Author Topic: Flaxseed  (Read 17394 times)

Offline sarcalho

• Wide Eyed
Flaxseed
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:57:46 PM »
I have a question...my husband has really had a bad stomach his whole life.  I started giving him flaxseed.  It worked wonders for his stomach.  My question is...I recently read an article that said that flaxseed has the same effects as soy on hormone balance.  My 8 month old daughter seems to have a week stomach.  She has been nursed her whole life.  I just started introducing food within the past 2 months.  I know infants can have flaxseed.  My question is, I don't want to be giving her something that is going to mess with her hormone levels.  Any ideas if flaxseed is safe not only for my husband but for my infant and toddler as well?  How about when expecting another baby?  We just found out yesterday that we are expecting our third.  Thank you for any information. 

Sarah

Offline Beth in Idaho

• Adept
Re: Flaxseed
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 06:36:26 PM »
I have heard this effects the hormones too....I was told by someone I shouldnt take it until I get my hormones worked out with progesterone cream because it reacts like estrogen and if a person is estrogen dominant that just increases the dominance.....looking fwd to hearing from others on this because I have been taking ground flax seed every morning and it really helps my nails grow! Beth in Idaho

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:50:43 AM »
bump
I'm interested too.  Now I have something new to research.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 06:12:18 AM »
It appears that Flax is right at the top of the list of phytoestrogens.  The thing I find interesting is that it is NOT the same as Soy which is listed as #2.  According to Wikipedia, Flax belongs to a group called LIGNANS and Soy belongs to a group called ISOFLAVONES.  I haven't found much evidence to differentiate how they individually affect the body.

More research for anyone who's interested. 
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:53:50 PM »
My question is...I recently read an article that said that flaxseed has the same effects as soy on hormone balance.

Could you please reference that article or provide a link to it if possible? Thanks!  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »
Quote from: sarcalho
My question is...I recently read an article that said that flaxseed has the same effects as soy on hormone balance.

Quote from: PMESGuy
Could you please reference that article or provide a link to it if possible? Thanks!  Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soybean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoestrogens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoflavones
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignan
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 03:26:25 PM »
Hi! I need some info on flaxseed. I know I could look it up in some search, but I want to hear from real life experiences. Would you please share with me all the benefits (and the not so benefits ;)) of eating ground flaxseed daily. Also, I heard its better if you grind the flaxseed everyday. I'm wondering, how long can I store it for after I grind it? I would really appreciate all the info!!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:03:15 PM »
Hey I know I and many others have shared lots on flax before, so if you type "flax" in the search bar you can find many testimonials!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 03:32:09 AM »
Well, I searched on here and couldn't really find anything that deals with flax just for the sake of searching flax.  KWIM?  It is mentioned alot but I couldn't find anything the told me if it would be harmful to the hormone aspect.  I looked on mercola and it seems flax is good.  That it helps fight breast and prostate cancers and that is lowers the estrogens.  I really think my hormones are "off."  I have a saliva test in the cabinet but have only rencently stopped nursing so have been waiting to take it but I wondered if the the flaxseed would be better or not.  Apparently I don't absorb vitamins well.  When I have been tested my zinc and iodine are basically nonexistent but I noticed the flaxseed has zinc.  Any thoughts on this or can someone direct me to a good place to look into it more? 

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 03:37:17 AM »
Well, I searched on here and couldn't really find anything that deals with flax just for the sake of searching flax.  KWIM?  It is mentioned alot but I couldn't find anything the told me if it would be harmful to the hormone aspect.  I looked on mercola and it seems flax is good.  That it helps fight breast and prostate cancers and that is lowers the estrogens.  I really think my hormones are "off."  I have a saliva test in the cabinet but have only rencently stopped nursing so have been waiting to take it but I wondered if the the flaxseed would be better or not.  Apparently I don't absorb vitamins well.  When I have been tested my zinc and iodine are basically nonexistent but I noticed the flaxseed has zinc.  Any thoughts on this or can someone direct me to a good place to look into it more? 

Here is a helpful site - www.flaxhealth.com
click on "facts about flax"
then "health benefits of flax seed"

Flax is a phytoestrogen. Phytoestrogens are estrogen-like substances that are found in plants. Flax is the richest known plant source of phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens act as a natural hormone therapy and help to stabilize hormonal levels.

We try to put flax into just about everything, from oatmeal, our everyday bread, salads, pastas, etc.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:40:12 AM by SamsGirl »
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 04:16:35 AM »
Thank you Samsgirl.  So it is a good thing.   :)  I was a little unclear on that.  I will go to the site you mentioned.  Too bad you have to grind them to get the full benefit. They are quite tasty.   :)

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
We try to put flax into just about everything, from oatmeal, our everyday bread, salads, pastas, etc.

I used to be SO good about adding ground flax seed. I *must* get back to using it more! We like it in smoothies and in our yogurt, but it does change the texture when we add too much, well, if that's even possible!  ;)

You can also use ground flax seed as an egg substitute:

1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 hot Tablespoons water = one egg

Grind flax seeds in a blender or coffee grinder. Transfer to a bowl and beat in 3 tablespoons of water using a whisk or fork. It will become very gelatinous. Increase recipe if more is needed, using the 1:3 ratio ground flax seed:water.

Offline Happy-N-England

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
Does anyone have any more information about flaxseed and hormones?  I have been trying to heal my gut and I have added flaxseed to my diet.  I have to eat about 1/4 -1/2 a cut every day to keep myself going to the bathroom.  I have recently been dealing with irritability.  So, when I read this thread I started to think it could be the flaxseed.  Does anyone know?

