Author Topic: A tea for the Big D's  (Read 3236 times)

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
A tea for the Big D's
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »
Something went around my husbands office that he ended getting and then passing onto the rest of the family.  I love those kinds of gifts.  :(  I made up a tea for him that was equal measurements of comfrey, alfalfa, meadowsweet and bayberry bark.  I simmered these for 15 minutes.  I drank two cups the first hour and only had one episode and then drank another two cups and have been fine.  I also took a large clove of garlic with raw honey (that was to help it down).  My husband had severe diarrhea all day, but he didn't take any fresh garlic.  My first brew of tea didn't have the comfrey, but the second did and he didn't have any movements after that.  Just  thought I would pass this along.
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: A tea for the Big D's
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »
Thanks...I'll put that in my remedy recipe book.   8)
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:58:18 PM »
Is it safe to take comfrey on a daily basis for a recurring problem?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 04:43:04 PM »
2 more things that are good for diarrhea are blackberries & blueberries. Just eat them straight. Yum :D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »
I keep canned blackberries around just for this purpose ;D.
We have used Aromatic Compound from the McNess company quite successfully.
Active ingredients:extracts of blackberry, rhubarb, and ginger

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
Yes, those are great, but unfortunately we had just finished off the 20 gallons of blueberries from this summer a week ago.  :(
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:17:47 PM »
Aromatic Compound....in addition to the active ingredients of blackberry, rhubarb and ginger it has a little bit of cinnamon, anise and clove which might help as wel even though they are not listed as active ingredientsl. It's 10% alcohol and also has glycerin ....and sodium benzoate, sugar and water as the last 3 ing. Oh, and caramel coloring.  >:( It isn't  alot of the bad stuff as it is dosed like a tincture- by drops or at most 2 tsps.

I've been wondering if I could make something similar myself. My bottle is almost all. Any ideas?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:39:54 PM »
Aromatic Compound....in addition to the active ingredients of blackberry, rhubarb and ginger it has a little bit of cinnamon, anise and clove which might help as wel even though they are not listed as active ingredientsl. It's 10% alcohol and also has glycerin ....and sodium benzoate, sugar and water as the last 3 ing. Oh, and caramel coloring.  >:( It isn't  alot of the bad stuff as it is dosed like a tincture- by drops or at most 2 tsps.

I've been wondering if I could make something similar myself. My bottle is almost all. Any ideas?

Either a sweet spiced syrup along the line of elderberry syrup or a tincture of dried blackberries with the other ingredients. Yes, the spices probably do help some b/c they are antibacterial. Watch putting in too much ginger- it's a laxative in larger amounts but only a mild one.

Maybe some ideas from these posts:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2496.msg22253.html#msg22253

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2614.msg220510.html#msg220510

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2614.msg218624.html#msg218624

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom