Author Topic: The Water Cure  (Read 141241 times)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Re: The Water Cure
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2006, 03:44:21 AM »
Yes, I too could not get past the salt. It was too much. I don't like salt on my food, how could I drink it??? ::) Can I do this without salt and still get good results??? ??? Thanks

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2006, 06:06:49 AM »
Yes, I too could not get past the salt. It was too much. I don't like salt on my food, how could I drink it??? ::) Can I do this without salt and still get good results??? ??? Thanks

DEFINITELY.

There is no other substance in the world like water.  You can never have too much.  There is no toxicity level.  You can drink it all day long.  You can cook with it, clean with it.  IT IS the source of organic life.  Drink lots of it.  It will definitely help you cleanse your kidneys and bowels and will probably help you to lose weight in many different ways.  The toxins for one, but if you're constantly drinking water, your tummy won't have room for sodas, sugary drinks and even less room for food.  The water will also help to speed digestion which speeds up your metabolism which burns more fat. 

No matter what, you can't go wrong with water.

The only disclaimer I would offer is not to drink Distilled Water.  The absence of minerals in the water causes it to leach essential minerals from your body causing malnutrition and vitamin deficiency.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2006, 07:49:39 AM »
Since I'm still nursing and can't do anything too drastic I thought the water cure would be a good starting point.  But when I sat down and did the math I realized I'm already drinking more than half my body weight in ounces -- and often feel like it's still not enough.  Is this because I'm nursing?  Also, I haven't used the salt, so would this be the missing link? Do I need to drink MORE water?  I have self-diagnosed myself with Fibromyalgia as my symptoms as consistent with it and as much water as I drink I don't seem to be getting any better.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 07:57:44 AM »
Since I'm still nursing and can't do anything too drastic I thought the water cure would be a good starting point.  But when I sat down and did the math I realized I'm already drinking more than half my body weight in ounces -- and often feel like it's still not enough.  Is this because I'm nursing?  Also, I haven't used the salt, so would this be the missing link? Do I need to drink MORE water?  I have self-diagnosed myself with Fibromyalgia as my symptoms as consistent with it and as much water as I drink I don't seem to be getting any better.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Thanks

The measurements for the water are for a regular person, but you are feeding two.  You may (not an expert opinion) need to increase your water if possible and the salt is supposed to replace electrolytes lost during dehydration and it will also help your body to retain more fluids if necessary to keep your body from becoming dehydrated in the first place.  Dehydration being the cause of ailments, is the theory behind this "diet". 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006, 09:09:07 AM »
For all you who don't like the salt taste- add fresh squeezed lemon! I am drinking a lot of water, but only about 20 oz./day with 1/2 a lemon squeezed in, and 1/4 t. salt. I know that's not the full regimine, but I am too thirsty (nursing mom) to drink lemony salt water all day long. I still feel good knowing I am getting a little liver cleanse in.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006, 10:04:02 AM »
dara!  you are so right about adding lemon.  It too is really good for your kidneys to help remove toxins!

As for the salt, you need it for how much you are excreting.  I imagine for a marathon runner, or someone doing extreme work or sports with lots of sweat, you loose a lot of electrolytes, and to rehydrate you take salt tablets with your water.  Had a problem with DH dehydrating working in masonry in the 90's and 100's, but he was drinking over a gallon of water a day.  We needed to have him take the salt tablets.  Anyway, I'm sure there is more scientific definitions to this! ;) This is the best I can do for now!  Happy hydrating and water dieting! :D
I'm smiling! :D

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »

I too had a problem with the taste of the salty water.  My husband downed his 90 oz no problem.  I could barely drink 10oz  out of my 64oz.  :P Over a period of several days I started with just a pinch of salt and gradually worked my way up to a 1/4 teaspoon.  I am now used to it and drink without difficulty.  8)  Hope this helps!   :)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 04:12:21 AM »
Well, I started the water cure this morning.  I've gotten a whole 4 ounces down.  :(  I tried to take the TTU and can't seem to swallow it.  I'm definitely not hungry.  Is it ok if I skip breakfast?  I think I have had a virus all weekend, and I was up half the night in the bathroom.  I am trying to eliminate sugar and processed foods.  I also am avoiding dairy until I can figure out if I have any allergies.  So, no milk and cereal, no eggs (I think I'm allergic or at least sensitive), no bread or granola, and the organic yogurt I have has sugar in it, so what would I eat anyway?   :P  I have heard skipping meals is bad, is that always true?  *sigh* 
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 05:44:27 AM »
I admit to not reading the water cure yet. Just the comments but I do have a few questions.  If cleanses aren't good b/c we are breastfeeding and it's the toxins that we dn't want the baby to get not the herbs necessarily how is the water cure different and okay? and those of you that have lost weight doing it was it fairly fast?  Now I will go read The Cure. :)

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:48 AM »
Does anyone know if the salt needs to be taken WITH the water or if they can be taken separately?  I was thinking if it's okay to take separately, then some of us who might gag on the salt water could take it in capsules???  I don't know.  Just a thought.  Also, if you like sour/salty stuff, then try cutting up a lemon and dipping it in the salt.  YUMMMMMM!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 11:03:13 AM by TwinkleToes »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 07:00:04 PM »
Does anyone know if the salt needs to be taken WITH the water or if they can be taken separately?  I was thinking if it's okay to take separately, then some of us who might gag on the salt water could take it in capsules???  I don't know.  Just a thought.  Also, if you like sour/salty stuff, then try cutting up a lemon and dipping it in the salt.  YUMMMMMM!!