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:23:17 AM »
I found whole flaxseed at the grocery store once.  Now they don't seem to have it.  They have what they call whole ground.  Not sure how it can be whole and ground at the same time.  Anyway it is bob red mill but it is ground but I thought if it stayed ground it would be rancid?  If it is sealed and then kept in the fridge will it be fine?  And will the oils still benefit but not as much or not at all? 

Offline Leah IL

• Adept
    • Hillman Acres
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
I wanted to share a flaxseed tip.  I grind ours in a coffee grinder and keep it in a plastic parmesan cheese shaker container.  I have noticed that since I started doing this, I use it much more often. 
Leah
Married to Ken 14 years, mom to Kenny (13), Kyle and Kaitlyn (11), Kevin (5) and Megan and Melissa (1 1/2)

My Intro: http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1573.msg838.html#msg838

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 03:27:50 AM »
I wanted to share a flaxseed tip.  I grind ours in a coffee grinder and keep it in a plastic parmesan cheese shaker container.  I have noticed that since I started doing this, I use it much more often. 

I like this idea, Leah!  Do you store it in the fridge?
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 04:30:55 AM »
Flax seed oil oxidizes (goes rancid and becomes not good for you) so quickly that I would store ground seed in the fridge for sure!

JMO,
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 05:51:13 PM »
I have been eating whole flax seeds via putting them into foods like salad, dandelion cookies  and more. Will put them in the oatmeal for breakfast in the morning.

I read in various places how we supposedly don't get the medicinal value by eating it whole because it just simply passes threw the digestive tract. But I don't understand that because my teeth chew it up so wouldn't it get some what ground up by my teeth?

-does eating it whole still help you medicinally?

I just like using it whole in and on foods right now but if it is better to grind it I can.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »
I have been eating whole flax seeds via putting them into foods like salad, dandelion cookies  and more. Will put them in the oatmeal for breakfast in the morning.

I read in various places how we supposedly don't get the medicinal value by eating it whole because it just simply passes threw the digestive tract. But I don't understand that because my teeth chew it up so wouldn't it get some what ground up by my teeth?

-does eating it whole still help you medicinally?

I just like using it whole in and on foods right now but if it is better to grind it I can.

They are so small, that they probably do not get chewed as well as you might think.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 12:02:55 PM »
We use our Vitamix to grind them up, and then right now we put them in our kefir smoothies: 

1.5 T. of ground flax seed
1.5 cups kefir
3 cups milk
2 frozen bananas.

Put anymore flax and my kids said the taste wasn't all that great.  We did put ground flax on top of oatmeal, but discovered it changes the consisitency of the oatmeal to goo. :P

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:28 AM »
My MIL has been trying to explain to me for a while about a grain/seed that her mom used to use on wounds when she was a little girl on the farm. We finally figured out that it was flaxseed. She said her mom would boil the whole grain on the stove, make a poultice, then leave it on overnight. By the next day their skin would be white, and it would help the wounds heal quickly by drawing out the poisons.
Has anyone ever used flaxseed for this purpose? The only info I could find during searching on line was a note on the Mayo site that you should not use flax on open wounds. It didn't say why.
The reason I ask is that my MIL has a terrible rope burn around her ankle that is still festering bad after a week and a half. She had been putting a storebrand antibiotic cream on it, but since she's been here, I've been making her some fresh plantain poultices. I do think it's looking a bit better, but she was wondering if she should try the flax.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
My MIL has been trying to explain to me for a while about a grain/seed that her mom used to use on wounds when she was a little girl on the farm. We finally figured out that it was flaxseed. She said her mom would boil the whole grain on the stove, make a poultice, then leave it on overnight. By the next day their skin would be white, and it would help the wounds heal quickly by drawing out the poisons.
Has anyone ever used flaxseed for this purpose? The only info I could find during searching on line was a note on the Mayo site that you should not use flax on open wounds. It didn't say why.
The reason I ask is that my MIL has a terrible rope burn around her ankle that is still festering bad after a week and a half. She had been putting a storebrand antibiotic cream on it, but since she's been here, I've been making her some fresh plantain poultices. I do think it's looking a bit better, but she was wondering if she should try the flax.

Hi sweetestday,

Sharol Tilgner discusses using flax as a poultice. I watched a video of her making one a while back. Her Materia Medica is here though it doesn't go into a lot of detail about the poultice:

http://www.herbaltransitions.com/BotanCom.html#F

eta:

I just watched the flax video again and Tilgner indicates that the flax can be used to draw infections/ pus. It is a very drying poultice. By festering you mean infection, right?

Those farm mamas knew what they were doing!

Thank you very much, I will let her know. (She just headed home today.)
Yes, it looked very infected when she first got here on Wed... Dark red and warm area surrounding an oozy yellow center. Her rope burn was about 3-4 inches across her ankle, and it cut in pretty deep. By the time she left today, the redness was lightening, it had stopped oozing and was beginning to itch. I think the difference was from stopping the antibiotic cream, and using the plantain poultices. She has a weed free yard, unlike mine :-\ so maybe she can pick up some flax seed to continue putting poultices on her wound.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2008, 06:09:29 PM »
In regards to taking flax seed internally:
http://www.cyst101.com/phyto.htm
"oral ground flax seed reduced breast cancer size between the time of diagnosis and surgery. The phytoestrogen contained in the flax seed binds to the estrogen receptor, but does not stimulate it. The flax seed phytoestrogen competes with other estrogens that would otherwise stimulate the estrogen receptor. The flax seed phytoestrogen acts as a blocker."

This is a fascinating article on phytoestrogens.  (It would be a great addition to many other threads...but I'm just too tired right now.)

-Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.