Author Topic: The Water Cure  (Read 141205 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
The Water Cure
« on: April 28, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
I've wanted to do a juice fast or similar cleanse for awhile now. However, I've either been pregnant, nursing. or both for the past 3 years with atleast another year of nursing to go, which could turn into a pregnancy before she's done. Is there anything comparable that would be 'safe'? I'm in the 'normal' range 5'7" 125lb.

In my previous post I forgot to mention That I'm 31 weeks pregnant so doing a cleansing fast will not be an option for quite some time. Do you know if your other suggestions would be safe to try while nursing? I'm dreading the return of my muscle pain that always returns fullforce after a pregnancy. If I do have a parasite problem maybe doing the enema cleansing would also help keep my weight more normal.

Anyway, I am a nursing mom interested in something very simple to try in the way of cleanse or fast.  Our baby is 14 months and we do not intend to stop nursing anytime soon...
My questions is this:  Can I do a fast or cleanse using regular juices and/or water and expect results? 

I would love to do the cleanse because of the difference I've seen in my hubby, but I'm due to have my baby in 6 weeks...then a year or so of nursing...it will be a while. :-\

I'm also interested in trying but don't know if I could do the the long fast either. I am really thin. I'm 5'4" and weigh 93 lbs. I don't try to stay this thin but can't seem to keep any weight on when I'm nursing. After I wean my babies I still can't gain any weight until I get pregnant. Thankfully I gain plenty during pregnancy. I'm concerned about loosing weight if I tried to do a cleanse. My blood sugar is also really low especially when I'm that thin. I have fibromilgia. We have made alot of diet changes in the last few years that have really lowered my pain level but I haven't been able to totally kick it.  Doing a cleanse sounds helpful if I could. Any ideas?

Rebekah,
   I'm assuming the water cure is okay during pregnancy, too?  Also, does the water REPLACE meals or supplement them?  Whenever I'm pregnant I think my longest fast is overnight.   ::)  Thanks!           ~Layla

BeeyoutifulGirl wrote

There is also a cleanse that you can do while nursing which is recommended for all kinds of illnesses, and toxicity. It's called The Water Cure.  This involves drinking half your body weight in ounces, so if you weigh 140 pounds, you should drink 70 ounces of water a day. This should be divided into several 8 oz glasses of water and each quart should contain 1/4th teaspoon of unrefined sea salt.

The water should be free of flouride and chlorine.

You continue to eat while doing the Water Cure. It is actually a recommended way of life for people suffering with conditions like Parkinsons and Fibromayalgia who need a continual toxin cleanse. 

If you are pregnant [or nursing], I would make sure to eat regularly - maybe even more than usual, paying specific attention to your vitamin needs by eating plenting of meat and veggies, and taking spirulina.

I would also recommend doing this under the supervision of a midwife. It is my opinion that the Water Cure would be good for keeping down water retention/toxemia - but I am NOT a midwife, or doctor of any kind, and this is just my opinion.

The Water Cure Recipe (pro)
The Water Cure:  How Much and How Often (pro)
And Now for the Water Cure (pro)
Watercure.com (author)
QuackWatch (obviously not pro ;))
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 06:17:37 AM by BeeyoutifulGirl »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
Re: The Water Cure
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 08:17:41 PM »
The following is off topic:

About Quackwatch...

There are many people "out there" that are not interested in forward motion... only in tearing down whoever is near them. I am not sure why this is. From my experience these folks don't have much to offer... litterally. If the person telling you how bad someone / something / somewhere is and has no better alternative to offer, or no alternate theory that closely relates to the one in question... ignore them. That is my whole philosophy on these negative folks.

On the other hand there are some that will sincerely offer the best alternative they know. These types (in my opinion) are infinitely more useful to me and humanity in general. I guess I think it comes down to the old saying... "Put your money where your mouth is."

No matter how accurate quackwatch articles may be, they are so characteristically without positive alternative advise that I have no respect for them at all.

--gabe

PS: excellent post, HB, thanks!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 08:50:33 PM by healthybratt »

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 09:36:44 AM »
What is the salt for?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:47:59 AM by Ella »
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 09:57:59 AM »
What would happen to you if you drank seawater?

