Author Topic: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products  (Read 100164 times)

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
Re: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »
Just wanted to comment after reading all these. I put BS in a jar with Hydrogen Peroxide and mixed added a drop of peppermint oil and It works GREAT.  I love that way me teeth feel so clean.. I use it about everyother day and brush with just water the other days.  Doesn't taste great.  (I think I need to add more oil to it).  But am liking it!  Just dip my toothbrush and go.  Thanks all!
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2007, 10:47:44 AM »
Just wanted to comment after reading all these. I put BS in a jar with Hydrogen Peroxide and mixed added a drop of peppermint oil and It works GREAT.  I love that way me teeth feel so clean.. I use it about everyother day and brush with just water the other days.  Doesn't taste great.  (I think I need to add more oil to it).  But am liking it!  Just dip my toothbrush and go.  Thanks all!
Jenny

Do you mix Hydrogen Peroxide, BS and the pepermint in the jar and keep it for how long? I thought the Hydrogen peroxide and BS would ract and quit working. I'm confused.

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2007, 11:52:34 AM »
I did keep it in a jar and I think it did "react"  The first time I mixed it it was soupy. Then Got to be more like wet powder. But it sticks to my tooth brush good. So I've been using it anyways.
Jenny

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
Read an article on Xylitol for teeth and it sounded so good I was wondering what brands of healthy gum have Xylitol in them ?? Are there any? How would you incorporate Xylitol into your diet?

I chew Trident. It's the only one I know of. Xylitol is also good for weight loss. And as far as incorporating it into your diet, use it instead of white sugar. It's supposed to substitute straight across. Cookies, cake, brownies, muffins, you know, all that good stuff  ;). But beware, only a little at a time. Too much too soon can really "loosen" your bowels. My first attempt with the Xylitol was home made ice cream. It didn't have enough time to ripen (we had family over) so it was pretty soupy when I served it. That tended to make the servings a little bigger, I think. Anyway, everyone who had a bowl was visiting the bathroom quite a bit  :o. My dad was the only one who was fine because he only had a spoon or two just to taste it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:12:29 PM by havasmama_05 »
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline momof6

• Learning
    • mannatech associate site
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2007, 12:47:52 PM »
Hi, just was reading all this great stuff and had to ask........
does anyone else just use plain salt?  My husband was born in Russia, as were his ancestors (but he is German, as they all were), and his great uncle still has all his own teeth, and no cavities, and he has only ever used salt to brush with.  That convinced me enough to try it and that is all our children have ever used.  Their teeth are great and no cavities yet.......

My hubby and I use a natural tea tree oil toothpaste, but when this tube is gone, I'm game to try the baking soda.  We actually use the toothpaste in the mornings and salt in the evenings.  I figure the natural properties of salt prevent decay, and so it can't be bad.  But if anyone knows different.....let me know! 

Sheri

Sheri

"My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness"

www.mannapages.com/sherireimer

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »
I've used salt many years ago on a camping trip.   :-X

It works, but I wouldn't recommend it.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
My MIL (also from Germany) used to talk about brushing with just salt too.  And a friend sent me a link via email last year about making a salt solution to use.  I recently deleted the email so can't give you the link.  However it was from the Mercola site so you could look there.

One of the first things my husband and I knew we had in common when we met was that we had both tried using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint castile soap to brush our teeth while backpacking - and we both said we would never use it again!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:38:04 PM by DawnsEarlyBirds »

Offline momof6

• Learning
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2007, 08:03:49 AM »
If salt "works" in preventing tooth decay, then does anyone know any drawbacks?  Some may say they don't like the salty taste......but of course you don't DRINK it!   :D  You just brush with it and spit it out, like anything else.  Our children know nothing else, so we have no problems with compliancy (other than me, who kinda likes the foamy action of toothpaste!).   ;)

For our family of 8, with 6 littles, salt is the easiest and quickest, they just sprinkle a little on their toothbrushes and brush away!  I need simple and effective!  I'm still perusing the bs/acv for hair topic for the same:  simple and effective.....and SAFE! 

Can I say again.......I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!  Thank you!!!

Sheri
Sheri

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »
Never heard of using salt before!

Sea salt or the regular stuff? does it matter? Can you just dip the brush in salt water?

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2007, 05:31:15 PM »
Read an article on Xylitol for teeth and it sounded so good I was wondering what brands of healthy gum have Xylitol in them ?? Are there any? How would you incorporate Xylitol into your diet?

I got addicted to Kristen's Back to Basics, so I went looking for more 'healthy' podcasts and ran upon this one. http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=218789249
The first program was all about Xylitol and they talk about chewing gum made with it to help your teeth. Thought you and everyone else here might like the info. You can buy it at this guy's web site. http://www.whitedoveherbals.com/content/view/17/33/
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline momof6

• Learning
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2007, 02:59:22 PM »
We use sea salt, and just keep a regular salt shaker right on the sink next to the toothbrushes.   ;D  Talk about easy........

Sheri (momof6)
Sheri

Offline enksmom

• Learning
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:16 PM »
Hi HB ~

I am new to this site, and I AM LOVING IT!  I was reading the toothpaste posts, and was wondering if you tried the egg shells.  If so, how did it work?
And it is best to use sea salt, or is regular table salt good? ???

