Author Topic: Bladder probs in 9yo girl  (Read 7438 times)

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
Bladder probs in 9yo girl
« on: December 04, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
My 9yo daughter has had a problem with leaking urine for about a month now.  Tests have shown NO infections, and I have tried numerous tinctures, homeopathic remedies, and also uva ursi teas.  There are no other symptoms whatsoever, and no obvious triggers--foods, moods, play/work, nothing.  She is a happy girl, but this obviously bothers her a lot (and me!)

Does anyone out here have any thoughts?  Is this some sort of weird thing that she'll grow out of?  She's frustrated, wearing bits of TP during the day, and I am just trying to keep positive, telling her that we will get to the bottom of things as we try different things.

Thanks,
Keri
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

Offline onmyway2natural

• Adept
  • Winter on Galveston Island, TX
Re: Bladder probs in 9yo girl
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:05:55 PM »
I don't have any answers for you, I had bedwetting problems into adulthood. But because of that I can completely understand the embarrassment your daughter might feel and I just wanted to suggest that you buy her some pantiliners (cloth would save money if this is a long term thing), rather than the bits of tp, until a solution can be found. At least she won't have to worry about it showing through her clothes at any time and if any other girls were to find out/see and ask about it, she can always have the excuse that you've prepared her for starting her period (because that can happen as early as 8).
My heart goes out to your daughter,
amy
Blessed wife to my own Prince William.
Grateful SAH&HsMommy to 9yog, 6yob, 5yob, 2yog.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:55:07 AM »
If it were me, I would treat for a UTI anyway - it couldn't hurt.  Blueberries, cranberries and Vit C are recommended for this in tandem with lots of water.  My kids have trouble wetting the bed when they drink milk and juice.  I take them off both and they do fine.  I would recommend taking your daughter off milk and juice.  I give my kids only water and kombucha.  Then I would attempt to teach her kegals.  This will strenghthen the sphincter muscles that keep everything in down there. 

Kidneys take out what the liver filters out.  You want to keep from overloading the liver with toxins.   Remove as many boxed foods or artificial drinks (preservatives, soy, hydrogenated fats, etc) from her diet.  Make sure she is getting a good source of omega 3s (cod liver, fish oil, etc).   Probiotics couldn't hurt and could only make her gut and overall health better.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 06:42:20 AM »
This is one of those instances when I would consider further testing. Here's why: If her bladder isn't emptying completely when she goes to the restroom, that would explain why she is experiencing leakage. The danger there is that the kidneys could become damaged by this over a prolonged period. A urologist can tell whether or not there is a physical problem that you should be concerned over. I would want to eliminate this as a possibility.

Once that question is answered, I second the advice on treating with foods/herbs that support the urinary tract and kidneys (blueberries, cranberries, kombucha, etc.)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:17:18 AM »
My 9yo daughter has had a problem with leaking urine for about a month now.  Tests have shown NO infections, and I have tried numerous tinctures, homeopathic remedies, and also uva ursi teas.  There are no other symptoms whatsoever, and no obvious triggers--foods, moods, play/work, nothing.  She is a happy girl, but this obviously bothers her a lot (and me!) ...
My sister called last year to ask what I thought about my niece.  (10 years old.)  She had the same symptoms as your daughter.  I said, "Oh, it's probably just a bladder infection."  It wasn't.  She actually had a strep infection.  We were both very surprised.  The pediatrician said sometimes strep presents strangely in young girls.  ???  Did your doc test for strep?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 08:41:21 AM »
The pediatrician said sometimes strep presents strangely in young girls.  ???  Did your doc test for strep?
I've never heard of this, but definately agree it's a possibility.  My kids are prone to strep and it does present itself in very unusual ways (boys too).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
Here is an update.   ND thought it was candida, so we did a lot of diet restrictions that I have to say were just not fun for a little girl.  She dutifully took her enzymes, probiotics, yeast killer, vitamins, fish oils, blah blah blah and nothing changed.  No strep.  No UTI.  No weird stuff showing up on her blood tests (that was a fun thing to do; getting a blood draw).  Sooooo, in the spirit of trying to be a good and responsible mother (read:  making relatives happy), we visited the MD, who basically said that she was a happy, healthy girl with something that will more than likely go away as mysteriously as it came.  That afternoon we put away all of the supplements, bought pizza, and had dessert after supper (I was just "done" with the whole matter).  Since then, I've been reading about puberty, and now I am thinking she is just having discharge and NOT urine coming out.  She has smelled it and says it looks "waxy".  Sounds like discharge to me.

Soooooo......this is new territory for me, as she is my eldest.  Any moms out there with daughters that have dealt with this or something similar?  Any and all words of wisdom (or downright humor; that'd be good too) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Keri
Happy help meet and mama of many, including one with Down Syndrome, looking to joyfully serve the Lord out of a happy home.

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 05:16:16 PM »
bump

No one has girls beginning puberty out there?

Keri

Offline CNM2B

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:45:49 PM »
Hi Keri,
   I'd say you're definitely dealing with a discharge! I had the same thing in the year leading up to when I started menstruating. Sounds just like what your daughter is dealing with. I used to wear pieces of TP too, and then pantiliners - which were a lot more comfortable and helped a lot. The discharge can be fairly heavy (I remember soaking at least 1 pantiliner- "lightdays" type- a day at times) but what I've read says that a discharge like the one you're describing (mostly clear, with no odors, no itching) is quite normal for some girls especially just before puberty. For me, the discharge continued after puberty for a while as well, and varied in amount at different times of the month. I would reassure your daughter that what she's experiencing is normal and have her wear pantiliners. It will go away in time - it's annoying though.... I'm interested to hear if other women remember experiencing anything like this.

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
Somehow, I missed the original post previously... so sorry!

I, too, was very "moist" constantly from around 9 until after I had kids.  (it ended somewhere after them but I was so busy, I just never noticed it anymore).  both of my sisters and my mother were the same way to one degree or another....
Don't worry.. It's normal!!!

My gyno told me back then (I'm 46 now) that some women just have a more "self-cleaning" system that is always producing fluids. 

I would suggest using homemade panty liners (or purchasing cloth ones).  The reason is that there is enough iritant with just being damp all the time.  She doesn't need that exaserbated by the chemicals in manufactured, disposable pantiliners.  I feel that I had a low level, chronic yeast infection most of my adult life because I always used those pantiliners for years (4-7 years almost every day) and didn't give my privates a break from the chemicals in the absorbant products.

Good luck with the whole puberty thing.  I have all boys, two past puberty and two to go... one is right on the egde even as I type. 

Offline kerimae

• Learning
    • A Happy Home Media
Re: Bladder probs in 9yo girl/PUBERTY
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
Oh thank you SOO much for replying.  Just today she was stressing over using two pantiliners over the course of the day, and I was wondering about that as well.  I read the last two posts to my daughter and the relief on her face (to know that she is "normal") was such a blessing to see.  It's one thing for me to reassure her, but having others do the same was good.  I plan to do a search for cloth liners soon.  THANK YOU.