I had this question.  I figure if you can't drink seawater, why would you want to salt your water.  The above article explains it well.  (just in case you had the same question as me) ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
What is the salt for?
Maria

If I understand this theory correctly, Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. believes that dehydration can be a causitive factor in many illnesses, so in order to reverse the illness, you need to cure the dehydration.  Read some of the links mentioned in my earlier post for more information on this theory.  And read this article for more information on dehydration.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:49:37 AM »
1.  How long must this continue to take effect if I do not have any particular malady I need to cure?  (I'm not one that wants it to be the "way of life.")
2.  Do I go by my normal weight (107) or my ever increasing pregnancy weight (115)?  It's not a huge difference now (4 oz), but it will be....             ~L
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 06:37:52 AM by healthybratt »

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 06:48:38 AM »
1) If you are already totally healthy, it isn't really necessary to do the Water Cure anyway...
 So, I'd say you can quit whenever you want too, and start again if you feel like you are getting toxic...

2) I think the amounts are "in the neighborhood" amounts. 10 oz either way shouldn't make much difference. I personally prefer to over estimate amounts and drink an extra 10.

Tell us how it goes. :)
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Elbereth

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 01:20:22 PM »
I'm so excited about this way of cleansing!  I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old right now and I have this feeling that I won't get a chance to do the regular cleansing fasts etc., for years :)

I've also recommended this to my sister who cares for my mother who has alzheimers.  I've heard that alzheimers is related to toxic buildup of aluminum and just generally a toxic body and brain.  I am hoping that it helps.

By the way, does anyone know if this will help with Candida?

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:57:47 PM »
my sister and i have a bet going right now to both get to 125 lbs, that is what i was when i got married, we both were at 132. I am very happy to report that after starting the water cure thingy I am now at 127.   YYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:53:23 PM »
I filter my water with a pitcher, but it still has floride in it...
My sea salt looks likes normal salt from the store- is it too refined?...

Can I do the water cleanse with these factors, or do I need to buy water and new salt?
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »
125 lbs

*sigh*  I haven't been 125 lbs since I was 10 years old.  :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 09:57:05 PM »
Dara, yes your salt is still too refined.  It should have some brown particles in it.  You might want to get better water since you are drinking so much of it.  That would be bad to ingest all that flouride, I would think.

I have been doing the water cure for three days and I am feeling really good- I just realized I have a bunch of energy during the day! 
YAY!! 

I think it is odd though because although I have been guzzling water, I haven't noticed an increase in bathroom trips.  ????  Anyone else notice this?  Maybe I was dehydrated.... 

Offline homeschooltheheart

• Adept
    • The VBS Express
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 02:09:24 AM »
I have a question.

Should the amount of salt be 1/4 teaspoon per quart or 1/4 teaspoon per glass?  I saw two different suggestions?

Melissa

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 02:59:17 AM »
Mishy, are you nursing? When I'm nursing I can drink TONS and feel like I never need to go...
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 04:19:25 AM »
Mishy, are you nursing? When I'm nursing I can drink TONS and feel like I never need to go...

amen to that sista !  It has a scientific explantation but i prefer to think that God realzies that we need a break from the bathroom since I about lived in it whilts pregnant.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 06:19:55 AM »
Bleh... I misread the original directions, and all this time I thought it was 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 8 oz. of water. GAG. I could hardly drink it, and you guys all seem to think it's such a great cleanse... I went back and realized it's 1/4 teaspoon PER QUART of water.

Whew!

Okay, make sure you check on my advice by following the links...  ::)

Rebekah

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 06:22:12 AM »
125 lbs

*sigh*  I haven't been 125 lbs since I was 10 years old.  :-\

alkdjfoaiuofdijgal;kdjldsjfalskjLK!

ME either. :-*

Offline Laurie

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:17:09 AM »
Rebekah, I did the same thing!  Duh :P...no wonder my hands are so swollen!  I do like the taste of the celtic sea salt in the water, though. :P

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:26:22 AM »
  So glad someone noticed this since I'm planning to try it next week!  Learning from others' mistakes is so much nicer!   ;D             ~L

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 09:43:59 AM »
  So glad someone noticed this since I'm planning to try it next week!  Learning from others' mistakes is so much nicer!   ;D             ~L

hehe... yeah. No doubt. After I drank a quart of very salty water I told Gabe, "there is no way I'm going to do this cleanse." He said "how sure are you that you got the salt/water ratio right?"
Me: "I'm 95% sure..." and went to check.