I wouldn't think this would matter.  Your body will retain the water to dilute the salt until you drink enough water to signal your body that you don't need the extra.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 11:36:46 AM »
I admit to not reading the water cure yet. Just the comments but I do have a few questions.  If cleanses aren't good b/c we are breastfeeding and it's the toxins that we dn't want the baby to get not the herbs necessarily how is the water cure different and okay? and those of you that have lost weight doing it was it fairly fast?  Now I will go read The Cure. :)
i don't know if anyone has answered this yet but I'm just guessing I think the water cleanse is ok while nursing because it is the toxins are being flushed out in the urine. With other cleanses the toxins are excreting anywhere possible and if -you're nursing -into the milk. again i am guessing if anyone has the right answer please let me know because i too am nursing.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 04:48:47 PM »
Just wondering how the water cure is doing for everyone doing.  And I have another question.  I am not clear on if it is actually the water that is doing the cure or the salt?  when I was pregnant I was drinking a gallon or more water a day with lemon and I didn't notice much of a difference.  Actually now that brings up another ?  What are the differences you notice?  OH, and just one more. Does WHAT you eat make a lot of difference?  Thanks in advance for any info.  And thank you kittyninja for answering the questions in my last post. :)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2006, 04:54:27 PM »
Am I the only one that can't drink 1/2 my body weight in oz. a day?  I'm working up to it and I'm halfway there.   :)  I've been adding the salt to my food instead of in the water.  I have noticed a grainy feeling in the back of my throat, the more I drink the worse it gets.  Is this normal?  A detox symptom maybe? 
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 04:43:01 AM »
I had my first quart of salt water and I had eggs for breakfast.(with onion, tomato and cheese) Now I feel kinda icky.  Kind of lightish headed and nasueous and like I dont' want any more of that water.  :-\ Has anyone else felt that way when they first started? 

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2006, 07:27:06 AM »
ahhh I love the water!!!  as far as will it still work without the salt? I dont really know but I do know lots of water never hurt anyone.. I have been amazed at how often my snacking urges are just really a need for water, I drink 16 oz at a time, it is what body builders do and it throws your body straight into fat burning mode, it also washes thru you and fixes so many things,  I drink quite a bit more than half my body weight because often i feel like i need it, I actually get thirsty and when i drink i feel way better. I want to do the salt again, I had quite because i felt so nontoxic, hee hee, but I want to keep toning up a bit.  I used to not be able to sweat when i was younger and was miserable because of it, but since doing the salt water and then just the water i have been amazed at how much i can sweat when i am working out. 
  and here is a question, is this ok to do for a guy or a person with high blood preasure????????                My hubby has HBP, and he is doing just the water right now, he switched from 2 or 3 doctor peppers a day to only water and a ton of it. I am so proud of him!!!     

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 07:02:04 AM »
Okay, I have more questions on the water cure.  I just started my boys 7 and 10 on the water cure.  My 10 yr old said that salt water is making him tired.  hm, I don't know about that so I was wondering if anyone has had any detox symptoms from doing.  By the way, he hasn't been doing it long enough to feel anything from it.  :D ANYWAY, I have been doing it well, I am not sure how long but maybe a week.  I just have SUCH  hard time gettig up in the mornings, and feeling SO tired myself.  Could this be a detox symptom? and does one FEEL symptoms with this cure?  AND last WHAT exactly is doing the cleanse? The water or the salt.  or is the salt there just to make you thirsty so you will drink what you are supposed to?  I am sorry I have read all the links (well except the qack watch one)about the cure and I have yet to understand what the salt exactly is for. Maybe I am just missing it.  :-[

