Author Topic: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products  (Read 99025 times)

Offline milmuth

• Adept
Re: Homemade Toothpaste & Other Dental Products
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »
Asking again :)

What do you put your toothpaste in to store/use/dispense it?  How much do you make at a time, or how long does one batch last?  I'd like to start making it as soon as this tube is gone. 

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007, 03:03:37 PM »
I'm sure you guys (and ladies!) have all heard this before, but my sister has been a dental assistant, and she says you should NEVER use Baking soda on your teeth, that it will wear the enamel off.  Maybe that's why the older generation has bad teeth????  Any thoughts on this?

Bump I would like to hear about this.

Offline sierra

• Learning
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
I'm sure you guys (and ladies!) have all heard this before, but my sister has been a dental assistant, and she says you should NEVER use Baking soda on your teeth, that it will wear the enamel off.  Maybe that's why the older generation has bad teeth????  Any thoughts on this?

My mom was a dental assistant and the dentist said to use baking soda and peroxide twice a week ???

But that was the 1970's...things change :)
I have the most wonderful job: wife to Craig,  mommy to Orrin (7), Mostyn (6), Praise (4),  Sasona Joy (2) and Berwynn (born 1-15-08)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 09:15:04 PM »
No fluoride or glycerin please.

We make ours with glycerine. Is there a reason we shouldn't? I mean, is it bad or something?

bump...wondering about the glycerin as well.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »

We make ours with glycerine. Is there a reason we shouldn't? I mean, is it bad or something?

I believe it contains sugar and is contributive to candida.  I don't remember where I read this, but I think that's the possible drawback.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 07:12:40 AM »
I just recently heard that is glycerin is bad for your teeth. Your teeth are suppose to enamel themselves and glycerin creates a coating, therefore, not allowing your teeth to do what they need to do. I don't have a source to qoute at the moment, but will post one when I find it. The alternative to tooth paste is to just use soap. I haven't tried it yet, but I know some people that have and they say their teeth are whiter and that food doesn't stick to them at all. Again, I will post the source, but I found it pretty interesting.
Jessica   

Offline restinginjesus

• Learning
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2007, 07:26:35 AM »
I have heard of people using miracle 2 Neutralizer.  to brush teeth. We are trying that now and it seems fine! The ingred. areenergized water, ash of dedcyl solution , calcium, potassium, magnesium

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »
As to glycerin for teeth- HB posted a link once to a dentist guy who claimed glycerin is bad for teeth, and (I believe) he's the one who has made it popular to use soap. I have 2 thoughts- One, soap (at least 'real' homemade soap) is naturally high in glycerin, which is one reason it's better for your skin, and Two, his site is the ONLY place where I have read that glycerin is bad for teeth. That makes me think that either he's right and the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet, or else, it's just his Theory, and it may be true, but who knows? I haven't brought myself to try soap yet because it doesn't sound convincing, and it tastes bad. BUT all this is just my thoughts. I don't have proof or evidence of anything.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »
toying with a new recipe

I'm currently using baking soda and chopped mint leaves and I like it, but I was thinking about using some chopped egg shells to balance out the soda.  There's a recipe earlier in the thread that calls for calcium carbonite powder (egg shells), so then I was thinking maybe you could powder some soap and throw that in there for good measure and then maybe the soap wouldn't taste so bad ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »

I believe it contains sugar and is contributive to candida.  I don't remember where I read this, but I think that's the possible drawback.

i was thinking the glycerin was a type of sugar, so it was bad for teeth.  just thinking that could be why.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 09:01:44 PM »
Asking again

What do you put your toothpaste in to store/use/dispense it?  Or do you make it every time you brush??

How much do you make at a time, or how long does one batch last?

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 02:42:27 AM »
Mine is a powder so I keep it in a small glass jar with a lid.  I think it had samples of jelly in it at one time.  I make about a week at a time,  I put some in my hand and dip my wet toothbrush in the toothpaste.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline Jlynn

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 09:41:56 AM »
I thought this was pretty good info on the ingredients we use to make homade toothpaste. 

http://mizar5.com/keyes.html

(from this link)

Glycerin 
Glycerin has an antibacterial potential, which is not well recognized. When living bacterial dental plaque is examined with a phase contrast microscope, all of the motile microorganisms (spirochetes, amoebae, motile rods, tricohmonads, etc) can be seen actively moving about. If a drop of glycerin is add to the solution in which the bacterial are living, all motility instantly ceases. In the scientific literature some of the antibacterial properties of glycerin have been described.

