on the babies- just teenie amounts. I don't think my kids would take to baking soda very well!   :o :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 06:27:09 AM »
I guess I never really took the toothpaste label seriously- we use our natural kids toothpaste on the babies- just teenie amounts. I don't think my kids would take to baking soda very well!   :o :D
My kids don't mind the baking soda with mint.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Soñadora

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 07:16:57 AM »
No fluoride or glycerin please.

We make ours with glycerine. Is there a reason we shouldn't? I mean, is it bad or something?

My husband and I use cinnamon oil and cloves, but I make mint for the kids. Half of my kids quit using toothpaste, until I started making it myself, because they said it was too "hot", so they used plain baking soda for years. The dentist said they had the cleanest mouths he'd ever seen, so that's cool. And I was worried cause I can barely remember to brush mine let alone remind them, lol.  :)
You have no idea who I think I am.

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 08:36:10 PM »
What do you put your toothpaste in to store/use/dispense it?  How much do you make at a time, or how long does one batch last?  I'd like to start making it as soon as this tube is gone.  Thanks :)

Offline Caroline

• Adept
    • New Little Blessing
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 12:01:12 PM »
I'm sure you guys (and ladies!) have all heard this before, but my sister has been a dental assistant, and she says you should NEVER use Baking soda on your teeth, that it will wear the enamel off.  Maybe that's why the older generation has bad teeth????  Any thoughts on this?
Caroline
www.newlittleblessing.com
Ergos, Pregnancy/Ovulation tests, Books, Modest Patterns, Modest Nursing covers, Baby and Child size slings and Vitamins!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 12:27:45 PM »
I'm sure you guys (and ladies!) have all heard this before, but my sister has been a dental assistant, and she says you should NEVER use Baking soda on your teeth, that it will wear the enamel off.  Maybe that's why the older generation has bad teeth????  Any thoughts on this?
I've been using it off and on for years and never had any problems.  I did however lose some enamel when using "Ultra Brite" toothpaste.  Made the enamel come right off.  Owie.
  My favorite herb book!!