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
Okay, I have more questions on the water cure.  I just started my boys 7 and 10 on the water cure.  My 10 yr old said that salt water is making him tired.  hm, I don't know about that so I was wondering if anyone has had any detox symptoms from doing.  By the way, he hasn't been doing it long enough to feel anything from it.  :D ANYWAY, I have been doing it well, I am not sure how long but maybe a week.  I just have SUCH  hard time gettig up in the mornings, and feeling SO tired myself.  Could this be a detox symptom? and does one FEEL symptoms with this cure?  AND last WHAT exactly is doing the cleanse? The water or the salt.  or is the salt there just to make you thirsty so you will drink what you are supposed to?  I am sorry I have read all the links (well except the qack watch one)about the cure and I have yet to understand what the salt exactly is for. Maybe I am just missing it.  :-[
  The salt is mainly for retaining the loss fluids i think! The the products they sell to replace lost fluids due to dehydration and sweating , ie gatorade, pedialyte, accelarade all have salt in them to for that reason.My husband is always complaining about drinking TONS of water and always feeling thristy but he sweats it out faster than he can replace it-accelarade works for him on mt biking trips because it has salt in it, but he just can't do the the salty ocean water thing-so he's stickin with accelerade. anyways i know this has already been discussed i just realized noone ever answered your questions. About the detox-I dunno-I felt tireder before feeling better and now i get yucky feeling when i have some sugar (trying to cut it out) or go a bit without drinking water.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2006, 11:51:47 AM »
Oh, thank you Kitty  :)  Teh boys didn't last the day.  They just couldn't take it so I am just trying to remember to remind them to drink water.  I did get up twice with baby last night just to turn her over and I have been going to bed later than I am used to but I got up at 5:30 to feed her then I did my exercises and fixed my husband breakfast and after he left at 7:30 I just fell back into bed and got up at 9:20.  I still felt like lead.  I dont' know.....maybe I just need more sleep.  Course when I sleep late like that my older son cleans while I'm asleep. I should do that more often.  ;D I am going for blood work tues and for them to look in my throat(another issue)and I am interested to see if my pressure will be up. It is always perfect even when I am preg.  Thanks again!! ;D

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2006, 03:37:04 AM »
I have been doing the water cure since Monday and for the last few days, I have been feeling REALLY sluggish, and for the last two days, I have been having some serious joint pain.  I have not had joint pain at any other time before.

Am I just really toxic?  I am still eating regularly while drinking the water, and once a day I drink water with lemon.  Any insight?
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2006, 11:32:47 AM »
The Water Cure:  A sure way to be sure your husband wont drink your water, even if his life depends on it!

On more than one occasion, my hubby has reached for my slighty-salty-water, taked a big mouthful...and promply spit it back into my drinking jar!  I, however, really like the taste (now, after 3-4 wks) and was shocked earlier today when I took a swig of "normal" water.  It actually tasted sweet to me  :o!
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
I've been doing this about 2 weeks now and had put lemon it everyday. My back tooth started hurting-anyone remember anything about TOO MUCH lemon juice being bad for your teeth?  and bajusabroad does hubby backwash enhance the benefits or flavor? ;D cos i got alot of it to in mine!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2006, 04:19:08 PM »
I've been doing this about 2 weeks now and had put lemon it everyday. My back tooth started hurting-anyone remember anything about TOO MUCH lemon juice being bad for your teeth?  and bajusabroad does hubby backwash enhance the benefits or flavor? ;D cos i got alot of it to in mine!

I can't eat lemons because they eat the enamel right off my teeth.  My teeth will hurt for hours even days if I eat them.  I would imagine too much lemon juice could do the same thing.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2006, 05:57:33 PM »
In Above Rubies they mention drinking lemon water and they reccomend sipping it through a straw to save your enamel.

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2006, 05:56:36 AM »
and bajusabroad does hubby backwash enhance the benefits or flavor? ;D cos i got alot of it to in mine!

Definitely the taste - hehe!  ;)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2006, 10:15:49 AM »
Gag, gag... that was my reaction to the water with salt...  When others have had a hard time, I thought, what  could be hard about a little salt...  It doesn't taste salty to me, though, but it is nasty and slimy.  There is absolutly NO WAY I can get it down without throwing up.  I am also interested in the idea of putting a little salt into a capsule and then dring a lot of water.  But if I am using salt on my food, is there any reason that I should do that?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »
Gag, gag... that was my reaction to the water with salt...  When others have had a hard time, I thought, what  could be hard about a little salt...  It doesn't taste salty to me, though, but it is nasty and slimy.  There is absolutly NO WAY I can get it down without throwing up.  I am also interested in the idea of putting a little salt into a capsule and then dring a lot of water.  But if I am using salt on my food, is there any reason that I should do that?

Depends on the type of salt.  The water cure calls for real sea salt, not iodized table salt.  I've not heard of anyone trying this, but I would think that potassium salt supplements might work ??? maybe?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »
HB I just read a post by you on another thread saying that distilled water leaches vitamins and minerals from your system.  YIKES, I was always told it was good for you, even though it lacks the vitamins and minerals.  Thanks for the warning!!

Offline sunflower

• Learning
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 02:41:37 PM »
What kind of benefits have you experience on the Water Cure?  Do you feel that it is working for you?  I am thinking of starting it real soon....tomorrow or the next.  It does not seem that hard....but after hearing everyone saying how salty it is I am re-thinking it.  Do you have all your water measured out for the day with the salt added into it according to your 1/2 weight?  Any other hint or advice?

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
sunflower:

I feel better while drinking the "water cure".  This may just be because I'm finally getting adequate liquid, since I now have a clear goal.  It also helps me stear clear of sweets.  It took about 5-7 days to get used to the salt, but now I like it!!  I drink two 1 qt. canning jars of water a day...with 1/4 tsp of my sea salt per qt.  I don't have a scale, but I know its close... (I hope  ::))

happy drinking!  (my hubby calls me a seagull now that I drink salt water :D)