More specifics on veg .glycerin
 http://www.botanical.com/products/learn/vegetable-glycerine.html
"It becomes us to spend this life only as a journey toward Heaven....to
 which we should subordinate all other concerns of life.  Why should we
 labor for or set our hearts on anything else, but that which is our
 proper end and true happiness?" Jonathan Edwards

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2007, 06:36:53 AM »
I got a few bottles of mint oils (peppermint, wintergreen,spearmint) and put them in eye drop bottles.  We individually mix our own tooth paste,

When you say mint oils, what do you mean?  Essential oils or is it something different?

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 04:13:34 AM »
bump

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 05:45:52 AM »
I just use any oils we have, essential or cooking oils.  Like once in a while I put in a drop of tea trea oil and when looking for a different flavor I may go to the kitchen and grab the orange oil or peppermint. 

Anyone find anything on only using the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide only twice a week?  We use it daily??  My daughter has one fake tooth and recently needed a new bridge made.  Dentist couldn't believe he had made her last tooth such a bad color match until I told him what we were doing!  He said all the whitening strips out there are just hydrogen peroxide.

As for storage, we mix it as we need it in a small bowl on the bathroom counter (a pink heart shaped bowl ;D)  We all dip into the same bowl and it sits until it is gone.  May not be the most hygenic method ...... but it works for us   :P :P  And if I have to throw it away for some reason I figure I am little throwing away fractions of a penny.

Offline danielswife

• Learning
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »

Hi, oneblessedwoman, I've been using pretty much pure baking soda and salt on my teeth since i was 12 and have NEVER been to a dentist until this year (I'm 20). She said I had very healthy, strong teeth, and no cavities at all. 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
I just got an email from a guy who uses bentonite clay to as a tooth powder.     
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Mom_to_12

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »
Supplies Required
1 tablespoon grated pure soap
 2 tablespoons baking soda (sodium bicarbonate),
1 tablespoon filtered or distilled water
method of grating soap (such as a cheese grater or
potato peeler)
 Essential oils (so far I've used Peppermint and orange - in two separate batches)
Step 1: Grate 1 Tablespoon of Soap
 Measure 1 tablespoon of the grated soap by pressing the grated soap into the
tablespoon until it is full and level, not heaping. Place the grated soap into a small bowl.
Step 2: Dissolve the Soap with 1 Tablespoon of Water
Pour 1 tablespoon of water over the tablespoon of grated soap. Cover the bowl with a lid or
with plastic wrap. Allow the soap to completely dissolve in the water for about an hour, until the combination becomes gelatinous. After an hour, check to make sure all of the soap has completely dissolved; if necessary, slowly stir with a fork and re-cover the bowl until the soap has completely dissolved.
Step 3: Add the Remaining Ingredients
add 2 level tablespoons of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the
dissolved soap. Use a small mixing spoon to combine the ingredients. Note: The combination
will seem too dry but do not add more water; after continuing to mix with a spoon for about 1 minute, the product will resemble the consistency of commercial toothpaste. You can use the natural tooth paste as is, but I like to add about 15 drops of an essenial oil for flavor.
I store this in a small covered container - one of those plastic babyfood containers.
Dip dry toothbrush into the natural toothpaste.
Brush teeth as usual.

This has worked pretty well for our family.

Offline viola

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 05:16:49 AM »
sounds good and easy!

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 05:47:17 AM »
All I've been using is baking soda with enough water to make a paste, and a few drops of peppermint oil. It tastes and feels much better than regular toothpaste.  My teeth feel super clean, and they look whiter.  8)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 10:54:11 AM »

Hi, oneblessedwoman, I've been using pretty much pure baking soda and salt on my teeth since i was 12 and have NEVER been to a dentist until this year (I'm 20). She said I had very healthy, strong teeth, and no cavities at all. 
K, well, I came on here "hunting" this.  I have a friend that used to be a hygenist and she said the same thing about the enamel so I have been wondering about it.  Don't want to ruin my kids teeth.  Actually I was a smaralleck and said hm, I wonder which is worse rubbing off enamel or poisioning ourselves with flouride?  Wasn't that naughty?  Anyway I was so "proud" of myself for making my own.  I just can't afford Toms or the stuff from the HFS.  So are you all in agreement it wont' be harmful?  the way, I found one of thosed little travel shampoo bottles at walmart(empty)  :D and I put the soda, salt, peppermint oil and water paste in that.  Wondering abut using hte peroxide instead of water? woudl that be okay to let it sit in  a bottle that way?  Thanks.

