Author Topic: My 15yo is having swollen gum issues  (Read 2830 times)

Offline anneboat

• Learning
My 15yo is having swollen gum issues
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:39:12 PM »
We just came back from the orthodontist and she has been concerned the past few months of my son having swollen, bleeding gums.  He is brushing twice a day, 2 min in teh morning and 4 min in the evening, plus mouthwash (has bad breath issues, gonna try enzymes).  She says there is not a plaque issue. She wants us to go see a periodontist for this issue.  I can't help but think there is  a better, natural way to go about this. 

Would poor digestion cause this?  Could the enzymes help?  What about a peroxide rinses?  Any ideas are welcome. 

We eat whole foods, drink raw milk, raise our own vegetables and grass fed meat.  So I"m a bit baffled by all this.  Thanks for any and all help.

Oh, one more thing, he also hawks up yucky loogies all the time.  I'm suspecting he has a milk issue or again, poor digestion.  he does have horrible stomach  pains on occassion.  I haven't been able to nail down if it's a food causing it.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: My 15yo is having swollen gum issues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:51:16 PM »
Maybe brushing too hard?  Too often? 

Toothpaste containing aluminum, SLS or fluoride? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 04:31:16 AM »
I am wondering if he is having a reaction to the materials in his braces?

Anytime someone mentions bleeding gums I wonder what their vitamin C intake is.  Low vitamin C can result in scurvy which affects the gums horribly.  I would try vitamin C to bowel tolerance (buffered C like magnsium ascorbate).

Have you checked his vitamin D levels?  In chronic cases of illness, very high levels of vitamin D are recommended.  You probably want his level at 85 ng/ml or higher.  (A conventional MD will scream at that, so be warned.)

You might also consider the fungus link.  Here are some articles from Doug Kaufmann's site:

http://www.knowthecause.com/FindInformation/NewsletterArticles/tabid/84/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/622/Hidden-Infections-Disease.aspx

http://www.knowthecause.com/FindInformation/NewsletterArticles/tabid/84/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/625/Michael-Jordan-and-Fungus.aspx

Look on the left-hand side of the page for all the archived articles.

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
For what its worth, I have been rinsing with GSE for quite a while...figuring it was a natural way to fight gingivitus. you CAN brush too hard so you have to be careful. and my teens tell me they are brushing when in fact...who  knows....swollen gums mean inflammation and rinsing would reduce that.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
I just read about using cinnamon extract powder to heal periodontal disease.  David Williams (Alternatives newsletter) recommends 250 mg of cinnamon extract5 powder to be swished and dissolved in the mouth for several minutes, up to four times a day.  Do not rinse afterward.  Use an oral probiotic at bedtime to replenish good bacteria.  These two together should help quite a bit with inflammation.

Note: the cinnamon extract powder may tingle or even have a heating sensation.  If you are sensitive start with a small amount once a day and work up to the full 250 mg 4x daily.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:26:14 PM by DHW »