God Bless

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »
We use BS instead of toothpaste but I have a couple of people who don't appreciate the taste~~~has anybody tried altering the taste and what have you used?   I tried grinding spearmint leaves and adding them but they are still not fine enough and the taste isn't strong enough.   Do you think putting a vanilla bean in with the BS for awhile would it absorb the taste?   Any other suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2007, 10:42:21 AM »
I use Peppermint oil in mine!  Use more than one drop but you might just have to expermint with it.  Good Luck,, (don't see why you couldn't use essintial oil of any flavor.)
Jenny

Offline Jessarie

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2007, 03:51:11 AM »
Yeah, we us BS too and I think I put about 5 drops peppermint oil into 2-3 tbsp soda and mix it around. 

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »
Can you do this in  a bigger quantity and leave it sit by the sink or will the peppermint oil get rancid?   
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2007, 06:26:59 AM »
was wondering if you tried the egg shells. 
Not yet, still using baking soda with mint leaves, peroxide or just plain water.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »
Can you do this in  a bigger quantity and leave it sit by the sink or will the peppermint oil get rancid?   
I mixed mine and had about 3 months worth by the sink and it's been fine.  I dont' think the peppermint oil or any essential oil will go bad very quickly.  (Like several months to a year. I think)
Jenny

Offline beesbabe

• Learning
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2007, 01:04:15 AM »
Xlear makes gum with xylitol.  I think it has even more in it than Trident without the aspartame.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 01:05:50 AM by beesbabe »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:04 PM »
I was using baking soda for quite some time (and my kids too!) but i started getting a really sensitive to cold spot at my gumline in one spot. i switched back to regular toothpaste and the pain went away.
 i stopped using the baking soda on my kids also but would like to continue. anyone know why this would happen?

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
Did you use Hydrogen Peroxide too?  I've noticed if I use that daily my teeth get sensitive.  That's the only think I can come up with. Sorry.
Jenny

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »
nope no peroxide :-\ thanks anyways!
boy i've got the dilemma's today!!

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »
Has anyone heard of using Grapefruit seed extract on your toothbrush to remove plaque?

I read an article online (somewhere...I'll dig it out if necessary)about a man who tried it with tea tree oil to help his dental issues. He had not been to the dentist in over 20 years and his mouth was nasty!  He said one night during dinner it felt like all of this bottom teeth were going to fall out so he went to the bathroom mirror to check it out and he spit out a lot of plaque that had broken loose. 

He went to the dentist and they said his mouth looked great and he only had a small amount of plaque on two teeth.  He then told them his story and none of them believed it had been over 20 years since he went and they had never heard of grapefruit seed extract! 

I'm getting some this weekend to try it out. 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »
For awhile we were using Dr. Jordan Rubin's (author of The Maker's Diet) TOOTH DROPS.  Then we ran out and realized that it was an expensive alternative for a family of 12! 

SO, we started making our own using Virgin Coconut Oil and adding several drops of peppermint oil (to taste) in the dropper bottle!  2-4 drops of that mixture on the toothbrush and VOILA!  My husband LOVES it and says his teeth not only feel clean, but feels/smells fresh!  AND my children love it too =)  The great thing is that we always have Virgin Organic coconut oil on hand and the peppermint oil lasts forever!   :D
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2007, 03:49:27 AM »
Has anyone heard of using Grapefruit seed extract on your toothbrush to remove plaque?

Done that!  SUPER YUCK!!  Nothing gets that taste out of my mouth quickly enough.   :P

A woman I knew used to put GSE in her morning coffee.   :o  No way for me!
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2007, 04:15:32 AM »
I've been experimenting with toothpaste. I think I found one that tastes pretty good and works well :)

5 t aluminum free baking soda
1/2 t salt.
5 t glycerin
5 drops peppermint oil.
couple dashes of cayenne pepper.

mix together. Adjust the glycerin to desired consistency and the peppermint and cayenne to the taste you like. We like this and it cleans really well. I added the cayenne to the original recipe since I had read it's good for gum disease. I store it in a small plastic container. We use a short straw to put it on the toothbrushes so we don't all have to dip :P
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2007, 04:52:53 AM »

Done that!  SUPER YUCK!!  Nothing gets that taste out of my mouth quickly enough.   :P

A woman I knew used to put GSE in her morning coffee.   :o  No way for me!

Thanks for the warning!  I've never had it so I wasn't sure what to expect.
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2007, 05:57:31 AM »
This looks interesting! i have both items as well! does the coconut oil stay liquidy then with the peppermint oil in it?

OH wait *smackonforehead* ::)  i make a cough rub with eucalyptus oil in coconut oil and it stays liquidy!!! sorry...ok gonna go make some tooth drops now!!  :D

For awhile we were using Dr. Jordan Rubin's (author of The Maker's Diet) TOOTH DROPS.  Then we ran out and realized that it was an expensive alternative for a family of 12! 

SO, we started making our own using Virgin Coconut Oil and adding several drops of peppermint oil (to taste) in the dropper bottle!  2-4 drops of that mixture on the toothbrush and VOILA!  My husband LOVES it and says his teeth not only feel clean, but feels/smells fresh!  AND my children love it too =)  The great thing is that we always have Virgin Organic coconut oil on hand and the peppermint oil lasts forever!   :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:59:42 AM by kittyninja »

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2007, 06:46:01 AM »
COCONUT OIL W/PEPPERMINT DROPS 
Wintertime Hints

It sometimes gets cold for the oil and has a hard time dispensing out of my bottle.  In that case, we put the bottle in a little jar/container of HOT tap water and it will liquefy fairly quickly.   ;D
»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«:*´`³¤³´`*:»«:*´`³¤³´`*:»§«

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2007, 11:39:26 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Ester C being good for the enamal? I just bought some Nutrismile organic toothpaste and it has that in it. Im so sick of baking soda. I hope this works well.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4