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2007, 01:58:05 PM »

Here is a quote by SC from the "Tooth Enamel and Baking Soda" thread.

That flavored stuff your dentist uses to polish your teeth with -- the paste he puts on his polishing tool -- is baking soda. I asked mine.

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »
As far as sweetening the toothpaste, has anyone tried xylitol? It's a natural sweetener and it's supposed to be really good for you teeth too.

Also, I got some of the Sweet Orange from Dianna's Sugar... that place, and the bottle says "not intended for internal use." I take it it's still OK for toothpaste since I won't be swallowing it. I talked to the gal there and she said there product is not FDA approved for eating, but I'm guessing she was giving me a  ;) over the phone saying that she wasn't allowed to tell me it's not safe to be consumed because it's not FDA approved.
My 4 yods, "Mama, do mommy cows have rutters?"

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »
I tried the BS with Sweet Orange and I even added Xylitol for sweetness. I think it's great and I believe my sensitive teeth are getting less sensitive. But my kids (son 3 1/2 and daughter 19 mths) act like I'm poisoning them. Anyone have any suggestions on getting little ones to accept the new paste w/o pinning them down  >:( ? Any kid approved essential oil flavors?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2007, 03:44:44 AM »
I tried the BS with Sweet Orange and I even added Xylitol for sweetness. I think it's great and I believe my sensitive teeth are getting less sensitive. But my kids (son 3 1/2 and daughter 19 mths) act like I'm poisoning them. Anyone have any suggestions on getting little ones to accept the new paste w/o pinning them down  >:( ? Any kid approved essential oil flavors?
I just took away the toothpaste and explained to them it was bad for them.  I told them to brush with water and didn't offer my tooth powder.  They began to ask for it so that they could be like mom or so they wouldn't be left out of the grownup stuff.   ::) 

I use BS with just a tiny bit of crushed mint leaf.  They love it.  I give them their own container with just enough in it because they tend to get it wet and worthless in a few uses.   ;D 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2007, 06:14:06 AM »
I also asked mine about this and he said it has a higher silica content. "OK, that's good." Oh, and 7 TIMES the normal amount of fluoride!!!!! "WHAT???" That was our last trip to the dentist for now...

Here is a quote by SC from the "Tooth Enamel and Baking Soda" thread.

That flavored stuff your dentist uses to polish your teeth with -- the paste he puts on his polishing tool -- is baking soda. I asked mine.

And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline havasmama_05

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
I just took away the toothpaste and explained to them it was bad for them.  I told them to brush with water and didn't offer my tooth powder.  They began to ask for it so that they could be like mom or so they wouldn't be left out of the grownup stuff.   ::) 

I use BS with just a tiny bit of crushed mint leaf.  They love it.  I give them their own container with just enough in it because they tend to get it wet and worthless in a few uses.   ;D 

Thanks! I did try a different approach before I read your reply. And we were completely out of their toothpaste, so that helped too. My daughter (the younger one) seemed to follow my son's dislike for the new toothpaste, so I figured if I got him to accept it, she would follow. So I asked him to be a big boy so that his sister would like it too, explained to him cavities in simply terms and explained that if he didn't treat it like such a bad thing, it wouldn't be so bad. But the clincher was telling him that baking soda and xylitol are what I put in cookies and I kept coming back to that. To get my daughter to cooperate, after seeing her brother do such a good job, I let her brush her teeth herself and I would step in to help a bit. Now my son tells me thru-out the day, "I like baking soda now, huh!"  :D

I'll have to try mint. No, really, I will. My husband said so....  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:43:16 PM by havasmama_05 »

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »
I really liked the Burt's Bees toothpastes for myself & the kids. Looking at the ingredients, it seems that it might be simple to make my own version of it, since they stopped making it. >:(  Has anyone tried it?

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2007, 03:49:50 AM »
Read an article on Xylitol for teeth and it sounded so good I was wondering what brands of healthy gum have Xylitol in them ?? Are there any? How would you incorporate Xylitol into your diet?