Author Topic: Is well water good for drinking?  (Read 5955 times)

Offline pelican

• Learning
Is well water good for drinking?
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
Hi,
I'm new here.  I've been reading for a couple of weeks and I have a question that has been bugging me.  Is well water good for drinking water?  My first reaction would be to say that well water or spring water is the best for you because they are the closest to how people have drunk their water through the ages.  Abraham and Sarah, as far as I know, never steam distilled their water or tried reverse osmosis.  I know that well/spring water can be a source of minerals for us also.  Recently I've been reading that the calcium in hard water can collect in our bodies.  In a recent x-ray, I found out I have calcium deposits beginning on my bones.  I'm thinking that it may be from years of drinking well water.  What do you all think?  I feel that God would keep something like water, that is so vital to our bodies, simple and that usually it is mankind that complicate things.  I've also been reading that you can dissolve calcium deposits in your body with vitamin C.  Does anyone know anything about this?  How much?  What other vitamins or herbs might also do the job?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Is well water good for drinking?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:56:02 AM »
Abraham and Sarah, as far as I know, never steam distilled their water or tried reverse osmosis. 

Yes, but I am sure they never had to worry about heavy metal or pesticide run-offs, either! LOL!  :D

I've also been reading that you can dissolve calcium deposits in your body with vitamin C. Does anyone know anything about this? How much? What other vitamins or herbs might also do the job?

I have never heard of the Vitamin C thing, are you sure Vit C powder wasn't used for calcium deposits in your sink or tub?  That is what I would think it would be for.  Excessive calcium would make me think that you are not getting enough magnesium, since the two balance each other.  There is a product that I will link that suggests getting rid of calcium deposits, and wouldn't you know it is magnesium powder.  HTH
http://www.allabouthealth.com/naturalcalm.htm

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:53:42 AM »
I used to work for a company that sold R/O's and softeners and in alot of cases well water is better than city/rural water, BUT you might consider having it tested if you're concerned.  With all the pesticides and herbacides and things that are in the environment today, your well water has the potential for being contaminated.  Some wells have even tested positive for flouride.  It just depends on your region.  I know the region I live in has tested as one of the worst places to get water from the ground or the city.  The region where I came from gets their city water from underground springs - so it really depends on the well and the city which water is best.

I would agree with healthyinOhio about your deficiencies.  I don't think drinking hard water would cause deposits (I coud be wrong).  Calcium deposits is actually a signal that your body is not getting enough calcium rather than too much.  I would think that not getting enough vitamin D, magnesium and healthy fats would be what's causing your body not to absorb the calcium you're getting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 04:56:10 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Dairae

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 05:08:48 AM »
Doesn't Sally Fallon recommend drinking hard water in NT? Help someone--I don't have the book any longer.

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 05:17:42 AM »
I feel pretty good about our water source.  We moved here a few years ago and the water tested good.  Also, we are very close(but not on) a spring fed lake.  We have a water softner but I fill a cooler full of water from the pressure tank (before it goes through softner) and use it for drinking.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 05:28:44 AM »
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother. I was explaining to her the changes we had made and answering her questions about the reasons why. I was excited about the topic. Finally, she responded, "So, I guess we just poisoned you kids with all of the stuff we fed you?"

"No, of course not," I responded. I went on to tell her that there were a lot less toxins and contaminants in the soil, air and water when we were kids. Now, we have to be aware of and guard against things that the FDA and the AMA tell us are within safe levels.

Better said, a single drink of well water won't kill you. It's the cumulative effect of the bacteria, chemical runoff, etc. coupled with the hormones, pesticides, and other treatments and processes imposed upon the food supply. Over time, these things build up in the body and cause problems.

For this reason, we use a water filter (even though we get our water from a community well), we eat organic as much as possible, we avoid processed foods, and are cautious about eating out. It isn't so much a fearful avoidance for us as it is a desire to take the best care of our bodies that we can because we see our lives as a gift from God to be used for Him.

We tried that frantic fearful "Oh no! Don't eat/drink THAT!" approach for a while. We found it to be not very productive (and isolating). It's much more fun to rejoice in the good things and share them with joy.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline pelican

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 04:54:59 PM »
My  reply to HealthyinOhio, your comments and link are very interesting.  I do take a calcium/magnesium supplement but the amount of magnesium is lower than what is recommended in The How to Herb Book, which is 300-400mg.  Is there a ratio of how much a person absorbs magnesium from say an epsom salt bath to minutes in the tub?