I'm so lucky my mouth is size 10 -  ::) since my foot goes in so often.  :P

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »
Dara:  Yes, I am nursing.  Guess that is where all that water is going. 

Rebekah:  I thought you had just found another version.  I too tried the 1/4 tsp in a glass of water after reading your email and yuck yuck yuck! 
You get extra points for having drunk the entire quart that way.  I am impressed!!! 

LOL

Elbereth

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 02:43:48 PM »
 :D

Rebekah, you are too funny. :)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 06:24:51 PM »
So how many days do you do this cleanse? I am going to start tomorrow, and just wanted to see how long is the 'usual' time.

Offline dakotarose

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 06:41:58 AM »
I'm a bit confused concerning this water cure.  How come the links posted by beeyoutifulgirl don't mention the salt?  Am I understanding correctly that the "recipe" is simply to drink half the body weight in ounces of water and add 1/4 tsp sea salt to every quart? It sounds too simple!

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 09:50:38 AM »
It is that simple.  Not sure on the links.  I didn't re read them, but I did read them enough to NOT stick with "Rebekah's version" of 1/4 tsp per glass.  (hee hee).  You can do it with no salt if you prefer, but the salt does a better job cleaning you out than just the water.   Just so I don't confuse you, It is 1/4 tsp per QUART. 
:)

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 06:27:38 PM »
The first website (the water cure reciple) mentions drinking the water and salt together, but that is the only one.  I also am curious about more research on it.  I did a search on google and didn't find anything (I am not too internet savvy, so I may be searching the wrong way  ;D )  Does anybody have anymore documented information on it?  Thanks!

Offline homeschooltheheart

• Adept
    • The VBS Express
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:14 AM »
I couldn't get through this fast due to the texture of the water.  I have well water, which is very hard.  The salt made the water too soft.  Imagine that.  I felt like it was almost slimy.  As much as I wanted to do this fast, I could only get one glass down.  :-[

Melissa

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 07:21:34 AM »
I've never done a cleanse before so I thought I'd start out with something simple.  I still have a few questions though.  The links I've read haven't been too clear.  Can I eat while I'm doing this cleanse?  The curezone website says to use salt liberally with food.  Can I use the salt on food instead of drinking it in the water?  I've also read that you should divvy up the water throughout the day.  One site divided it like this:  2 glasses when you get up in the AM, 2 glasses 30 min before a major meal and 2 hrs after a major meal, and 2 before you go to bed.  I just got the impression that most of you that have done this did it without food.  My other question is, what kind of water do you recommend for this.  I have filtered tap water.  Should I buy distilled or spring water instead?  I'm not sure where to find reverse osmosis water, but I've heard a lot about it also.  Any help is appreciated.   :)

Edit:  One more question....Should I start the Supermom pills at the same time I start the cleanse?  I plan to take TTU and eliminate sugar from my diet to get rid of yeast.  Should I start everything at the same time, or would it be easier to get through if I waited a few weeks on the Supermom?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:33:43 AM by jaemom »
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 02:11:58 AM »
Help anyone??  Thought I'd bring this back up the the top, in case anyone had any answers.  I'm planning on starting this either today or Monday.  Thanks.  :)
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline felmleyfam

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 07:35:34 PM »
Nothing to add other than I love that there are pictures of some of you ladies because I feel like I am getting to know you without even knowing you. This thread was pretty funny with all the salty water and I like Rebeccas size ten mouth comment. girls are so much fun! I also like the "I haven't been 125 since I was ten comment". So i am just sitting here smiling at my computer since my hubby is at work and the sweethearts are sleeping; thanks for the company...kind of :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 07:41:43 PM by felmleyfam »
happy wife & momma ! When people say, "you have your hands full," I say, "and my heart!!!" It changes their negative attitude into a positive one in a few seconds flat